• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances from Astorga in 15 days...

Saint Francesco

Hi dear friends... I have some 2 weeks to do my Camino for the first time and I planned to do it in August. I have some 15 days free. My plan was to start in Astorga because I don't want to miss the Cruz de Ferro. Is it possible to walk it in that time and in which way should I "jump" in the Camino at that point? How to come to Astorga? I'm 38, female, in a good shape, active, packed the minimum, come from Split, Croatia and travelling alone. Thanks for all your replies...Buen Camino... :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You have 280 Kms to cover which you could do comfortably in 15 days by walking an average of 18-19 Kms/day.

Astorga is very accesible from major Spanish cities by bus or train. If you arrive at Madrid-Barajas Airport, get to Terminal 4 (free bus), get to the ALSA Bus Sales Counter and there are 6 buses/day leaving from T4 to Astorga. The express one leaves at 3:45pm and it is 33 Euros versus 24 Euros (with stops).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the advices. I'm happy to hear that I can do it in two weeks without rushing around.
:) And I really need a good "connection" to come quick and safe to Astorga because I'm not so good in planning traffic in Spain.

I did Astorga to Santiago in a fairly easy 10 days. I think it was in the region of 270km of walking, most days were 25'ish km but with one day of 37km.

I flew into Santiago and got the train to Astorga. It's an easy walk from the station to the albergue to get your credencial and start walking from there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,

I'm going to walk also from Astorga to Santiago de Compostela in August, I hope to do it within 13 days.

Maybe we'll meet on the road :) I'll start my journey on 29 August.
Buen Camino!

P.S. You can find all the information about backpack, sleeping, eating in this forum.

I will be walking 7 days from Roncesvalles in September this year and then hoping to find my way to Astorga to walk for another two weeks into Santiago. It is very comforting to see the replies in this thread that suggest that that should be entirely manageable. Could anyone tell me how easy or otherwise it will be for me to find transport to Astorga from wherever I manage to get to after my first week from Roncesvalles? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. This will be my first Camino and I am excited and terrified in equal measures! Mary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Saint Francesco

Completely manageable. I did it 2 years ago mostly in the company of a girl your age (but she wasn't really fit) in 12 days. Those stages were really nice walks. If you want I can PM you my stages which weren't really guidebook stages. In your language if preferred :wink:

Ultreia!

Re: Re: Camino Frances from Astorga in 15 days...

Saint Francesco said:
Thanks Stuart, have you some other advices for me? Backpack, sleeping, eating...? I would appriciate any info. :)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

My route went:
Rabanal
Molinaseca
Villafranca
O Cebreiro
Triacastela
Sarria
Portomarin
San Xulian
Salceda
Santiago

Advice... Miss out Sarria and spend the night either before or after.

Be prepared for how difficult the second day is. You're doing a mountain crossing immediately after a very easy start in Astorga. Most people are hitting it after a couple of weeks walking. I'm fairly fit and the descent from Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo was probably harder than the ascent to O Cebreiro because I wasn't used to big descents.

Make sure you pick up food in Astorga as there are not many shops between there and El Acebo.

On a short Camino like this... It gets a bit weird the closer you get to Santiago. People have spent a month with their companions by this point and you really notice that the bonds you've made with people over the last few days aren't as strong as the bonds they've made with others over the last few weeks. As the end approaches other people start to naturally think more towards those that they've been through the whole thing with than with you. I found the closer I got to Santiago the more time I was spending alone. Which isnt a complaint, mentally it was actually very nice.

I went very lightweight. No poles, no sleeping bag. I did a mix of albergues and hotels. Food, I generally did a menu del dia every day either for lunch or dinner and skipped breakfast in favour of snacks like bananas and nuts.

Best bit of advice... Avoid Monte de Gozo like the plague. Forget all the rubbish about having to stop there, when you reach it just keep going into Santiago. It's a dump. If you have limited time don't waste it in, as someone called it, the concentration camp.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks KinkyOne...please sent me all you have, everything is welcome :) English, German, Croatian...all plays...:) It's my first Camino, I'm limited in time :-( but happy to do it anyway... dreaming about it for some ten years...yeah! I hope this is the year... ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Re: Camino Frances from Astorga in 15 days...

Saint Francesco said:
Stuart...THANKS... great advices...I'm a little bit in panic how to organise my arrival from Split, Cro to Astorga...huh...last min flight... :)

I went last minute too. Decided to go on Monday, was in Astorga by Wednesday afternoon :)

Both the ALSA and RENFE networks in Spain are very good.

I went last minute too. Decided to go on Monday, was in Astorga by Wednesday afternoon :)

Both the ALSA and RENFE networks in Spain are very good.

Hahaha...great!!! So I'm not the only one, huh... :lol:
My greatest fears are how to organise my flight from Croatia to??? Madrid? Or?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good advice from StuartM as regards to choices if stays. Depends what you like, but I would rather choose to stay either in La Faba or in La Laguna, rather than going on to O'Cebreiro.
Both La Faba and La Laguna offer a quiet Albergue in the countryside. If you like all the bustle that the rather touristic O'Cebreiro offers, then go for that! Anne

I think the Vueling (http://www.vueling.com) from Split to Asturias/Oviedo would be the best. Both for the price and time constraints. For example:
- plane Split - Oviedo on 15.08. (1 stop in Barcelona) 09:25 - 14:15 = 218€,
- train (http://www.renfe.com) Oviedo - Leon on 15.08. at 17:49 - 19:59 = 20€,
- vou can stay overnight in Leon, which I would recommend (or in Oviedo and proceed on 16.08.)
- train Leon - Astorga on 16.08. at 07:13 - 07:49 = 5€
- and you start walking early in the morning,
- plane SdC - Split on 27.08. (1 stop in BCN) 22:10 - 08:50 on 28.08. = 153€ (cheapest in August).
- that makes together = 396€
- this would give you at most 12 full days of walking.

Connection Split - SdC (and back) with transfer to Astorga will be at cheapest option for ca.14 days approximately 425€, but you wouldn't be able to start walking until 13:00.

Connection via Madrid on 01.08. (and return on 14.08., actually on 15th in the morning in Split) and night train to Astorga (22:30 - 03:43) would be 418€.

Hope something of that would be helpfull.

PM me your E-mail and I'll send you some more info in Croatian :)

Ultreia!

KinkyOne ...sent you a PM...Hvala... :D
annakappa...thanks for your advices... :) I'll see that your very experience so a few question for you...
backpack...ahh...bought a Deuter aircontact 55+10...great backpack but tooo heavy for walking so long...now I must buy a new (beginner's fail... ) So, what do you think...

http://www.deuter.com/en/DE/product/1-11/34271/
http://www.mckinley.eu/hardware-rucksac ... 388w-p2240 or
http://www.mckinley.eu/hardware-rucksac ... ar-40-p596

that's a few backpacks that are available in my town, for a reasonable money...and I don't must wait.

I would appreciate any advice... not to overload me again... :D
Thanks...

Saint Francis! You sent me a PM, but there was nothing written by you!
For the backpacks, my husband has that exact Deuter one and he is very, very pleased with it!
Anne

Sorry Anna... I thought I was copy-pasting the text... :( but thanks... for your reply for the Deuter... it is important for me that it is enough place and light enough ... thanks for everything... :)

annakappa said:
Good advice from StuartM as regards to choices if stays. Depends what you like, but I would rather choose to stay either in La Faba or in La Laguna, rather than going on to O'Cebreiro.
Both La Faba and La Laguna offer a quiet Albergue in the countryside. If you like all the bustle that the rather touristic O'Cebreiro offers, then go for that! Anne

Are those the albergues you pass on the climb up to O Cebreiro not far from reaching the top? They did look nice and quiet. I remember one looked like it had a lot of character and I was tempted to stop.

I did it in October so O Cebreiro had less hustle bustle and at about 4pm everyone disappeared. I can imagine what it's like in summer but it was lovely spending the evening there. If I was doing it again... I don't know. The albergue is a bit clinical, nice and clean and very well provisioned but really lacking in character. Really atmospheric place but yep, you're right, it's got pluses and minuses. Food wasn't especially brilliant either as I remember.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just finished the Camino Frances on June 18, and we stayed at the albergue at La Laguna. Really liked it there. We had a room with 4 bunk beds and our own bathroom. The staff was very friendly and the food was quite good in the bar downstairs. I highly recommend staying there. Just thought I would put my two cents in on your question.
Nikki

crogh said:
I just finished the Camino Frances on June 18, and we stayed at the albergue at La Laguna. Really liked it there. We had a room with 4 bunk beds and our own bathroom. The staff was very friendly and the food was quite good in the bar downstairs. I highly recommend staying there. Just thought I would put my two cents in on your question.
Nikki
I've stayed once in a room for 4, once in a room for 6, each time with own bathroom. Last year, we arrived late and slept under the roof with about 12 beds. Luz, who is part owner with her brother, is always present with a smile.
And next morning, you leave refreshed to walk the final stretch up to 0'Cebreiro, taking in the stunning scenery, without rushing and tired out, hoping for a bed at the Albergue there! Anne

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.