• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances from Bordeux

Ângela Massa

Time of past OR future Camino
Le-Puy + CF (2020)
Hello, my name is Ângela, I'm 24 and I want to do the Camino Frances next April (2020). But I want to start some kms before SJPdP. Do you think that starting from Bordeaux is a good option? Do you have any other suggestions for a starting point (before SJPdP) and why? I'm open to any recommendations/new idea
SJPdP-Santiago has a lots of information, so I have questions about Bordeaux-SJPdP:
(the questions are also applicable to your possible suggestion route with other initial point)

-How much time do you think I need to get Santiago? 40 days +/-?
-From Bordeaux is the route really well marked? (this is a really important question) Smartphone with gps is enough to do the trail?
-The albergues or other similar places require a pre reservation?
-Between April first and May is a good time in terms of weather, right?
-Is dangerous do the path from initial point to SJPdP "alone"?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Angela - Bordeaux to St Jean starts of with days of being flat and level. This is the area named Les Landes and was once under the sea. It is now all pine forests but there are almost no tracks so there is a few days walking with traffic and absolutely nothing to see except pine tress - there are also some large horse flies down there too.

Possibly a more pleasant route would be to pick up on the Le Puy Camino route as it is rather beautiful and goes through some lovely towns and villages. Moissac is a good starting place as it has a main line train station so is easy to get to - have a look at the route maps you can find online. Another plus for starting somewhere like Moissac is that you would eventually go through the town of Condom - the perfect place to send postcards home telling people you are being safe :D.

Time to Santiago? Who knows? Guide books go for 35 days-ish from St Jean but this does not allow for injury or rest days .. if you want to start somewhere in France and also take it easy you might be better factoring in at least 50 days.

Signage in France is not quite like Spain - the routes go along French walking routes - the GR - and they have their own colours. As they are for walkers as well as pilgrims they tend to be marked pretty well.

I can't answer the pre-reservation question as I never do that, I never know how far I will walk and am quite happy to see how it turns out at the end of the day, each day.

Spring in western Europe is normally pleasant, warm and sunny - but we have been having odd weather systems the last few years- it could be hot and sunny, it could be cold rain, it could even snow! so you would need to keep an eye on the forecasts as you get closer to going - but on the whole it is usually a lovely time to walk. mind you, I was out doing first aid in April this year and it was freezing!! So cold that I became ill. (Or maybe me being ill made me think it was colder than it was).

The danger you speak of I also cannot answer. Bad things happen everywhere, true, but on the whole Caminos are safe. Though there will be less pilgrims in France so you will be walking alone a lot of the time. I have never heard of a pilgrim having problems in France.

All the above is not 'truth' but only my opinion, so do make your own choices after getting in all the info.

Enjoy the planning!!

In 2012 we found there was little on offer as far a accommodation was concerned, plus we knew next to nothing about Camino life. Thing May have greatly changed now.
I've been told one needs to contact the Mairie (town hall) in each stopping place and enquire about accommodation locally.
There are regional pilgrim associations, they will have accommodation lists.

We abandoned that stretch , took a train from Bordeaux to Dax, bus from there and walked from St.Palais to Ostabat to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Angela - Bordeaux to St Jean starts of with days of being flat and level. This is the area named Les Landes and was once under the sea. It is now all pine forests but there are almost no tracks so there is a few days walking with traffic and absolutely nothing to see except pine tress - there are also some large horse flies down there too.

Possibly a more pleasant route would be to pick up on the Le Puy Camino route as it is rather beautiful and goes through some lovely towns and villages. Moissac is a good starting place as it has a main line train station so is easy to get to - have a look at the route maps you can find online. Another plus for starting somewhere like Moissac is that you would eventually go through the town of Condom - the perfect place to send postcards home telling people you are being safe :D.

Time to Santiago? Who knows? Guide books go for 35 days-ish from St Jean but this does not allow for injury or rest days .. if you want to start somewhere in France and also take it easy you might be better factoring in at least 50 days.

Signage in France is not quite like Spain - the routes go along French walking routes - the GR - and they have their own colours. As they are for walkers as well as pilgrims they tend to be marked pretty well.

I can't answer the pre-reservation question as I never do that, I never know how far I will walk and am quite happy to see how it turns out at the end of the day, each day.

Spring in western Europe is normally pleasant, warm and sunny - but we have been having odd weather systems the last few years- it could be hot and sunny, it could be cold rain, it could even snow! so you would need to keep an eye on the forecasts as you get closer to going - but on the whole it is usually a lovely time to walk. mind you, I was out doing first aid in April this year and it was freezing!! So cold that I became ill. (Or maybe me being ill made me think it was colder than it was).

The danger you speak of I also cannot answer. Bad things happen everywhere, true, but on the whole Caminos are safe. Though there will be less pilgrims in France so you will be walking alone a lot of the time. I have never heard of a pilgrim having problems in France.

All the above is not 'truth' but only my opinion, so do make your own choices after getting in all the info.

Enjoy the planning!!
Thank you so much for your answer. After reading a lots of text, opinions and searching for information/ how to plan this journey I decided that I want to start in Le-Puy-en-Velay

Or somewhere along that route that gives you the right amount of time - it is rather beautiful and civilised - the only downside of walking in France is the shock you will get when you start walking in Spain!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back