• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Feb 2017

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do hope you find folks walking in Febuary. I am sure you will, once you arrive, But the numbers are low on the forum.
Buen Camino
Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino. You will find other Pilgrims but much fewer than in the warm weather. We walked last March.

I walked a week in February. You will meet people but not too many. I enjoyed the cool, cold, breezy, blue skies...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone!
I'm looking forward to walk el Camino Frances around Feb 8, 2017! I would like to meet people along the way and possibly hike with other fellow peregrinos! So let me know if you will start around those dates!
Hello Karla,

I aim to start from SJPDP on the 7th of February. this will be my 4th February Camino-----that month suits my life style.

As there are not many pilgrims at that time after a couple of days on the road you will get to know everyone and you can be sure they will watch out for you. I always stay in the albergues and it really works to get the feeling of being on The Way.

There are lots of threads about gear and clothing in the Forum. Keep the weight down which keeps the spirits up !!

you didn`t say where you are starting from but I will watch out for you.

Buen Camino,

Charlie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would LOVE to hear how you go...I was thinking of going in Feb 18 but I have been a bit put off by tales of poor or just really cold weather, as I am from the subtropics and don't really have any experience of cold weather. Once snow was mentioned I lost my nerve, and I also heard alberges might not be open. What have you found out from your research so far?

Hi, I'm set to start on 1 February. I hope I find some fellow pilgrims, my last was in July 2014. There was no shortage of pilgrims then. I am nervous but excited, especially because I'm from South Africa and snow and cold are not common here.

COLD rule: wear Clean Overlapping Layers of Dry clothes.

You put on and take off layers to stay warm while avoiding sweating. The sweet spot is where you are just about uncomfortable.

Scarf and wool gloves are needed.

If your feet are cold put on a warm hat. You lose most of your heat from your head due to significant blood flow to your brain box.

You will generate a lot of heat walking with a pack. Don't sweat.

Sunglasses are essential in sunny conditions when there is snow on the ground. Sun screen should be used too.

You will encounter weather that is below freezing but it isn't usually really cold (defined here as below -5C).

Watch out for pavement that looks wet black in freezing temperatures. Its called black ice and provides zero traction resulting in slipping hazard.

Albergues in small villages are all closed. Plan to stay in the larger towns even if that means taking a shorter day.

Make yourself visible given poor light conditions in winter and get off the road when cars approach on narrow windy roads.

Wear plastic bags on your feet in snow if your boots aren't 100% waterproof.

I'm from Canada where there is a reputation for cold weather.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here are a few practical tips re choosing a bunk gleaned from more than 450 cumulative nights spent in pilgrim albergues over the past 10 years. Since I'm old a bottom bunk is a most convenient and in this internet age it is handy to have an electric socket close by.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Try not to take a bunk set side by side with another unless you truly know your bunk-mate; if you are sleeping next to a total stranger do at least introduce yourself! Generally it all works out as everyone sleeps in their own allotted space like peas in a pod. Nevertheless a few unhappy times I have had to find another bunk in the middle of the night due to a consistently overactive neighboring pilgrim who forgot where he was (and that I was old enough to be his grandmother) as he zealously thrashed into 'my' bunk space. Although memorable these were not restful moments.

Carpe diem and Buen camino!

Hi! Karla
I'm going to arrive at SJPP on 9th Feb and start to walk the French way on 10th Feb 2017!
Hope you meet somewhere!!! ^^

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I will start walking on Feb 26. We walked the Camino starting March 15 in 2014, we thought even earlier would be better this year. Cool walking weather, cold nights (bring a sleeping bag), less crowds. February will be awesome, see you all there.

Hello Karla,

I aim to start from SJPDP on the 7th of February. this will be my 4th February Camino-----that month suits my life style.

As there are not many pilgrims at that time after a couple of days on the road you will get to know everyone and you can be sure they will watch out for you. I always stay in the albergues and it really works to get the feeling of being on The Way.

There are lots of threads about gear and clothing in the Forum. Keep the weight down which keeps the spirits up !!

you didn`t say where you are starting from but I will watch out for you.

Buen Camino,

Charlie
Hello Charlie,
Thank you so much for your message. Time it's getting closer and it encourages me to know that this is your 4th Camino.
I want to start from SJDP but I have a Spanish friend who says that part might be close due to the harsh weather so he is advising me to start from Roncesvalles!
What's your experience with this?
Thank you hopefully we can meet!

Hi, I'm set to start on 1 February. I hope I find some fellow pilgrims, my last was in July 2014. There was no shortage of pilgrims then. I am nervous but excited, especially because I'm from South Africa and snow and cold are not common here.

I am nervous and also excited.
The weather sounds cold lol but I guess if you bring enough layers of clothes all will be ok. It's an adventurous experience but I'm happy I'm doing it. See you around!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
COLD rule: wear Clean Overlapping Layers of Dry clothes.

You put on and take off layers to stay warm while avoiding sweating. The sweet spot is where you are just about uncomfortable.

Scarf and wool gloves are needed.

If your feet are cold put on a warm hat. You lose most of your heat from your head due to significant blood flow to your brain box.

You will generate a lot of heat walking with a pack. Don't sweat.

Sunglasses are essential in sunny conditions when there is snow on the ground. Sun screen should be used too.

You will encounter weather that is below freezing but it isn't usually really cold (defined here as below -5C).

Watch out for pavement that looks wet black in freezing temperatures. Its called black ice and provides zero traction resulting in slipping hazard.

Albergues in small villages are all closed. Plan to stay in the larger towns even if that means taking a shorter day.

Make yourself visible given poor light conditions in winter and get off the road when cars approach on narrow windy roads.

Wear plastic bags on your feet in snow if your boots aren't 100% waterproof.

I'm from Canada where there is a reputation for cold weather.

Thank you so much this helps a lot .
I'm trying not to get discouraged before my departure time. Lol

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Is anyone starting on 1 or 2 February? I'm all packed and ready. Very excited but very nervous, especially about the cold. This Camino is so necessary and a real blessing!

I'm just about to book a trip to start around January 28th. I'll post back here when I know for sure!

OK trip is booked. Arrive into Paris Jan 28, starting on Jan 29th! I have until Feb 26th when my flight leaves Madrid. Looking forward to seeing who I met on the trip!

I'll be on IG while on the trip so feel free to add bradwilliamseas there!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

I will be starting the 1st of February from SJPDP (arriving January 31st with the last train). I am very excited and looking forward to the experience :)
Hope to meet some of you there!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Patty

Looks like I might be ahead of you. Are you starting from St. Jean Pied de Port? I'll be leaving from there on the 30th if everything goes according to plan.

I do want to start from SPDP if everything goes according to my plan! I was thinking that it depends on the weather and trail conditions but the other option is Rocenvalles. Yeah you will be like ten days ahead of me! I was hoping to stop in Barcelona for a few days but maybe I won't!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be starting in Fromista on 9. february - anyone around by that time let me know :)

Have a great trip Karla!
If you walk from St.Jean, the alternative route (by Valcarlos) or the highway is always open year round. It is only the high route (by Orrison) that is closed in winter.

Just remember layer on layer for chilly mornings....

I hastily sent home approx two kilos and bummed out.....my wrong

Finished El norte 1/1-17

Go for it!

Buen Camino Karla

I will be starting in Fromista on 9. february - anyone around by that time let me know :)

Have a great trip Karla!
If you walk from St.Jean, the alternative route (by Valcarlos) or the highway is always open year round. It is only the high route (by Orrison) that is closed in winter.

Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, can you please tell me how the weather was in March and were you able to find places to sleep?
We started in March and there was a lot of snow, rain. We walked through several days of snow, but mostly rain and overcast cloudy. Had 6 full days of sun. We walked then because that was the only time we had off. If I were to do the Frances again it would be mid April or October/ November. I am not complaining because we knew what the weather was going to be like. Much like where I live. Were are walking again in April 2019 and haven't decided which route yet.

€60,-
Thank you for this information. I think that I will go in late October. I was mainly worried that the abbergues would not be open in October/November. Also, I DO NOT want to walk in the snow. I'm from Southern California and it feels like it's freezing at 45 degrees fahrenheit.

Thank you for this information. I think that I will go in late October. I was mainly worried that the abbergues would not be open in October/November. Also, I DO NOT want to walk in the snow. I'm from Southern California and it feels like it's freezing at 45 degrees fahrenheit.
I don't believe you will have any problems finding beds.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
February is not for you!! All the higher elevations will have snow, and sometimes it will snow at the lower levels. October will have some albergue closings, but snow is rare.
Thank you so much. I am walking in Mid October 2018. I can't wait!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much. I am walking in Mid October 2018. I can't wait!
Just to let you know the weather can sure be different.
I walked the CF twice and was on the Meseta in early October and Galicia in late October. My first Camino I had 90 degree days on the Meseta and walking out of O’Cebreiro I walked in a snowstorm. Probably ended up with 3 or 4 inches. It was beautiful. Hd snow or rain almost every day.
I would much rather walk in snow.
The second time I walked it rained hard almost every day on the
Meseta with strong winds in my face all day and cool and clear in
Galicia every day. It will definitely be colder so bring some light and warm layers but when it comes to precipitation only the Camino knows! Be prepared and on case you don’t know pick up some newspapers on bars and stick them in your backpack. When it rains or snows crumple the newspapers up and stuff your shoes if they are wet inside as soon as you get to your Albergue. I really stuff them. Before you go to bed take out the wet papers and put dry ones in. Lots of Albergues will have newspaper but I always carry some just on case. If you already knew this, (you probably do) never mind!!! Lol buen Camino! I would be interested to know the crowds as I would love to do CF again but there are too many people for me when I usually walk which is in mid September to early November. I will be doing the Norte. I leave in 9 days! Can’t wait!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.