• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in April 2017

Good morning! My 20 year old son and I are arriving in SJPP via train late on April 4th and plan on heading out Thursday, April 6th. Could you please add me to the thread also? Thanks so much!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We have set up a small "conversation" group of people who are beginning in SJPP on the first five days of April. I will add you --- if you want to join the conversation.

Will you please also add me to the conversation? I will be staying in SJPP on April 2 and leaving the following day. Would love to meet you lovely folks!

Hi there!
I'll be leaving SJPdP on april 14th, I know it is later than you but I was thinking... will any of you post any news on the first days you start your walk?! Because if you will, I'd like to know what are the conditions on the the CF on Napoleon Route...
I'd like to wald the Napoleon route but am a little concerned about the possibility of snow.
Can I join your group to follow your chat?

Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am walking my first Camino on April 1st, so may run into some of you. I will spend the night in SJPDP on March 31st and leave the next morning. I need to research the Napoleon route vs Valcaros in case of snow. I plan on staying the first night in Orisson so I meet some fellow walkers as I am starting my walk alone.
Hi Kim
A few of us are starting 1 April and staying in SJPDP on 31 March.
I plan on staying in Orisson on the first night also - weather depending!
See you soon, no doubt!
Janine

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi JKF, I am also starting on April 1st in SJPDP!. Like I mentioned to Kim, be on the lookout for my LA Dodgers hat! Hope to see you all there.
See you in SJPDP with that Dodgers hat!

Hi Kim
A few of us are starting 1 April and staying in SJPDP on 31 March.
I plan on staying in Orisson on the first night also - weather depending!
See you soon, no doubt!
Janine

PS - have you been in touch with Orisson? They have told me they don't know whether they will be open on 1 April, it depends on the weather. They suggested I call them the day before and they will judge from then whether they will open.

If possible, can you add me also to your list? Leaving April 12th.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Because Orisson was not sure if they would be open yet, I decided to walk the Valcarlos way and booked April 1st at the albergue there.

Because Orisson was not sure if they would be open yet, I decided to walk the Valcarlos way and booked April 1st at the albergue there.
yes, I am sure I will end up at Valcarlos also.
which albergue did you book?
I was going to use the municipal albergue but was not aware they took bookings.

The Valcarlos Luzaide Municipal albergue, you can email them at luzaide-valcarlos@wanadoo.es.

Just send them your name and the date you want and they will send a response. Another person on this site did the same and shared that info with me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Valcarlos Luzaide Municipal albergue, you can email them at luzaide-valcarlos@wanadoo.es.

Just send them your name and the date you want and they will send a response. Another person on this site did the same and shared that info with me.
I just googled it and sent them an email! Hopefully hear from them soon. Thanks!

If you don't get a response in a few days, email again. My second email was the one they responded to.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Elizabeth! Myself and two friends will be leaving the Florida Keys on the 24th of April to fly into Madrid. We'll take the train to Pamplona and then a private car from Pamplona to SJPDP. Walked in 2014 the first time and loved it so much I'm going again! Maybe will see you there! Buen Camino!
Captain Linda, where do you plan to stay in SJPP on the night of April 25? I am planning on staying at the Beilari. Sounds like your group and I may be starting about the same time.
Buen Camino, CT

Hi there!
I'll be leaving SJPdP on april 14th, I know it is later than you but I was thinking... will any of you post any news on the first days you start your walk?! Because if you will, I'd like to know what are the conditions on the the CF on Napoleon Route...
I'd like to wald the Napoleon route but am a little concerned about the possibility of snow.
Can I join your group to follow your chat?

Thank you.
Done. You should be in the "conversation".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi, I start my first camino on April 2, 2017 after arriving into Biarritz airport at 4:50 pm on the first April. Hopefully I manage to get transport to SJPdP that evening. Then, the following morning, I set off for Orisson.
I'm scared stiff and really excited. With luck, I might cross paths with some of you.
Buen camino!

Duane, I will be starting that morning, too (plan to be in Pamplona on Sunday night and then connect over on Monday morning). We have set up a separate "conversation" on the forum for those starting from SJPP the first half of that week of April. I will "invite" you into that group, if you have an interest.
Hi, I am starting on the 2nd April. Please, could I join your conversation of others starting the camino at the same time. Thank you, Karyn

Hi, I am starting on the 2nd April. Please, could I join your conversation of others starting the camino at the same time. Thank you, Karyn

Of course! I will you signed in.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey! I walked the Camino from SJPP to Santiago in 30 days in 2015, started Sept 24 and finished Oct 24. It was an amazing experience, so I'm going back in April! I plan to start on April 11 in SJPP and this time go to Finisterre. I have nothing but wonderful memories and look forward to experiencing the Camino in another season. Perhaps we will meet along the way. You will fall in love with the Camino! It is a magical place. Buen Camino!
I am from SC and am starting around that time. I fly into Madrid on the 6th. I hope to run into you. I will most likely be wearing a Clemson cap! Buen Camino!

I am from SC and am starting around that time. I fly into Madrid on the 6th. I hope to run into you. I will most likely be wearing a Clemson cap! Buen Camino!

Clemson? . . . .I will probably walk right by you, then (I am from Raleigh area and we do not recognize anyone "south of the border").

I'll be staying at Beilari. It was the perfect start to my last Camino, so I can't imagine staying anywhere else. They will start taking reservations in February. Buen Camino!

I'll be staying at Beilari too. I head out on April 14th. I stayed there last year and really enjoyed the hospitality.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, I am planning to walk in April 2017. From what I gather the journey from SJPDP takes 35 days to Santiago de Compostela. I need to book my flight for when I am done and hope that 35 days will be enough? I'm 32 years old and quite fit so I think I should be able to finish in time.

Will April be a very quiet month or will there be pilgrims to meet on the journey. I am travelling alone and am hoping to meet some interesting people along the way.

I am flying to Madrid from Windhoek, Namibia. What is the easiest way to get to SJPDP from Madrid. From what I see a flight from Madrid to Biarritz, France and then by Train to SJPDP seems to be the easiest? Any suggestions. I will only be spending one night in Madrid and then want to get to SJPDP as fast as I can to start the walk.

From what I gather April is mostly fine during the day with cold nights and some chances of rain. May seems to be the perfect month to walk, however am I right in saying that April is fine as well?

Cannot wait!

Hi Jaco,

Great to find someone here who's also planning to start walking early April! I was starting to worry I might have planned my trip too early in the season. I'm arriving at SJPP on 1 April, planning to start walking on 2 April. Have you learned anything crucial on this forum since joining? I'm planning 33 days to Santiago and would really like to add the walk to Finisterre, but let's see how much time I have! If anyone has any advice it's very welcome. Very much looking forward to go!

Iris

Hi Jaco,

Great to find someone here who's also planning to start walking early April! I was starting to worry I might have planned my trip too early in the season. I'm arriving at SJPP on 1 April, planning to start walking on 2 April. Have you learned anything crucial on this forum since joining? I'm planning 33 days to Santiago and would really like to add the walk to Finisterre, but let's see how much time I have! If anyone has any advice it's very welcome. Very much looking forward to go!

Iris

Iris -- there is a group of us (not friends, just met on this forum) who are leaving the first few days of April. We have a "conversation" started. I will invite you to join that group. Gary

Iris -- there is a group of us (not friends, just met on this forum) who are leaving the first few days of April. We have a "conversation" started. I will invite you to join that group. Gary

There is a list in the posts of who is leaving when . . . so, you might find someone in SJPP on the same day you are starting.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jaco,

Iris

Hi, starting on Monday. From what I have learnt, a month should be sufficient to reach Santiago. Hope to meet you along the way.

Hi Jaco,

Iris
Hi Iris, I'm started the same day as you so hopefully we'll bump into one another. It looks like the Nepoleon route is still shut - shame! I'm so excited.

Hi Iris, I'm started the same day as you so hopefully we'll bump into one another. It looks like the Nepoleon route is still shut - shame! I'm so excited.
That's such a shame, fingers crossed the weather will miraculously clear up!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bobby --- We have set up a small "conversation" group of people who are beginning in SJPP on the first five days of April. I will add you --- if you want to join the conversation.

G’Day Sr.Bigote, I am wondering if this conversation group is still alive / active ... I would like to join even though I realise that it is many moons ago ... I am particularly interested to ask people about their experiences walking early April 2017 ... thanks in advance for your guidance 😊

I'm still here! I was part of that group. I'm actually heading to Santiago shortly to do the four day walk to Finisterre. What would you like to know?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back