• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in Late August

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
As I am writing this, I am getting last minute jitters about my Camino Frances walk at the end of the month. I walked to Logrono in 2018. I will be starting from there hoping to get to Leon and then will access whether I will continue. This time my pack is half the weight (about 13 lbs). I am committed to walking my own pace not that if others. I do feel a bit of normal anxiety mixed with excitement. This time there is the added covid travel layer to think about and plan around. I am a bit concerned about closing bars/cafes, and accommodations so am listening in on the conversations with those on the Way now and of course helpful Ivar. I walked alone last time and felt totally comfortable. This time with less people I hope I feel the same. Anyway, I am excited and jittery. I’d love to hear from people on the Frances right now. Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am starting end August and also have the jitters. I think it is my own fault as I am doom scrolling everyday and it’s the doom news that of course stands out. There are some sensible people walking at the moment and I take reassurance from their posts on this site.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am starting end August and also have the jitters. I think it is my own fault as I am doom scrolling everyday and it’s the doom news that of course stands out. There are some sensible people walking at the moment and I take reassurance from their posts on this site.
I also start walking on August 29th and excited but I too look for the positives so am not scrolling as much as I was before.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As I am writing this, I am getting last minute jitters about my Camino Frances walk at the end of the month. I walked to Logrono in 2018. I will be starting from there hoping to get to Leon and then will access whether I will continue. This time my pack is half the weight (about 13 lbs). I am committed to walking my own pace not that if others. I do feel a bit of normal anxiety mixed with excitement. This time there is the added covid travel layer to think about and plan around. I am a bit concerned about closing bars/cafes, and accommodations so am listening in on the conversations with those on the Way now and of course helpful Ivar. I walked alone last time and felt totally comfortable. This time with less people I hope I feel the same. Anyway, I am excited and jittery. I’d love to hear from people on the Frances right now. Thank you.
I am walking it right now and am nearing Burgos. I am loving it so far and have had no problems finding food and albergues.

Hi there, we too are supposed to be arriving in SJPDP September 1st to start our 3rd Camino and we are from North of Toronto, ON Canada. We have had our full vaccines but are still really quite nervous and worried about this variant that is spreading quite quickly throughout EU. Things looked really promising when we booked this time but it took a turn for the worst quite fast. It also looks like this variant is starting to climb in Ontario. We have everything booked but I guess we will just have to keep an eye open for any drastic changes which will determine whether we continue with our plans. I had started with our plans to start this camino again since the end of 2019 but when the time came near the Covid got worse so this is my 4th attempt and who knows if this one will materialize. Good luck - if we do go maybe we will run into you!
Take Care.....Buen Camino!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also start walking on August 29th and excited but I too look for the positives so am not scrolling as much as I was before.
Hi Drey, may see you en route I’m starting on 31st going up hill to the new stopover.
I’ll see what sort of distance thereafter, uphill tends to be less of an issue with my aging body, but it complains going downhill, just one of the physical challenges for the first couple of weeks.
Excitement is building as we get closer to launch.
Buen Camino

Hi there, we too are supposed to be arriving in SJPDP September 1st to start our 3rd Camino and we are from North of Toronto, ON Canada. We have had our full vaccines but are still really quite nervous and worried about this variant that is spreading quite quickly throughout EU. Things looked really promising when we booked this time but it took a turn for the worst quite fast. It also looks like this variant is starting to climb in Ontario. We have everything booked but I guess we will just have to keep an eye open for any drastic changes which will determine whether we continue with our plans. I had started with our plans to start this camino again since the end of 2019 but when the time came near the Covid got worse so this is my 4th attempt and who knows if this one will materialize. Good luck - if we do go maybe we will run into you!
COVID concerns are valid, but indicators suggest it is predominantly the young and unvaccinated that are getting symptoms. Being a pragmatist I think our chances of contracting it are considerably less than being involved in a traffic accident and getting better every day.
My main concern was the addition of a new variant, but so far so good.
You should be just behind me as I arrive in SJPDP on the 31st and straight uphill after a long train journey from the UK.
Buen Camino

I'm here near Burgos right now and we never know what might happen with the covid. But I can tell you that Spain is the second largest country with the highest percentage rate of fully vaccinated and they are still vaccinating. They think they will reach 75 percent soon as they don't really have a vaccine hesitant subpopulation like we do in the USA. The word on the ground is no additional covid measures will be needed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another Canadian here from Ottawa. We are flying to Paris Aug 12 and start walking Norte from Biarritz. Yesterday was our deadline to cancel. We decided to push ahead and throw caution to the wind. No concerns re Covid while hiking all day...and usual cautions at accommodations/eateries.

Hi Drey, may see you en route I’m starting on 31st going up hill to the new stopover.
I’ll see what sort of distance thereafter, uphill tends to be less of an issue with my aging body, but it complains going downhill, just one of the physical challenges for the first couple of weeks.
Excitement is building as we get closer to launch.
Buen Camino
I'm also staying at Borda on the 29th..we may very well connect!

My husband and I are currently on camino, about 85-ish km from Santiago. We started in Pamplona. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? I'm happy to share whatever I can from our experiences these past few weeks.😁

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife and I hope to start at SJPDP around the 10th of September or so. We will be two more Canadians on the way. We have seven weeks to get to Fisterre, so hope covid numbers continue to plateau across Spain.

Another Canadian here from Ottawa. We are flying to Paris Aug 12 and start walking Norte from Biarritz. Yesterday was our deadline to cancel. We decided to push ahead and throw caution to the wind. No concerns re Covid while hiking all day...and usual cautions at accommodations/eateries.
I am very excited to hear about all the Canadians going on Camino - great work! What are you all doing to enter Spain? The Spanish health form / QR code - is that it? What do you show for proof of vaccinations? I got my shots at are local pharmacy - double Astra Zeneca but my card is literally just a slip of white paper! Will this be ok - have any other Canadians had any issues transiting through airports or entering Spain? My father and I leave on sept 8 to Barcelona hoping to finish in Muxia - 55 days and getting excited 😊 🤞😷🙏🍻

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband and I are currently on camino, about 85-ish km from Santiago. We started in Pamplona. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? I'm happy to share whatever I can from our experiences these past few I

Any news about infections of pilgrims/quarantined

I am very excited to hear about all the Canadians going on Camino - great work! What are you all doing to enter Spain? The Spanish health form / QR code - is that it? What do you show for proof of vaccinations? I got my shots at are local pharmacy - double Astra Zeneca but my card is literally just a slip of white paper! Will this be ok - have any other Canadians had any issues transiting through airports or entering Spain? My father and I leave on sept 8 to Barcelona hoping to finish in Muxia - 55 days and getting excited 😊 🤞😷🙏🍻
So far as I know the Spanish travel app is all you need to know, and filling it out gives the QR code that they will recognize. Our province, Manitoba, has provided us with QR code cards that also link to the provincial vaccination database. We will carry that, for what its worth. As cases change over the next month we will just have to be flexible to maybe get swabs done at different stages of travel if new requirements develop.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We haven't encountered any infection issues and no one we've talked to has heard about anything either. I'm not aware of the greater regions and what is going on there as far as covid. Everyone is intentional to keep distancing including outdoors on the trails and masks are worn everywhere except when eating or sleeping. Hope that helps.
We haven't encountered any infection issues and no one we've talked to has heard about anything either. I'm not aware of the greater regions and what is going on there as far as covid. Everyone is intentional to keep distancing including outdoors on the trails and masks are worn everywhere except when eating or sleeping. Hope that helps.

Hello everyone - I think I’m your first US traveler adding comments to this thread. We are bound for the Way starting on 8/25. Very excited! This week I plan to finalize the packing list and weigh my pack. I,m trying to keep our packs around 20lbs or less including water.

I know right!! Not to diminish the valid concerns but it is overwhelming when I read the news as well. I am also starting end of August. Its getting real now!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I just shared this on a thread post I started and have been sharing updates along the way:
>> Hi friends currently on CF (1 August 2021). I just had an update from a fellow pilgrim who made it to Palas de Rei tonight. When she arrived at the municipal she was informed they had just been closed down due to a covid outbreak so she is continuing on. Thought this might be helpful to pass along. This is the first news like this we've heard since starting earlier in July.

My husband and I are currently on camino, about 85-ish km from Santiago. We started in Pamplona. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? I'm happy to share whatever I can from our experiences these past few weeks.😁
Perhaps if you could share where you stayed that felt good for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps if you could share where you stayed that felt good for you.
Our 2 favourite places so far have been Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos and Albergue Camino y Leyenda in Trabadelo. The hosts in both places were extremely generous with services and really delicious large meals. They interacted with the guests too which we haven't really had. Their facilities were very clean and sanitising measures were really good. We highly recommend both of these!!

I too am starting in late August!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there, I have the BC Services card app...from it you can access your vaccinations and download your record so it's on your phone. I also printed it off so it is more official looking. I'm flying through Paris to Biarritz so haven't had to do the Spanish health form.

In Manitoba, we have QR code, official government issued card and a digital immunization card. Is there a mechanism for obtaining official immunization records from BC Health? I am not sure though please keep us posted. Good luck &
Buen Camino

there is no QR code required if walking into Spain from France...only if flying or cruising into Spain. It clearly says so in their fine print.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any official proof from Canada showing you are fully vaccinated should be fine; in the event you encounter any issue while walking. Galicia is adopting new rules and want proof to enter restaurants, for example.

Hi there, I have the BC Services card app...from it you can access your vaccinations and download your record so it's on your phone. I also printed it off so it is more official looking. I'm flying through Paris to Biarritz so haven't had to do the Spanish health form.
In Alberta of course the gov prefers we have no record at all. So I’m colour double sided printing mine , adding my passport photo, then pdfing it, and printing it again.

Hey Audrey, I'm leaving August 21st maybe we'll catch up I'm doing the Francis at the same time

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Audrey, I'm heading off to do the Francis on August 21st we'll have to catch up in Spain

Hi Audrey, I'm heading off to do the Francis on August 21st we'll have to catch up in Spain
Lol...awesome, but I won't be able to catch up to you :)...I'm so excited. Where are you starting from and how long have you planned to go for?

Lol...awesome, but I won't be able to catch up to you :)...I'm so excited. Where are you starting from and how long have you planned to go for?
Starting August 21st from Saint John going for 6 weeks I walk slow you'll probably catch me LOL

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Starting August 21st from Saint John going for 6 weeks I walk slow you'll probably catch me LOL
I'll give you a call this week we can compare notes on what will need when we get there ie vaccines and what not

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Two more Americans here (technically....) we are actually residents of Portugal for 5 + years now. Regardless, we are beginning our 4th (Rick) and 5th (me) Caminos on August 18. So, so very excited! Once again, going up over the pyrenees, the difference this time, sending our mochilas ahead for the 1st 2 days.

Whimpy I suppose, but at the tender young ages of 70 and 71, we are cool with it! We will also be 2 of the unashamed perigrinos boasting our new Camino umbrellas to avoid a repeat of 2018 heatstroke!

Hope to meet many of you out there. Buen Camino to all.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.