• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino frances in march - 3 months pregnant - do it? or non?

manzanita

Allo!

Looking for any words of wisdom about doing the trail this time of year. Thinking of starting in Burgos. Concerned about weather and accommodation being open. My mom (65) wants to come too and she is up for some challenges but nothing too terribly epic.

Should I just wait and do it in a couple years? Or is it worth it to brave the weather etc.?

thanks for your insight!
Paula

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hi!!!

i do not know what to say about your pregnancy and about your mom doing it...
as for the weather: i just came back from my second camino(jan 23-febr 3), and surprisingly it was not that terrible rainy galicia i met one year ago. for 12 days we had sun, around 10 celsius middays, but cold mornings and evenings. once, only once did it rain, for about 3 hours... this is very rare... about O Cebreiro everybody told me i am lucky if see anything, because it is always covered with fog, now we walked in sunshine!!!! so you can have sunshine, but expect rain!!!! especially in Galicia, then you can have a nice surprise as we did... sun and sun and sun... if you break your stages into short ones, i could imagine you doing it... i usually walked around 20 kms a day, it was ok... but you have albergues open on shorter distances too, maybe you pay a little more than in the public ones...

Hi Paula
as a 63 year old father of 5 ( 3 daughters) who has walked from Burgos twice I say go for it- pregnancy is not an illness plus it will be a lot easier carrying your baby than pushing it a pram ( which I have seen twice on that route) but I would be failing as a father if I didn't say take advice from your doctor plus you did't say how old you were and is it your first? the route is not that difficult if taken easy, oh whats the rule on flying am thinking more coming back than going.
here in England we have a famous marathon runner who ran while 3 months pregnant :|
it maybe even be healthy for you.
mind you if I had asked the mothers of my children to walk while pregnant I would have got short shrift.
good luck
Ian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I had three children and felt better pregnant than any other time in my life.
I did everything up until the births that I did beforehand, so I'd say go for it.
As long as you feel ok, you should have a great time!
And the walking would be GREAT for you!

I walked in the month of March 3 years ago. There was some snow in higher altitudes but the roads were clear and it was not a problem. Generally the weather was cool but not too cold and rather pleasant for walking. There were one or two days with misty very light rain but never a downpour. Of course, it can be completely different from year to year, month to month etc. Also, i did not have any trouble at all finding places to stay. Many albergues are opened at that time of year. A few might be closed but each night, the albergue where you are staying can apprise you of which albergues are available. I found it a great time to walk. Very peaceful, very quiet yet always a handful of people at the albergues for socializing. let us know how it works out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Paula.
First of all - how badly do you really want to do the Camino? Obviously pregnancy affects mothers-to be in so many different ways, so what is applicable to one person, is not always the same for another.
If you really want to go, feel fit enought, then check with your gynocologist first of all. I also think that under the circumstances, use the backpack hauling service when ever you feel like it, which is available all over the Camino, from one stop to the next. Remember that the pack will be strapped around your waist (supposedly resting on your hips) for 5/7 hours a day, so you should take that into serious consideration. Good luck, Anne

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies - so very much appreciated. Seems like it could be 'good, amazing, bad or ugly' - so hard to predict what the weather will be like. My mom and I are still considering and will decide in the next couple of weeks. The walking is calling to me though!!!
warm wishes to all,
paula

Paula,
If you do decide to go (and I think you should!) be mindful of what you pack (weight) be sure to take your time, listen to your body, and STAY HYDRATED! Even if its not that hot and you don't feel like drinking, you have to drink! Dehydration can provoke early labor (personal experiences) so I doubt it's a good condition to be in at any stage of your pregnancy. I think your body could easily take the walking; its great exercise for pregnant moms. Best of luck!

Nancy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In a way, I feel I should not reply to this question. I am a nurse and I am mindful about giving professional advice on this matter. I have decided to respond from a woman's and mother's perspective only. It is really an impossible question. Pregnancy is so non straightforward and how does one anticipate how it will go for you. Certainly in a normal pregnancy with a healthy woman and baby, some basic daily walking is likely to be beneficial. Walking 20 km or so a day, if this is what you plan, using a considerable amount of energy to keep your body going, possibly at the expense of the baby, carrying a pack which puts pressure on your pelvis and lower abdomen may not be that great. Your joints all become more flexible and loose. Falling over on steep and or slippery ground is not at all unlikely. It may all go really well, but what if it did not, how would you feel if you developed problems? It will take time to get to proper treatment facilities. What if you ended up with complications, such as a spontaneous abortion or if your baby was compromised in some other way. How would you feel?? You may never really know whether the walk was the cause or not, you would have to live with the consequence of having put yourself first.
I had a few drinks early in my pregnancy before I knew I was pregnant and my daughter who is now 17 was recently diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and dyslexia and has been through adolescent hell. I will never know whether these few stupid glasses of Gin caused the problem and I will have to live with this doubt for the rest of my life. If there is any way I could wind back the clock and not have those drinks, I would. Had I known I was pregnant I would never have done this and I did not drink at all from the time I had a positive pregnancy test. It just is not worth the risk. The Camino of course is not alcohol, but it is addictive in it's own way and can lead to other excesses, like walking beyond one's capacity, for example challenging terrain, weather conditions, heat, cold, wind, rain, snow, lack of food or water etc. From what I know of the Camino, I personally would not walk it as a pregnant woman. I don't know about you, but I had to really adjust to my maternal side. I was 38 when I had my daughter and had been a career woman and worked right up to when my daughter was born. In a way I missed out on the finer details of the experience. It is good to slow down and be still at this time. It is quite special. Hope you will find a way of making a decision that feels right for you. Warm regards, Gitti

Paula,

I also work in health care and waiting to get into a PA program here in the states. Gitti made some really good comments about walking while starting your second trimester. I guess the one thing I have not heard is what your OB/GYN has recommended? The walk can play havoc on your metabolism. During my first walk, I did not take in enough protein in my diet to maintain my blood protein levels that I formed edemas in my ankles and feet. My right foot swelled up so large that I could not fit into my hiking shoe. This time I have a fairly good idea on what I need to maintain my self for good health this Camino. Get as much information as you can before you start.

Buen Camino,

Michael

one of the more memorable groups we hosted as hospitaleros included:
Two tall hippie guys
A donkey
A dog
A miniature goat
And a woman 7 months pregnant.

The woman was a bundle of joy and energy, even after a day of climbing (we were at Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino.) The whole gang spent the night out in the garden.
That was five years ago. I wonder how that baby is turning out!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can imagine the delight of being pregnant and walking the Camino. You may have to make some accommodations, depending on how fit you are and how accustomed to walking you are. It may not be wise to begin a regime of new phyiscal activities when you are already pregnant, but if you have been a strong and active individual, it seems quite reasonable and delightful. How nice to bond with your mother and your baby.

Many years ago, my own doctor advised me that I could continue to ride horses during my pregnancy IF riding horses was a routine activity prior to pregnancy. I walked several miles (about 6-8) everyday during my pregnancy(s). My children wieghed 10 and 11 pounds respectively and delivery was quick and easy. In part due to my excellent physical condition.

Keep in mind, you do NOT have to carry your backpack and it might be wise not to. You can have your bag transported to your next destination. And you can elect to stop when you feel the need to. You set your own pace. Don't get drawn into a competitive attitude about covering so many miles each day. Enjoy a liesurely pace...you will be happier and more healthy. Consult a map, plan easy days and if need be, take a taxi or a bus.

The Camino experience can be wonderful and I envy you the oppoprtunity to walk with your mother and to carry your child within you on this amazing adventure.

Not everyone will agree with me on this topic, but that should come as no surprise. Make the choices that you can live with. Wishing you well...

"Ginn"

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back