• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in March/April 2018

Kevin Malinak

-kevin-
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, St Jean PdP, March 18 (2018)
Does anyone know how to find out what to expect for weather conditions, & temperatures to expect on CF in March April? (First Camino)
Is there a chart or website showing averages?
Anyone with personal experience?
We will arrive in Lourdes March 15, then to St. Jean PdP March 18, and probably start walking on March 19. We allowed for a LOT of time to walk. We want to take our time. Return flight from Santiego back to Paris will be May 1.
Thanks, -kevin-
Note: We were planning to hike the traditional Route Napoleon up over the top, but recently discovered it is not allowed till April 1, so we will apparently hike the lower route through Valcarlos. Thanks again.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is a little complicated because you are speaking about the weather along one month and 800 km, with mountains, etc.

In this web site you can find the weather forecast for any city or town for 14 days:
www.eltiempo.es

In this other web, introduce the city, choose history and season averages and you will find all the averages for that city (the link corresponds to Pamplona ).
https://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/...EPP&SafeCityName=LEPP&StateCode=NA&Units=none

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Every year is different, and the answer changes as you walk from the mountain climate to the Meseta climate to the Galician climate, they are all a bit different. Oh yeah, and you are starting in late winter, and ending in spring! Here is a climate summary. I can't tell you what the weather will be.

In the mountains, it will be cool, and likely windy. It could snow. Expect +5C in the morning, warming to +12 later in the day. Past Pamplona, it could still snow, but probably not. Expect +5C in the morning, and +15C later in the day. It will rain, but I'm not sure which days. On the Meseta, you may well have frost in the mornings, but it will likely get up to the high teens or low twenty's later in the day. The Meseta is a little drier on average. You may get lucky and get a sunburn. In Galicia, it will rain some more. You also have to cross the Pyrenees again, and we had lots of fog and cool temperatures with some days not much above +12C. By the time late April arrives in Santiago, mornings are +10C and the days were up into the low 20's. The Galician climate is a lot like the coastal PNW.

That time of year, have a good rain solution you trust. I'm a poncho guy, but you might like a jacket and pants. Think about your footwear in rain/mud conditions. For clothes, its layers. With everything you brought still packed in your pack, you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt for the +25C day you will have late in the walk under sunshine. That is your pack's max weight day. With the shorts in the pack, you are wearing everything else you brought in layers to be ready for the -3C morning with a brisk wind that you encountered on your first day out.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year we hit snow from Rabanal to El Acebo this was the last week of March. It was fierce , cold and blizzard conditions. Going up to OCebriero, beginning of April we hit snow, sleet and rain. Weather Suddenly got warm from Sarria on...unseasonably warm...till day after Easter, then temperatures dropped again. While the charts will give you averages my best advice is to layer your clothing! Be prepared for any conditions!

I travelled from Leon 1st week April 2107 and had no rain to speak of all the way to Santiago.1st time across the Pyrenes 2015 early April some snow on the ground but thereafter nothing.You take what'
s appropriate for winter walking at that time of year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone know how to find out what to expect for weather conditions, & temperatures to expect on CF in March April? (First Camino)
We will arrive in Lourdes April 15, then to St. Jean PdP March 18, and probably start on March 19.
Thanks, -kevin-
Note: We were planning to hike the traditional Route Napoleon up over the top, but recently discovered it is not allowed till April 1, so we will apparently hike the lower route through Valcarlos. Thanks again.
something wrong with your dates??

Started from SJPdP last year on 2 April. Really excellent advice above. My additional advice is to pack a lightweight pair of gloves as hands can get chilly especially in the mornings. Also bring some walking poles because they are fantastic for keeping you on your feet if walking through slippery mud or slushy snow.
You’ll love it. Fantastic time of the year to be walking and even more so because you will be on the camino for Semana Santa.
Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Je je ... at the end we pilgrims look like onions!!!

Yeah, I absolutely agree that the solution is layers!!

You have to be prepared to walk from -5 to 25, dry and raining. Most probably you will find all that range of temperature in a moment or another.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Be prepared for a lot of rain and some snow if you are walking the Camino Frances in March and April. At elevations over about 700 meters ASL, snow occurs through the end of May. I have seen snow at O'Cebriero in mid-May, and at Cruz de Ferro on three visits, also in mid-May. At the front end, the Napoleon Pass is officially closed through 31 March, and on a day-by-day basis from then. Plan on using the Valcarlos Route.

Also, while daily afternoon temperatures all along the Camino Frances may hit celsius double digits, like 14 - 16 degrees if the sun is out, assume that at 07:00 when you start out from your accommodations, the temperature will be in the LOW single digits, like 2 or 3 degrees. This goes all the way into May. In my experience, only the afternoon high temperatures vary. But the mornings all start the same...cold, frequently wet, and sometimes white...

Remember, Santiago ain't coming to you. Just waiting for things to warm up is not an option...It is part of the charm of the Camino.;)

Of course, you could walk in July and August when heat stroke and dehydration are the villains.:eek:

That is why layering your clothing is the solution. You start out wearing everything, then peel off layers as the temperatures and weather improve during the day. Keeping your torso, head, feet and hands warm is key to maintaining temperature.

DO NOT FORGET to bring a microfleece beanie / watch cap, and a pair of microfiber gloves. I find mine in my local Target store. Champion makes a brand for runners. But you can find similar anywear. NOTE: The local Target stores here in South Florida do not carry gloves. I buy them when I travel north, or online...

I recommend trying vendors who sell runner's clothing and gears. Don't spend a lot as you will lose these occasionally. I have. Find replacements in sporting stores along the way. My gloves are black but my cap is neon safety yellow.

Also, bring a sleeping bag. I have a very lightweight Sea to Summit down quilt. Here in Florida, and unzipped into a rectangular quilt, it does double duty on the handful of very cold nights (we do not have a heating furnace, only air conditioning). On Camino, I zip it into a tube. One end pulls closed with a toggle. NOTE: Depending on forecast weather, I will forego the sleeping bag in favor of a micro fleece rectangular liner with a full zipper. See: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags

Finally, many albergues and some hostals either do not provide enough heat, or give their systems a shot of heat about 21:00 before lights out, then again in the morning from 05:00 to 07:00 when pilgrims are up and about. It is common for there to be no heat overnight. this is why you take your shower soon after arrival and NOT in the morning. Use your fleece cap and gloves if your head sticking out of the sleeping bag is too cool.

Hope this all helps.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We will arrive in Lourdes March 15, then to St. Jean PdP March 18, and probably start walking on March 19. We allowed for a LOT of time to walk. We want to take our time. Return flight from Santiego back to Paris will be May 1.
Thanks, -kevin-
Hi Kevin. I walked the Camino the same time you are planning yours. Weather does vary as posted by other members. One suggestion for you. I also had to take theVia Valcarlos route because of the snow. I silently breathed a sigh of relief thinking I’d have an easy first day. WRONG!! Starts of as a leisurely stroll and quickly becomes considerably more challenging. Make sure you have water for the last 4 or 5 hours. No water fountains and it’s all uphill. The only fountain I found was undrinkable water. Not to alarm you but one lady suffered with dehydration and had to be taken out by ambulance attendants. The hike was challenging but do- able. But, please don’t forget your water. Other days you will find fountains regularly. You will have fun, I can assure you. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Hi Kevin. I walked the Camino the same time you are planning yours. Weather does vary as posted by other members. One suggestion for you. I also had to take theVia Valcarlos route because of the snow. I silently breathed a sigh of relief thinking I’d have an easy first day. WRONG!! Starts of as a leisurely stroll and quickly becomes considerably more challenging. Make sure you have water for the last 4 or 5 hours. No water fountains and it’s all uphill. The only fountain I found was undrinkable water. Not to alarm you but one lady suffered with dehydration and had to be taken out by ambulance attendants. The hike was challenging but do- able. But, please don’t forget your water. Other days you will find fountains regularly. You will have fun, I can assure you. Good luck and Buen Camino.

I remember that exact experience - the running out of water part on the Via Valcarlos. I remember the relief in getting to the fountain and then seeing that it was undrinkable. That was in August. I will never make that mistake again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, -kevin-

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked the Frances last year for almost the exact dates you are. I started in Ronscesvalles because I didn't want my walk to be over before I started (I'm not the fittest of specimens!). The first couple of weeks was grey and overcast with one day of constant rain that turned into snow. I couldn't find an open albergue and honestly thought I was going to die! Apart from this I hardly hit any rain for the whole walk, right until the end when it decided to rain as I entered Santiago. The meseta was the hardest stretch with sunny conditions and mid 20's temps. I realise this is nothing compared to summer but with no shade it still felt very hot. Overall, I was extremely lucky and only got my (inadequate) raincoat out on a handful of occasions. But this doesn't mean it will be the same this year! Speaking with the locals they said it was an unusually dry year for that period. Just make sure you take a good rain coat that also covers your pack. That will be the first thing I buy for my next walk. Buen Camino!

Thanks, -kevin-

Hi there Kevin,

I'm starting my first camino (Frances) in March as well. I arrive SJPdP March 15th, and start walking March 16th. I have a friend who walked it virtually the exact same dates in 2015. Some advice he have me was... mornings can be quite cool and you should definitely bring gloves...nothing too heavy though. He said the lowest the temperature he experienced was maybe 7 degrees celsius. It warmed up through the day. Of course it will be cooler at the higher altitudes on the first day of walking in the Pyrenees. He walked the Valcarlos route as well since of course, the Napoleon route doesn't open (and weather-permitting at that) until April 1st.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Buen Camino! :)

Jim

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you All for all of the great advice!!! As always the people of this community are so very helpful and knowledgeable. I have changed and reduced my pack contents because of all of you!!! Even better than that, I have reduced worries / increased confidence for my first Camino!!! You all are great, thanks again, -kevin-.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back