• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in December / January

HongBarian

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hello everyone!

I am a senior at university, and I will graduate in 14th December 2019, yay!

I wanna walk the whole Camino Frances right after graduation, but I am afraid because I heard that most of albergues will be closed from December 25th - Jan 14th.

Should I start my Camino journey after Jan 14th or do you guys think I can still find places to stay even if I start before Christmas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We will be starting our Camino Frances sometime in January. About the same time you will. There are four of us (family) doing a winter Camino. We've done the Frances multiple times. We're flying into the UK on Dec.25, to "play" for a few weeks first. You should be able to get accommodations before, during and after.
Burn Camino !!!🏂🏔️🏔️🏔️🏔️🏔️

@HongBarian, Keep an eye on the Aprinca list of open albergues for winter. It will list all of the albergues that respond as open and is updated regularly through winter. Beyond that there are other hostels or hotels that can be used and the costs although more expensive than the albergues can be rather reasonable. The Gronze site is also a good resource to keep handy as is the Godesalco utility to make some planning a little easier.

I am currently considering walking from the last third of December through January but haven't determined which route(s) this year. From what I have seen walking between Christmas and the Epiphany is possible but will require some preplanning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello everyone!

I am a senior at university, and I will graduate in 14th December 2019, yay!

I wanna walk the whole Camino Frances right after graduation, but I am afraid because I heard that most of albergues will be closed from December 25th - Jan 14th.

Should I start my Camino journey after Jan 14th or do you guys think I can still find places to stay even if I start before Christmas.

Honestly, you’re giving yourself an unnecessary problem. There’s pretty much nowhere in Europe where there isn't a mass shutdown of facilities around Christmas.

Someone will come up with a plan for you - this forum will not take ‘no’ for an answer - and if you’re convinced, then go for it.

Following graduation, you’ve got your whole life in front if you. Chill out for a couple of weeks and set off 2nd week of January. Accommodation will still be thin on the ground, but 100% better than two weeks previously.

Last edited:
Henry given some good advice. If you must go I would say to find as many resources as you can for accommodations. Definitely check the Aprinca list. Then you have the free webpage Gronze.com that you can translate to English on Google Chrome. There is the free app Buen Camino and the Wise Pilgrim app (may also be free) and of course Brierley. No one source has every place to stay, But you can access all on your telephone for just a few dollars. You can get Brierley on your kindle that just has maps and places to sleep. Finally you should definitely get a SIM card and cheap plan from Orange or Vodaphone if you are not European and call ahead to make sure places are open.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, you will, categorically have a place to buy food and somewhere to sleep. when I left the st Jean pilgrims office on the 22/12 a couple of years ago, they gave me a list of all the albergues open, I was assured, I wouldn't be left out in the cold! And....I wasn't. The day I left st Jean, the pilgrim numbers were at least double figures. Go for it, you'll love the atmosphere! Congrats on graduating. Wild

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi HongBarian, what did you decide? We are heading off mid December (4 of us).

Anyone else leaving at this time?

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back