• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances July-Aug...questions from a newbie!

RMcDonald

Time of past OR future Camino
July/August 2016
Hello fellow pilgrims!

I am about to experience my very first Camino and are both excited, anxious and ....excited!!
I have been reading, researching, following the Camino de Santiago forum and learning so much! Thank you for posting all of your tips, suggestions and experiences...this has helped tremendously in my planning ...both physically, mentally and emotionally!

Unfortunately, my dates for my pilgrimage sound like it lands smack-dab in the middle of the hottest and busiest time of the year! I think I've decided to walk from SJPP to Burgos, then bus to Santiago, then continue on the Camino Finisterre. But I've also contemplated the Camino Primitivo. Pro's & Con's to this route as my first trek??

Questions I hope you can answer for me ...

• When packing for this time of year (July 21 - Aug 14), should I still pack a fleece and a rain poncho? From what I've read...there does not seem to be rain?? And from what I've read...it will be too hot to need a fleece?? Is this correct??

• What are the temperatures through the Pyrenees at this time of year (July/Aug)? I think I will attempt the Napoleon route and possible stay the night in Orisson Private Albergue. Sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner?? Fleece?? Rain poncho??

• Are reservations recommended due to the time of year I will be going? I don't think I want to add to my anxiety of not knowing if I will have a bed to sleep in or not or having to 'race for a bed'.

I know I will have more questions and I thank you all in advance for helping this newbie on her 'way':)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi There new fellow pilgrim! I think I dont even have to say it but, doesnt matter what is the season you are going for your first camino; I`m pretty sure you will have the time of your life!!!

Do you have a time constraint and thats why you plan to bus from burgos to santiago?

I`m not sure if you care about the compostela. Some people really care about it, some dont... I personally dont care for a piece of paper but, if you WANT the compostela, you may want to bust from burgos to Sarria, and walk from there to santiago as the only way to get a compostela is if you have walked the LAST 100kms ( which IMHO is just a bunch of BS but.. well... Rules are rules).

In terms of temperature... You `ll be all right. A light fleece will be plenty enough... The pyrenees is not that cold at all.. I think people overated its level of dificulty. I find this route lovely and amazingly beautiful but in July/August you wont need to worry about the cold in this stretch... You wont even be able to get lost.. Trust me... A lot of people walking and the way is very well marking.

As for the poncho... Who said there is no rain in this time of year must be very optimistc to say the least... You can wait and see how it goes.... But do expect more than one rainy day!!! I have never been in the camino without getting at least around 7 rainny days...

Im pretty sure other fellow members will be able to provide you with more information about the primitivo. The caminmo to Finisterra is lovely and you cant go wrong choosing to go that way!

Apart from all that, I wish you a buen camino ... Be positive, embrace it, keep walking with your head up hight!

Ultreia i Suseia!

Vagner

Hello fellow pilgrims!

I am about to experience my very first Camino and are both excited, anxious and ....excited!!
I have been reading, researching, following the Camino de Santiago forum and learning so much! Thank you for posting all of your tips, suggestions and experiences...this has helped tremendously in my planning ...both physically, mentally and emotionally!

Unfortunately, my dates for my pilgrimage sound like it lands smack-dab in the middle of the hottest and busiest time of the year! I think I've decided to walk from SJPP to Burgos, then bus to Santiago, then continue on the Camino Finisterre. But I've also contemplated the Camino Primitivo. Pro's & Con's to this route as my first trek??

Questions I hope you can answer for me ...

• When packing for this time of year (July 21 - Aug 14), should I still pack a fleece and a rain poncho? From what I've read...there does not seem to be rain?? And from what I've read...it will be too hot to need a fleece?? Is this correct??

• What are the temperatures through the Pyrenees at this time of year (July/Aug)? I think I will attempt the Napoleon route and possible stay the night in Orisson Private Albergue. Sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner?? Fleece?? Rain poncho??

• Are reservations recommended due to the time of year I will be going? I don't think I want to add to my anxiety of not knowing if I will have a bed to sleep in or not or having to 'race for a bed'.

I know I will have more questions and I thank you all in advance for helping this newbie on her 'way':)

@RMcDonald:
I am wondering where you are from. As a Calgarian, I could never walk in the summer, when you may expect extreme heat. If you are from Medicine Hat, you should be fine. The average daytime high in July/August in Burgos is 28C. Of course , daytime highs may be higher. Be sure to carry lots of water. The average low is 12C so you will want a light fleece. You may complete your walk without rain, but I would very much doubt it. Take a poncho, or if you want to live dangerously, a light rain jacket and a pack cover. It will probably be cool in the Pyrenees, but that is only a day or two of your walk. I take a sleeping bag, but I don't walk in the summer. Many people will recommend just a sleeping bag liner, with blankets available at most albergues, and just wear your warm clothes with the bag liner when you are chilly. I would suggest that, if you want to take a sleeping bag liner, you should try one out before you leave. I was loaned one in New Zealand a couple of years ago and I loathed it - I felt like I was strangling as it twisted around me.
If you want to stay at Orisson, you will have to reserve a place. Very soon would be best. It is seldom necessary to book at Roncesvalles, as the number of beds is large and there is an overflow. After Roncesvalles, you will have to decide whether to book depending on the crowds and the challenges in getting a bed. I didn't book, but I went in the fall. Good luck in your planning. If you are not an experienced backpacker, be sure to consult with Mountain Equipment Co-op for help in selection of gear and guaranteed returns if something does not work out. Happy planning and buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would recommend something hydrophobic, a lightweight windbreaker shell. You can wear those around town, at higher elevations, or when cooler in the morning, even in rain.

Although not a must, a lightweight sleeping bag always gives you comfort regardless of the alberque conditions.

I didn't have to reserve in October. But, July/Aug, yes i would reserve 1-2 days in advance. From what i hear, there is an increase in pilgrims this year. There will be flyers about alberques at the next stop. I always scan through them and ask the locals for recommendation and sometimes have them book a room for me. How is your Spanish? You might want to consider bringing an unlocked phone and get a local sim card for phone calls/emergency.

I walked the Primitivo in June 2014. It is an amazing walk. The highest point (Hospitales) is similar to the pyranese crossing, except you are on the mountain. You need a good 10 days to cover the primitivo. With 3 weeks, are you a fast walker to walk from sjpdp to Burgos then to finistere and the primitivo?

I'll be in SJP on 20 July, so perhaps we will run into each other.

I have done Sarria to Santiago in the past, so I'm not much help with the questions other than to say that you can make due with what ever you have. I've layered clothes, used socks to warm my hands, trash bag poncho, etc. Best advice is just to keep things as light as possible. :)

Hi There new fellow pilgrim! I think I dont even have to say it but, doesnt matter what is the season you are going for your first camino; I`m pretty sure you will have the time of your life!!!

Do you have a time constraint and thats why you plan to bus from burgos to santiago?

I`m not sure if you care about the compostela. Some people really care about it, some dont... I personally dont care for a piece of paper but, if you WANT the compostela, you may want to bust from burgos to Sarria, and walk from there to santiago as the only way to get a compostela is if you have walked the LAST 100kms ( which IMHO is just a bunch of BS but.. well... Rules are rules).

In terms of temperature... You `ll be all right. A light fleece will be plenty enough... The pyrenees is not that cold at all.. I think people overated its level of dificulty. I find this route lovely and amazingly beautiful but in July/August you wont need to worry about the cold in this stretch... You wont even be able to get lost.. Trust me... A lot of people walking and the way is very well marking.

As for the poncho... Who said there is no rain in this time of year must be very optimistc to say the least... You can wait and see how it goes.... But do expect more than one rainy day!!! I have never been in the camino without getting at least around 7 rainny days...

Im pretty sure other fellow members will be able to provide you with more information about the primitivo. The caminmo to Finisterra is lovely and you cant go wrong choosing to go that way!

Apart from all that, I wish you a buen camino ... Be positive, embrace it, keep walking with your head up hight!

Ultreia i Suseia!

Vagner

Thank you for your reply Vagner!

Yes...I do have a time constraint unfortunately :( I will be starting July 22 and need to fly out of London on Aug 16th.

And yes...I've thought about the Compostela but I feel I would rather skip the Sarria - de Santiago route due to its high volumes of people during August than get my "piece of paper". I have a feeling I will get "hooked" anyway and want to go back.....I will just plan my next camino in the fall rather than the summer!

So....from the sounds of it....I'm should bring a light fleece and basic poncho. Darn it....thought I would be lucky enough to miss any rain! :(

Thank you again for forwarding your tips and suggestions...definitely helps me with my planning!!

:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@RMcDonald:
I am wondering where you are from. As a Calgarian, I could never walk in the summer, when you may expect extreme heat. If you are from Medicine Hat, you should be fine. The average daytime high in July/August in Burgos is 28C. Of course , daytime highs may be higher. Be sure to carry lots of water. The average low is 12C so you will want a light fleece. You may complete your walk without rain, but I would very much doubt it. Take a poncho, or if you want to live dangerously, a light rain jacket and a pack cover. It will probably be cool in the Pyrenees, but that is only a day or two of your walk. I take a sleeping bag, but I don't walk in the summer. Many people will recommend just a sleeping bag liner, with blankets available at most albergues, and just wear your warm clothes with the bag liner when you are chilly. I would suggest that, if you want to take a sleeping bag liner, you should try one out before you leave. I was loaned one in New Zealand a couple of years ago and I loathed it - I felt like I was strangling as it twisted around me.
If you want to stay at Orisson, you will have to reserve a place. Very soon would be best. It is seldom necessary to book at Roncesvalles, as the number of beds is large and there is an overflow. After Roncesvalles, you will have to decide whether to book depending on the crowds and the challenges in getting a bed. I didn't book, but I went in the fall. Good luck in your planning. If you are not an experienced backpacker, be sure to consult with Mountain Equipment Co-op for help in selection of gear and guaranteed returns if something does not work out. Happy planning and buen camino.

Good morning Albertagirl!!

I am from St. Albert (Edmonton)!!

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes...I am a bit nervous about the heat (and the rain!) I really thought I was going to be lucky and miss the rain....guess not. :(

I have picked up a few things from Atmosphere, but have had second thoughts on the sleeping bag....I think I will return it.

Have you stayed at the Albergue in Orisson? I am quite anxious about where I will be sleeping every night as I don't want to have the worry about whether or not I will get a bed! I want to be reflecting and enjoying the journey not race to the next village so I don't miss out! As much as I would like to just trust and not worry....I guess the time of year I'm going has determined how I need to plan. Do you really think reserving only a couple days in advance is enough time?? I have been contemplating reserving my entire 25 days from home prior to leaving??! This is what I am most anxious about.

Thank you so much Albertagirl! Nice to hear from someone from my neck of the woods!! :p

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would recommend something hydrophobic, a lightweight windbreaker shell. You can wear those around town, at higher elevations, or when cooler in the morning, even in rain.

Although not a must, a lightweight sleeping bag always gives you comfort regardless of the alberque conditions.

I didn't have to reserve in October. But, July/Aug, yes i would reserve 1-2 days in advance. From what i hear, there is an increase in pilgrims this year. There will be flyers about alberques at the next stop. I always scan through them and ask the locals for recommendation and sometimes have them book a room for me. How is your Spanish? You might want to consider bringing an unlocked phone and get a local sim card for phone calls/emergency.

I walked the Primitivo in June 2014. It is an amazing walk. The highest point (Hospitales) is similar to the pyranese crossing, except you are on the mountain. You need a good 10 days to cover the primitivo. With 3 weeks, are you a fast walker to walk from sjpdp to Burgos then to finistere and the primitivo?

Hello fellow Canadian!!

Thank you for your suggestions and tips! I will get myself that windbreaker shell you speak of!
And yes...I have also heard of this increase in pilgrims this year! That is what is making me so nervous! I have thought of booking all of my nights prior to my departure from Canada just so I don't have to worry about racing for a bed.

I do not know any Spanish, but plan to know the basics prior to leaving. So I see your first Camino was the Frances and your second Camino was the Norte/Primivito....would you recommend the Frances to me as my first Camino?? Is the Frances a better choice for getting my "feet wet"?? I am not a hiker....I'm a walker....flat city pathways is what I am used to!! Thoughts??

So, you ask me about my walking speed....is my thoughts of SJPP to Burgos and then Santiago to Finisterre a bit too extreme for my timeframe?? I hope to walk 20km per day...maybe I have calculated things incorrectly? Ideally, I want to enjoy the sights, not rush, have at least 3 rest days along the way?? What do you suggest?? I'd appreciate your thoughts/suggestions :)

Again, thank you for helping this newbie out!! I hope I'm not in over my head!

I'll be in SJP on 20 July, so perhaps we will run into each other.

I have done Sarria to Santiago in the past, so I'm not much help with the questions other than to say that you can make due with what ever you have. I've layered clothes, used socks to warm my hands, trash bag poncho, etc. Best advice is just to keep things as light as possible. :)

Hello Ascensions!

Thankyou for your reply :)

Where are you from?? How far will you be going this time around? Are you going the entire way??

I really want to pack light and I think this will be a challenge for me. What time of year did you do your last Camino from Sarria to Santiago?? With all that I have read....I wish I was going in September!!

Do you know where you will be staying in SJPP yet??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Ascensions!

Thankyou for your reply :)

Where are you from?? How far will you be going this time around? Are you going the entire way??

I really want to pack light and I think this will be a challenge for me. What time of year did you do your last Camino from Sarria to Santiago?? With all that I have read....I wish I was going in September!!

Do you know where you will be staying in SJPP yet??

Technically, I'm in North Carolina right now, however, I've lived all across the U.S. and in Europe.

I'm hoping to go all the way. I have 34 days to go from Saint Jean to Santiago (20 July to 24 August)

Last time I went at the end of October, so I'm a bit indecisive about what to pack this time too. Especially, since I'm coming straight from Graduation in Wales to the Camino. Shorts and leggings is probably what I'm going with. This is what friends have recommended in the past. Footwear is obviously the most important part. Double socks and duct tape worked well last time. I'll probably upgrade to some sort of blister pack too for emergencies.... but yes, from my experience, less is more. You can always buy stuff you need in Spain... and the weight of the backpack can make a huge impact on both your back and feet considering the longevity of this expedition.

Also, IMHO.... I'd walk from Sarria to Santiago to get your Compostella and take the bus from Santiago to Finisterre if you're on a truncated time table. You could start in SJP, skip the middle somewhere, then pick up in Sarria. There's just something about coming over those final hills and walking into Santiago that I'd hate for you to miss.

Technically, I'm in North Carolina right now, however, I've lived all across the U.S. and in Europe.

I'm hoping to go all the way. I have 34 days to go from Saint Jean to Santiago (20 July to 24 August)

Last time I went at the end of October, so I'm a bit indecisive about what to pack this time too. Especially, since I'm coming straight from Graduation in Wales to the Camino. Shorts and leggings is probably what I'm going with. This is what friends have recommended in the past. Footwear is obviously the most important part. Double socks and duct tape worked well last time. I'll probably upgrade to some sort of blister pack too for emergencies.... but yes, from my experience, less is more. You can always buy stuff you need in Spain... and the weight of the backpack can make a huge impact on both your back and feet considering the longevity of this expedition.

Also, IMHO.... I'd walk from Sarria to Santiago to get your Compostella and take the bus from Santiago to Finisterre if you're on a truncated time table. You could start in SJP, skip the middle somewhere, then pick up in Sarria. There's just something about coming over those final hills and walking into Santiago that I'd hate for you to miss.

Thank you again Ascensions!! I will definitely reconsider my start and stop and re-start places. I appreciate your advice!! :)

So....from the sounds of it....I'm should bring a light fleece and basic poncho. Darn it....thought I would be lucky enough to miss any rain! :(
A light fleece and lightweight poncho are perfect. The odds of much rain is slim that time of year. I walked the CF last July and other than one drizzly morning, had no rain on the Camino. I carried a lightweight down jacket and a GoLite poncho--never used either.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello fellow Canadian!!

Thank you for your suggestions and tips! I will get myself that windbreaker shell you speak of!
And yes...I have also heard of this increase in pilgrims this year! That is what is making me so nervous! I have thought of booking all of my nights prior to my departure from Canada just so I don't have to worry about racing for a bed.

I do not know any Spanish, but plan to know the basics prior to leaving. So I see your first Camino was the Frances and your second Camino was the Norte/Primivito....would you recommend the Frances to me as my first Camino?? Is the Frances a better choice for getting my "feet wet"?? I am not a hiker....I'm a walker....flat city pathways is what I am used to!! Thoughts??

So, you ask me about my walking speed....is my thoughts of SJPP to Burgos and then Santiago to Finisterre a bit too extreme for my timeframe?? I hope to walk 20km per day...maybe I have calculated things incorrectly? Ideally, I want to enjoy the sights, not rush, have at least 3 rest days along the way?? What do you suggest?? I'd appreciate your thoughts/suggestions :)

Again, thank you for helping this newbie out!! I hope I'm not in over my head!

If you are a city walker, backpacking is another world altogether. 3 wks seems enough to cover your chosen sections. For a first timer you might want to stick to the Frances.

While the Camino is not a very difficult mountain hike, it is not a walk in the park either. There will be lot of uphill /downhill walking. So, I assume that you are doing some hill training before the start, ideally with your pack on you.

Have you booked at Orisson. If not try asap. That place is always full. If not you need a strategy to tackle the 1500m elevation gain to walk to Ronsevalles in one go.

20km per stage is reasonable, gives you enough time to stop and enjoy the journey. But, take it easy at the beginning until you feel confident your body can handle the distance with ease. The 1st week is always the real training... Take a small daypack with you so you can ship the pack ahead and take some basic essentials (poncho, shell, water snacks etc) for the day.

July/Aug is the busiest, as most Spaniards and Europeans are also on holidays. You don't need to book beds for the entire walk, at most 2-3 stages ahead. The cheaper places fill fast, so worst case you have to pay extra for pension or hotels. Better to book so you don't have to be concerned about arriving on time.

Good morning Albertagirl!!

I am from St. Albert (Edmonton)!!

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes...I am a bit nervous about the heat (and the rain!) I really thought I was going to be lucky and miss the rain....guess not. :(

I have picked up a few things from Atmosphere, but have had second thoughts on the sleeping bag....I think I will return it.

Have you stayed at the Albergue in Orisson? I am quite anxious about where I will be sleeping every night as I don't want to have the worry about whether or not I will get a bed! I want to be reflecting and enjoying the journey not race to the next village so I don't miss out! As much as I would like to just trust and not worry....I guess the time of year I'm going has determined how I need to plan. Do you really think reserving only a couple days in advance is enough time?? I have been contemplating reserving my entire 25 days from home prior to leaving??! This is what I am most anxious about.

Thank you so much Albertagirl! Nice to hear from someone from my neck of the woods!! :p

@RMcDonald:
With your time of year and your time constraints on the route, you are probably better to book ahead. Remember that you cannot stay at many albergues without a credencial (pilgrim passport). So you need to get that even if you are not planning on going on to Santiago to get the Compostela, and it will be your best souvenir of your trip, with stamps from wherever you stay. If you don't get one in advance, you can pick up one in the pilgrim's office in St Jean. Arrange your travel to St Jean Pied de Port first, decide if you want or need to spend a night there, then book a bed at St Jean if you wish to and onward from there. Orisson is the only place on the Napoleon route where you can stay overnight after a reasonable walk up the mountain (about 8 k.). You must book and pay in advance to get a place and space is limited. As soon as you have made your travel arrangements and decided whether to stay in St Jean, you should book Orisson, at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr .They will take bookings in English and French. Then you will receive a bill to pay by Paypal. Keep your emails with Orisson and take them with you, just in case. At Orisson, you will meet other pilgrims starting the same day and introduce yourselves to one another at dinner. It is a great way to start out. There is an alternative route via Valcarlos, not over the top of the mountain, but a pleasant walk and favoured by many. You would be staying at the albergue in Valcarlos, not at Orisson. I don't think you need a booking at Roncesvalles, even in summer. They have a huge capacity and overflow facilities and you can walk on a few kilometres and find a bed in a nearby town. If you prefer, it is possible to book a bed at Roncesvalles. To help you make your bookings on the route, see www.gronze.com/camino-frances . You will see most of the available accommodation on the camino frances, with albergues shown in brown. Go to Etapa 1 and under Roncesvalles you will find the pilgrim albergue at the top. You must book ahead by at least five days to get a booking. Other accommodation is also listed with links to websites. This should get you started. Try not to walk too far at the start, since many pilgrims, especially the young and strong, have overdone it and injured themselves, sometimes ending their caminos. Good luck and buen camino.

Last edited:
A light fleece and lightweight poncho are perfect. The odds of much rain is slim that time of year. I walked the CF last July and other than one drizzly morning, had no rain on the Camino. I carried a lightweight down jacket and a GoLite poncho--never used either.

Buen Camino!

Morning BrienC!

Thank you for the suggestions! I think the light fleece and light poncho is the way to go from your reply and others. I'm glad to have found someone who has walked thru the summer as it seems to be so different from the other months of the year on the Camino. I hope you don't mind if I bother you with more questions in the next few weeks!!
Have an awesome day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@RMcDonald:
With your time of year and your time constraints on the route, you are probably better to book ahead. Remember that you cannot stay at many albergues without a credencial (pilgrim passport). So you need to get that even if you are not planning on going on to Santiago to get the Compostela, and it will be your best souvenir of your trip, with stamps from wherever you stay. If you don't get one in advance, you can pick up one in the pilgrim's office in St Jean. Arrange your travel to St Jean Pied de Port first, decide if you want or need to spend a night there, then book a bed at St Jean if you wish to and onward from there. Orisson is the only place on the Napoleon route where you can stay overnight after a reasonable walk up the mountain (about 8 k.). You must book and pay in advance to get a place and space is limited. As soon as you have made your travel arrangements and decided whether to stay in St Jean, you should book Orisson, at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr .They will take bookings in English and French. Then you will receive a bill to pay by Paypal. Keep your emails with Orisson and take them with you, just in case. At Orisson, you will meet other pilgrims starting the same day and introduce yourselves to one another at dinner. It is a great way to start out. There is an alternative route via Valcarlos, not over the top of the mountain, but a pleasant walk and favoured by many. You would be staying at the albergue in Valcarlos, not at Orisson. I don't think you need a booking at Roncesvalles, even in summer. They have a huge capacity and overflow facilities and you can walk on a few kilometres and find a bed in a nearby town. If you prefer, it is possible to book a bed at Roncesvalles. To help you make your bookings on the route, see www.gronze.com/camino-frances . You will see most of the available accommodation on the camino frances, with albergues shown in brown. Go to Etapa 1 and under Roncesvalles you will find the pilgrim albergue at the top. You must book ahead by at least five days to get a booking. Other accommodation is also listed with links to websites. This should get you started. Try not to walk too far at the start, since many pilgrims, especially the young and strong, have overdone it and injured themselves, sometimes ending their caminos. Good luck and buen camino.

Good morning fellow Albertan!
Wow!! Thank you for all this valuable information! I will book St Jean and Orisson today! I will check out the website for accommodations along the Camino Frances.....this is just what I need!

I appreciate your help and advice!

Have an awesome day!!

I hope you don't mind if I bother you with more questions in the next few weeks!!
Check out the packing list on our website (link at top of page). That may (most likely) prompt more questions.

Happy planning!

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back