• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in April 2017

Jaco Klynsmith

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk in April 2017
Hi, I am planning to walk in April 2017. From what I gather the journey from SJPDP takes 35 days to Santiago de Compostela. I need to book my flight for when I am done and hope that 35 days will be enough? I'm 32 years old and quite fit so I think I should be able to finish in time.

Will April be a very quiet month or will there be pilgrims to meet on the journey. I am travelling alone and am hoping to meet some interesting people along the way.

I am flying to Madrid from Windhoek, Namibia. What is the easiest way to get to SJPDP from Madrid. From what I see a flight from Madrid to Biarritz, France and then by Train to SJPDP seems to be the easiest? Any suggestions. I will only be spending one night in Madrid and then want to get to SJPDP as fast as I can to start the walk.

From what I gather April is mostly fine during the day with cold nights and some chances of rain. May seems to be the perfect month to walk, however am I right in saying that April is fine as well?

Cannot wait!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Jaco!
I am also planning on hitting the camino in April. What days were you planning to arrive? I will be heading to the camino around late April. If you are also going in late April we should meet up! So I can say there will be at least one other pilgrim in April. I am sure there will be more! It will be my first time so I can't tell you if it is a good time to walk but I had the same logic as far as why I'm headed there in April.

I walked in April and while on the Frances saw plenty of other pilgrims. Check the historical weather on the website of your choice (I used accuweather.com which goes back two years) and check repeatedly before heading out. My year it said sunny and 80's...until three days before, it said cold and raining. I arrived in SJPdP and it said snow in two days. I walked over the Pyrenees and was caught in an early, fast moving snow storm, that continued over me until Pamplona. Then it rained all day until I reached Irache and left for the Norte.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
photos to show why walking in April means be prepared...the snow overtook me on the mountain, I got ahead of it just as I arrived at RV, and it overtook RV that night

Attachments

• leaving SJPdP.JPG
    leaving SJPdP.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
  • how to miss the right turn.JPG
    how to miss the right turn.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
  • arrival RV.JPG
    arrival RV.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 126
  • leaving RV.JPG
    leaving RV.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 108
I walked beginning April 22, 2016. I was in one of those crowded bubbles, so there was no problem meeting others!

I took a bus from Madrid Barajas to Pamplona, and arranged in advance to spend my first night at the albergue Corazon Pura. They pick you up at the Pamplona bus or train station, take you to their albergue, feed you dinner and breakfast, and drive you to SJPP the next morning. A lovely place!

I walked the Napoleon route, which had been closed due to snow the week before and closed again a few days after I passed through. So weather can be variable.

But I would walk in April again. It was lovely.

Buen Camino,
Priscilla

I walk this year in March and April. The weather was snowing cold and wet. The ground was muddy in many places. I met many pilgrims and had a great time. I am used to hiking in winter weather here at home. The weather in April lightened up. We had a total 5 days of sunshine. I will di it that time of year again. Next year the Norte.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Jaco!
I am also planning on hitting the camino in April. What days were you planning to arrive? I will be heading to the camino around late April. If you are also going in late April we should meet up! So I can say there will be at least one other pilgrim in April. I am sure there will be more! It will be my first time so I can't tell you if it is a good time to walk but I had the same logic as far as why I'm headed there in April.

Planning to start on 3 April and end beginning of May. Will probably miss you then? :(

one other thing to keep in mind for your April planning is Holy Week. Easter in 2017 is April 16. There may be more walkers on the road during that week (though I suspect most will be from Sarria westward), and lodging might be tight if there is a reason for people to be visiting the area you will be walking through (i.e., nice vacation city, local festivals for Holy Week, etc). Moreover, be sure to check your planned albergue stops as some will list their opening date as Holy Week, which is after you will be walking already.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think that 35 days (SJPdP-SDC) for a fit 32 year old should be plenty of time.
I did it in 33 days and my fitter days are a distant memory, ha ha.
cheers

Thanks, think I should be fine. The snow is making me a bit nervous. I am from Africa so hiking through snow will be a new exeprience for me. We only have dunes and heat :)

one other thing to keep in mind for your April planning is Holy Week. Easter in 2017 is April 16. There may be more walkers on the road during that week (though I suspect most will be from Sarria westward), and lodging might be tight if there is a reason for people to be visiting the area you will be walking through (i.e., nice vacation city, local festivals for Holy Week, etc). Moreover, be sure to check your planned albergue stops as some will list their opening date as Holy Week, which is after you will be walking already.
Buen Camino

Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to meet some interesting people along the way so I don't mind the masses. Will try and plan my accommodation ahead during that week.

Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to meet some interesting people along the way so I don't mind the masses. Will try and plan my accommodation ahead during that week.
if you're in little places it hopefully wont be a problem requiring prebooking, but it might in a city that is already attracting crowds for the Holy Week celebrations...which if you like crowds, might be worthwhile to look at where you will be about then to try to be in one of those kinds of places

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, think I should be fine. The snow is making me a bit nervous. I am from Africa so hiking through snow will be a new exeprience for me. We only have dunes and heat :)
I never walked the Camino Frances in April, only during the months of June-September, but I just don't think you will run into snow on too steady a basis all up and down the Camino past the Pyrenees during that month. Not enough to be nervous about if you bring the right gear.
Here's a link to a good weather website. You can look up past years weather on it. The link is showing last April's weather for Pamplona. Some rain, but overall pretty nice. I just sent that one as an example. You can look up other cities on it.
cheers
https://www.wunderground.com/histor...qdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=325&reqdb.wmo=08085

Hi, I am planning to walk in April 2017. From what I gather the journey from SJPDP takes 35 days to Santiago de Compostela. I need to book my flight for when I am done and hope that 35 days will be enough? I'm 32 years old and quite fit so I think I should be able to finish in time.

Will April be a very quiet month or will there be pilgrims to meet on the journey. I am travelling alone and am hoping to meet some interesting people along the way.

I am flying to Madrid from Windhoek, Namibia. What is the easiest way to get to SJPDP from Madrid. From what I see a flight from Madrid to Biarritz, France and then by Train to SJPDP seems to be the easiest? Any suggestions. I will only be spending one night in Madrid and then want to get to SJPDP as fast as I can to start the walk.

From what I gather April is mostly fine during the day with cold nights and some chances of rain. May seems to be the perfect month to walk, however am I right in saying that April is fine as well?

Cannot wait!
Jayco
35 days should be fine, that is what it took me to get to Finnesterre I was 53. you will get cold nights into freezing & days warming up to 30C. Rain & snow. My first weeks ice in the beginning of the day. Every year is different so just be prepared for days on end of rain. Then when you get beautiful weather you can rejoice!

I flew to Biaritz & pre arraigned a shuttle that you share with other pilgrims. Drops you off at SJPDP I never booked anything just walked to the first alburgue I found. Started the next day.

I or someone will get you that info latter today.
Keith

E
Jayco
35 days should be fine, that is what it took me to get to Finnesterre I was 53. you will get cold nights into freezing & days warming up to 30C. Rain & snow. My first weeks ice in the beginning of the day. Every year is different so just be prepared for days on end of rain. Then when you get beautiful weather you can rejoice!

I flew to Biaritz & pre arraigned a shuttle that you share with other pilgrims. Drops you off at SJPDP I never booked anything just walked to the first alburgue I found. Started the next day.

Keith
It is www.expressbourricot.com for the shuttle arraignments

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
E

E

Cannot wait!
Hubby and I walked from April 3. We also stayed at Corazon Puro and they took us ti SJPP. I would recommend this. We are nearly 70 and completed in 33 days. We were in front of snow but had quite a bit of rsin and mud. Finr days as well. Perfect time to walk.

I walked my second Camino last April starting from SJPdP on the 14th. This was the first day that the Napoleon route was open and from what I hear it closed again shortly after. So you may need to walk the Valcarlos route. The weather was very cold and we had a lot of rain. We only encountered snow on the ground in the Pyrenees and on May 12th (a blizzard) at Cruz de Fero. The spring is very beautiful just be sure to pack some layers and some warm bedding. You can't pack for every circumstance so don't even try. I froze in the snow, but I couldn't feel my blister and it was one of my more memorable days.
Does your 35 days include the time that it takes to get to SJPdP and from Santiago back to Madrid? Also, I am guessing you are not planning to go to Finisterre. For me I preferred more in the 38 day (plus travel days) range; some of that due to my desire to stay with my Camino family.

I walked my second Camino last April starting from SJPdP on the 14th. This was the first day that the Napoleon route was open and from what I hear it closed again shortly after. So you may need to walk the Valcarlos route. The weather was very cold and we had a lot of rain. We only encountered snow on the ground in the Pyrenees and on May 12th (a blizzard) at Cruz de Fero. The spring is very beautiful just be sure to pack some layers and some warm bedding. You can't pack for every circumstance so don't even try. I froze in the snow, but I couldn't feel my blister and it was one of my more memorable days.
Does your 35 days include the time that it takes to get to SJPdP and from Santiago back to Madrid? Also, I am guessing you are not planning to go to Finisterre. For me I preferred more in the 38 day (plus travel days) range; some of that due to my desire to stay with my Camino family.

Thanks for the advice. The 35 days are set aside only for walking. I will try and work in Finisterre if there is enough time. Will see how it goes, don't want to plan too much as part of the experience for me should be not knowing. Thanks for the response.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the advice. The 35 days are set aside only for walking. I will try and work in Finisterre if there is enough time. Will see how it goes, don't want to plan too much as part of the experience for me should be not knowing. Thanks for the response.
Buen Camino. My Caminos were very different but both wonderful and I can't wait to see what the 3rd one holds for me.

Hey! I walked the Camino from SJPP to Santiago in 30 days in 2015, started Sept 24 and finished Oct 24. It was an amazing experience, so I'm going back in April! I plan to start on April 11 in SJPP and this time go to Finisterre. I have nothing but wonderful memories and look forward to experiencing the Camino in another season. Perhaps we will meet along the way. You will fall in love with the Camino! It is a magical place. Buen Camino!

Hi Jaco.

Also planning to walk in April, but due to limited time I'm starting from Burgos around the 15th April. Reading the responses on snow also makes me a little apprehensive :) I'm from South Africa and we never get snow down in Cape Town (wind and rain... lots of it!!).

I'm hoping taking clothing to layer and a good sleeping bag will suffice?

Would be interested to know if anyone suggest hiking poles considering the mud and wet conditions.

Maybe we bump into each other onroute.
Happy Planning

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jaco.

Also planning to walk in April, but due to limited time I'm starting from Burgos around the 15th April. Reading the responses on snow also makes me a little apprehensive :) I'm from South Africa and we never get snow down in Cape Town (wind and rain... lots of it!!).

Would be interested to know if anyone suggest hiking poles considering the mud and wet conditions.

Happy Planning

Hopefully by the time I get to Burgos you'll start walking and we'll meet along the way. Can't wait!

Hi Jaco.

Happy Planning
There may be less snow than you think.
This is last April's weather for Burgos. Cold, and rainy some days, but no snow.
https://www.wunderground.com/histor...qdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=795&reqdb.wmo=08075

Hi Jaco.

Happy Planning
I think snow is only a problem at higher altitudes, for instance it snowed on the Napoleon pass and Roncesvalles onward for a while when I walked in April, but rain only by the time I reached Pamplona and on to Irache. Check the past weather for Burgos, Leon, the Cruz de Ferro...but I think by the time you are there it may be getting pretty late for snow...

edit: and the week before I walked it was in the 80's on that route. Weather is variable, and anyone on the forum's experience of weather in April is highly variable. If you look at the temperature range and weather conditions for the past several years for your time period and route, and then check daily for the weeks approaching your walk, you will have the best chance of packing correctly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Jayco

Keith
I try pre arrainge this shutte but they are closer till the end of januari.

Cannot wait!

Hello Jaco!

I used rome2rio to pricecheck my options for traveling and found it useful: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Madrid/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

I'll be starting my first camino on April 2 from SJPP - we'll likely cross paths!

Buen Camino -

Hi Jaco

Seems like you and I have the exact same plan. I'm from Stellenbosch and also planning to start my first Camino on the 3rd of April from SJPDP. Hopefully reaching Finnestere before flying back on the 6th of May. So will see you on route. Still trying to figure out what I will need in terms of rain gear - I normally choose a glass of red wine and a fire on rainy days...

Buen Camino!

Hi Jaco

Seems like you and I have the exact same plan. I'm from Stellenbosch and also planning to start my first Camino on the 3rd of April from SJPDP. Hopefully reaching Finnestere before flying back on the 6th of May. So will see you on route. Still trying to figure out what I will need in terms of rain gear - I normally choose a glass of red wine and a fire on rainy days...

Buen Camino!

Awesome! Will see you along the way the :)

Hi Jaco

Buen Camino!
Me too;)
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jaco.

Happy Planning
Hello_ I am leaving SJPP on April 12 we might see one another along the way. Buen Camino

Hi Jaco

Buen Camino!

Hielienie, hoping to meet up with you and Jaco on route for lots of red wine! :)

I'm doing some research into rain gear but would love to get more reviews on items.

Happy Planning

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I plan to leave SJPP on April 15th, hope to see some of you along the way.

Hi Jaco

Buen Camino!

Ah Stellenbosch, I have a hazy memory of much of anything after lunch the first day. Nice spot.

I walked in April last year, and had many of the same questions. Yeah, we had a number of rain days, and there were some cold days as well. As for joining an arctic expedition across the tundra, that's not what is going on. Up high, you will see snow in the ditches, and its possible you will encounter snowing conditions as well, although I did not. That applies when you are at high altitudes, which is usually for a few hours at a time. If the weather gets really nasty, your strategy is the correct one: hole up for a day or two with some vino tinto, and wait for conditions to improve.

You DO need to get comfortable with a rain solution though, no choice. It WILL rain on you. Where I live, it rains all winter, and I auditioned several choices, ending up with gortex shoes and a poncho. This worked very well for me, although others preferred a rain jacket and pants. Make sure you pick something and train in it until you are comfortable wearing it. Deliberately walk in the rain, its the only way to find out what works. If you are lucky with the weather, you might only need it two or three times. If you are unlucky, you might have it on nearly every day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone!
So it looks like we already have 5 or 6 people walking the camino on april on this thread.
I will start on SJPDP on April 14th. Hope to see you all there.
Buen Camino

PS: what about creating a group of who will walk on april so we can exchange information?

Hubby and I walked from April 3. We also stayed at Corazon Puro and they took us ti SJPP. I would recommend this. We are nearly 70 and completed in 33 days. We were in front of snow but had quite a bit of rsin and mud. Finr days as well. Perfect time to walk.
Thanks for this note! That's almost the exact day I plan to begin walking in 2017! I'm 58 and figuring it'll take me at LEAST 45 days - - - - you did it in 33???? I am very impressed and inspired!!!! I'm from Wisconsin so snow is no big deal but I don't plan on packing snowshoes!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it agood idea to make a reservation on the first night in SJPdP?

For your peace of mind while traveling to SJPdP perhaps it is a good idea. However if you 'wing it' without a reservation when you arrive go to the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with a Credential, current trail/weather conditions and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. Open every day of the year generally from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation. The office is also a great place to meet/greet fellow pilgrims.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

€46,-
Hi Jaco.

Happy Planning

Hello , my name is Gerhard Visser and I'm from Pretoria and I am also anticipating doing the Camino Frances in April 2017. I plan to fly out from JHB on the 10th or 11th of April 2017 to France, Paris and then take the train to Biarritz, taxi to Bayonne and then al train to St Jean. I'm just telling you that I will be around and if we could maybe sync our dates we could maybe walk a few days together dep pending on your speed .I hear from you

Hi there, my name's Imai (you can also call me Tom), coming from Western Canada and I'll be going from Leon to Compostela from April 2-16. I'm hoping to arrive in Compostela in time for the Easter Triduum. Quite used to cold (my city was under an extreme cold aka -30C/-40C advisory only 1-2 days ago), but we'll see how I do with the rain! Any tips anyone might have will be greatly appreciated!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there, my name's Imai (you can also call me Tom), coming from Western Canada and I'll be going from Leon to Compostela from April 2-16. I'm hoping to arrive in Compostela in time for the Easter Triduum. Quite used to cold (my city was under an extreme cold aka -30C/-40C advisory only 1-2 days ago), but we'll see how I do with the rain! Any tips anyone might have will be greatly appreciated!
LOL! Are you in Alberta? Because I am in Calgary and yeah, it's COLD. I am starting my Camino April 23. Want to avoid the Easter rush and walk into nicer weather ;-)

LOL! Are you in Alberta? Because I am in Calgary and yeah, it's COLD. I am starting my Camino April 23. Want to avoid the Easter rush and walk into nicer weather ;-)
Hi Elizabeth, I'm from Edmonton actually (born and raised and actually returned!). It's still quite cold up here and my furnace is working double time but at least the wind chill advisory is over lol. I think I'll take a bit of Spanish rain and damp instead.

I am walking my first Camino on April 1st, so may run into some of you. I will spend the night in SJPDP on March 31st and leave the next morning. I need to research the Napoleon route vs Valcaros in case of snow. I plan on staying the first night in Orisson so I meet some fellow walkers as I am starting my walk alone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the forum @Kim Brady. Check with the Pilgrim office in the morning before you leave SJPDP - and if the weather is bad and the road to Orisson closed, then you proceed directly to Valcarlos (and, as I understand it, you will get a refund from Orisson). If the road is open and you make it to Orisson but the Route Napoleon is not safe the next day, they will ferry you across to Valcarlos.

Either way you will meet fellow walkers, particularly if you stay in an albergue (gite) in SJPDP. Booking is essential for Orisson as it has limited places and is in high demand. There is not usually a need to book at Valcarlos, although you can make a telephone call from SJPDP if everyone is going that way and it looks like it will be busy.

Both routes have their charms, and difficulties. When you leave SJPDP make sure you are on the right road, as they are quite separate.

Hi Jaco
I also plan from Cape Town to Madrid in April 2017, before the 14. Also want information about albergues in Madrid and what it best transport to Pamplona. Taking 6 weeks leave for the Camino walk

Hi Jaco
I also plan from Cape Town to Madrid in April 2017, before the 14. Also want information about albergues in Madrid and what it best transport to Pamplona. Taking 6 weeks leave for the Camino walk

Hi, are you walking From SJPdP? I am flying from Madrid to biarritz. Seems to be the quickest way to catch a train to SJPdP.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked beginning April 22, 2016. I was in one of those crowded bubbles, so there was no problem meeting others!

I took a bus from Madrid Barajas to Pamplona, and arranged in advance to spend my first night at the albergue Corazon Pura. They pick you up at the Pamplona bus or train station, take you to their albergue, feed you dinner and breakfast, and drive you to SJPP the next morning. A lovely place!

I walked the Napoleon route, which had been closed due to snow the week before and closed again a few days after I passed through. So weather can be variable.

But I would walk in April again. It was lovely.

Buen Camino,
Priscilla
Hi Priscilla,
I am going to be walking this May/June and was hoping you might answer a question for me. I will be flying out of Atlanta on an overnight flight and arriving in Madrid in the morning. How quickly were you able to get to Pamplona? I was hoping to just catch a bus directly from the airport to Pamplona upon arrival. Did you have a reservation? Or were you able to just hop on a bus? I want to be spontaneous since it is a pilgrimage but also want to be wise as well ;). I also am considering staying at the alburgue Corazon Pura if they can accomodate me. I have heard so many wonderful things about it. Did you spend the night in SJPP or did you just get to walking....I am trying to book my flight and want to take extra travel time into consideration. Thanks for any advice you may have for me! Or anyone else for that matter ;)

Hello , my name is Gerhard Visser and I'm from Pretoria and I am also anticipating doing the Camino Frances in April 2017. I plan to fly out from JHB on the 10th or 11th of April 2017 to France, Paris and then take the train to Biarritz, taxi to Bayonne and then al train to St Jean. I'm just telling you that I will be around and if we could maybe sync our dates we could maybe walk a few days together dep pending on your speed .I hear from you

Gerhard58:

Have you considered flying from Paris to Biarritz? Very inexpensive. I arrive in Paris on April 12th.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll be also walking the Camino in April. Actually I'll start from SJPdP on 31st March and hoping to finish in Santiago end of April :)

Hi Elizabeth! Myself and two friends will be leaving the Florida Keys on the 24th of April to fly into Madrid. We'll take the train to Pamplona and then a private car from Pamplona to SJPDP. Walked in 2014 the first time and loved it so much I'm going again! Maybe will see you there! Buen Camino!

I plan to fly out from JHB on the 10th or 11th of April 2017 to France, Paris and then take the train to Biarritz, taxi to Bayonne and then al train to St Jean.
A little late, but.....
The train from Paris goes to Bayonne, where you can catch the train to SJPdP (no need for a taxi). The Airport is in Biarritz, so if you fly, you will need to get back to Bayonne by either taxi or train.
There is also Express Burricott (http://www.expressbourricot.com/) who can organise pickup in Bairritz or Bayonne direct to SJPdP (a sort of taxi pooling arrangement - price depends on no. of people being picked up).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jaco

Buen Camino!

My plans are to begin in SJPP on April 3, also. Hopefully we will cross paths. Are you planning to use the Napoleon? Will you plan to stop in Orrison or go to Roncevalles on your first day? Buen Camino!

Hi - I too plan to walk the Camino in April, starting in SJPP on 1 April.

I also plan on using the Spanish postal service to transport luggage. Has anyone had experience of this? I understand it is quite reliable. Does the Spanish Post offer this service all year round, ie in April!

Hi,

I am also planning to start my first Camino from SJPP on April 3rd. Hope to meet you all on the way! :)

Oh I may be a day or 2 too early for you all :( But hope to meet some of you too! :)

JKF,

Glad to see that you have found the Forum! Looking forward to continuing our new digital acquaintance.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Hi Meredith

Yep, it's a great forum, thanks.
Have learnt a lot.
Have also been in contact with Correos who got back to me straight away.
Almost ready to book my flight to Biarritz ... Arrghhhh!

Best
Janine

Cannot wait!
Hi Jaco, I am flying from LA to Paris on March 29 to start El Camino on April 3,2017 also from SJPDP. I saw your date and we match! Also going alone hoping to meet great people along the way. I also have the plan to walk in the average time of 33-35 days but will be flying out of Lisbon back to LA. If you haven't bought your airline ticket they have great deals right now. From Paris you can take a train to Bayonne and from here a train to SJPDP. Santiago is well connected to many cities to fly out of. I got a great deal for round trip $450 LA-Paris and Lisbon-LA. If our plans match, we can start out together.

Hi Jaco, I am flying from LA to Paris on March 29 to start El Camino on April 3,2017 also from SJPDP. I saw your date and we match! Also going alone hoping to meet great people along the way. I also have the plan to walk in the average time of 33-35 days but will be flying out of Lisbon back to LA. If you haven't bought your airline ticket they have great deals right now. From Paris you can take a train to Bayonne and from here a train to SJPDP. Santiago is well connected to many cities to fly out of. I got a great deal for round trip $450 LA-Paris and Lisbon-LA. If our plans match, we can start out together.

Hi, I'm flying to Biarritz from Madrid then planning on taking the train from Bayonne. Hoping to be on time to still go by the registration office so that I can start early on the 3rd. Will definitely look oit for you!

My plans are to begin in SJPP on April 3, also. Hopefully we will cross paths. Are you planning to use the Napoleon? Will you plan to stop in Orrison or go to Roncevalles on your first day? Buen Camino!
I'm hoping to cross to Roncevalles same day. If possible

Hi Ana,

What airlines or what website did you use to buy your tickets? Your tickets are very inexpensive. I also fly out of LAX. I was going to fly to Madrid. But after seeing your tickets, I'd like to look into LAX-Paris and Lisbon - LAX. Thanks.

Buen camino!

I'll be also walking the Camino in April. Actually I'll start from SJPdP on 31st March and hoping to finish in Santiago end of April :)
Joseph
You will feel at home on the Camino the terrain, people in the farm areas wil remind you of home.
Buen Camino
Keith

Cannot wait!
Great, as we get closer to April we can coordinate better our plans. There are 4 trains on April 3 from Bayonne to SJPDP first one at 7:45AM last one at 18:06 according to internet. Also I think you can get your pilgrims passport (credencial) online ahead of time. I am just starting to plan things out so not too knowledgeable about details. Look forward to meeting you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Joseph
You will feel at home on the Camino the terrain, people in the farm areas wil remind you of home.
Buen Camino
Keith

Thanks Keith. Very much looking forward to start my Camino :)

However may I point out that my 'MT' refers to my country Malta - that little island in the Mediterranean - and not Montana :)

Thanks Keith. Very much looking forward to start my Camino :)

However may I point out that my 'MT' refers to my country Malta - that little island in the Mediterranean - and not Montana :)
Lol
Oh, that is quite a coincidence we have a very small farming town withe name of Malta Montana. Just a good reminder that this forum hosts the world. My geography education expands every time I log on.:p
Keith

Ana Maria . . . .I plan to start in SJPP on April 3, too. I plan to arrive in SJPP from Pamplona mid-morning, so do not know if I will go to Roncevalles or Orrison for the first night -- but hopefully we will meet along the way! Enjoy your planning.

Hi,

I am also planning to start my first Camino from SJPP on April 3rd. Hope to meet you all on the way! :)

Me, too! I am getting in to SJPP from Pamplona the morning of April 3 and should start mid-morning. Not sure if I will stay in Roncevalles or Orrison . . .but perhaps we will cross along the way.

I'm hoping to cross to Roncevalles same day. If possible
Ana Maria . . . .I plan to start in SJPP on April 3, too. I plan to arrive in SJPP from Pamplona mid-morning, so do not know if I will go to Roncevalles or Orrison for the first night -- but hopefully we will meet along the way! Enjoy your planning.
Great! Looks like a few of us have same plans and dates, so I would definitely like to meet up with all of you, especially the first few day, make sure I don't get lost!

Same here, want to make it to Roncevalles on first day. Have a little experience hiking Inca Trail and Himalayas , but a long time ago. I actually have flexibility as I will arrive earlier in Paris around March 30th, so I could start earlier, if weather is good.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Ana,

What airlines or what website did you use to buy your tickets? Your tickets are very inexpensive. I also fly out of LAX. I was going to fly to Madrid. But after seeing your tickets, I'd like to look into LAX-Paris and Lisbon - LAX. Thanks.

Buen camino!
Sorry for late reply, I was out of town. The website is Skyscanner, it searches for fares through other websites. The one that gave me this fare was Explore Trip. The flights are 3/29 from LAX to Dallas on British Airways 4410 (operated by American Airlines) connecting to Paris on British Airways also, short layover. The return is Lisbon to London on BA also and London to LAX again BA operated by AA. Total including taxes $451 RT. I plan to stay in Paris and in Porto and Lisbon so was looking for this kind of ticket.

Gerhard58:

Have you considered flying from Paris to Biarritz? Very inexpensive. I arrive in Paris on April 12th.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hola Joe,

I am flying into CDG Sunday, March 30, landing around 10 am. I was going to take the train to Bayonne. However, after seeing your post, I'm considering flying to Biarritz. What is the cost and how easy is it to buy the ticket after I have landed?

Ultreya!

Hieu

Sorry for late reply, I was out of town. The website is Skyscanner, it searches for fares through other websites. The one that gave me this fare was Explore Trip. The flights are 3/29 from LAX to Dallas on British Airways 4410 (operated by American Airlines) connecting to Paris on British Airways also, short layover. The return is Lisbon to London on BA also and London to LAX again BA operated by AA. Total including taxes $451 RT. I plan to stay in Paris and in Porto and Lisbon so was looking for this kind of ticket.
Be very careful when using sites like Skyscanner. Don't book tickets through an agency that you have never heard of without checking them out first. Many of them quote prices that are no longer available, as they don't have "live" pricing from the airlines. Some will take your money for a "booking request" then come back and tell you that the price is no longer available, and you need to either pay more or wait for them to refund you.
Here are a couple of threads on TripAdvisor about ExploreTrip
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...reful_be_careful_warning_to_a-Air_Travel.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...Exploretrip_com_strikes_again-Air_Travel.html

Hola Joe,

I am flying into CDG Sunday, March 30, landing around 10 am. I was going to take the train to Bayonne. However, after seeing your post, I'm considering flying to Biarritz. What is the cost and how easy is it to buy the ticket after I have landed?

Ultreya!

Hieu

Hieu:

I buy all my tickets on Kayak. EasyJet has several non stop flights daily from CDG. I would go on the site Kayak.com and do a search. I bought my ticket for $54. Be sure you have enough time between flights to connect. I know the first flight is 7:00 am the last 7:30 pm.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask or PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Kayak is a search engine. When you buy tickets "through" Kayak they actually send you to a another 3rd party ticket seller, adding a layer between you and the airline. Unless of course you click on the link on Kayak to the airline's website.

€46,-
Sites like Expedia tend be better for US related stuff. The more European based sites are going to get you better options for Europe.

Skyscanner is pretty good, it started in the UK (Edinburgh) and Momondo is good too, they started in Denmark (Copenhagen).

Use Skyscanner or Momondo ...but saying that, I booked my outbound/return flights with Easyjet, direct on their website (they have a 20% sale ending Midnight tonight). While I was looking, I found Vueling had some very good deals, but many flights routed through/changed at Barcelona. Vueling are the Spanish equivalent of Easyjet and were started/are owned by British Airways/Iberia (IAG).

People in other threads have pointed out that it's easy to get to Vigo, A Coruna and Porto from Santiago so explore options for those airports too, I'm flying back from Porto and saved almost a couple of hundred quid by doing so.

Masochists tend to fly with Ryanair, they are my last resort these days with Easyjet being on a par with most normal national carrriers in terms of the quality of the service and experience.

BC! :)

Last edited:
I'm a Kayak fan. Unless there is a huge difference in price quoted for a fare between providers I usually click through to the airline's own website to make the booking. I assume that Kayak gets a small percentage for the referral, the airline fills a seat, I get a pretty good price for the service I'm after - a win, win, win situation. It might be possible to shave a few euro off the final price by more complicated juggling but I'm usually very happy with the result. Their accommodation search results are usually quite competitive too,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kayak is a search engine. When you buy tickets "through" Kayak they actually send you to a another 3rd party ticket seller, adding a layer between you and the airline. Unless of course you click on the link on Kayak to the airline's website.

Trecile:

Kayak is a search engine that allows you to look for a ticket to buy now or set alerts for daily pricing on the trip you plan to take. Most of the time they send you to that specific airline. Sometimes to a third party site like Vayama. I have never found the ticket for less on the providers site. I check. They have always been good for me. (ie: My ticket to Paris this year was purchased on a Kayak alert through Lufthansa. The flight is provided by United $437. RT non stop. I checked the United website that day and the exact same flight on the United site was $676.

I am sure there are probably equally good search engines.

Ultreya,
Joe

Trecile:

Kayak is a search engine that allows you to look for a ticket to buy now or set alerts for daily pricing on the trip you plan to take. Most of the time they send you to that specific airline. Sometimes to a third party site like Vayama. I have never found the ticket for less on the providers site. I check. They have always been good for me. (ie: My ticket to Paris this year was purchased on a Kayak alert through Lufthansa. The flight is provided by United $437. RT non stop. I checked the United website that day and the exact same flight on the United site was $676.

I am sure there are probably equally good search engines.

Ultreya,
Joe
I just want people to be aware that companies like Vayama, Opodo, CheapOAir, etc., pay Kayak and other search engines to be included in the search. There are many, many complaints about 3rd party agents. Just like any other time you are going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars you should do your homework on the company you are paying before clicking the "buy" button.

Trecile
Obviously you have done some traveling, & I appreciate that you are making some good points, yet the best fares & my most reliable flights have been by purchasing thru cheapo air vs direct using United. In my geographical area United cancels flights on a wim I believe more because of the small population. By using the Kayak or Cheapo They tend to find airlines that actually fly into & out of small airports. They also seem to have better search engines, for multiple airlines/airports & countries. For example I live close to the Canadian U.S. Border. It is usually 40 to 50% cheaper to fly out of Canada.

I just want people to be aware that companies like Vayama, Opodo, CheapOAir, etc., pay Kayak and other search engines to be included in the search. There are many, many complaints about 3rd party agents. Just like any other time you are going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars you should do your homework on the company you are paying before clicking the "buy" button.

Trecile:

I understand your point of view and I am sure your point is valid. It is also a good warning for folks to be diligent in this process. My experience on Kayak.com has never ended in that type of result. Using a search engine gives you a broader response, imo, than going directly to a specific airline website. My comment was not meant be critical but just to provide my experience. Others may have a different experience utilizing these search engines.

Joe

Last edited:
I'll continue to book directly through the airline. If there is any problem, I don't want a middleman between us.
And if you are flying with a low cost carrier like Ryanair you won't get a lower price than on their own website.
Unfortunately, eDreams has purchased Opodo, so they may not be as reliable as in the past.http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gar...which-travel-investigates-opodo-and-edreams-/

Thanks, I checked out that which.co.uk link and have deleted my reference to Opodo in case I send other people their way, what as shame about Opodo, they did used to be OK.

However, I do hear a lot of good things about Momondo...and Skyscanner is still a first port of call for most people I know if you want to get an idea of prices and general times to fly etc because of the way the site works. This is from a UK/European point of view though.

Just out of interest I just did a search on Momondo for the flight I booked direct with Easyjet in their 20% sale, not only has it found it/offered it but also matches the Easyjet price I paid.

Thanks, I checked out that which.co.uk link and have deleted my reference to Opodo in case I send other people their way, what as shame about Opodo, they did used to be OK.

However, I do hear a lot of good things about Momondo...and Skyscanner is still a first port of call for most people I know if you want to get an idea of prices and general times to fly etc because of the way the site works. This is from a UK/European point of view though.

Just out of interest I just did a search on Momondo for the flight I booked direct with Easyjet in their 20% sale, not only has it found it/offered it but also matches the Easyjet price I paid.
I also use flight comparison sites, like Kayak, but then I book directly with the airline.

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to start on April 3rd as well from SJPDP - hopefully will meet some of you on the way! Buen Camino!

Check with the Pilgrim office in the morning before you leave SJPDP - and if the weather is bad and the road to Orisson closed, then you proceed directly to Valcarlos (and, as I understand it, you will get a refund from Orisson). If the road is open and you make it to Orisson but the Route Napoleon is not safe the next day, they will ferry you across to Valcarlos.

Thank you for this information. I plan to make a reservation for Orisson ASAP (for April 25) and have been wondering what would happen if the road is closed. I didn't find this information on their website so I appreciate that you shared it.

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to start on April 3rd as well from SJPDP - hopefully will meet some of you on the way! Buen Camino!

Duane, I will be starting that morning, too (plan to be in Pamplona on Sunday night and then connect over on Monday morning). We have set up a separate "conversation" on the forum for those starting from SJPP the first half of that week of April. I will "invite" you into that group, if you have an interest.

€83,-
I am walking my first Camino on April 1st, so may run into some of you. I will spend the night in SJPDP on March 31st and leave the next morning. I need to research the Napoleon route vs Valcaros in case of snow. I plan on staying the first night in Orisson so I meet some fellow walkers as I am starting my walk alone.
Hi Kim, I am starting in SJPDP on April 1st also (recognize me by the LA Dodgers cap) although I plan to go through to Rosenvalles the first day (pray for sun). Hope we all have great Caminos.

Hi - I too plan to walk the Camino in April, starting in SJPP on 1 April.

I also plan on using the Spanish postal service to transport luggage. Has anyone had experience of this? I understand it is quite reliable. Does the Spanish Post offer this service all year round, ie in April!
Hi JKF, I am also starting on April 1st in SJPDP!. Like I mentioned to Kim, be on the lookout for my LA Dodgers hat! Hope to see you all there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kim/Bobby/JKF, I'm also planning to start from SJPdP on 1st April, although I should end my first day in Roncevalles. Hoping also to see you :) :)

Hi Joseph. Hope to run into you in SJPDP, though I plan on trying to stay in Orisson the first night. Safe travels.

Hi Kim, I am starting in SJPDP on April 1st also (recognize me by the LA Dodgers cap) although I plan to go through to Rosenvalles the first day (pray for sun). Hope we all have great Caminos.

Bobby --- We have set up a small "conversation" group of people who are beginning in SJPP on the first five days of April. I will add you --- if you want to join the conversation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back