• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances from Pamplona February 2022

kevinJwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Hello!

I will be starting the Frances from Pamplona next week traveling from Denver, US. I have the first few days reserved until Logrono and wanted suggestions on how far ahead I should attempt to reserve. Would like to keep some flexibility but understand it may be difficult due to my walk being in the winter and during the pandemic. 5 days ahead? A day ahead for the remainder of the trip? Any input is much appreciated.

The winter list has been very helpful so far http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
kevinJwalker,

You must be very excited as your departure date nears.
Please do read this recent post
re possible winter problem areas /needs.

Since so much changes daily on the camino during these difficult times try to post what you find is the current situation as you walk.

Stay safe, Carpe diem, and
Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I suspect this time of year, your problem will be more about whether or not the lodging is open vs beds being available. I also suggest you budget for privates between the larger cities/villages.

I spent a week on the Frances around New Year's (about a month ago) and found the list you mentioned to be accurate and very helpful. I booked my week of accommodation in advance but in the end it wasn't necessary. Like others mentioned, it'd be worth a call ahead (maybe a few days before) to confirm that they are indeed open and I agree with @henrythedog that once you're on the trail, the hospitaleros can help you decide if/how far ahead you want to reserve.

Buen Camino!

Call ahead the day before unless it is a holiday and use the aprinca website you have in your post. It won't list everything, but can give you a good idea of where accommodation will be. Some albergues that don't take reservations are still great options though.

You may also want to use the Gronze website. It is in Spanish, but can be translated with a Google Chrome browser. Good and usually current information about what is open.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello!

I will be starting the Frances from Pamplona next week traveling from Denver, US. I have the first few days reserved until Logrono and wanted suggestions on how far ahead I should attempt to reserve. Would like to keep some flexibility but understand it may be difficult due to my walk being in the winter and during the pandemic. 5 days ahead? A day ahead for the remainder of the trip? Any input is much appreciated.

The winter list has been very helpful so far http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Thank you!
I am starting the Camino Frances from SJPDP next month and have reservations as far as Villafranca Montes through Booking.com
Hello!

Thank you!

Hello!

Thank you!
I am starting my own Pilgrimage from SJPDP next month and reserved my accommodation up until Villafranca Montes from Booking.com , half of which are Alberques and prices range from €12 to €27 (with en suite rooms) and have found that some Alberques do not open their doors this time of the year ...saying that
Hello!

Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am starting my own Pilgrimage from SJPDP next month after flying in from the UK and have reserved places to stay as far as Villafranca Montes ..prices range from €12 to €30 for private rooms with en suite bathrooms through Booking.com .anymore reservations will not be made until I reach Pamplona myself on the third day ..with the pandemic I think the Pilgrim numbers will be down ..there is a website called camino beds which lists the Alberques but for me I am just going to go and enjoy the experience over the 35-40 days and hike the hike ..I not booked my flight back as I am in no rush I just take each day as it comes as I have never experienced this distance before ..oh and don't forget the free wine tap stop en route which I happen to come across on my research ..finally take care and savour every moment and hope you will have a spiritual encounter .

Thank you everyone for the input, the two links provided are also very helpful.

I'm happy to post a few updates along the way. Beyond excited for the trip!!!!!

Thank you everyone for the input, the two links provided are also very helpful.

I'm happy to post a few updates along the way. Beyond excited for the trip!!!!!
I'll be starting in SJPDP early March, will be following your updates! Enjoy the adventure!

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino Francés in October/November 2021. As also mentioned in another post above, the main problem for me was places closing down for the low season, rather than filling up (those that were open). It is for this reason that I had to plan a few days ahead to make sure that my stages were of logical lengths. For example, what's the use of walking 35 km on one day, when your options the following day are 15 or 45, with nothing in between... I had this problem constantly because I kept falling out of sync with the standard stages.

Also, it is likely that before setting off, you do not know how your body (and mind) will adapt to the camino so it may be better not to tie yourself down too much. Instead, take the experience of the first days, and use that to plan ahead. In my case, I decided to speed up a little, because I realised that I could walk longer distances comfortably.

I wish you all the best. I am sure that your winter camino will be a peaceful and rewarding experience.

Update from Burgos - There are plenty of places to stay, some are recommended to get a reservation but hasn't been necessary for many. There are around 10-15 pilgrims going from stage to stage every night from Pamplona to Burgos so there is company at night but the trail each day is very quiet and this has been great.

It has now been almost 4 months since I made it to Santiago (March 4th). I lost track of this but was loving the experience so much I then walked to Fisterra did the Portuguese route in reverse until the Fatima routes to Nazare. The most interesting part of this route was that you were on the old Roman road from Lisboa-Braga for a good amount.

I can't wait to hike the Camino again but will likely wait a few years just to let this experience fester and visit new parts of the world. The experience was very powerful for me and continues to change me even after the walk. My main recommendation for the walk is to try to do in the off season, if you are from a colder climate northern Spain is just fine in the winter. Main benefits are not having to fight crowds and getting more chances to interact with the lovely local people. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back