• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in August

Caminante Kylie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sarria to Santiago) - 2014
Hello, just wondering if it is really that hot to walk along the Camino Frances in August? I am afraid of the heat but I want to know how hard it is from those who have done it in the past.

Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you want to know what the scores have been over an extended period, check here http://www.aemet.es/es/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos all the data you might need.

The simplistic answer to your question is, hot. But thats my interpretation of day-time shade temperatures of 30C plus because I live in an arctic-maritime climate where those sorts of temperatures occur maybe 5 days a year and we all sit in the shade and drink not-very-cold beer.

I cannot walk in Spain in July / August because I find the day-time temperatures to high for my comfort.

Yes it tends to be hot. Most days last year between SJPDP and the half way mark in Moratinos got above 30 Celsius by the early afternoon. ☀️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started in August with black hair. By the time I arrived on Santiago my hairline was platinum blonde.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

There are plenty of fountains to fill your water bottles, and tons of bars for hydration procurement as well.

Buen camino.

Hello, just wondering if it is really that hot to walk along the Camino Frances in August? I am afraid of the heat but I want to know how hard it is from those who have done it in the past.
I
Thanks.
I walked in September and it was HOT, I can only assume August is hotter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks.
Only ever tried late August, early September but it turned out to be a heatwave with temperatures higher than July and early August. Even though the mornings were getting darker each day, I set out between 6:30 and 7:30 depending on whether or not there was breakfast available before starting. I walked for between 5 and six hours then stopped as it hit the hottest part of the day so was usually inside around 1pm. On one day, it got so hot mid morning that I stopped after just 10km but that was just the one day. Stopping early might be even more appropriate July and August because of the amount of pilgrims looking for an albergue later in the afternoon

A good solution is to start walking about 5:00AM, it won't get hot until 11:00AM or later. Prepare a breakfast the night before, or wait until the next village for coffee.

A good solution is to start walking about 5:00AM, it won't get hot until 11:00AM or later. Prepare a breakfast the night before, or wait until the next village for coffee.
The only problem with this is that it will be dark! That might be fine on the Meseta, but making the descent from the hill towns where many of the albergues are to be found earlier in the walk is a bit hairy (DAMHIKIJK). Besides, you'll be missing about 90 minutes of the landscape!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in September and it was HOT, I can only assume August is hotter.
Not necessarily. My first Camino was the last week of August through September. My second was the first week of July and a couple of weeks of August. I encountered hotter weather in September, particularly on the Meseta.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You have visible light at 4:38 a.m. on the first day of summer. Even in August, it moves only to about 5:21 a.m. You can walk in those conditions, I think.
Making the descent from say Cirauqui or Monjardin in “visible light” is a fools errand imho. Sunrise on Aug 1st in Burgos is 7.07.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked from 6.00am - 6.30am in September and it was too dark to see the marker arrows without headlamps for a while each morning. Very pleasant walking though, as the light slowly takes over the land.

We walked in July and August. It was certainly hot. We ended up starting as early in the morning as we could (before dawn) to avoid walking in the heat of the day. If I were to do it again, I might take one of those hiking umbrellas that attach to your backpack. Not as protection from the rain. We never needed to use our rain gear, not even in Galicia. But as a parasol for protection from the sun.

All that said, it was certainly doable, and doable by people of all ages.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back