• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in 3 weeks?

noway

Hi,

want to walk the entire Camino Frances from st JPP in 20 days, and spending 2 days for travel and 2 days for rest). Anyone here that have done it? i know its not a race, but i can only take 3 weeks off from work. I guess that would mean averaging around 40km a day? Any views? tips?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi,

want to walk the entire Comino Frances from st JPP in 20 days, and spending 2 days for travel and 2 days for rest). Anyone here that have done it? i know its not a race, but i can only take 3 weeks off from work. I guess that would mean averaging around 40km a day? Any views? tips?

Hi noway, welcome to the forum, I walked from St Jean to Santiago in 21 days last year and one other forum member I know of has walked it in 20 days, I'm a regular hill walker in Ireland and built on this general fitness by stepping up my hikes duration and distance substantially in the 3 months before I started. Shortest day 19 kms, longest day 49 kms on the camino so it can readily be done with reasonable fitness and proper preparation.

Buen camino

Seamus

Roman Road.jpg One of the things I learned during my Camino is that "20Km" is not a precise measurement of distance walked. My partner and I started in Leon which is about 190 miles from SDC but we estimated (based on actual time walking) that we did between 200 to 220 miles because of all the twists and turns in the path. Also you must factor changes in elevation and the fact that some sections of the Camino are not the most ideal surfaces for walking/running. Just look at this picture above from one of the pilgrims and you will get an idea what I'm talking about.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"
DHS

For this older pilgrim it seems like quite a challenge. But if your feet can keep up with your heart and spirit you can make it work. Please check in from time to time so we will know how your are doing. I hope that you have a Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Thanks for all input so far!

The plan is to leave from Norway on Friday the 19th of June and then be back home on Sunday the 12th of July.
Counting these two days for travel, leaves 21 days for walking and one day sightseeing in SdC.

Those of you who have done it in similar times: care to share some more details on the stages etc?

Also, anything I should be aware of by choosing to walk early summer?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My 40+ km days in 2013 were:

Moratinos - Mansilla se las Mulas 48.2 kms ( via Calzada Romana ).
Villafranca Monte de Oca - Burgos 47.0 kms ( including 12 kms unintended off route mishap ).
Gonzar - Arzua 45.9 kms
Samos - Gonzar 44.8 kms
Foncebadon - Cacabelos 43.7 kms
Villares de Orbigo - Foncebadon 41.3 kms
Los Arcos - Navarette 41.3 kms
Ruitelan - Samos 41.2 kms
Burgos - Castrojeriz 41.2 kms
Castrojeriz - Villacazar de Sirga 40.1 kms

Shortest day was Mansilla de las Mulas - Leon ( 20.1 kms ) for my night in Parador San Marcos :) :)

None of the long days was forced by having to keep walking to find a bed, just found that I quite liked walking during the afternoon until 4 or 5 once there was somewhere I could get a cold drink every hour or 2.

SJPdP - Roncesvalles - Viliava - Maneru - Los Arcos - Navarette - Santa Domingo de Calziada - Villa Franca - Burgos - Castro Jerez - Publacion de Campos - Torradillos - Religeos - Villadangos - Santa Catalina - Molinaseca - Villafranc del Bierzo - Hospital de Condesa - Barbadelo - Ligonde - Arzua - Santiago.

If I were doing it again it would be different of course but I had no bookings and walked from maybe 07:00 until 13:00 - 14:00 each day as the mood took me. The planned early stop also gave me the opportunity to walk on if neccessary. For instance the albergue was closed on one of my "planned" stops and I had to walk on another 10 Km. That is OK early afternoon but would have been serious if I had arrive at 18:00.

I'm a 66 year old so a youngster could do it much quicker.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St J PP - Burguete - Trinidad de Arre - Cirauqui - Los Arcos - Navarette - Santo Domingo - Villa Franca M de O - Burgos - Castrojeriz - Villacazar - Moratinos - Mansilla - Leon - Villares de Orbigo :) - Foncebadon - Cacabelos - Ruitelan :) - Samos - Gonzar - Arzua - Santiago de C.

A 20 day Camino would require you to walk 38KMs per day. The record as far as I know is 8 days, achieved by an American woman some years ago, averaging 100KMs a day. She ran, finding the conditions and terrain relatively easy, an epic achievement.

I think that a 21 day Camino Francsise is very achievable without too much stress, provided the weather is good, you walk without interuption, are fit, strong, well organised and lucky.

If you love heat then you should have no problems, if not then you are likely to struggle as the heat tends to slow you down through dehydration, exhaustion and limit your walking time to early mornings and evenings and how many pilgrims will head out walking in the evening after a rest break in the middle of the dsy? Walking in the dark is likely to be slower than in day light and more prone to errors.

I walked my fastest Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Porte to Santiago in 13 days. My first Camino took 15 Days; which is my average for "At Pace" caminos. My first Camino was all over the place in terms of KMs walked per day, from 25KMs to 85KMs at the extremes, as I had no plan, it evolved.

Here is some information on my 13 Day Camino, which I planned as a 14 day Camino. I walked in November 2013, with perfectly cool weather conditions ie no rain and dry ground. I found the walking to be effortless, except on Day 4, when I struggled due to lack of sleep the night before so walked for just 8.5 hours over a 11 hour day covering just 44KMs. My first camino was epic in terms of sense of achievement and my 13 day was both epic and effortless.

By effortless I mean that I was having fun at all times, in the zone, easy going even when my body was tired. I did not over stretch myself except on the last day, when it did not matter so much, but still had endless fun walking through the night under a full moon, surrounded by the howling guard dogs of Galacia.

Day 1 SJPP to Pamplona - 67.00 KMs
Day 2 Pamplona to Los Arcos - 67.00
Day 3 Los Arcos to Najera- 57.60
Day 4 Najera to Belerado - 44.00
Day 5 Belo to Rabe de la Calzada 61.00
Day 6 Rabe to Carrion De Los Condes 53.00
Day 7 Carrion to Sahagun. 60.00
Day 8 Sagagun to Leon. 56.25
Day 9 Leon to Murias De Rachivido 55.00
Day 10 Murias to Cacabelos. 64.00
Day 11 Cacsbelos to Triastela. 60.00
Day 12 Triastela to Airexe. 61.50
Day 13 Airexe to Santiago. 76.00

Total KMs. 782.25KMs

The official distsnce is 789.10KMs (Brierley)
So I lost 7KMs somewhere !!!!

Average Hours walking per Day. 9.0 HRs
Average Hours (breaks and walking) 12 HRs
Shortest Day. 11.00 HRs (8HRs walking)
Longest Day. 17.25 HRs

Average Moving Speed 6.50 KPH
Net Average Speed. 5.00 KPH

I do not normally walk 6.5 KPH, usually 5.5 KPH, so I must have been much lighter in weight than normal and somewhat fitter.

Average Heart Rate. 105

Elivation Gain. 13,018 M
Elivation Loss. 13,122 M

Average KMs per day - 60.17 KMs
Brieley KMs per day. - 60.69 KMs

Good luck with your Camino, whatever time you take to complete it.

Last edited:
Thanks for details guys - very helpful!

Hope you don't mind me firing off some more questions – as it’s time for me to start making the necessary bookings.

Q1: getting there. I have pushed my trip forward a bit and plan on traveling from Norway on Friday the 12th of June. What is the sensible route for me to take if I want to avoid arriving at SJPdP late in the evening?

Q2: I’m planning some long days in the mountains when I get back home and was wondering how worn down your body is after 21 days of walking the entire stretch. Would you plan in some restitution in between or is the day on the flight back home enough?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok, late to the party - like always!

First of all - There is nothing like 'whole Camino' unless you start from your own door step, walk to Santiago and back again.
So, take the stress out. Start from wherever you want to and walk at a comfortable pace to YOU.

As for your questions:

1. We / I will need a bit more information to answer that one. Where are you flying to in France, Paris?
2. Deadly tired, so tired hat you not even feel like enjoying your arrival in Santiago!

Do yourself a huge favour, if you have only three weeks, start in Burgos for example, don't make this a race against an imaginary clock. Live it and don't race it! SY

Hi there,

I here you but I kind of made up my mind already:

Goal: SJPdP-SdC in 21 days.
Motivation: breaking out of my hamster wheel: Stop contemplating the same nonsense and just be. Just walk.
(A friend is also walking the same route, but we will make sure we don't meet until we Reach SdC.
Walking with good friends has it's benefits but before you know it you are back in that hamster wheel.)

1) I haven't ordered anything yet. So I can fly from here to London/Spain/France, but unfortunately not directly to Biarritz.
2) I suspect you are right. Might be a bit ambitious going trekking the day after I arrive home.

Hi,

want to walk the entire Comino Frances from st JPP in 20 days, and spending 2 days for travel and 2 days for rest). Anyone here that have done it? i know its not a race, but i can only take 3 weeks off from work. I guess that would mean averaging around 40km a day? Any views? tips?

I would recommend you start out easy and save the long days for the Meseta. My longest day was Fromista to San Nichols 52km's.

I would not walk it this fast but it is very doable in 21 days for a fit person.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there,

Motivation: breaking out of my hamster wheel: Stop contemplating the same nonsense and just be. Just walk.
(A friend is also walking the same route, but we will make sure we don't meet until we Reach SdC.
Walking with good friends has it's benefits but before you know it you are back in that hamster wheel.)

1) I haven't ordered anything yet. So I can fly from here to London/Spain/France, but unfortunately not directly to Biarritz.
2) I suspect you are right. Might be a bit ambitious going trekking the day after I arrive home.
Hi there,

- Fly to Stansted and then to Biarritz or San Sabastian. There is a bus to Bayonne from both places but aim for a late am or early pm bus from San Sabastian as the other times can be scarily expensive.

- If you are fit, healthy and found the walking side of the Camino easy then a big hike when you get home should be a piece of Cake/Tarta Santiago!!!

Hi Camino friends!

I am happy to announce that I made in through the entire Camino in 22 days. I thought I’d share some reflections on the physical part of that journey in case someone else is thinking about doing it in around 3 weeks

- Early: Waking up early and doing 15km-20km before breakfast worked very well for me. Start walking around 5:30-6:30am and you avoid the sun. You also catch the most beautiful part of the day: the misty mornings.

- Speed: Walk fast early (5,5km/h), and slow down (4km/h) later doing the day.

- After walking 30km, I would start having 10min breaks after every 5km.

- You lose time on breaks, so keep them short.

- It is better to put in a bit longer days, so that you can have a couple of clean rest days.

- Restitution: walking fast with few breaks allows you to get more hours restitution during the night. This is crucial. The two rest days I had really helped my muscle fibers grow and relaxed my ligaments that were aching.

- The down side of walking fast is that you don’t see a lot of people again. And during the afternoon you are alone with the scorching sun.

- Avoid humidity in the shoes. Use thin socks that breath well, and have to pairs that you use each day. Keep switching them at each break. Almost everyone that I met that had leather shoes complained and started switching to sandals. I used La Sportiva (Premier GTX). They were my most precsious item on the trip.

- NEVER TAKE PAINKILLERS DURING THE DAY! I met several strong young guys that would just start popping pills during the day to force themselves to get through their planed stage. A couple of them would have abort their Camino because of this. Listen to your body and slow down when the achilles hurt. Painkillers just drowns the signals, keeping up the speed and the distance will get you inflammation, and then it’s all over for you. 3 or 4 times during my trip I would take one paracet and one muscle relaxing before I went to bed.

- Keep the backpack as light as possible. Max 10% of your body weight. My weight is 80kg, so the 8kg backpack (not counting food or water) I was carrying was actually a bit on the heavy side. Those 10% might feel like nothing when you try your backpack on at home, but once you pass 35km several days in a row, you will feel it under your feet.

My Trip:

12.jun Arrive in St. Jean Pied-de-Port
#01: 13.jun St. Jean Pied-de-Port - Espinal (39km)
#02: 14.jun Espinal - Pamplona (39km)
#03: 15.jun Pamplona - Puente la Reina (26km)
#04: 16.jun Puente la Reina - Villamayor de Monjardin (33km)
#05: 17.jun Villamayor de Monjardin - Viana (33km)
#06: 18.jun Viana - Ventosa (29km)
#07: 19.jun Ventosa - Belorado (58km)
#08: 20.jun Belorado - Ages (30km)
#09: 21.jun Ages - Burgos (23km)
#10: 22.jun Rest day in Burgos
#11: 23.jun Burgos - Castrojeriz (43km)
#12: 24.jun Castrojeriz - Carrion (46km)
#13: 25.jun Carrion - Bercianos (51km)
#14: 26.jun Bercianos - Leon (45km)
#15: 27.jun Rest day in Leon [after doing Burgos - Leon in 4 days I was practiacally dead.]
#16: 28.jun Leon - Astorga (52km)
#17: 29.jun Astorga - Molinaseca (51km)
#18: 30.jun Molinaseca Vega de - Valcarce (51km)
#19: 01.jul Vega de Valcarce - San Mamed (51km)
#20: 02.jul San Mamed - Ventas de Naron (42km)
#21: 03.jul Ventas de Naron - Salceda (55km)
#22: 04.jul Salceda - Santiago (29km)
05.jul Rest day in Santiago
06.jul Depart Santiago

Wow and congratulations. I hope that your Camino met your expectations because, regardless of our pace, that is all we can ask for. As a member of the older group of peregrinos I can only admire your accomplishments. Thank you for sharing your advice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi, noway, congratulations on completing your camino and thanks for checking back in to tell us how it went. I hope you were able to break out of the "hamster wheel" as you described it. Just curious, did you wind up walking alone the whole time? Buen camino, Laurie

Congratulations Noway and thanks for updating us and sharing your advice.

That's a fantastic effort! Congratulations!

But I've gotta defend the reputation of the old farts lurking here.

The Camino Frances is a bit shorter than the distance from Sydney to Melbourne. In 1983, 61 year old Colac potato farmer Cliff Young did the 875k in 5 days 15 hours and 4 minutes. He had a back up team and wasn't carrying a pack.

He obviously hadn't heard of women - he only married for the first time a year or two later to a nubile young thing less than half his age!

Hope for us all yet!

Bogong (looking nervously over his shoulder)

Hi Camino friends!

I am happy to announce that I made in through the entire Camino in 22 days. I thought I’d share some reflections on the physical part of that journey in case someone else is thinking about doing it in around 3 weeks

- Early: Waking up early and doing 15km-20km before breakfast worked very well for me. Start walking around 5:30-6:30am and you avoid the sun. You also catch the most beautiful part of the day: the misty mornings.

- Speed: Walk fast early (5,5km/h), and slow down (4km/h) later doing the day.

- After walking 30km, I would start having 10min breaks after every 5km.

- You lose time on breaks, so keep them short.

- It is better to put in a bit longer days, so that you can have a couple of clean rest days.

- Restitution: walking fast with few breaks allows you to get more hours restitution during the night. This is crucial. The two rest days I had really helped my muscle fibers grow and relaxed my ligaments that were aching.

- The down side of walking fast is that you don’t see a lot of people again. And during the afternoon you are alone with the scorching sun.

- Avoid humidity in the shoes. Use thin socks that breath well, and have to pairs that you use each day. Keep switching them at each break. Almost everyone that I met that had leather shoes complained and started switching to sandals. I used La Sportiva (Premier GTX). They were my most precsious item on the trip.

- NEVER TAKE PAINKILLERS DURING THE DAY! I met several strong young guys that would just start popping pills during the day to force themselves to get through their planed stage. A couple of them would have abort their Camino because of this. Listen to your body and slow down when the achilles hurt. Painkillers just drowns the signals, keeping up the speed and the distance will get you inflammation, and then it’s all over for you. 3 or 4 times during my trip I would take one paracet and one muscle relaxing before I went to bed.

- Keep the backpack as light as possible. Max 10% of your body weight. My weight is 80kg, so the 8kg backpack (not counting food or water) I was carrying was actually a bit on the heavy side. Those 10% might feel like nothing when you try your backpack on at home, but once you pass 35km several days in a row, you will feel it under your feet.

My Trip:

12.jun Arrive in St. Jean Pied-de-Port
#01: 13.jun St. Jean Pied-de-Port - Espinal (39km)
#02: 14.jun Espinal - Pamplona (39km)
#03: 15.jun Pamplona - Puente la Reina (26km)
#04: 16.jun Puente la Reina - Villamayor de Monjardin (33km)
#05: 17.jun Villamayor de Monjardin - Viana (33km)
#06: 18.jun Viana - Ventosa (29km)
#07: 19.jun Ventosa - Belorado (58km)
#08: 20.jun Belorado - Ages (30km)
#09: 21.jun Ages - Burgos (23km)
#10: 22.jun Rest day in Burgos
#11: 23.jun Burgos - Castrojeriz (43km)
#12: 24.jun Castrojeriz - Carrion (46km)
#13: 25.jun Carrion - Bercianos (51km)
#14: 26.jun Bercianos - Leon (45km)
#15: 27.jun Rest day in Leon [after doing Burgos - Leon in 4 days I was practiacally dead.]
#16: 28.jun Leon - Astorga (52km)
#17: 29.jun Astorga - Molinaseca (51km)
#18: 30.jun Molinaseca Vega de - Valcarce (51km)
#19: 01.jul Vega de Valcarce - San Mamed (51km)
#20: 02.jul San Mamed - Ventas de Naron (42km)
#21: 03.jul Ventas de Naron - Salceda (55km)
#22: 04.jul Salceda - Santiago (29km)
05.jul Rest day in Santiago
06.jul Depart Santiago
Mighty impressive I am delighted you have accomplished this epics journey congratulations.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,

"Walking the entire Camino from SJPP" is a contradiction in terms. Your camino begins when you walk out the front door. With that logic if you only have 3 weeks, you'd be better off to begin in Leon. It's just a an exercise in endurance to walk from SJPP to Santiago. Or, you call in dead to work and take all the time you need.

"Walking the entire Camino from SJPP" is a contradiction in terms. Your camino begins when you walk out the front door. With that logic if you only have 3 weeks, you'd be better off to begin in Leon. It's just a an exercise in endurance to walk from SJPP to Santiago. Or, you call in dead to work and take all the time you need.
He has completed it in the allotted time!! ;)

O to be young again. I will stick with my 20 km a day. I figure to average 20 km a day will help me to find the Camino I am searching for. I have been walking my Camino for years, I just haven't made it to France and Spain yet. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back