• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in March 2022.. Advice ??

LucHammond

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (planned)
Hey everyone ! I'm doing the Camino Frances in March 2022 starting in SJPDP.
I'm just wondering if anyone is going at a similar time and what is everyone's thoughts on having to book the auberges?
I didn't particularly want to be tied down to days and distances travelled as I wanted a different experience, but should I be booking in advance set places?
Thanks for any help given :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm just wondering if anyone is going at a similar time and what is everyone's thoughts on having to book the auberges?
I didn't particularly want to be tied down to days and distances travelled as I wanted a different experience, but should I be booking in advance set places?
Hi, Veteran here and planning to start late March from Roncesvalles. In general, even in the high season of May/June, I did not pre-plan my stages or book ahead other than SJPP and Orrison. On the CF and Primitovo, I would call a private albergue the evening before once we we considered the next days plan over drinks. :)

I think it’s going to be difficult to guess what pent up demand will be like this year, but considering most albergues don’t open until Easter, I have only booked Roncevalles and Zubiri (we were shut out in 2015 May 1st … and soaking wet after it rained all day!) After that, I will stick to my standard approach. I truly never know how much distance I will be up for in advance or how we’ll adapt to weather. And I think every route and Camino is a lesson in adaptation. So even after calling the night before we can call to cancel if plans need to change.

Hope that helps. Buen Camino!
Leah

Last edited:
I'm starting March 30 from SJPP. I have booked Holy Thursday through Easter Sunday as Semana Santa tends to get busy with pilgrims - especially those going back to their native towns. (My son is also meeting me Good Friday and walking with me for 8 days or so. The fact that there will be two of us, I felt that reserving for a few of those days would be wise). Other than that, I don't book in advance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You shouldn’t have difficulty in March. Do call ahead if want to make sure places are open…especially if the weather is poor! Remember Easter is April 16 and count on heavy traffic during Semana Santa. If you will be approaching from Sarria onward at that time, do make reservations.

Last edited:
I echo what @nomadpeah said. We're starting in Roncesvalles mid-March. We may reserve in Zubiri but after that we're just going to wing it. We turn onto the Invierno in Ponferrada so hopefully we'll be on that route Easter week. Buen Camino!

Hello all,
Follow up question regarding calling the albergues: how frequently will they speak english? I'm mono-lingual but spinning up on my camino Spanish. I have little faith in my ability to reserve a bed in Spanish, my first week on the way.

I'm departing SJPdP on March 3rd and will start my first week with short distances, 12-15km.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello all,
Follow up question regarding calling the albergues: how frequently will they speak english? I'm mono-lingual but spinning up on my camino Spanish. I have little faith in my ability to reserve a bed in Spanish, my first week on the way.

I'm departing SJPdP on March 3rd and will start my first week with short distances, 12-15km.
Message them using WhatsApp. That way you can use your favourite translator and they can reply when they aren't busy.

Most Albergues use WhatsApp, just use their telephone number within WhatsApp.

Message them using WhatsApp. That way you can use your favourite translator and they can reply when they aren't busy.

Most Albergues use WhatsApp, just use their telephone number within WhatsApp.
Did you have to get a special phone or SIM card for that coming from overseas? I’m it familiar with What’s app but will look into it. Thank you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm just wondering if anyone is going at a similar time
On this thread, we have people "signing up" for March starts. Once you decide on a date, put your name down on that thread!
Did you have to get a special phone or SIM card for that coming from overseas?
For answers to this question, look in the Equipment forum for "phones & electronics". (Some of those recent threads got into a lot of complicated details, but feel free to post your own question.)

I'm starting from SJPP on 21st March and I've booked Valcarlos, Roncesvalles and Zubiri, as well as Good Friday to Easter Monday (but these are free cancellation so if I find I am moving at a different pace I can cancel easily)

Did you have to get a special phone or SIM card for that coming from overseas?
I did get a local SIM card which I used in my dual SIM card Android smartphone. But most Albergues and bars have WiFi and so you could use that instead of a local SIM card but I like to have access to data when I am out on the Way.
I’m it familiar with What’s app but will look into it. Thank you
I prefer Signal myself as an encrypted messaging app but I am forced to also use WhatsApp as that is much more common in Spain and for most Albergues is the preferred method of communication.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for everyone's replies really great advice there, really appreciate it. I think I will book a few places toward the start of my journey to give me peace of mind!
I'm starting from SJPP on 21st March and I've booked Valcarlos, Roncesvalles and Zubiri, as well as Good Friday to Easter Monday (but these are free cancellation so if I find I am moving at a different pace I can cancel easily)
I've just read on another thread that SJPDP to Roncesvalles is closed during March? Have you heard similar? It was news to me anyway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Napoleon route is closed until April 1st. You will be required to travel via the Valcarlos route.

Just wanted to chime in to remind anyone using Whatsapp to message albergues that whatsapp only works on mobile phones, which here in Spain are those that start with 6 or 7. So if you are trying to message a number that starts with 9, it is a landline and it won't work.

As for the availability of albergues in March, I echo the comment above that it is more important to check that they are open than if they have beds. With Semana Santa so late in the calendar, the early March pilgrims will face at least a few shuttered albergues still. That said, it should not pose much of a challenge.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
« Just wanted to chime in to remind anyone using Whatsapp to message albergues »
How do we use Whatsapp for messaging
I thought that it was only between me and my contact list ?
I am starting on the 24th of March (SJPdP) onlly the 2 first nights are booked 😊
thanks

I have booked myself into Gite Makila in SJPDP ON Friday 25th March before setting off on the road to Santiago the following day ..it be the first time for me at this distance as previously I did the English Way .. I have the guide book from John Brierley and got reservations from Booking.com for the first week..no one knows I suppose what is in store on the way but I have no plans to return to the UK anytime soon just go out send enjoy whether it's for spiritual reasons or a break from every day life and remember hike the hike ..by the way you need 2 pilgrim passports not one as you need two stamps for each day

We loved not booking ahead, on my first Camino, however it’s a different world today.
We walked again in October 2021.
I highly recommend booking one day in advance.
We used Gronze.com
No need to rush your day trying to get a bed.
Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Napoleon route is closed until April 1st. You will be required to travel via the Valcarlos route.
At least April 1. After April 1st it’s weather permitting. Twice when I’ve walked in the spring, it didn’t spend open until April 14 and closed again the next day.

.by the way you need 2 pilgrim passports not one as you need two stamps for each day
You only need two stamps per day during the last 100 km into Santiago, regardless of your starting point.

I have managed SJPDP to Santiago with just one credential, as I usually only get one stamp per day until the last 100 km. If you like to collect a lot of stamps you may want another credential.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You only need two stamps per day during the last 100 km into Santiago, regardless of your starting point.

I have managed SJPDP to Santiago with just one credential, as I usually only get one stamp per day until the last 100 km. If you like to collect a lot of stamps you may want another credential.
Oh yes I understand that and if I be right it be from Sarria..yes I like my stamps lol saying that I got 4 credentials as I was at one time thinking of doing another one at a later stage 😆

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have started in mid March and early April and booked only St Jean and Orisson for the April one. March was started from Pamplona so did not need any reservations. In March, there was still snow on Perdon and it was a bit chilly in the early morning. April from SJPDP was lovely weather so Napolean was open. Stopped in Orisson but by the time we got to dinner a gale was blowing and the next day I walked in a blizzard of snow then hail then rain then snow again. You will be going ValCarlos so there is only one albergue on the route. I believe you can reserve it by phoning the Tourist office in Valcarlos but as far as I know, it is seldom full. I would certainly book Roncesvalles and include dinner in your booking. Early April, there was no problem with beds but well packed out restaurants for dinner. Be wary about little stream crossings after Roncesvalles if there is a lot of rain. I had almost 24 hours of rain and coupled with the melting snow from the hills, some of the streams were torrents. Outside of Espinal, a little river bed that is usually dry was deeper than the bridge and myself and a couple of others ended up falling in. I am not trying to scare you, just be aware of your surroundings if the weather is bad. Much as my crossing of the Pyrenees was horrendous, I still look back on it fondly and slightly proud of myself for having battled through successfully. But back to your original question, I dont think you will need reservations. You are only tying yourself down. Try booking ahead on a daily basis when you can make a better on site judgement of the circumstances. My advice is always to start early, walk for about 6 hours to noon or 1pm ish then stop at the next albergue you come to. Always worked for me cause most people want to keep on walking. I stopped in albergues that were well booked out but they always kept enough beds for walk ins so at midday, they always had some. Enjoy your camino but dont rush to send home your warmer clothes as the weather warms up. That early in the year it can turn cold again in an instant

Id say you should be ok at that time of year :)

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Veteran here and planning to start late March from Roncesvalles. In general, even in the high season of May/June, I did not pre-plan my stages or book ahead other than SJPP and Orrison. On the CF and Primitovo, I would call a private albergue the evening before once we we considered the next days plan over drinks. :)

I think it’s going to be difficult to guess what pent up demand will be like this year, but considering most albergues don’t open until Easter, I have only booked Roncevalles and Zubiri (we were shut out in 2015 May 1st … and soaking wet after it rained all day!) After that, I will stick to my standard approach. I truly never know how much distance I will be up for in advance or how we’ll adapt to weather. And I think every route and Camino is a lesson in adaptation. So even after calling the night before we can call to cancel if plans need to change.

Leah
Enjoy your walk.

March will be very quiet. Also you will have a later start in the mornings as the dawn will be 07:40ish. It will be quite cold at the start so dress well. As for accommodation, there is so much to choose from on the Frances and I would not worry any at that time of year. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 17 days in October 2019. Mostly there were multiple choices of places available to stay.Good luck. Enjoy your Camino.

I did get a local SIM card which I used in my dual SIM card Android smartphone. But most Albergues and bars have WiFi and so you could use that instead of a local SIM card but I like to have access to data when I am out on the Way.

I prefer Signal myself as an encrypted messaging app but I am forced to also use WhatsApp as that is much more common in Spain and for most Albergues is the preferred method of communication.
Thanks. I have Signal as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go in very early March and you will miss Semana Santa. Check gronze for opening/closed albergues. It is the CF you should have no problems.

Go in very early March and you will miss Semana Santa. Check gronze for opening/closed albergues. It is the CF you should have no problems.
Have done the CF three times all starting around the first of March. No need for reservations. Be prepared for snow in the high elevations. I love Semana Santa. Plan to go again in March 2023

Have done the CF three times all starting around the first of March. No need for reservations. Be prepared for snow in the high elevations. I love Semana Santa. Plan to go again in March 2023
Frank I was going to go after Easter in 2023 but you are saying you enjoy that time and to go during it? Can you expound on that a bit as to why if you have time? Maybe a few pros and cons? Thank you sir.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Frank I was going to go after Easter in 2023 but you are saying you enjoy that time and to go during it? Can you expound on that a bit as to why if you have time? Maybe a few pros and cons? Thank you sir.
Fantastic parades and local celebrations. I was in the large city of Leon for Holy Thursday/Good Friday twice and was able to get a bed in an albergue without a problem. Smaller towns will definitely not be a problem. March is great because you get to know most of the pilgrims traveling the same speed as you are and no sweating or bugs while walking. Many of the albergues are just opening for the season and have new or renovated facilities. Never had a problem finding a bed or restaurant to eat in

I'm not Frank (obviously) but Easter is an interesting time as you see all the local festivities in the villages as you pass through. The downside would be a lot of other walkers (big groups etc.) and it might be difficult to find accommodation.

I'm not Frank (obviously) but Easter is an interesting time as you see all the local festivities in the villages as you pass through. The downside would be a lot of other walkers (big groups etc.) and it might be difficult to find accommodation.
Great advice from Frank who has walked the Camino 3 times during this period.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You still walking in 23 Molly?

Yes, that's the plan.
Same. Right now I’m still targeting to start the CF the week after Easter but obviously things can change. I remember your forum name from the 23 group thread so as the time gets closer hopefully we can share ideas on when is the best time to go. Thanks again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Enjoy your walk.
Hi friend!!
Hello all,

I am from Texas and speak enough bad Spanish to get by on the phone. 😂 WhatsApp is a good suggestion that never occurred to me. I found that hospitalarios and albergues owners are usually willing to call for you as well.

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in to remind anyone using Whatsapp to message albergues that whatsapp only works on mobile phones, which here in Spain are those that start with 6 or 7. So if you are trying to message a number that starts with 9, it is a landline and it won't work.

As for the availability of albergues in March, I echo the comment above that it is more important to check that they are open than if they have beds. With Semana Santa so late in the calendar, the early March pilgrims will face at least a few shuttered albergues still. That said, it should not pose much of a challenge.
@wisepilgrim knows - great advice.

Hello all. My first camino and first time on this site. I am so grateful for everyone’s input. Very helpful! I am flying in from Orlando March 17th and plan to start the journey at SJPDP. My plan is to take my time and enjoy the views! I hope the Napoleon way is open as I’ve read that is the best view. I’ve not booked any accommodations and hope for the best. I do have a question about water. How much water do you carry? I have two water bottles but not sure if i need both or are there enough areas to refill. Thanks all!!

Firstly, you will need to travel via Valcarlos on day one as Napolean is closed till April 1st. I bring 2 bottles as well because keeping hydrated is crucial (each and every day). That said, there are plenty of opportunities to refill along the way.

Hello all. My first camino and first time on this site. I am so grateful for everyone’s input. Very helpful! I am flying in from Orlando March 17th and plan to start the journey at SJPDP. My plan is to take my time and enjoy the views! I hope the Napoleon way is open as I’ve read that is the best view.

In March you will need to go via Valcarlos as the Napoleon route is closed until April 1st - or later depending on weather. Sorry!

The views on the Valcarlos route are just great!
I have walked that route 10 times. There is a path to follow through the wood; when walking in winter walk the verges of the route N135 in order to avoid the snow covered path.

The Valcarlos albergue although municipal take reservations.
See more here

Do be aware that from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles monastery there are no services nor potabile water. Buy any trail snacks that you might need walking when you arrive in Valcarlos so that you can leave early from Valcarlos before the shops are open. Be prepared!

For more info on this historic route see
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...your-experience-on-the-valcarlos-route.55151/

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The views on the Valcarlos route are just great!
I have walked that route 10 times. There is a path to follow through the wood; when walking in winter walk the verges of the route N135 in order to avoid the snow covered path.

The Valcarlos albergue although municipal take reservations.
See more here

Do be aware that from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles monastery there are no services nor potabile water. Buy any trail snacks that you might need walking when you arrive in Valcarlos so that you can leave early from Valcarlos before the shops are open. Be prepared!

For more info on this historic route see
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...your-experience-on-the-valcarlos-route.55151/
Ola,
I am planning to walk this summer and want to walk the Valcarlos route, bus back to SJPP then walk the Napoleon with an overnight in Orisson. I have read that parts of the Valcarlos route can be dangerous due to no shoulder on the highway, particularly exiting Valcarlos. Has this been your experience?
Gracious
Pete

Pete,

I never found leaving Valcarlos particularly dangerous; each camino I spent the night in the municipal albergue and left early in the morning just at daybreak. As in all endeavors you need to be aware. Arriving at Roncesvalles I was always very tired, especially the first time.

Whenever/wherever you do go
Carpe diem and Buen camino.

Last edited:

Leah
I agree with booking through to Zubiri for sure. We were shut out also from Zubiri in April 2019 with no beds at all till Pamplona where many had to taxi to. There is always that bottleneck of people starting out in SJPdP so it takes several days for the crowds to thin out. After that booking one day ahead worked well. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pete,

I never found leaving Valcarlos particularly dangerous; each camino I spent the night in the municipal albergue and left early in the morning just at daybreak. As in all endeavors you need to be aware. Arriving at Roncesvalles I was always very tired, especially the first time.

Whenever/wherever you do go
Carpe diem and Buen camino.
Gracias and buen camino

Hola peregrinos,
I’m going Mar. 18- Apr 3 Bilbao arrival from Canada. I’m doing Burgos to Ponferrada. Hoping no unusual hiccups on this section. Also, fingers crossed that albergues will be opening up. Wish I could stay longer to enjoy Easter festivities but sadly I’m still working so not able to. Thankyou for all tips above re WhatsApp and Gronze.com. This is my third Camino section and I’m so excited!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all,

I'll be leaving on my first Camino from Pamplona March 8. Should be pretty close together after that. Jesus y Maria in Pamplona uses a nice e-form for reservations, translates to Spanish. You'll be a pro by then!

« Just wanted to chime in to remind anyone using Whatsapp to message albergues »
I am starting on the 24th of March (SJPdP) onlly the 2 first nights are booked 😊
thanks
You can add the albergue to your contact list

Hello all. My first camino and first time on this site. I am so grateful for everyone’s input. Very helpful! I am flying in from Orlando March 17th and plan to start the journey at SJPDP. My plan is to take my time and enjoy the views! I hope the Napoleon way is open as I’ve read that is the best view. I’ve not booked any accommodations and hope for the best. I do have a question about water. How much water do you carry? I have two water bottles but not sure if i need both or are there enough areas to refill. Thanks all!!
You can refill your water bottle in Orisson or Valcarlos, depending on which route you take and so one bottle is probably okay, just make sure that the bottle is full when you leave Orisson or Valcarlos as there is still a long way to go after that.

Edited to make the recommendations more general.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can refill your water bottle in Orisson and so one bottle is probably okay, just make sure that the bottle is full when you leave Orisson as there is still a long way to go after that.
But in March she won't be going through Orisson, she will be walking via Valcarlos.

I be starting the Camino Frances on March 26th from SJPDP it be the first time for me ..I am taking the guide book written by John Brierley ..it for spiritual reasons with my first night in Espinal then I will only have 11 miles for the following day then 11 miles into Pamplona on day 3 ..

I be starting the Camino Frances on March 26th from SJPDP it be the first time for me ..I am taking the guide book written by John Brierley ..it for spiritual reasons with my first night in Espinal then I will only have 11 miles for the following day then 11 miles into Pamplona on day 3 ..
Right around the corner! Good luck to you. I’m not going until next year so I get to live vicariously through this groups adventures so make them great!

Hi, I am heading on CF next week and also feel the same. Wondering should I book ahead but I get to SJPP early so might start to walk as far as valcarlos the same day but don't want to commit until i see what I feel like! So would be interested in advice here. Buen camino

Hi, I am heading on CF next week and also feel the same. Wondering should I book ahead but I get to SJPP early so might start to walk as far as valcarlos the same day but don't want to commit until i see what I feel like! So would be interested in advice here. Buen camino
Hi Claire, I'm 7 days in now and there's been. Absolutely no problem with places being booked. Sometimes the night before I've booked a place for the next day if I know I can make it there! I have some nicer places booked for the bigger cities on dates I think I'll get there on booking that can be cancelled also if I don't make it on time. Not a single place I've stayed In so far has been close to full - buen Camino! You'll have a great time

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Claire, I'm 7 days in now and there's been. Absolutely no problem with places being booked. Sometimes the night before I've booked a place for the next day if I know I can make it there! I have some nicer places booked for the bigger cities on dates I think I'll get there on booking that can be cancelled also if I don't make it on time. Not a single place I've stayed In so far has been close to full - buen Camino! You'll have a great time
Thank you Luc. That's good to know. Yes I was thinking I would book something provisional for santiago only as if all goes to plan I will be there just before good Friday and it might be busy for Holy week. Buen camino! Hope you are enjoying it.

Right around the corner! Good luck to you. I’m not going until next year so I get to live vicariously through this groups adventures so make them great!
I intend to do a live feed on a daily basis just to keep everyone following on what be opened and the covid restrictions with another new variant making an appearance

Buen Camino! I’m starting in Burgos.

Buen Camino! I’m starting in Burgos.
Have a lovely time on the camino , I be in Burgos on the 6th April if everything goes to plan but we know that the Camino is never straight forward ..
Buen Camino

Luc & Ed & Card (and all), do tell more about what's open. Anything in small towns like Cizur Menor, Uterga, Los Arcos, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Luc & Ed & Card (and all), do tell more about what's open. Anything in small towns like Cizur Menor, Uterga, Los Arcos, etc
Sure I let everyone know , its a good idea what is open with any of the alberques and hostels... for example I made a reservation in Alberque Jaku in Puente La Reina who said that though they are open the kitchen and Common rooms are closed to us ..Buen Camino in Estelle say though breakfast is included in the price they only doing takeaway breakfast and one or two others are doing self check ins , but things can change overnight as you know so I know more in the next couple of weeks .

How does one make a reservation? Do you call, whatsapp, book.com? Is it different for albergues vs the other places? Is it better to reserve the day before or the day of? How good does your spanish need to be? Do you pay in advance? When you arrive can you look around inside before you sign up? When do you find out about meals, blankets, etc?

I realize there is no single answer to any of these questions (except the inevitable and trite "There is no single answer." But I would love to hear how YOU like to do it, or how you recommend a newbe like me should do it (start off from Pamplona). Thanks in advance to those who give this a shot!

How does one make a reservation? Do you call, whatsapp, book.com? Is it different for albergues vs the other places? Is it better to reserve the day before or the day of? How good does your spanish need to be? Do you pay in advance? When you arrive can you look around inside before you sign up? When do you find out about meals, blankets, etc?

I realize there is no single answer to any of these questions (except the inevitable and trite "There is no single answer." But I would love to hear how YOU like to do it, or how you recommend a newbe like me should do it (start off from Pamplona). Thanks in advance to those who give this a shot!
I went on booking.com and you be surprised how many hostels and alberques are on there ..they have reviews as well from other pilgrims ..how booking.com works is that you make a reservation for the date in question the only sticky point is that if you don't keep to the date in question then you will lose your money as you need to submit your credit card details in order to make the reservation ..the alternative is to go blind and hope that the Alberques en route are not full otherwise you have to check into a hotel especially in the summer months and the last 100km from Sarrie ...hope this helps .
Buen Camino

thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I went on booking.com and you be surprised how many hostels and alberques are on there ..they have reviews as well from other pilgrims ..how booking.com works is that you make a reservation for the date in question the only sticky point is that if you don't keep to the date in question then you will lose your money as you need to submit your credit card details in order to make the reservation ..the alternative is to go blind and hope that the Alberques en route are not full otherwise you have to check into a hotel especially in the summer months and the last 100km from Sarrie ...hope this helps .
Buen Camino
I did forget to mention you can cancel the reservation in the time limit they give you without losing your payment , so book just for two or three evenings in advance pending time of year
Buen camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hope your having a lovely time ..I be leaving Leon Friday 22nd , going blind so not booking anywhere until the night before , normally you can make reservations if you are using the camino Ninja app

I also did little pre-booking. Our Camino Family got quite large, and would contact the next night’s albergue to alert them to our numbers. If I chose a single room, I usually booked it on my way that afternoon on Booking.com off of Ninga. Did not run into any problems in March/ April.

Hello Curious if you when in March you started and what your experience was. (Temps, number of people, places to eat).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Curious if you when in March you started and what your experience was. (Temps, number of people, places to eat).
That member hasn't been on the forum since April 2022. I suggest that you start a new thread with your questions. A good site for Camino weather questions is

I started March 30 (2022) from SJPP. It was cold several days but layers work wonders. I had snow on two occasions - the worst of it was up to Alto del Perdon en route to Puente la Reina. I also had one very very windy day perhaps about April 10th or so. As for numbers - well, I always had company when I wanted and didn't when I wanted solitude. I never had an issue finding a bed along the way. As for food - I never went hundry - there is always a place to grab a bite and refreshment.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back