• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Fall Scheduling

JamesGeier

Time of past OR future Camino
Next:
Sanabres spring 2024
I walked the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela and the Camino Finisterre to Finisterre last spring, starting April 18 and ending May 26, 2016. I enjoyed the beauty of northern Spain in springtime - it was magnificent. It was not hot, there were only two days where I walked in short sleeves, most days I had long sleeves, and most mornings I wore a jacket.

I am planning on repeating the Camino Frances this year, and had intended on starting in April to walk across Spain in the spring again. Due to a work-related project for which I am responsible competing for my time in the spring, I am revising my plans to make the walk in the early fall. My schedule is quite open, I was considering the following two similar schedules:

1. Start from St. Jean PdP on August 27, arriving in Santiago on October 1
2. Start from St. Jean PdP on September 3, arriving in Santiago on October 8

Is this a good time to walk the Camino Frances? Will it be too hot or uncomfortable to start in late August? Would delaying even a week more to start on September 10 be even better, or will it be getting cold in mid-October in Galicia? What is it like to walk the Camino Frances in the fall?

Thank-you,
--jim--

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
JimGeier,

October/November is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Do be aware however that many albergues start to close mid October. For lots of personal commentary regarding walking at this time including a kit list see my Camino Gazetteer blog.

For what others have posted re Autumn walking see this earlier Forum thread.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

I think the later the better. I walked in September/October, 2013. September was much too hot for me and October was perfect. This year I am going in April / May (and hope I don't run into the mud that you did). I suspect it will be the reverse---better temps for me in April and a bit too warm in May.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My group is arriving to Santiago on October 1 so hopefully see you along the way.

Jim, I walked the Camino starting the first of Sept. and ending early Oct. 2015. It was lovely and relatively dry. I did not take a knit cap or light gloves and those were my only regrets. On several mornings, the temperature must have been close to 40F. During the day, it was usually in the 70sF. When it rains in Spain, it is intense and lasts for a long time, sometimes several days continuous. I only had two of those episodes in the Fall. And, actually, they were wonderful experiences too. In the Fall, there are ripe figs and blackberries along the trail. All of the grapevines are full and are being harvested. Fruit stands have a good selection to go with your Ruffles al sabor de Jamon. I am seriously considering venturing back in early Sept. for a second Camino too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I've walked in the fall I did so starting on the last week of September intil mid-October and it was hot. Day time temps in the low thirties were still the norm. You wouldn't find me in August to Mid-September in walking in Spain as I dislike the heat.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Jim, I'm walking out of SJPdP on the 3rd September - I have walked from there twice in early September and the weather was mostly sunny and hot! I kept my days fairly short as I'm not so good in the heat and will do the same this year - i'm not planning to reach Santiago until at least mid-October when the weather should be cooler and probably wetter - I take it slowly when it's hot as i'm acclimatised to the weather of a small island in the north-west of Scotland (cool, wet and windy!)!

Whichever you decide on, buen camino!

15 September to 31 October 2015. Only got really cool towards the very end. Early mornings generally beautiful but some very hot afternoons especially in the first half of the walk. I carried a set of thermals and used the pants once for a short time one frosty morning in late October and the top not at all. I did use gloves on many mornings especially towards the end. Rarely wore my fleece. But did wear my rain jacket as a warm layer most mornings and most evenings. Used my trusty umbrella for sun protection virtually every day (barring wind) until probably the last week and then I used it to keep me dry.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And it doesn't always get cold towards the end of October...
The 3 days we walked from Santiago to Fistera (29, 30 & 31 October 2016) were 26C (79F)!
But the weather varies significantly between years (2016 appears to have been very dry and mild until late, compared to many other years).
SJPdP 22 Sep - Fistera 31 Oct.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back