• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in August?

waxwing

First of all, what a great forum! I have learned so much in just the past few weeks reading all of your advice and anecdotes. Thank you!

I will have about a month of free time between August 8 and Sept 11 between two different weddings in the USA. I really would like to do the Camino Frances during this time, possibly starting in Pamploma so I don't have to rush to Santiago.

However, whenever I search "august" in the forums, all I see are bad things-- extremely hot, crowded, lots of rowdy college kids on break (I'm 25, but not quite in college-party mode anymore), waiting in lines for beds, showers, and food, not the "real Camino experience", etc.... Can someone reassure me with some positive stories about August? I'm a happy lone traveler and it takes a lot to discourage me, but I'm wondering if I should wait until I can do this trip in the quieter months as most posters here seem to.

Additionally, what's the warmest thing I will want to pack, to account for any early morning chill or summer storms?

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey,

Welcome! :)
I'm going to walk my Camino also at the end of August, starting from Astorga.
I've no experience, but I plan to take a thin fleece, rain jacket and poncho. My backpack weighs per total ca 6kg.
My only concern is to get a bed for every night, I really don't want to have a race. But I believe in " Camino provides" :)
We'll see!

Best,
Egle

Camino provides indeed. It also occurs to me that, if it were really and truly a "bad" experience in August, it wouldn't be the busiest time of year, now would it?

Hope to see you on the road--thanks for your reply!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi waxwing

I will also be walking through most of August, having started in mid July. I'm not too worried about accommodation though as there will almost always be something.

I walked part of the Camino in July a couple of years ago, before retiring from injury, and had no problems at all finding accommodation. In fact, some of the smaller places I stayed in were not even half full. The weather is still chilly in the mornings, but by mid morning temperatures were pleasant again and come midday, it was gloriously warm and hitting 30. Basically, I think it's a great time to go as there is no need to pack much at all (the lightest of everything) and there are lots of people to chat with and share stories.

Hi waxwing!

Although I didn't walk in high-season or August I'm almost sure there won't be any problems for accommodation as long as you pick the albergue in the village that's just before or after major pilgrim stops. That means towns or villages with some historic buildings etc. connected to the pilgrimage. I'm also sure you don't have to get into "race-for-bed", what means getting up at 4AM and standing in the line in front of the albergue already at say 11AM or noon, waiting for the bed. What a pity :roll:

When I saw this I've said to myself I really don't want to be dragged into that stupid race. And so I began walking at 8 or even 9AM, walking fast, making looong stops and searching for a bed at 5 or 6PM. Never had any problems in June.

Hope you'll be satisfied!

Ultreia!

Here a few tips from me:

Don't worry about a bed, a bed you have at home so you don't need to make a pilgrimage for it ;-)
The Camino, and the hospitaleros, will help you to find a safe place to sleep. That will be sometimes on the floor, so think about bringing a sleeping pad.
Read your guide carefully and try to walk against the flow by staying in places that are not the end or beginning of typical "stages".
Try also to read the descriptions of the albergues carefully and try to guess which ones will attract less takers. Hint: If it says "a must have been there albergue", chances are good that it will be crowded. Hope that helps, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all your tips, SYates and co!

I believe in destiny ( and myself) - whatever happens, it was meant to happen and everything takes place for a reason. I hope for the best!

Yeah, waxwing, would be nice to meet you and other pilgrims on the road :)
I think that people, who we'll meet, is one important part of the camino and they have a big impact for the whole experience. Hopefully it turns out nice :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back