• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - General

5ilver

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello fellow pilgrims!
We are looking to walk our first Camino in September this year. However, we need some assistance in making this work.
We will arrive in CDG (Paris) Airport after 10pm and was looking to catch a sleeper train direct to either Bayonne or St Jean Pied de Port. Does anyone know if this is possible and who with? My research has turned up zero results for anything after 8pm.

Next question - we believe there is a big issue concerning bedbugs at albergues. I'm seeking recommendations on products to use against these critters (i.e. an effective spray or some sort).

Thanking you all in advance!
Ngan

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello and welcome to the forum. I can't help about the trains. It might well be possible that you are arriving too late for a night departure from Paris. Regarding bedbugs, there is no simple or guaranteed solution, but if you enter the word in the forum search field in the upper right of your screen, you'll find all the opinions you could want!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Use Rome2Rio you can put in Paris and your destination. There does not seem to be a late train. My suggestion is you sleep over take a train in the am.

We didn't want to spend the night in Paris if we can avoid it. It seems unnecessary to get out of CDC airport, pay for accommodation for a few hours before we have to checkout and go catch a train. :(

Go to the SNCF website - trains from Paris leave from MOntparnasse, one hour plus from CDG. Put in your exact date to see schedule, normally only 2 per day, the first one between 9 and 10 am, the second one just after midday.
My husband and I are in a similar situation, but going from CDG to Lourdes and from there to the Aragones. We also arrive late and will be taking the airport shuttle immediately after arriving, then stay overnight near Montparnasse to continue the journey next day. Tip: pre book your train ticket directly on line and as soon as you can for the best prices.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome @5ilver

Hard to know details for sure without your dates but just done some checking on the SNCF website and apart from a cars only train leaving from Montparnasse for Biarritz at 10pm it looks like there's no train leaving anywhere near that late.

On at least some dates however there's an Easyjet flight leaving leaving at 7am and arriving in Biarritz at 8.25am for about €50, there are also plenty of decent looking hotels around CDG for around €50 which I think combined would be cheaper, more comfortable and a lot less hassle than getting into Paris and getting an overnight train south even if you could.

Buen Camino,

If you are flying, just make sure you check from which airport. CDG and Orly are over an hour apart, but there is a direct shuttle and/or train between them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
train direct to either Bayonne or St Jean Pied de Port
You can book to SJPdP, but the segment from Bayonne to SJPdP is a standing-room, non-reservation train, for which a bus is sometimes substituted. The bus, when used, leaves from the front of the train station. A car or van is shown for one route on September 6:

1532080291195.png

Hello fellow pilgrims!
We are looking to walk our first Camino in September this year. However, we need some assistance in making this work.
We will arrive in CDG (Paris) Airport after 10pm and was looking to catch a sleeper train direct to either Bayonne or St Jean Pied de Port. Does anyone know if this is possible and who with? My research has turned up zero results for anything after 8pm.

Next question - we believe there is a big issue concerning bedbugs at albergues. I'm seeking recommendations on products to use against these critters (i.e. an effective spray or some sort).

Ngan
I walked two Caminos without any bites, and many people can say the same. I did get bitten in an expensive apartment after the Camino.
My solution: take precautions, treat my sleeping bag with Permethrin (but I didn't do the liner as I didn't want it next to my skin), and my pack to prevent giving the little guys a lift to the next place. Be diligent and check your bed for signs.
And my excitement at finding nice crisp sheets in the apartment lulled me into a false sense of security, I didnt use my sleeping bag and I didn't check the bed first..

Last edited:
I walked two Caminos without any bites
I have walked a lot more than that, also without bites. However, I have SEEN lots of bed bugs and their traces, as close as having one drop on my arm from a top bunk (thus evading my permethrin treated sheet and sleep sack). They are out there, can be anywhere, and exist whether someone has personally been bitten or not. Reports that state the writer has not been bitten does not mean there are no bed bugs!!:)

Be Prepared (that's the Boy Scout marching song)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bedbugs do not always reside in beds...they often come from the walls and on to the beds...check comments made in reviews of places. Do not stay in Ages!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome @5ilver

Hard to know details for sure without your dates but just done some checking on the SNCF website and apart from a cars only train leaving from Montparnasse for Biarritz at 10pm it looks like there's no train leaving anywhere near that late.

On at least some dates however there's an Easyjet flight leaving leaving at 7am and arriving in Biarritz at 8.25am for about €50, there are also plenty of decent looking hotels around CDG for around €50 which I think combined would be cheaper, more comfortable and a lot less hassle than getting into Paris and getting an overnight train south even if you could.

Buen Camino,

Yes, do look into flying instead. I have done both and the flight option is much faster, much cheaper and a more enjoyable experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow pilgrims!

Ngan

I sprayed my bag and clothing with Permethrin which is available in backpacking stores. I walked the Camino in Set-Oct-Nov without any problems. That said, one piece of advice. Ask to see the sleeping area and bathrooms to check for cleanliness before putting your Euros down. As you will learn, not all alburges are the same. Sweet travels

I will be doing my 4th Frances starting August this year. I have never had a problem with bedbugs because I treat my sheet and two pillowcases (in Spain the pillows go from one side of a single bed all the way to the other side - they are L O N G and that's why you need 2) with pyrethrum diluted in water. I make up enough to do just two soaks in the mixture.

I do one soak and put them out to dry then soak a second time and make sure that all the water is soaked so that I get a double dose on pyrethrum as it's a long walk to Santiago and I need sheets that will still repel/kill the bed bugs until I get to Santiago.

Pyrethrum is about as safe as it is possible for a repellant to be. It is made from the pyrethrum flower and I have never had a problem using it and it has never failed me.

Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be doing my 4th Frances starting August this year. I have never had a problem with bedbugs because I treat my sheet and two pillowcases (in Spain the pillows go from one side of a single bed all the way to the other side - they are L O N G and that's why you need 2) with pyrethrum diluted in water. I make up enough to do just two soaks in the mixture.

I do one soak and put them out to dry then soak a second time and make sure that all the water is soaked so that I get a double dose on pyrethrum as it's a long walk to Santiago and I need sheets that will still repel/kill the bed bugs until I get to Santiago.

Pyrethrum is about as safe as it is possible for a repellant to be. It is made from the pyrethrum flower and I have never had a problem using it and it has never failed me.

Buen Camino.

Hi Lance,

Can you advise if Pyrethrum is brought in spray form and you just dilute it and do your double soaking?

So far, these are the ones i have found:
1) https://www.google.com.au/shopping/...MIiay04s253AIViqmWCh0chgxBEAYYASABEgKOVPD_BwE

2) https://www.easypestsupplies.com.au/py-bo-natural-pyrethrum-concentrate

Lastly, what is the differences between Pyrethrum and permethrin?

Thank you!

You can book to SJPdP, but the segment from Bayonne to SJPdP is a standing-room, non-reservation train, for which a bus is sometimes substituted. The bus, when used, leaves from the front of the train station. A car or van is shown for one route on September 6:

View attachment 44650

It looks like flying or catching the next morning's train might be the better option. Do you know if it is best to catch the train from Montparnasse or from CDG?
Thank you

Welcome @5ilver

Buen Camino,

Hey Dorpie,

Thank you for your post. It does sound like we should fly if it is easier and possibly cheaper? Is it only Easyjet that does the budget option?
Have you stayed at any decent accommodation you can recommend in CDG?

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, as you are arriving in Paris after 10pm, with little chance of moving on at that time of night, I would book a hotel for TWO nights, and spend a full day being a tourist in Paris.
Jill

THANK YOU JILL! Love your pearls :0) xox

It looks like flying or catching the next morning's train might be the better option. Do you know if it is best to catch the train from Montparnasse or from CDG?
Thank you

As far as I know the train goes from Montparnasse only. We ll be staying at Ibis near CDG on our way out (with free transfers), but check on booking.com for possible even cheaper options.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Dorpie,

Thank you for your post. It does sound like we should fly if it is easier and possibly cheaper? Is it only Easyjet that does the budget option?
Have you stayed at any decent accommodation you can recommend in CDG?

Thank you!
You're welcome @5ilver

Sorry I've no personal experience of Charles De Gaulle Airport so can't be much help regarding accomodation, but as you'll only be there a few hours potentially I'm guessing proximity to the airport will be as important as anything else.

As far as I can tell only Easyjet and Air France fly the Paris-Biarritz route but it's possible that there are others that just don't come up on the main search sites.

Good luck making a plan.

Rob.

Hello fellow pilgrims!

Ngan
Hi there
We have walked two camiinos and had no problems anywhere with bedbugs, in fact more problems in hotels in the States!! Gross!!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.