• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances In a Short Time

Zachary O'Neill

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Stage of the Camino Frances (2018)
Hi all, I am interested in walking from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago along the Camino Frances, but only have a short amount of time about 13-14 days, I know I want to walk the first few days out of SJPP, and the last 100k from Sarria on, but didn't know about the possibility of public transport along part of the route, walking some days and missing out others. Has anyone got any experience of this, is it even possible to do, or is there a blog or guide giving details on the best way to accomplish this. I just want to do more than 100k and firstly want to start from the beginning where most people start and secondly I don't have the time to do the whole 800 in its full.

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum @Zachary O'Neill. You will get lots of different opinions on the best way to approach this. For myself, knowing that the first Camino is seldom the last Camino, I'd say start at SJPDP, walk for the time you have, and come back another time to do the next section, and so forth until you eventually reach SDC.

But if you are determined to walk the first few days out of SJPDP and then the last 100km from Sarria - then yes, it can be done. Walk as far as Pamplona and then take the train from Pamplona to Sarria (it goes via Monforte de Lemos). Here's the link that comes up on Rome2Rio

Generally speaking, public transport along the Camino is readily available. Sometimes you would need to make sure you are in a large enough town when it comes to busses, but even in small villages, as long as there is a bar or restaurant, a taxi can usually be called to take you to a destination of choice, or to get you to the nearest town where a bus can be caught.

It is common for people to skip entire sections of Camino Frances, so you are not in rare company to do so. There are easy to follow bus timetables as apps for a smartphone through which you can purchase tickets, which can be helpful in figuring out traveling logistics.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please reconsider such a decision. No disrespect but is this a "bucket list" sort of challenge? A "been there done that" option? You are voluntarily waiving/surrendering half the experience of the Camino. I am sure you must have your own considerations, my advice? Walk the time, two weeks you said, is about half the Camino, walk and then return - the Camino will still be there next year, next decade, next reincarnation. There is a certain feeling of overwhelming self-achievement of satisfaction in walking all the Camino into Santiago - something approaching a triumph of self-soul-body which cannot be matched any other way.

Might you consider the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago? Might fit nicely into your time frame.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You do not indicate any limitations to your walking abilities. If you can walk 30+ kilometers per day, each day, and you wish to "speed" through your Camino, then your options are many. If you are a 65 + guy, like me, and want to "smell the roses," with some time in Santiago de Compestella, etcetera, then the idea of hopping on a train in Pamplona, (via RENFE,) and then returning to the path in Sarria, (or somewhere a bit sooner,) is a fine idea for the time frame you have.. It is what I did, as it was quite easy to accomplish and I am glad for it. FYI: I begin in STJPDP. IMHO, it did not diminish the experience at all, and most 2016 April/early May days in Galicia were cold, gray and raining; it made for quite a trek! Made several friends, who walked the entire distance and was able to welcome them at the completion of their Caminos. Take a close look at the maps, consult this blog as you are, and "jump..." Buen Camino!

Hi all, I am interested in walking from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago along the Camino Frances, but only have a short amount of time about 13-14 days, I know I want to walk the first few days out of SJPP, and the last 100k from Sarria on, but didn't know about the possibility of public transport along part of the route, walking some days and missing out others. Has anyone got any experience of this, is it even possible to do, or is there a blog or guide giving details on the best way to accomplish this. I just want to do more than 100k and firstly want to start from the beginning where most people start and secondly I don't have the time to do the whole 800 in its full.

Thanks
I would say begin your Camino in SJPdP and walk for about 12 day’s and come back a other time and start where you finish this year .

But who am I , it’s your choice .

It's best to walk from wherever you start to Santiago, every step.

There's nothing special about SJPP, nor here nor there along the way, but there's certainly something special about the experience of walking all of the way from wherever you may start, within the limitations of time available or any other limitations.

There's nothing wrong of course with approaching a hike along this route more like a pick'n'choose tourist, I'm just trying to make you aware that to do so is not the Pilgrimage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi all, I am interested in walking from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago along the Camino Frances......... I just want to do more than 100k and firstly want to start from the beginning where most people start and secondly I don't have the time to do the whole 800 in its full.

Thanks
Most people don't start in St Jean. Most people by far start from Sarria. If you want to walk further in your time frame walk from Ponferrada.

I didn't really want to write anymore but feel I must. The Camino passes through a thousand years and more of history, art, architecture, and culture. There is so much to see and experiece, so much to confront and absorb, so much to enjoy and incorporate to your life and to weave into your spirituality. I cannot imagine why one would decide to pass on such an experience. To quote part of my favorite poem on the Camino, "
"Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you would not have set out." Cavafy "Ithaka" Santiago IS the aim, the journey is what you wish to remember.
As you set out for Ithaka
hope the voyage is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them:
you’ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
wild Poseidon—you won’t encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
May there be many a summer morning when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you come into harbors seen for the first time;
may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
to buy fine things,
mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
sensual perfume of every kind—
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
and may you visit many Egyptian cities
to gather stores of knowledge from their scholars.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you are destined for.
But do not hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you are old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you have gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you would not have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won’t have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you will have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.
Exchange Ithaka for Santiago and it all makes sense.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum @Zachary O'Neill

Unless you start from your own door there isn't really anything like a 'complete' camino ;-) Meaning, you can start where you want and what the time you have allows for. Starting in Ponferrada would fit perfectly in your time frame and would allow you a couple of days in Santiago itself.

If you really feel you have to to start in SJPdP then walking from SJPdP to Pamplona, public transport to Sarria https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Pamplona/Sarria and then walking again is an option.

Or you could just start to walk, see where you get to, travel back home and come back another time to complete your pilgrimage.

Buen Camino, SY

Thanks

Kanga has given you the solution however you will be a mixed up kid when you return home.
Where are you flying from ??

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back