• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in October

Mirthe

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello guys!

I am a woman from Holland planning my first Camino for two and a half weeks in October, starting from Octber 10th... I am a bit nervous and have several questions!

1. I hear the nights can be quite chilly... What kind of sleeping bag should I buy, for what temperature, any experience here? I get cold very easily...

2. I read a thread on the forum that it is extremely crowded with pilgrims this september (2016)! I hope by the time I go, the crowds have gone... :) Now I also read that a lot of albuerges and restaurants close from mid October. I want tot take my time and walk short distances, maybe 15k to 20k a day. With many alberugeus closing, is it likely I can do such short stages? Any advice on how to handle this?

3. Is it necesarry to use a map on the Camino? I must confess I am not very strong at orientation/ map-reading... But the Camino is very well sign posted.
Bearing this in mind, I am a bit nervous about the first stage - St. Jean tot Roncevalles.... There are no yellow signposts in the beginning (since this is France) if I am correct? Is it wise to split this stage in two: first day to Orisson, second day to Roncesvalles? Or is it the Valcarlos-route better for a beginner? The Napoleon route is more beautiful, I think. I heard you can easily take the wrong direction starting from St Jean, maybe I should ask somebody to walk the first part of this stage with me..... ;)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi and welcome to the forum @Mirthe

1. A lightweight sleeping bag with a comfort temperature of ~10C should do fine.

2. Yes, the crowds will have thinned, for info regarding open/closed albergues see http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ they normally start to update this page as the albergues close. 15-20km stages should be possible that time of the year.

3. The pilgrims office in SJPdP will give you advice on which route to take, depending on the weather, and how to find it.

Buen Camino, SY

Hello guys!

I am a woman from Holland planning my first Camino for two and a half weeks in October, starting from Octber 10th... I am a bit nervous and have several questions!

1. I hear the nights can be quite chilly... What kind of sleeping bag should I buy, for what temperature, any experience here? I get cold very easily...

2. I read a thread on the forum that it is extremely crowded with pilgrims this september (2016)! I hope by the time I go, the crowds have gone... :) Now I also read that a lot of albuerges and restaurants close from mid October. I want tot take my time and walk short distances, maybe 15k to 20k a day. With many alberugeus closing, is it likely I can do such short stages? Any advice on how to handle this?

3. Is it necesarry to use a map on the Camino? I must confess I am not very strong at orientation/ map-reading... But the Camino is very well sign posted.
Bearing this in mind, I am a bit nervous about the first stage - St. Jean tot Roncevalles.... There are no yellow signposts in the beginning (since this is France) if I am correct? Is it wise to split this stage in two: first day to Orisson, second day to Roncesvalles? Or is it the Valcarlos-route better for a beginner? The Napoleon route is more beautiful, I think. I heard you can easily take the wrong direction starting from St Jean, maybe I should ask somebody to walk the first part of this stage with me..... ;)

Thanks a lot in advance!

I am just before Pamplona at present ... Having left St Jean via Valcarlos on Tuesday .... I am doing a week of roughly 15 kms a day .... Some days I think I could have gone further but why ? .... I meet people , talk to them , have breaks , take photos ...

After Valcarlos I doubted the signs in one road section and thought I had missed it so turned back down the road just before the sign .... Luckily I was rescued by a Spaniard and a Canadian and walked the rest of the day with them .... It really made my day ...

I have to admit I am not staying in albergues ..... But I think you will be ok .... And anyway things just work out ...

I have already learnt that sometimes ... The best plan is not to have a plan ...

I wish you well
Anne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Mirtha, I walked 14 nights, starting Oct. 8 last year from St. Jean. We stayed in private accomodations, so I'll defer to the excellent advice on sleeping bags and albergues above. However, I can add that while there were plenty of pilgrims around, it was nothing like I've been reading about for this September! Oct. 12, however, is both a civil and religious holiday, so a lot of people took advantage of a long weekend to spend a few days on the Camino, and Pamplona was pretty lively (and a lot of fun), as was Roncesvalles. We spent the previous night in Valcarlos-- four pilgrims total in town. As for weather, mornings and evenings were cool -- plan on layers. Some days I started with 4, but was down to a light t-shirt and thin pants by noon. Enjoy! It was a great time to walk.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You should have no trouble finding accommodation every 15-20 km in any of the popular stopping points. Just don't arrive in a tiny village and expect the one Albergue to be open unless you have checked first. The pilgrim office in SJPP will give you directions to get to Roncesvalles and also a list of Albergues for the whole route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the great info! I will soon experience it myself ..... :) I will check albergues in tiny villages...... And if there is a problem with the albergues in general I take private accomodation and for instance book one day in advance or earlier if necessary... :)

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back