• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in November

Genevieve11

Time of past OR future Camino
I hope to walk the Camino Frances this November
Hi,
I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances, setting off during the last couple of days of October, and walking through November. I'm a female travelling alone and wanted to check: is this a sensible time to walk? How many people walk at this time of year (appreciate it won't be the crowds of summer, but am hoping to meet other walkers on the route). Are auberges open and is there still a sociable atmosphere? If it is a daft idea then I could walk in the spring instead, but it's so rare to be able to carve out an expanse of time I feel I should take advantage of it!
Any advice greatly appreciated,
Thank you,
Genevieve

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
In 2012 I walked from Astorga to Santiago at the beginning of november. Mornings were cold but at midday and in the afternoon I only wore a t-shirt most of the time. It's true that I was lucky with the weather and it only rained two days (one of them pouring down).
Two years ago there were enough people not to feel alone and sure this year you will meet some people. In my opinion it's not only a sensible time to walk; it's a wonderful time to do it.
Furthermore, last year I was walking from Somport to Santiago between november and december. I met a lot of really nice people as well and there was always somebody else in the albergues (even in Estella there were 20 people). I only was alone in el Burgo Ranero but I was talking with the hospitalero till midnight.
Don't forget to carry a poncho or something for the rain, and you can follow many advices you will find here in the forum regarding clothes.

Hi Genevieve!

I certainly don't think it's a daft idea. I haven't done it myself, but I have been in the middle of the Camino in December doing other stuff, and there are still pilgrims around even then. You might find that the smaller numbers make for a closer Camino family experience.

I've done some calculations on the official pilgrim stats from last year and as a rough estimate about 15 a day started in St Jean each day at the end of October. This doesn't count pilgrims who already started walking elsewhere in France or beyond. If you stay in one of the more popular spots in St Jean you'll be sure to meet others before you start.

Take good advice about kit before you go, and about weather when you're there, and have a wonderful Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A fair number of albergues will be closed by the end of October, but in towns with two or more, one is usually open.

I have found that the atmosphere at the quiet times is more sociable. My guess is that pilgrims are more open in smaller groups, and you can afford to stop viewing other pilgrims as competition for a bed!!! In June one time I sat at a bar having coffee watching the other pilgrims go by. I was thinking, "there goes another bed." Once I realized what I was doing, I did an attitude check to remember that some of them were my dinner companions on previous nights. They were friends, not enemies...

Nights will be cold at the higher elevations, so dress in layers as advised. There is no second-guessing the rain. There can be none, or lots. I love my Altus poncho for warmth and dryness.

Buen camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Genevieve,

Late autumn/winter is a great time to walk! For lots of helpful tips and advice scan what others and I have written earlier re walking in October-November and winter expenses.

When walking at this time only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. In some smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim which can be rather daunting especially if the electricity fails or the pipes rumble.

Most who walk in late autumn/winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Genevieve,

Late autumn/winter is a great time to walk! For lots of helpful tips and advice scan what others and I have written earlier re walking in October-November and winter expenses.

When walking at this time only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. In some smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim which can be rather daunting especially if the electricity fails or the pipes rumble.

Most who walk in late autumn/winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine.

Margaret Meredith

Hi Genevieve,

I also plan to cover part of Camino in November. I intend to walk from Ponferrada to Santiago. I reach the place on Nov 1 and start the camino on Nov 2. are your dates matching in any way?

Hi others,

I was doubtful about walking in November because of the cold but your replies have cleared my doubts. Thanks

Shrikant

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all so much for your help, this is excellent advice - now feeling a lot more optimistic about setting out when most people are beginning a winter hibernation. Thank you, Gen

The numbers really dropped off at Burgos after the weather got frosty in the morning around mid November.

You have to plan ahead about albergues. Usually there is one open in towns while the ones in smaller villages are closed. Sometimes you have to stop early because the next might be too far for a good days walk.

The Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP gave me a list of association Albergues. The list had dates of operation and so was quite helpful. The information wasn't 100% correct but I never had to walk further than I planned.

Hi,
I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances, setting off during the last couple of days of October, and walking through November. I'm a female travelling alone and wanted to check: is this a sensible time to walk? How many people walk at this time of year (appreciate it won't be the crowds of summer, but am hoping to meet other walkers on the route). Are auberges open and is there still a sociable atmosphere? If it is a daft idea then I could walk in the spring instead, but it's so rare to be able to carve out an expanse of time I feel I should take advantage of it!
Thank you,
Genevieve

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yay! I plan to walk my first Camino next November. Where is a good place to start if you only have around 10 - 12 days?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Shrikant, I'm hoping to get to St Jean de Pied a Port on 29th October, and setting off from there...I'm not an especially fast walker so it sounds like you'll be ahead of me...if my timing changes I'll set off further down the route but so far thinking of setting off in France. Do keep me updated on anything further down the route. Buen camino.

Hi Genevieve,
I am setting off from SJPP on Oct 31. I have learned alot from reading mspath's blog - she mentions alberques where she stayed so those are good options
for places that will be open. I have also downloaded the app TrekRight from CaminoPedia - lists the alberques and details about when they are open.
Buen Camino!

Excellent, I'll probably see you along the route! Thank you, great advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey, am planning to do the last bit of the Camino from Sarria starting November 4th. Would alburgues on the route be open around that time? And what would be the terrain? Is it possible to do more than the 20-25 kms prescribed a day? Any advice on the earliest start off/ closing timings?

Hi,
Thank you,
Genevieve
Hi Genevieve,
I'm setting off next week travelling with m

Travelling with my niece for the first week then alone for the rest. I walked last year on my own at this time of year and it was wonderful. Definitely no problem for a woman travelling alone, because you really are not alone for long. You meet such wonderful people. Maybe we'll meet along the way. Maxine

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey, am planning to do the last bit of the Camino from Sarria starting November 4th. Would alburgues on the route be open around that time? And what would be the terrain? Is it possible to do more than the 20-25 kms prescribed a day? Any advice on the earliest start off/ closing timings?
There will be plenty of open beds in the last 100km in November. The terrain will be unchanged from previous years. You can look at it here:
http://www.gronze.com/guia-del-camino-frances/etapas/etapa-28-sarria-portomarin
You can do as much distance as you want. Keep in mind that there can be repercussions later from doing too much too soon. Since you will only be walking for about five days, that payback may not be until the airplane!
Albergues generally open about 1500, lock the doors at 2200, and want pilgrims gone by 0830. Sunrise will be about 0815, so an early departure will have you walking in darkness!
Buen camino.

I'm looking to leave around oct 21. When are you leaving? I'm a single female traveler too

Hi, I'll get to SJPP on 29th October, so will be setting off on 30th I think...maybe see you there? Gen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There will be plenty of open beds in the last 100km in November. The terrain will be unchanged from previous years. You can look at it here:
http://www.gronze.com/guia-del-camino-frances/etapas/etapa-28-sarria-portomarin
You can do as much distance as you want. Keep in mind that there can be repercussions later from doing too much too soon. Since you will only be walking for about five days, that payback may not be until the airplane!
Albergues generally open about 1500, lock the doors at 2200, and want pilgrims gone by 0830. Sunrise will be about 0815, so an early departure will have you walking in darkness!
Buen camino.
Thanks a ton, Falcon for the encouraging inputs! We should be good. Post 8 AM sunrise fits in with our plans!

Hi Genevieve,
I walked from SSJP to Finisterra and Muxia departing exactly the same date as you back in the holy year of 2010 and here is what I experienced.

Everything was calmer (having walked in the busy summer of 2007) so you never felt the rush of fellow pilgrims.
The travel to SSJP was pleasant and there were still a handful of other hardy pilgrims to connect with. Our merry band included one Brit, one Aussie, one Italian, one Scot and one South Korean.

The weather through November was lovely. Fresh in them morning and warm in the mid-day.
Heading into Galicia in December the weather would be frosty in the morning then again warm during the day.
Sunrise was approx 07:30-08:00 and sunset was around 5pm so your walking hours are shorter but you get a lie in :)

Now it was the holy year when pilgrim numbers are higher but I found it just the right mix of solitude and company.
I left the Brierley guidebook at home and went for the basic but excellent 'Camino Guide' from the link below.
http://caminoguide.net/#CF

This gave me alternative routes which allowed me to take whenever I felt things were getting a little crowded. These quieter routes would offer me some tranquillity when I wanted it.
The guide was 95% accurate with regards to when albergues were open and closed which is something to look out for in the winter months. Only once did I struggle for alternative accommodation when following this guide.

If I went again, I would choose the shoulder months. The temperature is perfect for walking, I may have been lucky but did not get very many days of rain, only a little sleet over Cruz de Ferro.
I was still able to walk with and connect with others whenever I wanted to and those you connect with you bond tightly as you are less of you.
You can pass through villages quietly as opposed to the constant rattle of summer pilgrims' hiking sticks.
This may, in turn, endear you to to locals more often than if you were in a larger crowd.

One last note is about the sunrises.....
296ocva.jpg

263h6du.jpg

14vlp5l.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
bring a rain poncho and a fleece, the weather could turn nasty (but no snow or below freezing during the day). remember that we lose an hour of daylight in november, so you will have shorter days (sunsetting at around 6ish, even before). Almost 5000 pilgrims completed the pilgrimage last year (75% were on the French Camino) in november, of which 1000 started in SJdP, this year should be roughly about the same.

best of luck and buen camino!

Hi Genevieve,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you so much for your advise. I'll be walking the Camino in Nov/Dec 2014. Your equipment list was so helpful - especially because it seemed logical!

Hey Genevieve
I'm setting off from st jean de pied on the 31st Oct or the 1st of November 2014 and I was really nervous about leaving in November and having no one but seems like still quite a few people walk at that time hopefully I will see you alone the way :)
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
Thank you,
Genevieve

I´ll be starting my way from León on November 3rd. As you said, it´s rare to be able to carve out such a time out.

Anyone else???

Hi,
Thank you,
Genevieve
Hi Genevieve, Ill be starting about 10 days behind you. I wish you buen camino and perhaps we will meet up somewhere along the way. :)

Hi Genevieve, Ill be starting about 10 days behind you. I wish you buen camino and perhaps we will meet up somewhere along the way. :)

Hi Jojok. I think she has already completed her journey in 2014 so....or she was walking with great tranquility or it is difficult for you to meet her in 2017.:D:rolleyes:
a joke sorry!
ciao

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ha, Im an idiot! I need to get better at looking at the dates when I look at threads. :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back