• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances in September

Pirsing

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned Camino Frances/Ivierno (Sep 2022)
Hi there.
Im starting my first Camino Frances on 15 september and have a couple questions.

1. Should i take a warm sleeping bag or just a liner to sleep in albergues? And do i need to bring warm clothes in september - first half of october? I checked weather and it says its hot in sep-oct on Camino Frances route.

2. The 10% rule of backpack weight includes water and snacks or without it?

Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We did the CF in 2 halves during Sept 2018 & 19. It was really hot - only a silk sheet was needed. We took more than we needed the first year - and sent it home from Pamplona - like thousands of others.

I bought light weight foods to carry like pork rinds, cured meats, nuts - but there are plenty of places to buy food, drinks and snacks should you run out/need more. Apart from one or two sections on the route - water fountains are regularly available for top ups. I took 2x600ml bottles, one with electrolytes, one plain water.

Happy planning! 👍👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I ended up purchasing a sleeping bag just over half way on the Frances around the beginning of October as my silk liner and blankets weren't warm enough by then. Nothing worse then being cold all night. Some albergues didn't have blankets so I put all clothes on to sleep in until I purchased sleeping bag.
I started 6am and would have long sleeve and jacket. By 9am jacket would be off and either short sleeve or long sleeve shirt was enough.
Buen Camino

The Spanish Meteorological Service, AEMET, is a good source of objective climate information. This link (https://www.aemet.es/en/servicioscl...icos/valoresclimatologicos?l=1428&k=undefined) is to the standard values for Santiago Airport. Note that these are average values, so half of the time, minimum temperatures will be lower, and maximums higher.

On the 10% guidance, the first time that I saw it, it was bare pack weight, ie without any consumables. My view is that it works in summer, but you might need to carry a little more than that in spring and autumn, and a lot more if you were walking in winter.

I advocate using a from the skin out (FSO) approach rather than merely pack weight. You here is a link to one my earlier posts on this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-10-rule.14786/#post-115449.

I took 2x600ml bottles
Oh, good to know. Here in Israel i take 2x2litres bottles for a day hike. If there is a lot of water fountains on the way, ill take smaller bottles.
I ended up purchasing a sleeping bag just over half way on the Frances around the beginning of October as my silk liner and blankets weren't warm enough by then
I think ill do same. Will bring liner and if its get cold, ill buy a simple sleeping bag/blanket.

Thanks all for answers.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there.
Im starting my first Camino Frances on 15 september and have a couple questions.

1. Should i take a warm sleeping bag or just a liner to sleep in albergues? And do i need to bring warm clothes in september - first half of october? I checked weather and it says its hot in sep-oct on Camino Frances route.

Thank you.
On your first question, in 2021 we walked the exact time you will walk - we started in SJPP on 14 September. I think a lot of your answer comes down to whether you tend to be a warm or a cold person. Both my wife and I are thin and tend toward the cold. We took extremely light sleeping bags (good to 50 degrees F) and found them to be perfect. It starts to get pretty chilly at night, and a lot of albergues are unheated. We hit some fairly warm days, but it would typically cool nicely after sunset. But if you're someone who tends be warmer than most, a liner would probably work fine.

I've always used the 10% rule without water and snacks. But it's only a guideline, not hard and fast.

Just my thoughts.

Hello
I walked the same time last year
I had one short sleeve and a very light long sleeve
When it became chilly in the eve and morning which I tend to prefer starting in the dark around 6am it was cooler so I bought a jacket which I only used early morning and eve, never during the day while walking.

I'm happy I waited to purchase sometime after Burgos never needed before.
You will have plenty of opportunities to purchase along the way. I say start ultra light then add if needed enjoy your adventure !

Hi there.

Thank you.
Hi
I have done 4 Caminos walking in April, May, June, July. September and October and have always been warm enough with a liner. You can always put an extra t shirt on if you get cold. I worked on 10% without water and snacks. They are not that heavy. After my first Camino I threw to one side everything I didn't use and this reduced my load by 3.5 kilos and that is all I have carried since. I now work on one to wash, one to wear and one spare. If you suddenly need anything there are plenty of places you can buy things.
Buen Camino
Vince

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there.

Thank you.
Hi there.

Thank you.
My husband and I began our walk from Leon to Santiago, Sept. 17, 2017, age 66. We booked private rooms so can’t comment on the sleeping bag since we didn’t need it but would recommend booking some accommodation ahead if you can as September is normally quite busy on the Camino. We never carried more than water and occasionally a light lunch as there are plenty of places along the Frances to get snacks and refreshments. It was a wonderful time of year to walk and we enjoyed perfect weather almost the entire way. It is so beautiful. Enjoy!!

So much depends on your preference and comfort level. I walked again in September-November 2021 with a light sleeping bag that has a detachable upper blanket. I was way too warm at night yet my friend I walked with was way too cold so she used my blanket. I never did use it again, even on our way to Finisterre in early November. Hopefully being on this side of the covid problem albergues will now be able to offer blankets again if needed.
As for clothing, I walked the entire time in shorts. For cool mornings a long sleeved shirt/light jacket worked fine. Layering to me is the key.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back