• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Followed by VdlP

Fares Ismail

Fares
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017), Invierno (2017)
Hello everyone,

As my starting day approaches, I’ve been looking at alternative routes (ones that are less traveled and crowded). I initially thought about doing the Camino Frances and taking the Invierno route from Ponferrada.

But recently I started thinking about following the Frances up until Astorga and then going down along the VdlP and walking the route passing by Ourense (Camino Sanabres?)

I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the route or advice. Should I stick with the initial plan (Invierno) or the new one?
Also if anyone knows how many kilometers the route is.
(Picture for added visuals :p)
1-SpainMapWithROUTESsmaller.jpg

Buen Camino,
Fares

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Sanabres route is very similar to the Camino Frances from Astorga to Santiago in distance and terrain. If you walk from Astorga to Granja de Moreruela to get to the Sanabres it would definitely add a few days to the distance. If you did want to walk the Frances and the Sanabres, one possibility is to take a bus from Leon to Granja. This would allow you to skip the relatively unpleasant section leaving Leon and result in almost exactly the same distance as if you completed the whole Camino Frances. Buen Camino.

The Sanabres route is very similar to the Camino Frances from Astorga to Santiago in distance and terrain. If you walk from Astorga to Granja de Moreruela to get to the Sanabres it would definitely add a few days to the distance. If you did want to walk the Frances and the Sanabres, one possibility is to take a bus from Leon to Granja. This would allow you to skip the relatively unpleasant section leaving Leon and result in almost exactly the same distance as if you completed the whole Camino Frances. Buen Camino.

Thank you for your advice!
I was hoping not to rely on busses and was thinking of walking this path:

upload_2017-7-19_16-52-57.png

Do you think its possible? I can stay in one of the small towns along the way.

Also do you recommend I do the Sanabres or just stick to the Invierno after Ponferrada?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The walk down to Mombuey would not be on a Camino, so you will not likely find anyone who has walked it. I have not walked the Invierno, so I cannot comment on that.

Hi Fares,
Wait until you arrive in Astorga and then decide if you want to leave the Frances to continue on another path! You may feel different then and prefer to stay on the Frances particularly if you have made camino friends.....which you will!!

However, if you do need to leave the Frances for another route to Santiago, consider El Salvador from Leon to Oviedo, rthen you could either continue on the Primitivo or Norte, lots of options.

If you were going to the Sanabres camino, i would walk from Astorga down the Vdlp to Granja de Moreruela where it meets the Sanabres. This would be a safer option compared to walking the road to Mombuey, and more accommodation options..

Buen Camino
Aidan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Fares,
I walked both Invierno and Sanabres (which are the same from A Laxe to SdC) and it's hard for me to prefer one over the other because I loved them equally. Both are stunning but maybe Invierno just a little bit tougher and also much more solitary.
But you don't have to walk all the way to La Granja de Moreruela to start Sanabres because there is a marked route from Benavente to Sta.Marta de Tera. But I only saw markers in Sta.Marta on the road coming from Benavente, haven't walked it yet! So that would shave off one stage from Benavente to La Granja and two stages from La Granja to Sta.Marta. Only saying this if you would be short on time. Otherwise I would recommend to walk south to La Granja because those two stages to Sta.Marta are very beautiful especially first day after crossing Rio Esla (if you turn left immediatelly after crossing the bridge).

Buen Camino!

Hi, Fares,
I walked both Invierno and Sanabres (which are the same from A Laxe to SdC) and it's hard for me to prefer one over the other because I loved them equally. Both are stunning but maybe Invierno just a little bit tougher and also much more solitary.
But you don't have to walk all the way to La Granja de Moreruela to start Sanabres because there is a marked route from Benavente to Sta.Marta de Tera. But I only saw markers in Sta.Marta on the road coming from Benavente, haven't walked it yet! So that would shave off one stage from Benavente to La Granja and two stages from La Granja to Sta.Marta. Only saying this if you would be short on time. Otherwise I would recommend to walk south to La Granja because those two stages to Sta.Marta are very beautiful especially first day after crossing Rio Esla (if you turn left immediatelly after crossing the bridge).

Buen Camino!

Thank you! This is very helpful

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back