• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in October

Yael Cohen

Time of past OR future Camino
Thinking about doing the Camino this October (2016)
Hello,

Duo to time limitations, I might have an option of doing the Camino Frances from the end of September to mid-end of October. Iv'e been checking the weather forecasts for that month in different places on the route which shows that most days should still be sunny.

However I wanted to ask the advice of people who actually did the Camino during this month

Thanks in advance :)
Yael

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started 25 October 2012. The 24th was warm sunny but with high winds on the heights of Route Napoleon. The day I went was cool -- perfect for walking --- with a couple of hours of sideways rain --- not so perfect. There were rumours of snow on Route Napoleon for the day following.

Days started out cool enough to wear a jacket but usually ended warm. Sun Screen and Sun Glasses were needed.

There were a couple of days that were wet and cool throughout. I had a no-day in Burgos where it was raining all day making the route on the meseta muddy.

I had borderline hypothermia due to cool following wind and low energy on a long day finishing in Hontanas.

I started encountering frost mid November, ice skims on pools at Rabanal, and snow on O Cebreiro at end November.

Overall warmer and dryer than at home.

All this was later in the season as what you are planning.

Done the CF in October/November 2014 - until Galicia I had glorious Indian Summer style weather then the usual mix of rain and sleet/snow in Galicia. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
most days should still be sunny.
I have walked 3 times in October, and found that many or even most days were sunny. However, you need to be prepared for the other days as well! Several light layers for insulation and a waterproof over layer, along with light gloves and a hat or buff, will prepare you for everything. If the weather is warm and sunny you just wear one thin layer. If it cold and rainy you wear everything (except you need to make sure you have a dry layer for the evenings).

I walked 8 Oct-9November in 2012 and walked a considerable amount in short sleeves. Well, I had the shirt on too, not just the sleeves (hahaha!). Many of the Spanish folks had sweaters on but for me, it was beautiful and balmy. Only once we (my walking buddies, met on the Camino) go to Leon did I find I needed gloves and touque (for all those non-Canadians--woollen hat!), which I purchased for cheap at a China shop. I needed these only for the first hours in the morning, then not really at all after that. We encountered lots of rain, which was warm or not so warm, but never cold like we have in November here in eastern Canada.

One of my Camino friends who walked a few days to a week behind me, after we parted, encountered snow on several occasions.

You never know what you will find, so just be aware that you will be walking in the in between season: just after summer, and just before winter. If you are ready for that and, as C Clearly mentions, enough clothing that you can layer, you'll be fine.

Have fun and Buen Camino!

I'm sooo glad I'm doing it a little earlier... Comming from Brisbane I would need all my layers and the mattress wrapped around me all the time!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,

Duo to time limitations, I might have an option of doing the Camino Frances from the end of September to mid-end of October. Iv'e been checking the weather forecasts for that month in different places on the route which shows that most days should still be sunny.

However I wanted to ask the advice of people who actually did the Camino during this month

Thanks in advance :)
Yael

Hello,
I walked the 1st of Oct. 2015 and I had cool mornings and had rain for several days.

Hi Yael,
I'm planning to walk the camino de frances from 29th of September. Originally, I planned to cycle it, but I have change my mind.

It looks like a good time to walk the camino...
Asher

Hi,

Did it in 2014. The weather was quite manageable. Cool in the morning in the Meseta, gloves appreciated. Rainy in Galicia as anticipated.

P1.jpg

The days are shorter and Spain is located at the west of the Central Europe time zone : expect to start walking at abt. 8:00 am if you don't want to use a headlight. (Ugly) pic below : 3rd of October, 8:15 am, last 110 km.

P2.JPG .

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Yael Cohen
I walked the camino frances from Sept. 30 to Nov. 17 last year, with six days off and a few detours, as I had lots of time. In general, the weather was good. There were a few frosty mornings, mostly earlier in the walk, when I needed gloves to keep my hands warm, but I walked every day with only the gear that you see on my avatar to the left, plus rain gear when needed. It rained about two weeks during my walk, sometimes fairly heavily but none of the downpours common in Galicia. In fact, I had no rain at all in Galicia, aside from a few short showers after I arrived in Santiago. I think that autumn is the ideal time to walk the camino, but preferably before mid-November, as the albergues are shutting down for the off season. Have a wonderful walk. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back