• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances In October?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's lovely in October. Just the normal packing really - lots of lists on here. You will definitely need a sleeping bag. Mine is a 45F one.

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking I want to walk the Camino Frances, and it's looking like the first few days of October is when I can start.

Is that going to be okay? Any specific advice or suggestions for gear/a pack/anything else?

Thank you so much!
I've walked the last two years in late September/early October. The weather is perfect and I've only experienced on rainy day. Mornings are cool, but I never started out with anything other than a tee. I loved the fall season and I tend to be hot most of the time. I didn't use a sleeping bag at all, but rather a silk liner. I will be walking leaving on April 26th to go back to the Camino and walk in Spring. Don't know what to expect, but I'm certainly looking forward to a new season. Buen Camino to you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Nice time to go, I did, Camino two. Mornings can be cool. I took inexpensive pair of gloves for first few chilly morning minutes. You will end in November, November can be cool, recommend sleeping bag, fleece vest, and at leat one long-sleeved tee.
Buen camino.

For more on walking the camino in autumn see this earlier forum thread filled with helpful links/tips including gear lists.
Do be aware that many albergues start to close mid October for a well-earned rest after the crowds of summer have left; hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walking the Camino Frances in October....

Is tremendous.

Go. :D

I walked this past October and November, and have only walked my Camino walks this time of the year. This past one was amazing--virtually no rain. In fact, I guess I can say no rain, until Galicia. Crossing the 'border' from Leon into Galicia: dry as a bone into pouring rain. But it didn't rain as much as it had the last two times I had walked. Be prepared (rain gear--poncho and pack cover for me) and just go!

I walked last October and the weather as everyone mentions was incredible. A couple of things, the Way was more crowded than I had anticipated at this time and it is quite dark until 8:00 - 8;15, so if you like walking in the early morning make sure you have a headlamp or solid lighting

I have done two Camino Frances in March-April and will be doing one this October. I hope to leave St. Jean on the 5 or 6 of October. I am looking for different weather than in the spring. Maybe I will see you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walking the Camino Frances in October....

Is tremendous.

Go. :D

I walked this past October and November, and have only walked my Camino walks this time of the year. This past one was amazing--virtually no rain. In fact, I guess I can say no rain, until Galicia. Crossing the 'border' from Leon into Galicia: dry as a bone into pouring rain. But it didn't rain as much as it had the last two times I had walked. Be prepared (rain gear--poncho and pack cover for me) and just go!

I began walking 1 October 2016, and finished 10 November. It was so absolutely glorious...
--HOT days, with blue skies and rusty red and yellow leaves on trees.
--Until O'Cebreiro, no rain at all. I walked on two or three days when it was rainy, and one day when I felt cold. Otherwise, it was beautiful.
--Plenty of friendly pilgrims, but not too many. Often, I couldn't see anyone for miles.
--Hospitaleros were very kind, and although it was the end of the season, they were still quite hospitable!

I'm going again...this fall. I will be on Camino from the last week of September through a few weeks, and am GREATLY anticipating it.

Buen Camino :)

Kati - I as well am returning to the Frances in October - i will be walking with a young man who has epilepsy. I would like to connect. Cheers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the CF the last few days of September through October 2016. Approximately 4 hours of the five weeks was in the rain, and I wore shorts and a t-shirt 95% of the time. It's a great time to be on the Camino. Enjoy!

Glad to hear comments so positive about walking the Camino in October. I'm sure I will love to be there in that time of the year.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back