• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in October

Jme

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino.
I'm hoping for any information on what to expect if I undertake the Camino in October 2016, as of right now I am undecided if I should go then or wait until June/July 2017. I'm hoping to gain some information on what weather I can expect if Albergues will still be open and if I will encounter a number of other pilgrims? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm hoping for any information on what to expect if I undertake the Camino in October 2016, as of right now I am undecided if I should go then or wait until June/July 2017. I'm hoping to gain some information on what weather I can expect if Albergues will still be open and if I will encounter a number of other pilgrims? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

October/November is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Do be aware however that many albergues start to close mid October. For lots of personal commentary regarding walking at this time including a kit list see my Camino Gazetteer blog.

For what others have posted re Autumn walking see this earlier Forum thread.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Jme! Welcome to the forum!

You will encounter other pilgrims. If you want to look for previous years' statistics, you can take a look at: http://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas

Regarding weather, October can be rainier than June/July but it won't be as hot as June/July.

Another point to have in mind, specially if you plan to walk long days, it's days in October are shortern than in June/July.

Hi, October is the best time of the year IMHO. Cooler, no race for beds (which you get in June/July), still plenty of pilgrims along the way, no big school groups. Some places have closed already, especially in the smaller villages, so don’t plan on staying in a place where there is only one private albergue, as it may have closed for the winter season earlier than expected. There are still enough albergues open in the bigger towns to accommodate everyone. I’ve walked the CF twice in October, and both times I had about 6 days total of rain. Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did my first part from St J mid October a few years back. It was lovely nice enough weather if you don't mind the odd shower and fine with a summer sleeping bag at night.
I met quite a few pilgrims and found beds easily enough. I'm hoping to go back to complete Sarria to Santiago in October :)

I walked to Santiago from St Jean Pied de Port last year, beginning on September 30. For me it was good weather (two weeks of rain) and a pleasant walk. However, by the time that I was approaching Santiago in mid-November, many albergues were closed and it was becoming harder to find a bed for the night. This year, I am leaving two weeks earlier and walking the camino Aragones before continuing on the Frances from Puenta la Reina. Given the crowds from April on this year, I think that fall may be a desirable time to walk. However, I may move on to less busy routes in future (hence the Aragones) as the crowds on the Frances seem to be causing increasing challenges.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perfect time for us - we chose it on stats in 2014 and had a great CF with little rain, no mud and no heat and most albergues were still open.
Same in 2015.
This year I will leave STJPdP mid Sep and go all the way to Muxia and back - can't wait!

@Blaster and I will be following your posts all the way. Don't think my family will let me go again so soon, but I wish!

October/November is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Do be aware however that many albergues start to close mid October. For lots of personal commentary regarding walking at this time including a kit list see my Camino Gazetteer blog.
@mspath, your Camino Gazetteer blog is a real treasure. I just discovered it tonight while looking at some old posts and have spent many happy hours reading your entries. For those who haven't seen it, mspath has organized the entries from each of her 11 Camino Frances walks in geographical order (as opposed to chronological order). Thus you can read about a specific stage many times over on a single page and compare her experiences, the weather, the path conditions, and her growth as a pilgrim over the various years. The reading is both poignant and joyous. Thank you, mspath, for the many loving hours you put into this project.
Elaine

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Elaine,
Many thanks for your kind comments. I am pleased that you found the Camino Gazetteer useful.
Now at 80, although time has taken a toll, I still enjoy sharing camino info with new walkers and digital readers.

Buen Camino and, as always,
Ultreia!
Margaret

Now at 80 I still enjoy sharing camino info with new walkers and digital readers.
Margaret, I am so glad to know you are still contributing. In between my earlier post and this reply, I explored other parts of your site and found much useful information for the October camino my daughter, husband, and I are planning. Your writing is inspiring; I hope that the revival of this thread helps others discover it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I remember lots of ferias in October...

Anniesantiago, are you aware of how I could find schedules of various ferias/festivals in October 2019? I realize this post is over 3 years old but you seem to have a special pulse on happenings regardless of year or route!

Festivals all over the place, not all on the Camino Santiago. You might look up the villages along the way and find out when their local patron ferias are. Here are some I found online:

– San Froilán in Lugo. From 4-12 October for a week. Camino Primitivo – Original Way. León, on the French Way, also celebrates San Froilán.
– Fete de St Foy in Conques, on the Le Puy Camino, in France. Around 10th and 11th October.
– San Lucas horse and country fair in Mondoñedo with origins dating back to the 12th century. Mid-October. Camino del Norte– Northern Way.
– Apple Fest takes place in Redondela, on the Portuguese Way, in early October.

There's an Irish festival in Cáceres on October 25
A couple of saffron festivals in Toledo October 25-28
The Pilar fiestas in Zaragoza from October 5-13
October 18-28 is a floral festival in Córdoba
Valencia has a local festival starting with fireworks the night of October 8
Wine festival October 10-13 in Cangas del Narcea, Asturias region
Fiesta of the Moors and Christians in Crevillente October 5-7
Oktoberfest in Madrid on October 24-27
San Lucas Fair in Jaen on October 12-20
Concurs de Casell (where they build those giant human towers) in Tarragona Oct 5-6
White Night Festival October 5 in Madrid - free entrance to museums, etc.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back