• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in October - long or short-sleeve merino?

Nelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Sept/Oct 2023; July 2024
I’m planning to walk the Camino Frances between September 20 in SJPdP and ending October 31 in SDC. I’ve read lots of posts on clothing layers, merino, keeping the pack light, etc., but I haven’t yet found a discussion of long-sleeve vs. short-sleeve base layers for October and lightweight vs. mid-weight merino. For those who have walked at that time — while walking (not post-hike) is a short sleeve merino T-shirt more useful than a lightweight long sleeve shirt as a base layer? Did you pack a mid-weigh merino (around 250 gsm) or stick to what’s typically advertised as lightweight? I’ve already figured out the warm layer (a lightweight shetland sweater or a nanopuff), but I’m now trying to figure out if I had three merino shirts to bring, would it be 2 short sleeve and 1 long sleeve, or vice versa, and whether I would want to the long sleeve shirt(s) to be lightweight or mid-weight merino. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What would you wear for a day-long walk at home? I'm guessing it would depend on the weather that day, so you'll need to guess at the range of weather possibilities and plan for all of them. In Spain during September and October, the range would probably be similar to what you would get in NY.

Always, two light layers are more versatile than one heavier one. Whether your base layers have long or short sleeves might depend on whether you wear a long-sleeved sun shirt. I always wear a sleeveless or short-sleeved base layer under a sun shirt, while walking, and add a lightweight long-sleeved base layer if I need a little more warmth. For evenings and night I need another long-sleeved base layer plus a cosy down vest or jacket.

I walked the CF in October 2022 with a long sleeve sun shirt, one long sleeve light weight merino and one short sleeve light weight merino tee. I also used a nano puffy for colder weather. In addition, I had a light weight rain jacket to add as needed. This combo worked well for me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Although I know that I should wear long sleeves for sun protection, I just can't stand it if it's warm/hot. For that reason, I would always bring a short sleeve top because I can always layer something warmer over top.
Um, long sleeves aren't too hot. Just based on experience, but I usually go in April/May or Sept/Oct like the original poster said they were going.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m planning to walk the Camino Frances between September 20 in SJPdP and ending October 31 in SDC. I’ve read lots of posts on clothing layers, merino, keeping the pack light, etc., but I haven’t yet found a discussion of long-sleeve vs. short-sleeve base layers for October and lightweight vs. mid-weight merino. For those who have walked at that time — while walking (not post-hike) is a short sleeve merino T-shirt more useful than a lightweight long sleeve shirt as a base layer? Did you pack a mid-weigh merino (around 250 gsm) or stick to what’s typically advertised as lightweight? I’ve already figured out the warm layer (a lightweight shetland sweater or a nanopuff), but I’m now trying to figure out if I had three merino shirts to bring, would it be 2 short sleeve and 1 long sleeve, or vice versa, and whether I would want to the long sleeve shirt(s) to be lightweight or mid-weight merino. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
In the fall i always bring a reg weight long sleeve zip collar merino and two reg weight merino tshirts. I also bring a synthetic “town” shirt that’s fairly windproof but breathable and can be used as a sun shirt.
Also I prefer a nano puff over a wool sweater for the comfort and weight savings.

In past years I often began walking in October and usually wore a short sleeve polyester under-shirt topped by a long sleeve polyester over-shirt and a thin waterproof jacket.

For cold weather I also carried a second short sleeve polyester tee shirt, a second long sleeve polyester tee shirt and a long sleeve thermal undershirt plus a polar jacket/fleece and muffler, woolly hat, gloves.

Last edited:
I walked the CF in October 2022 with a long sleeve sun shirt, one long sleeve light weight merino and one short sleeve light weight merino tee. I also used a nano puffy for colder weather. In addition, I had a light weight rain jacket to add as needed. This combo worked well for me.

I walked September - October of last year and packed 2 short sleeve merinos, 1 long sleeve merino, micro fleece 1/4 zip, Patagonia NanoPuff jacket and an Outdoor Research rain jacket. I was able to stay comfortable in a wide range of temperatures with different combinations of those items. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always have 1 short sleeve, 1 long sleeve, (in summer - also a tank top), and if I want another shirt - it would be a tossup between short/long sleeve - but generally I would stick with the short sleeve for most Spring/Summer/Fall months. In the winter months I would probably bring the long sleeve instead.

I tend to alternate short sleeve shirts and when I wear the long sleeve - it is usually OVER the short sleeve as I like to add/peel layers throughout the day and when I am walking I often want to ditch the longer sleeves once it starts to warm up and my blood is flowing. Since I usually wear the short sleeves under the long sleeve - the long sleeve stays cleaner in terms of body funk (now spilling food beverages is another story).

Also - my long sleeve would be lightweight - but I would have a down puffy and rain jacket for layers too. If I need an additional later - could always buy when there.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your advice and experience. Lots of good ideas as I continue to whittle down my pack. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Let me throw another idea into the mix.😄 I will carry two short sleeve merino tees and a pair of merino sleeves. I also plan to bring a very thin fleece 1/4 zip, and a packa rain jacket. This allows me to pull the sleeves down without removing them on chilly mornings or add them for sun protection. A few years back I made my own sleeves, but now they’re available online. If I get too cold, I’ll purchase another layer. I tend to be too warm.

Just a few things to take into account when planning wardrobe..
Are you a ‘cold’ person or a ‘warm’ person .. I tend to be “cold” so long sleeves are my go-to
Spain is a cold country with a hot sun. When the sun goes down or before the sun rises (after 7:30 am or 8am) or it is a cloudy day it can be cool or cold.
Most of the Camino Frances is at a higher altitude at 800 m which can make it cooler.
Buen Camino

I have walked in April, May, June, July. September and October and by far the most pleasant conditions I walked in were on the Camino Frances in September and October. However, the mornings can be a little cool, I usually set out between 06.00 and 07.00 wearing long sleeves but switch to short sleeves when I hade my breakfast stop around 09.00. I went for medium weight in the long sleeves and light weight in the short sleeves but I do not particularly feel the cold.
Buen Camino
Vince.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although I know that I should wear long sleeves for sun protection, I just can't stand it if it's warm/hot. For that reason, I would always bring a short sleeve top because I can always layer something warmer over top.
I always felt this way also. But when I walked the VDLP starting around October 15th it was still over 90 every day leaving Sevilla. This heat lasted for about 10 days. There was no shade anywhere and never a cloud in the sky. I had a long sleeve quick dry tshirt and had bought another long sleeve quick dry with a hood. Both had 50+UV protection. I bought the one with the hood because it was like 70% off. I figured before I left it would be sunny but pleasant at that time of the year. I was really wrong of course. The point is I never felt any more uncomfortable with the long sleeves. I also wore a super light pair of pants and never wore shorts. I had my trusty Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap that I think is awesome to wear when it is hot. I can cover my head neck ears and face almost completely if need be. Those first 10 days i walked almost completely covered and I was glad I did. I am sure I would have been just as hot with short sleeves and short pants. I remember reading you like those sun reflector umbrellas. I am sure that would have helped as I have read they can actually lower the temperature under the umbrella.

I walked the CF in 2017 from mid-September until the third week in October. The first part of the walk was actually the coldest of the pilgrimage (mid 30s F). I wore a lightweight hiking shirt with a long-sleeve Smartwool quarter zip and a lightweight down vest. On all my walks, I am usually pretty warmed up within 15-20 minutes, even with those early starts in the dark in late September. I agree with those above that long sleeves protect against skin cancer, since there are many long stretches without shade in Northern Spain. The only short-sleeve shirt I took was for sleeping in.

In 2017 I walked the Camino mid September to mid October. I wore only shorts and on top a thin shirt and micro fleece sweater as the mornings were cool. During our Camino the weather was hot. Keep your pack as light as possible. Hope all goes well with you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started mid Sept and found I was carrying too much stuff, sent my long sleeved top and leggings home, come Oct nearing Galicia especially the mornings and late evenings I wish I had them back

I walked at the same time 2022. I had two long sleeve merinos and also light short-sleeve tees. Vital was my rain jacket with a hood. I also wore rain pants when it was vey wet. I never had short-sleeved merinos just polyester tees. I checked out the weather each day and adjusted my clothing depending on temperature and rain forecast. Looking back at the photos some days were like early spring sometimes like late autumn. It was a good time to walk. The rain hit near the end in Galicia. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Same here. My Camino kit is merino no sleeve, short sleeve and long sleeve - and layer as needed. I have only ever layered two which means I have something a bit cleaner for evening and don’t have to do laundry every night.

I did the CF in October-November 2916 and had one tank top (for the Meseta), one short sleeve and two long sleeve. I ended up buying another long sleeve in Astorga. I would recommend bringing one short sleeve because the Meseta will be hot in Sept and two long sleeve.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.