• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in 3 parts

Barefootgirl

Greetings,

I did search the forum for this topic, but did not see it covered directly.

I am planning to walk the Camino France in 3 parts, with the first 2 taking place while I am still employed and the final stage after I am retired and not on a fixed schedule.

Tentatively, my plan for the first part of my journey, to take place next fall, would be to spend 2 weeks hiking the Camino during my two week vacation from my job. I might also consider some brief side travel while in Europe (I live in the US), so perhaps not the entire 14 days on foot, lol.

Would love to get any advice on this first part of the Journey. For example, a good location to plan to start from and plan to end from in order to cover approximately 2 weeks. I do not plan to walk for speed, but maybe to cover approximately 5, 6 or maybe 7 miles/day? (please comment on whether this is typical).

Thank you all so much, Barefooted one :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am doing mine in 3 parts too. Last year I did Leon to Santiago and took my time.. took about 3 weeks.

This year, I am returning to do St Jean Pied de Port to Burgos in about 3 weeks again.

Next year, I will return to do Burgos to Leon and then from Santiago to Finesterre.

Take your time. No need to rush. Every time you go, you will meet different people and have a different experience.

Not a bad plan, at 5-6-7 miles a day I would not recommend starting from St Jean since the Route Napoleon is 15 miles all straight up or straight down-Valcarlos almost as far with a lot of tarmac. Roncesvalles to Pamplona at your elected speed would take four days and give you a taste of the Camino and a visit in a lovely Spanish town-Pamplona. Pamplona to say Estella would be another five days and show you lovely spots such as the statues on Alto Perdon, the Eunate Church, the bridge at Puente La Reina, to stumble along the Roman road after Cirauqui, and to see both Santo Sepulchro and San Miguel in Estella-a nice introduction to the Camino and Estella is an easy place to get in to or out from by bus. The next stretch Estella to Los Arcos is about 14 miles a lonely but lovely walk through the mountains or alternatively stopping at the albergue at Villamayor de Monjardin on the way to Los Arcos-with an atmosphere something like a gas station-Los Arcos is easier to get out of then Villamayor de Monjardin. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back