• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances for 20 days...

biancadaze

I have been trying to plan my trip with consideration to school and work. Unfortunately I work full time and will only be able to take off 20 days; I am also a college student and would like to leave as soon as finals are over, sometime at the end of May, which I'm sure will be pretty busy, but that's no problem.

My main concern is in terms of where to start. I would love to start from the very beginning of SJPP, but I don't want to rush myself to the point where I miss so much of the experience, so I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas as to what a good starting point somewhere along the way of the Camino Frances that would allow me 20 days of proper walking; not too relaxed, not too rushed, so I can make it to Santiago de Compostela and be home on time. I'm not sure if this is a silly request.. If anyone happens to have any suggestions, I would truly appreciate it.

Also, in regards to tents, would it make sense to carry a small one person tent? I imagine the hostels may be somewhat crowded. Has anyone had negative experiences in terms of finding a place to settle down (tent) or any unhappy locals unwilling to permit tenting?

I was considering postponing my trip, but something about the time just feels right and for some reason I am unable to wrap my mind around traveling elsewhere, so if I must go for a shortened period of time then I'd like to try and make it work, regardless of the crowd or time allocated.

Well, thank you for your help in advance,
Bianca.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bianca,

Feel free to start where you wish. If you feel you would like to start at SJPP, then do so. Of course, this choice will require that you may need to take a bus to make up for your slightly shorter period. One solution is to walk until you find you do not enjoy the area, then jump ahead. Of course, you could choose to walk one of the other trails that are shorter.

Some pilgrims feel a deep commitment to walking the entire Camino. Others, not so much. It is a matter of personal choice.

Of course, if you would like to receive a Compostela you will need to have walked the last 100 km. Thus, you need to walk at least from Sarria onward.

Spend some time reviewing some of the trails, read how others felt about their Camino. You will find a breadth of information that will be helpful to you.

Using a tent is done, but there are not a great number of locations specifically designed for tents. You will find many pilgrims that feel their time in the albergues was a highlight of the time on Camino. Others are quite happy to walk alone with their own thoughts. Before I took a tent, I would attempt to understand my purpose for going on Camino. Further, I would think about how capable I am of being alone for extended periods.

You will feel what is right for you. Then all there is left is to do it and enjoy it.

Have a great Camino,

If you think you can walk 25 km per day for each of the 20 days, you could start in Burgos. A reasonably easy 14-15 day pilgrimage can begin in Leon, and leave you time in Santiago to go to Fisterra.

Go here to run some test plans:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
biancadaze said:
... snip ...
My main concern is in terms of where to start. I would love to start from the very beginning of SJPP, but I don't want to rush myself to the point where I miss so much of the experience, so I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas as to what a good starting point somewhere along the way of the Camino Frances that would allow me 20 days of proper walking; not too relaxed, not too rushed, so I can make it to Santiago de Compostela and be home on time. I'm not sure if this is a silly request.. If anyone happens to have any suggestions, I would truly appreciate it.
... snip ....

The Camino Frances does not start in SJPP, but rather in Obanos, shortly before Puenta la Reina, where the last of the four classical ways, the Via Tolosana, reaches the other three. Traditionally, a camino started foot at your home. Today, few people have the time for that, so feel free to start wherever it is possible for you. 20 days would give you enough time to walk from Burgos to SdC and maybe even on to Cap Finistera, the end of the world. I would not advise you to start in SJPP and pick stretches which are popular and use bus transport, because I think you would miss out on the feeling of having covered a certain stretch of the camino.

I'd go from Pamplona to Leon. It is one of my favorite sections, and you'd avoid the crowds towards the end. Go back and finish it next year. You'll have a great trip and come away psyched to return.

Some of the most beautiful scenery is in the Pyrenees and the last 150+ kms.
Many pilgrims walk the first 10 or 11 days (depending on whether you do St Jean to Ronceavalles in one day). You could try this schedule:

1 St Jean - Orisson 10 km 10 km
2 Orisson - Roncesvalles 15 km 25km
3 Roncesvalles - Zubiri 21.8 km 21.8 km
4 Zubiri - Pamplona 20.5 km 42.3 km
5 Pamplona - Obanos 21.1 km 63.4 km
6 Obanos - Estella 24.4 km 87.8 km
7 Estella - Los Arcos 21 km 108.8 km
8 Los Arcos - Viana 18 km 126.8 km
9 Viana - Navarrete 22.1 km 148.9 km
10 Navarrete - Azofra 22 km 170.9 km
11 Azofra - Santo Domingo de la Calzada 15.1 km 186 km
Day 11 or 12: Overnight in St Domingo

Bus to Villafranca del Bierzo (05:10 to 12:00 23.38 euro)
Start walking

13 Villafranca del Bierzo - La Faba 23.7 km
14 La Faba - Triacastela 25.6 km
15 Triacastela - Sarria 24.6 km
16 Sarria - Portomarín 22.4 km
17 Portomarín - Palas de Rei 25 km
18 Palas de Rei - Ribadiso da Baixo 25.7 km
19 Ribadiso da Baixo - Pedrouzo 22.4 km
20 Pedrouzo (FR 300 m) - Santiago de Compostela 19.2 km

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Bianca,

MichaelB10398 sound advice regarding a tent should be listened to, but having walked the Camino Frances, should I do it again, or any other Camino my preference would be to take a hammock. Today the modern ones come with a mosquito net and a waterproof fly sheet, they weigh less than a tent (1lb.15oz / 860g) and are easy to rig, choose the right site and I think you won't have any trouble camping the night. A pleasant experience on any clear night.

I would look for sites on my way into a town and if something was suitable and not to far out of town I would have dinner with fellow pilgrims and then walk back to the selected site. Best of both worlds company in the evening but no annoying early starters and snorers to contend with.

cheers
David

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I've actually booked my trip since this post and I am leaving March 22nd, landing in Leon on the afternoon of the 23rd and taking off from Santiago de Compostela on the afternoon of April 7th.

I have my pack and shoes ready.. Still tweaking the packing list; I've looked into the sleeping mat issue and I see a lot of people found they didn't use it.. but since it's a holy year, maybe the albergues will be packed and I may find myself in need of one? Would a simple yoga mat suffice and maybe use some sort of scarf as blanket? I'm a bit confused on that matter... Otherwise, I'm a bit nervous! I've never traveled this far before, much less on my own! So I am both anxious and excited.

Also, I'm thinking about taking the John Brierley guide, since it seems to be pretty popular, is that up to date with albergues and such? Should I try booking in advance before I go?

Thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Bianca.

Bianca,

the pilgrims' albergues cannot be booked in advance.

About "sleeping material" : might be a good thing, but only a scarf as blanket is definitely not enough!
I started last year end of april from Saint Jean, but even at that moment, it was still quite cold in Spain (till mid-may). I was more than happy to have a +- warm sleeping bag, to have a warm fleece jacket and to have gloves in the morning!
So, try to find the right balance between weight and comfort to enjoy your camino.

About using a tent : can anyone tell me whether it is save as woman alone to camp on the Camino?
(Frances or others)?
Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are a lot of private albergues that require a credencial that can be booked ahead. Have a look at the Red de Albergues website for a brochure (click on Folletos) and print side A and side B.
http://www.redalberguessantiago.com/

I use a sleeping bag liner in summer and ask for a blanket when I book into the albergues. You can get liners in silk for summer or fleece liner for winter. But, March and early April can be perishingly cold and you'll be heading into the Irago Mountains and over 1500m from Leon. Take thermal underwear at least!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back