• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in May 2017

mfmarti2

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Well it's official! Flight is booked and I land in Paris on Sunday, May 7th. I have learned so much from this forum already and just wanted to make my first post to see if there was anyone else starting the camino around this time...?

My next step is to finalize how I will get from CDG to SJPDP. I am thinking a flight to either Biarritz or Bordeaux. A bus or train from there to Bayonne. And then a train from Bayonne to SJPDP. If there is any flaw in that logic, please let me know...

Thank you so much! and wooo! This is happening!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well it's official! Flight is booked and I land in Paris on Sunday, May 7th. I have learned so much from this forum already and just wanted to make my first post to see if there was anyone else starting the camino around this time...?

My next step is to finalize how I will get from CDG to SJPDP. I am thinking a flight to either Biarritz or Bordeaux. A bus or train from there to Bayonne. And then a train from Bayonne to SJPDP. If there is any flaw in that logic, please let me know...

I'm going from US around April 16th or 17th from Springfield, MO to Paris. I will take the train to Bayonne and then the local train to SJPDP. That seems to work best for me. Maybe spend the night in Bayonne or maybe SJPDP depending on arrival time. I'm not so concerned about planning ahead, just gonna do whatever works out. Exciting? YES! I'm traveling solo. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm going from US around April 16th or 17th from Springfield, MO to Paris. I will take the train to Bayonne and then the local train to SJPDP. That seems to work best for me. Maybe spend the night in Bayonne or maybe SJPDP depending on arrival time. I'm not so concerned about planning ahead, just gonna do whatever works out. Exciting? YES! I'm traveling solo. Buen Camino!

I may end up taking the train as well if I can't find a sooner/quicker flight. I am going with a friend and hope to get to SJPDP by end of day Sunday, stay the night there and start the camino on Monday. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might consider an extra night at St. Jean Pied de Port. The town is ancient, and very beautiful. There is enough to see for a full day's sightseeing. It is the sort of town that beckons you to explore it.

They have been equipping, supplying and sending pilgrims on their way over the Pyrenees for well of a thousand years. In particular, try to attend the nightly Pilgrim Mass at the Church at the bottom of Rue de Cittadelle, on the left, just before the old Roman gate / arch out of the town. All are welcome, regardless of religious persuasion or practice. It is very inspiring.

When I start from SJPdP, I fly into Paris (CDG), take the #4 route of Le Cars du Air France from the exit from baggage claim to Gare Montparnasse. There, one catches the TGV (bullet train) south to Bayonne. But, advance reservations are necessary as all seats on the TGV are reserved. Try www.raileurope.com.

At Bayonne, you connect from the TGV (on the same single track), arriving about 17:30, to the #62 regional train to St. Jean Pied de Port. As this is also the end of the line for the regional line, you cannot get lost. Just follow all the other pilgrims heading into town from the SJPdP station. It IS the same one as in the movie "The Way."

If the TGV is delayed arriving at Bayonne, the practice is to hold the #62 train so the anticipated passengers headed to SJPdP can be accommodated. The train leaving Bayonne about 18:00 is the last train of the day.

At SJPdP, I prefer to have advance reservations in a proper hotel. I favor the Hotel Ramuntcho, on the corner of Rue de France and Rue de Cittadelle. There are other alternatives that are as nice. My preference is just that, my preference. It is centrally located, convenient and very pleasant. Use www.booking.com.

Personally, I find that sleeping two nights in a proper bed with normal meals, before heading out on Camino is both relaxing and civilizing. It also helps deal with any lingering jet lag. I recommend against arriving at 19:30, then walking out of SJPdP the next morning. But, each person does his or her own Camino. THAT is Camino Rule One. One NEVER judges another person's Camino.

Also, if you want to send a suitcase (rolling bag) with tourist clothes, etc. ahead to Santiago, you can contact http://www.expressbourricot.com/. The owner, Caroline, speaks English quite well and their service is both reliable and safe. It is not cheap, but I think the convenience is worth it. Send souvenirs you bought in SJPdP and anything you do not need on Camino in that one bag. Their website has all the information you need.

Express Bourricot picks up your suitcase from your hotel the morning you depart on Camino, usually after you depart. A month or so later, the bag will be waiting for you in the locked baggage room of a partner hotel in Santiago. This is very convenient if you are traveling onwards after your Camino.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
That's more likely my start date as well. See you there :)
Welcome to both of you to the Forum! And, you're meeting up is just one of many bennies of membership among our august number. Please keep us informed as you walk the Way. If you haven't done already, consider breaking the first day in half by stopping at the Refuge Orisson:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
May is a very nice time of year and also very busy...book early!
The view is fantastic on the deck, the communal supper to die for and another great opportunity to meet other pilgrims; many of which are probably Forum members.
Buen Camino,
Arn

Welcome to both of you to the Forum! And, you're meeting up is just one of many bennies of membership among our august number. Please keep us informed as you walk the Way. If you haven't done already, consider breaking the first day in half by stopping at the Refuge Orisson:
The view is fantastic on the deck, the communal supper to die for and another great opportunity to meet other pilgrims; many of which are probably Forum members.
Buen Camino,
Arn
Thank you Arn!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2013 I flew to Paris CDG and took the train from the CDG airport station to SJPdP, with stops and train changes in Bourdeaux and Bayonne. It was nice, but an all day journey. If I were to go the Paris route again I think I would probably fly to Biarritz/Bayonne and then take the train down to SJPdP. I think it would definitely be less expensive, and quicker. The walk from the small train station down to the main part of SJPdP is not far. Takes about 5-10 minutes.
It all depends on your budget, schedule/time constraints, etc. You definitely want to rest up a bit before you start your walk to shake off the jet lag.
Whichever method you take to get to SJPdP, definitely make advance accommodation reservations there before you go.

You might consider an extra night at St. Jean Pied de Port. The town is ancient, and very beautiful. There is enough to see for a full day's sightseeing. It is the sort of town that beckons you to explore it.

They have been equipping, supplying and sending pilgrims on their way over the Pyrenees for well of a thousand years. In particular, try to attend the nightly Pilgrim Mass at the Church at the bottom of Rue de Cittadelle, on the left, just before the old Roman gate / arch out of the town. All are welcome, regardless of religious persuasion or practice. It is very inspiring.

When I start from SJPdP, I fly into Paris (CDG), take the #4 route of Le Cars du Air France from the exit from baggage claim to Gare Montparnasse. There, one catches the TGV (bullet train) south to Bayonne. But, advance reservations are necessary as all seats on the TGV are reserved. Try www.raileurope.com.

At Bayonne, you connect from the TGV (on the same single track), arriving about 17:30, to the #62 regional train to St. Jean Pied de Port. As this is also the end of the line for the regional line, you cannot get lost. Just follow all the other pilgrims heading into town from the SJPdP station. It IS the same one as in the movie "The Way."

If the TGV is delayed arriving at Bayonne, the practice is to hold the #62 train so the anticipated passengers headed to SJPdP can be accommodated. The train leaving Bayonne about 18:00 is the last train of the day.

At SJPdP, I prefer to have advance reservations in a proper hotel. I favor the Hotel Ramuntcho, on the corner of Rue de France and Rue de Cittadelle. There are other alternatives that are as nice. My preference is just that, my preference. It is centrally located, convenience and very pleasant. Use www.booking.com.

Personally, I find that sleeping two nights in a proper bed with normal meals, before heading out on Camino is both relaxing and civilizing. It also helps deal with any lingering jet lag. I recommend against arriving at 19:30, then walking out of SJPdP the next morning. But, each person does his or her own Camino. THAT is Camino Rule One. One NEVER judges another person's Camino.

Also, if you want to send a suitcase (rolling bag) with tourist clothes, etc. ahead to Santiago, you can contact http://www.expressbourricot.com/. The owner, Caroline, speaks English quite well and their service is both reliable and safe. It is not cheap, but I think the convenience is worth it. Send souvenirs you bought in SJPdP and anything you do not need on Camino in that one bag. Teh website has all the information you need.

Express Bourricot picks up you suitcase from your hotel the morning you depart on Camino, usually after you depart. A month or so later, the bag will be waiting for you in the locked baggage room of a partner hotel in Santiago. This is very convenient if you are traveling onwards after your Camino.

I hope this helps.

WOW! @t2andreo SO much good information here! I really appreciate your detailed response!

Question... I read that you can take a train from CDG to Bayonne. What is the #4 Le Cars du Air France to Gare Montparnasse?

@thirdfencepost and I are on a bit of a time constraint because we only have a month and have already come to terms with the realization that we will not be able to walk the whole thing. So we did not consider staying a night in SJPDP but you are right, it may be necessary and would be a great place to see!

€83,-
Buen Camino,
Arn

Thank you @Arn! @thirdfencepost and I are going to try to plan as little as possible so we may stop in Orisson depending on how we feel. What is the likelihood of getting a bed on the Camino in May without booking first? It is our preference to not book ahead...

In 2013 I flew to Paris CDG and took the train from the CDG airport station to SJPdP, with stops and train changes in Bourdeaux and Bayonne. It was nice, but an all day journey. If I were to go the Paris route again I think I would probably fly to Biarritz/Bayonne and then take the train down to SJPdP. I think it would definitely be less expensive, and quicker. The walk from the small train station down to the main part of SJPdP is not far. Takes about 5-10 minutes.
It all depends on your budget, schedule/time constraints, etc. You definitely want to rest up a bit before you start your walk to shake off the jet lag.
Whichever method you take to get to SJPdP, definitely make advance accommodation reservations there before you go.

Thank you @Mark Lee! @thirdfencepost and I haven't decided how we will get to SJPDP yet but I had the same thought as you about flying to Biarritz. But as of right now we land in Paris at 8:45am and the best flight out isn't until 2:40pm, arriving in Biarritz at 4:05pm. Alternatively, a train leaving Paris in the morning-although a longer trip-could have us in Bayonne around the same time or not much later. (plus @thirdfencepost said she would enjoy a train ride :) ) Ultimately we will have to wait until closer to May to view the train schedules and make our decision but we are open to whatever.

We are trying to plan as little as possible, so we weren't planning on having a reservation in SJPDP. I read that the pilgrim office can help you with that once you arrive... What are your thoughts on this?

Hi, My first few Caminos I didn't book ahead. I've learned that booking ahead every 18-20 km is a good deal. I don't have to rush. I can stay where I know/like the people and area. Most Camino municipal albergues are located about 20-25 km. I try to stop in at a hostel or pension every five days, or so. This gives me an opportunity to rest and recharge before heading out. In SJPDP, if you are early you can easily get accommodation. I suggest you break the uphill into two and stop at Refuge Orisson. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
Great way to start your Camino.
Buen Camino
Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you @Mark Lee! @thirdfencepost and I haven't decided how we will get to SJPDP yet but I had the same thought as you about flying to Biarritz. But as of right now we land in Paris at 8:45am and the best flight out isn't until 2:40pm, arriving in Biarritz at 4:05pm. Alternatively, a train leaving Paris in the morning-although a longer trip-could have us in Bayonne around the same time or not much later. (plus @thirdfencepost said she would enjoy a train ride :) ) Ultimately we will have to wait until closer to May to view the train schedules and make our decision but we are open to whatever.

We are trying to plan as little as possible, so we weren't planning on having a reservation in SJPDP. I read that the pilgrim office can help you with that once you arrive... What are your thoughts on this?
It all depends on what time you arrive in SJPdP and how many pilgrims are in town. The pilgrim's office (which is staffed by some really cool volunteers) will help you, but that is if there is still room at the inn, so to speak. The municipal albergue is very close to the office, but could fill up quite quickly. It could be a dice roll if you don't make arrangements beforehand. I've done it both ways, and always found somewhere to stay, but if I were to arrive late in the afternoon during one of the more popular months I'd probably make reservations at a private albergue.

WOW! @t2andreo SO much good information here! I really appreciate your detailed response!

Question... I read that you can take a train from CDG to Bayonne. What is the #4 Le Cars du Air France to Gare Montparnasse?

@thirdfencepost and I are on a bit of a time constraint because we only have a month and have already come to terms with the realization that we will not be able to walk the whole thing. So we did not consider staying a night in SJPDP but you are right, it may be necessary and would be a great place to see!
Due to time restrictions, maybe start in Pamplona instead of SJPdP? A lot of pilgrims do that option.

From CDG, you can take the RER to a station very close to Gare Montparnasse and then walk the few blocks to the train station. There are numerous TGV trains each day which go south from Paris to and through Bayonne, and from there you can take either a local train, bus or taxi to SJPdP. The really great advantage of taking the train is that the ride to Bayonne is around 6 hours and this will afford you plenty of time to sleep, because as Mark Lee mentioned, day one on the Camino is strenuous enough even without the inevitable jet lag. One more thing. Are you planning to get your credential at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP, or will you acquire it from the American confraternity? You will need the credential to sleep in the Albergues along the way, so if you choose to pick it up in SJPdP, make sure you understand their hours of operation on Sunday, or you might have to wait for them to open on Monday before you begin your walk.
You will have plenty of fun and excitement as you further plan your trip and as it gets closer to reality! Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, My first few Caminos I didn't book ahead. I've learned that booking ahead every 18-20 km is a good deal. I don't have to rush. I can stay where I know/like the people and area. Most Camino municipal albergues are located about 20-25 km. I try to stop in at a hostel or pension every five days, or so. This gives me an opportunity to rest and recharge before heading out. In SJPDP, if you are early you can easily get accommodation. I suggest you break the uphill into two and stop at Refuge Orisson. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
Great way to start your Camino.
Buen Camino
Arn

Thank you @Arn! We had discussed staying in a hostel or hotel instead of an albergue every so often, I like that idea. If we can make it all the way to Roncesvalles I'd prefer to do that, but we are not planning each step so if we need/can stop in Orisson we will.

It all depends on what time you arrive in SJPdP and how many pilgrims are in town. The pilgrim's office (which is staffed by some really cool volunteers) will help you, but that is if there is still room at the inn, so to speak. The municipal albergue is very close to the office, but could fill up quite quickly. It could be a dice roll if you don't make arrangements beforehand. I've done it both ways, and always found somewhere to stay, but if I were to arrive late in the afternoon during one of the more popular months I'd probably make reservations at a private albergue.

Ok, are reservations required at private albergues?

Ok, are reservations required at private albergues?
No, not at all and as you walk the Camino you will encounter some towns with multiple private albergues. Like I said before it can be hit or miss on how busy pilgrim wise a particular town can be. I stayed in quite a few private albergues with lots of empty beds during the popular walking months. A few times I stayed in albergues where there was only 2-3 of us staying in the whole place. If you have the ability to do so, sometimes it is nice to make advance reservations at a private albergue or pensiones. You know you definitely got a bed when you get to town.
Municipal albergues don't take reservations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Due to time restrictions, maybe start in Pamplona instead of SJPdP? A lot of pilgrims do that option.
From CDG, you can take the RER to a station very close to Gare Montparnasse and then walk the few blocks to the train station. There are numerous TGV trains each day which go south from Paris to and through Bayonne, and from there you can take either a local train, bus or taxi to SJPdP. The really great advantage of taking the train is that the ride to Bayonne is around 6 hours and this will afford you plenty of time to sleep, because as Mark Lee mentioned, day one on the Camino is strenuous enough even without the inevitable jet lag. One more thing. Are you planning to get your credential at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP, or will you acquire it from the American confraternity? You will need the credential to sleep in the Albergues along the way, so if you choose to pick it up in SJPdP, make sure you understand their hours of operation on Sunday, or you might have to wait for them to open on Monday before you begin your walk.
You will have plenty of fun and excitement as you further plan your trip and as it gets closer to reality! Buen Camino!

Thank you for the info @PloddingAlong. Some questions...

What is the RER? Why not just take a train from CDG? Do you think there will be more options at another station, like Gare Montparnasse?

Excellent point about sleeping on the train. At this point it doesn't look like we can get there much sooner with the flights that are available so sleeping on a train wouldn't be half bad. Especially since I tend to get pretty jet lagged flying to Europe.

The current, not at all set in stone, plan is to arrive in SJPdP Sunday evening and get the credential there. Once we have an actual plan though and know the exact time we will get to SJPdP we will keep the Pilgrim Office hours in mind and get the credential at the American Confraternity instead if necessary. Thank you for pointing this out!

No, not at all and as you walk the Camino you will encounter some towns with multiple private albergues. Like I said before it can be hit or miss on how busy pilgrim wise a particular town can be. I stayed in quite a few private albergues with lots of empty beds during the popular walking months. A few times I stayed in albergues where there was only 2-3 of us staying in the whole place. If you have the ability to do so, sometimes it is nice to make advance reservations at a private albergue or pensiones. You know you definitely got a bed when you get to town.
Municipal albergues don't take reservations.

Thanks @Mark Lee. I like the idea of planning to stay in a municipal albergue and then if it's full, try for one of the private ones and if that's full hopefully there is a hostel/pension/hotel with some space. I am ok with gambling a bit on this as long as there is a bed somewhere in town :p

Thanks @Mark Lee. I like the idea of planning to stay in a municipal albergue and then if it's full, try for one of the private ones and if that's full hopefully there is a hostel/pension/hotel with some space. I am ok with gambling a bit on this as long as there is a bed somewhere in town :p
One place for sure I recommend getting advance reservations at is Santiago. It can get quite filled up with both pilgrims and regular tourists. Popular place.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you @Arn! We had discussed staying in a hostel or hotel instead of an albergue every so often, I like that idea. If we can make it all the way to Roncesvalles I'd prefer to do that, but we are not planning each step so if we need/can stop in Orisson we will.
I have no doubt you can make it all the way. That said, this is the first major challenge for your legs and feet. Consequently, if you push too hard on this stage you may find that by about the time you get to Pamplona your body is very unhappy...if not injured. In addition, should you find that after you pass Orisson and you believe yourself committed, should you develop a blister, a twist in an ankle or knee, you may press on to Roncevalles further injuring yourself, just my two cents.

One place for sure I recommend getting advance reservations at is Santiago. It can get quite filled up with both pilgrims and regular tourists. Popular place.

Will do @Mark Lee! What's your favorite albergue in Santiago? I stayed in Roots&Boots on Rua Campo do Cruceiro do Gaio the last time I was there. I seem to remember an old seminary or something that was turned into an albergue. Do you know if it's a good one?

I have no doubt you can make it all the way. That said, this is the first major challenge for your legs and feet. Consequently, if you push too hard on this stage you may find that by about the time you get to Pamplona your body is very unhappy...if not injured. In addition, should you find that after you pass Orisson and you believe yourself committed, should you develop a blister, a twist in an ankle or knee, you may press on to Roncevalles further injuring yourself, just my two cents.

Duly noted! Thank you so much @Arn! I am really grateful for your advice!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Will do @Mark Lee! What's your favorite albergue in Santiago? I stayed in Roots&Boots on Rua Campo do Cruceiro do Gaio the last time I was there. I seem to remember an old seminary or something that was turned into an albergue. Do you know if it's a good one?
I always treated myself to a pensiones the first night while I was there for a job well done, ha ha, but did end up also staying at a private albergue a couple of times, The Last Stamp (El Ultimo Sello) which is very close to the Cathedral.
I think the albergue you are talking about is the Albergue Seminario Menor. I never stayed there, but I have heard of it before.
I have also heard a good place to stay is Hospedaria San Martin Pinario ( http://www.sanmartinpinario.eu/ ), a converted monastery. Never stayed there as well, but I've only heard good things about it.

Perfect logic. I actually fly into madrid on May 7th, fly to biarritz on the same morning and will be in sjjp by 5pm. Right now am thinking to go to Orrison that night, but we'll see. Hope to see you there. This will be my third camino and Biarritz is the easiest route to sjjp. Last time i was in a hurry, so took a cab from biarritz to bayonne, but still better than riding a long bus from pamplona. Flights from madrid or london are less than 100.

Thank you for the info @PloddingAlong. Some questions...

What is the RER? Why not just take a train from CDG? Do you think there will be more options at another station, like Gare Montparnasse?

Excellent point about sleeping on the train. At this point it doesn't look like we can get there much sooner with the flights that are available so sleeping on a train wouldn't be half bad. Especially since I tend to get pretty jet lagged flying to Europe.

The current, not at all set in stone, plan is to arrive in SJPdP Sunday evening and get the credential there. Once we have an actual plan though and know the exact time we will get to SJPdP we will keep the Pilgrim Office hours in mind and get the credential at the American Confraternity instead if necessary. Thank you for pointing this out!
I am not aware of a train which goes from CDG south to Bayonne. There are a number of train stations in Paris and each has trains which go to a geographic area of France. South toward Aquitaine and Bayonne along the coast is from Gare Montparnasse. To get to that train station from CDG the fastest and cheapest way, you can take the RER B. It is a suburban light rail which travels through Paris along subway lines. You'll see signs for it from each of the airport terminals and you can get a ticket from the automated terminals or from the ticket booth - both are in the airport (around 10 Euros). Have a look at the url: http://www.still-in-paris.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/complete-paris-metro-map.jpg It looks complicated, right? It's not. The RER B is the navy blue coloured line in the centre of the map. :) CDG is at the top of the map. If you get off at Denfert-Roshereau, you can either walk or get on the subway for a couple of stops directly to Montparnasse. Personally, I've walked from that station to Montparnasse. It's important to have a good sense of direction if you do, though! ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always treated myself to a pensiones the first night while I was there for a job well done, ha ha, but did end up also staying at a private albergue a couple of times, The Last Stamp (El Ultimo Sello) which is very close to the Cathedral.
I think the albergue you are talking about is the Albergue Seminario Menor. I never stayed there, but I have heard of it before.
I have also heard a good place to stay is Hospedaria San Martin Pinario ( http://www.sanmartinpinario.eu/ ), a converted monastery. Never stayed there as well, but I've only heard good things about it.
The Albergue Seminario Menor is actually a lovely gem of a place! It's large, very clean, has plenty of facilities, and private rooms are available! And it is located a short scenic walk from the Cathedral! I have stayed here and can heartily recommend staying. In fact, you can stay for two nights if you want!

Perfect logic. I actually fly into madrid on May 7th, fly to biarritz on the same morning and will be in sjjp by 5pm. Right now am thinking to go to Orrison that night, but we'll see. Hope to see you there. This will be my third camino and Biarritz is the easiest route to sjjp. Last time i was in a hurry, so took a cab from biarritz to bayonne, but still better than riding a long bus from pamplona. Flights from madrid or london are less than 100.

@adam lapp maybe we will see each other! At the moment I'm not seeing great combinations (plane/train/bus) that will get us from Paris to SJPdP before 5pm; probably closer to 6:30 or 7pm. Which I'm not thrilled about since we land in Paris at 8:45am. But I'm holding out for better options as the time gets closer...

I am not aware of a train which goes from CDG south to Bayonne. There are a number of train stations in Paris and each has trains which go to a geographic area of France. South toward Aquitaine and Bayonne along the coast is from Gare Montparnasse. To get to that train station from CDG the fastest and cheapest way, you can take the RER B. It is a suburban light rail which travels through Paris along subway lines. You'll see signs for it from each of the airport terminals and you can get a ticket from the automated terminals or from the ticket booth - both are in the airport (around 10 Euros). Have a look at the url: http://www.still-in-paris.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/complete-paris-metro-map.jpg It looks complicated, right? It's not. The RER B is the navy blue coloured line in the centre of the map. :) CDG is at the top of the map. If you get off at Denfert-Roshereau, you can either walk or get on the subway for a couple of stops directly to Montparnasse. Personally, I've walked from that station to Montparnasse. It's important to have a good sense of direction if you do, though! ;)

@PloddingAlong invaluable information! Thank you! And thank you for the link!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took the train from the CDG airport station ( Gare Aeroport CDG 2TGV) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aéroport_Charles_de_Gaulle_2_TGV) all the way to SJPdP back in 2013, with stops and train changes in Bordeaux and Bayonne. I bought the tickets that morning at the station. Kinda expensive.
Here's a photo of the CDG station I took that morning.
El Camino 1 004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't be able to get into Orisson that late.

CORRECTION TO MY PREVIOUS POST:

Les Cars du Air France has changed it's name to "Les Bus - Direct" (the direct bus). You still want route or line #4. Here is the link to this page on the CDG airport website:

http://www.parisaeroport.fr/passagers/acces/paris-charles-de-gaulle/transports-en-commun

Click on the link "The Direct Bus Line 4" to expand the link for additional information. On several trips, I found this to be the most convenient method of transfer.

Another member responded above, and noted correctly that you CAN take an RER (regional) train from CDG to Gare Montparnasse. However, here is why I (personally) do NOT do this.

The RER train station is attached to Terminal 2 - the Air France terminal. If you come into Terminal #1 on another airline, for example, you have to first take a shuttle bus to Terminal #2 after claiming your luggage. This takes time, knowledge of French, ability to find, read and follow signage, and a fair amount of patience. Once you get to the train station, you have to deal with that, and your rucksack and luggage you might have. You have to carry your gear the entire way from Terminal #1 to the train station shuttle.

Conversely, if you use the "Les Bus - Direct" bus connection to Gare Montparnasse, the bus stops, like every 30 minutes, directly outside the baggage claim belts in Terminal #1, and on the same level if I recall correctly. You can use a free baggage cart to facilitate transferring your rucksack and luggage to the shuttle bus cargo compartment. The bus ride takes about an hour to 90 minutes. The bus drops you directly at Gare Montparnasse.

I have found that the overall baggage belt to train platform time is slightly faster on the bus connection, depending on the luck you have making connections. Generally, the fewer connections involved, the faster the transit time can be.

If you take the bus, there is less unassisted lugging of baggage and opportunities to get lost or miss a connection. Once you get from airport baggage belt to the shuttle bus (about 50 meters), you are home free. At the train station, you just need to tote your luggage and rucksack to the correct platform / perron to meet your train to Bayonne.

Remember, you MUST have an advance ticket AND SEAT RESERVATION for any TGV train. So, when you arrive at Gare Montparnasse, you need only to find the correct platform and likely position of your carriage / voiture / car (there are diagrams showing the numbered placement of the train cars along the platform - USE THEM).

Position your luggage and self near to where your reserved car / voiture and seat will likely be. This will help you get on the train and claim scarce luggage storage space quicker. There is overhead luggage storage similar to airplane. But this space goes FAST. Additional stacking space is available at the ends of the car. But watching your stuff here is more problematic.

If there are small yellow or orange boxes on stanchions near the terminal end of the trains station platform, use it to stamp your outward ticket to "validate it." There are nuisance fines for failing to do so before getting on the train.

I hope this clarifies and helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you even THINK you might like to stay at Refuge Orisson, YOU MUST BOOK IN ADVANCE. They are closed for the winter and do not reply quickly to e-mail. But, if you contact them, they will eventually reply. I recall that their responses and bookings are made on a FIFO (first in first out) basis. So, get in line. Contact them and book early. Get confirmation, and reconfirm before you leave your home to start your travels over.

BTW, Orisson is not a village or hamlet. It is an albergue in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing else there.

The main building is stone and has several bunk rooms. In the movie "The Way" Tom has lunch on one of their picnic tables in one scene, out of chronological order I might add. I believe they also have smaller, more private rooms for reservation. You need to check their web site and ASK.

Here is their web site: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

They first fill their main building sleeping areas, above the communal dining room and bar. Second, they house pilgrims in the "bunk house" across the road under the fabulous deck / dining and drinking area with the million dollar views. Lastly, the johnnie-come-lately folks are "housed" in a series of tents out back (NOT DESIREABLE).

This is a private albergue. The food is plain but very good and plentiful. Their bread is to die for... The proprietors are very friendly and helpful. English is spoken. The dinner company is great.

Also, here you will likely form your "Camino Family" for the next month or so of walking. These are the folks you will see daily, or on and off over the next month. They will be your friends and "go to" resources when you need it. Use the opportunity to make life-long friendships over a family-style meal. It is amazing to meet people literally from all over the world your first night out. This event usually frames the theme for your entire Camino.

Breakfast is typically light but the coffee is very good. Also, after walking that first 8 Km UP, a cold beer or a glass of vin rouge (you are still in France) tastes wonderful on the observation deck. The fabulous views on a clear day cannot be understated. In fact, residents in SJPdP drive here for lunches on the deck to take in the landmark views.

The showers are clean but use "jetons" (tokens) for five-minutes of hot water. BE PREPARED! Lay out your shower stuff BEFORE dropping the jeton, as the water starts right away. Wear flip-flops to prevent picking up a foot fungus your first night out. Get wet, lather, rinse, and get out.

Do not worry about clothes washing on this first night out, There are FAR SUPERIOR facilities for washing and drying at the Dutch-run albergue in Roncesvalles.

Just FYI, once you depart Orisson the following morning, you walk slightly up for about two kilometers, then turn right to head for the Spanish frontier. Once into Spain, the remainder of the day's 18 km stretch from Orisson undulates up and down, but nowhere near as steep as the first 8 km from SJPdP. That is the single most vertical ascent on the entire Camino Frances.

As it is the first day out, it also claims a lot of faint hearts who come to realize that this is NOT the same as in the movie... That is why stopping at Orisson is such a good idea. Leaving SJPdP, you KNOW that you only have 2.5 to 3 hours to walk until you can stop for the day.

There is another 12 percent grade climb just after Castrojeriz. But that is at stage 15 in the Brierley Guide and you have likely been walking for over two weeks. By then, and absent an injury, you should have no problem with this steep ascent. I walked it while picking up trash as a Ditch Pig this past November. It is not as steep as it seems. Just take your time.

Also, when confronted by the proverbial "fork in the road" on the way down into Roncesvalles, there is a sign post, I recommend turning right and taking the old road down. Proceeding straight on at the signpost takes you directly down into the forest. The road is serpentine but scenic. Traffic is nil. It is slightly longer but avoids the mud, snow and accumulated water on the forest path if you proceed straight. In April and May this is an issue. In August, maybe not so much.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I took the train from the CDG airport station ( Gare Aeroport CDG 2TGV) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aéroport_Charles_de_Gaulle_2_TGV) all the way to SJPdP back in 2013, with stops and train changes in Bordeaux and Bayonne. I bought the tickets that morning at the station. Kinda expensive.
Here's a photo of the CDG station I took that morning.
View attachment 31135
I had no idea there were trains to Bayonne leaving from CDG! Good to know...for next time! Thanks Mark!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had no idea there were trains to Bayonne leaving from CDG! Good to know...for next time! Thanks Mark!
It seemed pretty easy to me when I took the train from there and I do not parlez vous Francais. I just found out where it was, took a shuttle to that terminal, bought train tickets, waited for train, boarded train and headed south.

This post discusses travel from Paris to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Caveat. I do not have first hand knowledge of most of the information presented here. The material in this thread was researched using web resources that may be out of date. Information may be incomplete or incorrect. The information presented here is not exhaustive. You are advised to confirm your own travel details.

Paris

2101 This section discusses transportation services in Paris.

Index 2100
2102 Paris Airports
2103 Getting around in Paris
2104 Charles de Gaulle Airport to Orly Airport
2105 Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare d'Austerlitz
2106 Charles de Gaulle Airport to TGV Massy
2107 Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare Montparnasse
2120 Trains in France
2121 Paris Train Stations
2125 Paris to London by Eurostar
2135 Paris to Barcelona by train
2150 Paris to Saint Jean Pied de Port

2102 Paris Airports

Paris has two major airports. Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) is known as Roissy and is located NE of Paris. Orly Airport (ORY) is located to the South of Paris.

CDG and Orly:
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/

2103 Getting around in Paris

Paris Transit Network
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk

Paris RER/Metro route planner - SNCF Transilien
http://www.transilien.com/itineraire/rechercheitineraire/init

RER B - Paris
http://parisbytrain.com/rer-b/

Paris Metro Line 4
http://www.paris-metro-map.info/paris-metro-line-4-map/

Le Bus Direct (formerly Air France) Shuttle Bus with service from CDG to Orly airport (#3) and to Gare Montparnasse (#4)
http://en.lebusdirect.com/

Easybus with low price service from CDG to Paris Center where you can access the Metro
http://www.easybus.co.uk/en/paris-cdg-airport

2104 Charles de Gaulle Airport to Orly Airport

There are two transit options from CDG Airport to Orly Airport.

a. RER Line B (destination B4 Saint Remy les Chevreuse) from CDG airport to Station Antony. Take Orly Val (name of train) from Station Antony to Orly airport Terminal Sud and Terminal Ouest. Allow 1:30 hours.

b. Le Bus Direct bus from CDG airport direct to Paris Orly airport. Allow 1:15 hours.

2105 CDG Airport to Gare d'Austerlitz

RER Line B (destination B4 Saint Remy les Chevreuse) from CDG airport to Saint Michel Notre Dame RER station. Take RER line C from Saint Michel Notre Dame to Gare Austerlitz. Allow 1 hour.

2106 CDG Airport to TGV Massy

RER Line B (destination B4 Saint Remy les Chevreuse) from CDG airport to Massy-Palaiseau RER station. The Massy TGV station is located next to the RER station.

2107 CDG Airport to Gare Montparnasse

There are two transit options from CDG airport to Gare Montparnasse:

a. RER Line B (destination B2 Robinson or B4 Saint Remy les Chevreuse) from CDG airport to Gare du Nord. Paris Metro Line 4 from Gare du Nord to Metro Station Montparnasse Bienvenue. Allow 1:00 hour. Allow an additional 15 minutes to walk from the Metro station to Gare Montparnasse.

~Note there are 3 points where it is possible to transfer from RER B to Metro line 4. A transfer at St Michel may be preferable as Gare du Nord is a large station and will require orientation time.

b. Le Bus Direct operates a bus service from CDG direct to Gare Montparnasse. Allow 1:15 hours.

2120 Trains in France

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

SNCF - train schedule and tickets:
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/horaires

SNCF TER
http://www.ter-sncf.com/

SNCF Railway Map
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-map/sncf-map-large.htm

2121 Paris Train Stations

Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Terminal 2 train station
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frmlw/accueil/

Gare de Massy TGV
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frdju/accueil/

Note in additon to CDG 2 and Massy there are 6 major train stations in Paris:

Paris Gare d'Austerlitz
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frpaz/accueil/

Gare Paris Bercy
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frpbe/accueil/

Gare Paris Est
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frpst/accueil/

Paris Gare de Lyon
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frply/accueil/

Paris Gare Montparnasse
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frpmo/accueil/

Paris Gare Montparnasse Map
http://www.railteam.eu/en/files/2011/11/MAP_Paris-Montparnasse_En.pdf

Paris Gare du Nord.
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frpno/accueil/

Map of TGV train network in Paris:
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-trains/images/tgv-map-paris.jpg

2125. Paris to London by Eurostar

Eurostar trains operate between Paris Gare du Nord and London St Pancras International Station
http://www.eurostar.com

2135 Paris to Barcelona by Train

SNCF and Renfe operate high speed trains between Paris Gare de Lyon and Barcelona Sants.

2150 Paris to Saint Jean Pied de Port

2151 This section discusses how to get from Paris to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Index 2150
2152 Executive Summary
2153 Fly from Paris to Biarritz and train to SJPdP
2154 Train from Paris to SJPdP
2155 Train stations between Paris and Bayonne
2156 Saint Jean Pied de Port
2157 Author's Pick

2152 Executive Summary

There are at least two viable options for getting from Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) airport to Saint Jean Pied de Port (SJPdP):

a. Fly from Paris to Biarritz and take the train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

b. Take the train from Paris to Bayonne and transfer to another train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Stations in Paris with trains to Bayonne include: CDG 2, Gare d'Austerlitz, Gare Montparnasse, and Gare Massy.

Note: The tracks between Bayonne and SJPdP got washed out in Spring 2014 and repaired in November 2015.

2153 ~Option 1 Fly from Paris to Biarritz and train to SJPdP

a. Fly from Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) to Biarritz Airport (BIQ). Air France and Easy Jet provides service; or,

b. Fly from Paris Orly Airport (ORY) to Biarritz Airport (BIQ) Air France provides service.

The Chronoplus urban bus #14 leaves from the doors of Biarritz Airport and goes to Gare de Bayonne. Allow 40 minutes.

The SNCF TER train #62 travels from Bayonne to terminus at SJPdP. Sometimes the train goes from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains. Passengers to SJPdP then transfer to an SNCF operated bus at Cambo les Bains. Sometimes the entire route is serviced by a bus.

Biarritz Airport (BIQ)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

SNCF TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/fr/Default.aspx

2154 ~Option 2 - Train from Paris to SJPdP

TGV trains travel towards Bayonne from three train stations in Paris:

a. There is a TGV station located at Charles de Gaulle Airport Terminal 2.

b. There is a TGV station located at Gare Montparnasse in central Paris. There is greater frequency of service from Gare Montparnasse than from CDG 2.

c. TGV trains from CDG 2 stop at Gare Massy.

SNCF TGV trains leave from Paris enroute to Bordeaux or Irun. Often there is a transfer required at Bordeaux. TGV trains from Bordeaux terminate in Irun. TER trains from Bordeaux terminate in Pau or Hendaye. If your train is bound for Pau another transfer is required at Dax. Trains bound for Hendaye or Irun stop in Bayonne.

SNCF Intercites night trains travel from Paris Gare d'Austerlitz to Hendaye and stop in Bayonne.

SNCF TER train #62 travels from Gare Bayonne to terminus at SJPdP. Sometimes the train goes from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains. Passengers to SJPdP then transfer to an SNCF operated bus at Cambo les Bains. Sometimes the entire route is serviced by a bus.

You will get limited results if you try to find a schedule for a train from Paris to SJPdP. I'd suggest planning your trip from Paris to Bayonne then Bayonne to SJPdP.

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

SNCF TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/fr/Default.aspx

2155 Train Stations between Paris and Bayonne

Gare Bordeaux - Saint Jean (Saint Jean is name of main station in Bordeaux)
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/en/frboj/accueil/

Gare Bordeaux - Saint Jean according to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bordeaux-Saint-Jean

Gare de Dax
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/fracg/accueil/

Gare de Bayonne
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frxby/accueil/

2156 Saint Jean Pied de Port

Saint Jean Pied de Port
http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/default.aspx

2157 Author's pick

If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Paris I would:

a. Determine if it was cost effective and time effective to fly from Paris to Biarritz. Time effective means arriving in time to catch a train from Bayonne to SJPdP on the same day.

b. If arriving at CDG and taking the train is the better option ... take the train from CDG 2 if the schedule is viable.

c. If CDG 2 schedule doesn't work ... Take RER B train to St Michel and transfer to the Metro. Take the line 4 Metro to Montparnasse. Then board the TGV train originating from Montparnasse. There is more frequent service from Montparnasse.

d. If arriving at Orly ... take the Orly Val to station Antony and RER train to Massy.

Links checked March 2015

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is a lot of very good information just above. One just needs to read closely and find what you need. One point about taking the train from CDG to Bayonne, if I recall correctly, you MUST change trains at Bordeaux.

Personally, I find changing trains in a foreign country to be a hassle. Toting a rucksack and perhaps another piece of luggage, to be sent down the road from SJPdP to Santiago, just adds to the stress while making the connection. Train travel across Europe is for folks who travel light.

Conversely, the TGV trains from Gare Montparnasse are non-stop, and there are more trains daily to Bayonne. You get on and into your reserved seat at Paris and get off with your stuff at Bayonne. Easy peasy... You might even get a nap after your long flight to Paris. Then again, most of the scenery on this route is beautiful...

I consider the door-to-door issues, and factor in the relative stress of connections. Everyone has their preferred style of travel.

My model is to do it with the fewest opportunities for "Murphy's Law" to intervene. Hence, getting off the airplane at CDG, going through the passport formalities, retrieving my checked luggage and rucksack, then making a single, short and easy, connection to the bus that goes non-stop to the train station at Gare Montparnasse is, IMHO, the easiest way if you are coming into Terminal #1.

I allow that, if you are arriving at Terminal #2, which is adjacent to the train station, taking the train to Bayonne via Bordeaux MAY be attractive to you. But, being able to catch a nap on the non-stop TGV from Paris to Bayonne is an added benefit, as I know I have 5.5 hours onboard and do not need to worry about sleeping through a connection enroute.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
One point about taking the train from CDG to Bayonne, if I recall correctly, you MUST change trains at Bordeaux.

A transfer is often required at Bordeaux. Not all trains will require a transfer.

Bordeaux is at the junction for tracks to Irun and Toulouse. Some trains terminate in Irun, others in Toulouse; hence the transfer.

Bordeaux Gare St Jean is a small station. Its a matter of crossing the platform to the waiting train.

Ok, thanks, correction noted. An extra connection is still another opportunity for Mr. Murphy to invoke his "rules..." I continue to prefer non-stops to the maximum extend possible.

I will be flying into Biarritz on May 3rd and staying at an Ibis hotel in Bayonne before taking the morning train to SJPDP . This should give me time to look around SJPDP in the afternoon and sort my self out ready for an early start on the 5th.
Hope to meet some of you forum members along the route.
Buen Camino

My daughter and I will be flying into Biarritz from Dublin on Tuesday, May 9. (We're from Lancaster PA but will be visiting family in Dublin first) We booked shared transport through Express Bourricot to take us from Biarritz to SJPP. They pick us up at the airport 30 minutes after our plane lands, and it's about an hour drive from there. We booked our stay at Gite Azkorria that night and will begin our Camino on May 10.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Check out http://www.expressbourricot.com/

They can pick you up if you take the train south from Paris. COst depends upon how many other persons are traveling and sharing the van...but it may be a better alternative than taking the local train to SJPDP. COntact them and they will let you know how many folks they are picking up and costs. Saved us time and energy before starting the walk!

Check out http://www.expressbourricot.com/

They can pick you up if you take the train south from Paris. COst depends upon how many other persons are traveling and sharing the van...but it may be a better alternative than taking the local train to SJPDP. COntact them and they will let you know how many folks they are picking up and costs. Saved us time and energy before starting the walk!
I think it's worth it. For 19 euros each, my daughter and I are being picked up at the airport and beings dropped at the pilgrims office in SJPP. Much worth it in my opinion to save us some hassle after traveling from the States to Dublin on Sunday, than to Biarritz on Tuesday! We figured it would give us a chance to catch our breath.

I think it's worth it. For 19 euros each, my daughter and I are being picked up at the airport and beings dropped at the pilgrims office in SJPP. Much worth it in my opinion to save us some hassle after traveling from the States to Dublin on Sunday, than to Biarritz on Tuesday! We figured it would give us a chance to catch our breath.

It is much worth it. Like yourself, I have relatives in Ireland, travel from Melbourne to Dublin, used expressbourricot from Biarritz to SJPP three time. I will again on Thursday 11 May.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd definitely recommend breaking up the walk from st.jean with a lovely stay at refuge orisson, next time we go we will do this.
Yeeeesss! I agree. It was difficult booking the room here and I had to email and call several times since October, but we finally heard back from them today. After this, no more planning for us. We're just going to take things as they come and deal with whatever happens as it occurs . But I thought it was best to get off on a good start. Roll on May!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be flying into Biarritz on May 3rd and staying at an Ibis hotel in Bayonne before taking the morning train to SJPDP . This should give me time to look around SJPDP in the afternoon and sort my self out ready for an early start on the 5th.
Hope to meet some of you forum members along the route.
Buen Camino

We may see you then! Buen Camino!

My daughter and I will be flying into Biarritz from Dublin on Tuesday, May 9. (We're from Lancaster PA but will be visiting family in Dublin first) We booked shared transport through Express Bourricot to take us from Biarritz to SJPP. They pick us up at the airport 30 minutes after our plane lands, and it's about an hour drive from there. We booked our stay at Gite Azkorria that night and will begin our Camino on May 10.

We are going to try to start on May 8 but we may see you! Buen Camino!

Hi, this is my first Camino. I'll take my flight from Taipei, Taiwan around end of April.
After arriving CDG, took Air France bus to Montparnasse that day.

So, when I on my way, hope can meet you great people.

Buen Camino.

Hopefully we'll cross paths! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Im flying into madrid too. Mid may. Are you planning onstaying overnight?? Getting real now!!
I'll probably be in Madrid on May the 6th. My intention is to stay in Madrid for the day and go to Pamplona next day and start my journey on May the 8th. When did you plan to start?

I'd definitely recommend breaking up the walk from st.jean with a lovely stay at refuge orisson, next time we go we will do this.
Thank you Belinda. What if the weather will be pretty bad that day?

@
I'll probably be in Madrid on May the 6th. My intention is to stay in Madrid for the day and go to Pamplona next day and start my journey on May the 8th. When did you plan to start?

@LiliM, are you starting in Pamplona or SJPdP? @thirdfencepost and I plan to leave SJPdP on May 8. (Sorry if I've already told you this)

I dont fly in til the 18th but then starting inBrugos or Leon so may catch up to you !!

@LiliM haven't decided. What about you?
It's probably worth it, but I won't have enough time. I would like to get to "the End of the World" and I have 32 days of walking. I'm wondering if this is even possible in just 32 days. Ultimately I take the bus from Santiago to Finisterre.

It's probably worth it, but I won't have enough time. I would like to get to "the End of the World" and I have 32 days of walking. I'm wondering if this is even possible in just 32 days. Ultimately I take the bus from Santiago to Finisterre.

I feel the same way. I would actually love to stop in Orisson but I'm not sure if we can afford the time. My guess is what is "possible" all depends on the circumstances you are faced with along the way - which you won't know until you get there. But why not go for it and just be flexible!

We are going to train and decide about Orisson in a month or so. Buen Camino! I have a feeling we'll be seeing each other along the way :)

€83,-
I feel the same way. I would actually love to stop in Orisson but I'm not sure if we can afford the time. My guess is what is "possible" all depends on the circumstances you are faced with along the way - which you won't know until you get there. But why not go for it and just be flexible!

We are going to train and decide about Orisson in a month or so. Buen Camino! I have a feeling we'll be seeing each other along the way :)
There's good chances we'll see each other along the way indeed :)

Have you done any kind of training? I was thinking to actually start doing some walking about 2 months before May. I also started learning some Spanish and hopefully I'll be able to use it a bit in the next 3 months.

Buen Camino!

There's good chances we'll see each other along the way indeed :)

Have you done any kind of training? I was thinking to actually start doing some walking about 2 months before May. I also started learning some Spanish and hopefully I'll be able to use it a bit in the next 3 months.

Buen Camino!

I walked a mile last week and two yesterday so I'm starting slow I workout regularly though and will definitely pick up the walking soon! Good for you for learning Spanish! I speak Spanish pretty well so I'm more worried about the walking!

I walked a mile last week and two yesterday so I'm starting slow I workout regularly though and will definitely pick up the walking soon! Good for you for learning Spanish! I speak Spanish pretty well so I'm more worried about the walking!
Good for you for already knowing the language :) I'm not so worried about the walking though. As my friend once told me: "It's all in your head!" She's probably right.

Hello... my wife and will just be a week behind you... flying to BCN, though, on May 14th... planning to get to SJPDP on the 15th, hopefully getting going right away to spend the night at Orisson... and we are fellow Winston Salem residents! Hope to see you there.... or here!

Buen Camino!

Hello... my wife and will just be a week behind you... flying to BCN, though, on May 14th... planning to get to SJPDP on the 15th, hopefully getting going right away to spend the night at Orisson... and we are fellow Winston Salem residents! Hope to see you there.... or here!

Buen Camino!

@DolfanCLT no way!! @thirdfencepost lives in Winston too. I don't know if we'll cross paths on the Camino but perhaps here. Is this your first Camino?

@DolfanCLT no way!! @thirdfencepost lives in Winston too. I don't know if we'll cross paths on the Camino but perhaps here. Is this your first Camino?

Yes, it is our first.... been thinking about it for years, always finding an excuse not to do it... main one was the lack of time, so last October, just decided to do what we can with what we have, meaning that we want to do the whole thing but won't do it at once... so, we will start at SJPDP and do whatever we can in two weeks... hopefully to Logroño... no set plans, other than spending the first night at Orisson and the last full day in Barcelona... then, we'll come back and start where we left off and do whatever we can, and so on until hopefully complete it in 3 or 4 trips...

We like to hike and do a lot of Blue Ridge Parkway, Hanging Rock Park, Pilot Mountain, Stone Mountain Park, etc., as much as we can... but also Salem Lake and the many Greenways around here are nice... hope that helps to get us in reasonably good shape!

Enjoy the prep!!! That's part of the journey!!! From the tickets purchase through the equipment research and mainly, the reading of this forum!!

I'm also leaving Australia the same time
You will be ahead of me ?
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
t2andreo,

Hi,
This is my first camino, and your post has helped me figure what I want to do. I arrive at CDG at 7:55am May 1. Now my question is about the connection to the train to Bayonne. On this version ( https://www.raileurope.com/us/point_to_point/ptp_results.htm?execution=e1s6&resultId=144802304 ) it says I can leave from the airport, at 10:16am.

You have suggested going to Gare Montparnasse. And that train is at 2:23pm - am I reading this right? Can you help? https://www.raileurope.com/us/point_to_point/ptp_results.htm?execution=e3s5&resultId=144802387.

Thanks a million.

Barbara

Does anyone know if there is a train leaving Bayonne for SJPdP at 18:00 on Sundays?

I do not see one on the SNCF website and think I will have to use Express Bourricot. Just wanted to confirm....

Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a train leaving Bayonne for SJPdP at 18:00 on Sundays?

I do not see one on the SNCF website and think I will have to use Express Bourricot. Just wanted to confirm....

Thanks!

There is a Sunday train leaving Bayonne at 21:10 on 07/05/2016
See more here--
https://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
i just did the homework on getting to SJPdP from CDG. Unless you land before 0600, both the train and plane options get you to SJPdP ~6:15pm...there’s no way around it - its a 6 hr. trip, and if you don’t catch the 0715 train, the next one doesn’t leave until ~11:45. You can take the 11:45, connect in Bayonne to a local train for the 1 hr. trip to SJPdP. Here is a site where you can build your itinerary and book/purchase the train tix. : https://www.sncf.com/en/booking-itinerary/itinerary/results-list/booking-itinerary/itinerary. The website says that reservations are required on the train from Montparnasse (Paris) to Bayonne.

Search “Train from Paris to SJPdP” in the forum and you’ll find a lot more info. That’s where I found this travel option.

i just did the homework on getting to SJPdP from CDG. Unless you land before 0600, both the train and plane options get you to SJPdP ~6:15pm...there’s no way around it - its a 6 hr. trip, and if you don’t catch the 0715 train, the next one doesn’t leave until ~11:45. You can take the 11:45, connect in Bayonne to a local train for the 1 hr. trip to SJPdP. Here is a site where you can build your itinerary and book/purchase the train tix. : https://www.sncf.com/en/booking-itinerary/itinerary/results-list/booking-itinerary/itinerary. The website says that reservations are required on the train from Montparnasse (Paris) to Bayonne.

Search “Train from Paris to SJPdP” in the forum and you’ll find a lot more info. That’s where I found this travel option.
Good advice, but the OP completed their Camino almost 4 years ago. 😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back