• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances late March

pennyinyk

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (April 2017)
We are planning to start walking from SJPP around March 27. Would appreciate any advice on what we might expect in terms of conditions and any other pertinent advice. We are two 60's women from northern Canada, so we can take a little cold - we've less experience with hiking in the rain. Also, hearing that accommodations may be unreliable before Easter? Many thanks for any advice!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
less experience with hiking in the rain. Also, hearing that accommodations may be unreliable before Easter?
Expect snow in the Pyrenees. Many accommodations will not open until Easter week, but in places with more than one albergue, usually one will be open. Nothing will be open in the smaller villages (coffee, bar, tienda, etc.). Plan food, water, and rest accordingly.

We are planning to start walking from SJPP around March 27. Would appreciate any advice on what we might expect in terms of conditions and any other pertinent advice. We are two 60's women from northern Canada, so we can take a little cold - we've less experience with hiking in the rain. Also, hearing that accommodations may be unreliable before Easter? Many thanks for any advice!

Pennyink:

Weather is very unpredictable. While there has been snow the last few years, I walked the Napoleon route on March 23 in 2010 and 2011 and there was no snow. The Napoleon route will be closed, at least until April 1st, so you will be going the Val Carlos route.

While some Albergues do not open until April 1st, we never had any problems finding Albergue accomodation the entire route. There is also a variety of other accommodation. I recommend you look at a guide like Brierley's or go to the Gronze.com website.

The mornings will be cold and you will have some rain. Good rain gear is necessary.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Should you presevere, you will also experience Semana Santa, Easter Holy Week is a marvelous time to be on the Camino - processions, celebrations, festivals, special masses, a-n-d a dramatic rise in the number of people walking with you. Past weather patterns don't mean anything anymore and yes it will be cold. You will arrive a bit early for the incredible blooming of wildflowers alongside the Camino, early too for fruit trees, and wisteria - the poor miserable looking sticks in the fields will gradualy bud, sprout and turn into lovely vineyards day by day - winter wheat/barley will be ankle high as you start and grow dramatically also day by day. Town and village gardens will be lovely however, expect lilies, pansies, iris, often planted togeter! Bring your long johns and enjoy everything!

Early morning, cold, walking fast to stay warm, the sun at your back - your arfe walking into the West - and your shadow falls onto a wheat field - your body heat rises and the shadow cast reflects the heat creating a halo. Watch for it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did the Valcarlos way in late March, some years ago. Arrived in the morning to SJPP, walked 4 hrs to Valcarlos, stayed in the municipal albergue. Next day, 5 pleasant hours to Roncesvalles. Not difficult at all...
It was cold (0-5 C in the morning), a bit warmer later. Some occasional light rain. The last section to Ibañeta, by the forest, was muddy in some parts, but perfectly doable. Consult the weather reports some days before your trip.
It was lonely, just another pilgrim (there will be more now, since the Napoleon route is closed until April 1)
Buen camino!

I walked late March last year. Just missed Napoleon Route which opened April 1st. I didn't stop for the night at Valcarlos so walked to Roncesvalles from SJPDP on my first day. I wouldn't recommend it - you'll get stronger after a week or so but that was a hard first day for me and I had trained a lot. Late snow last year so cold, wet, muddy, snowy at top of the climb at Roncesvalles. If weather is bad or foggy you can take the road for the last, steepest, maybe coldest bit. If there's still snow on the ground it will be pretty cool in the shade. It was warm around midday in the open. It also got warmer once I headed down towards Zubiri. I don't know if there's a long range weather forecast for this year. First few days can be cool mornings, lots of shade in the forest/valley up towards Roncesvalles, take gloves and a scarf. Don't get dehydrated - easy to do even if it's cool. You'll get used to proper hydration later on but it will be easy to get that wrong on those first days. Do a last minute weather check at the pilgrim office at SJPDP and get a map so you get off the main road ASAP just after SJPDP. Last year, some people got into trouble in foggy weather on the last bit of the climb up towards Roncesvalles. So check into the pilgrim office the morning you leave for an update.

From Pamplona on, you'll be cruising.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Edit: After a few days walking if you find you need some extra key bits of gear try Caminoteca in Pamplona.

Last edited by a moderator:

yes to all of the above - walking before april 1st may entail a little more homework + our springs have been late these last years, especially in northern spain

good luck and Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Expect snow in the Pyrenees. Many accommodations will not open until Easter week, but in places with more than one albergue, usually one will be open. Nothing will be open in the smaller villages (coffee, bar, tienda, etc.). Plan food, water, and rest accordingly.
Thank you - appreciate your advice.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked late March last year. Just missed Napoleon Route which opened April 1st. I didn't stop for the night at Valcarlos so walked to Roncesvalles from SJPDP on my first day. I wouldn't recommend it - you'll get stronger after a week or so but that was a hard first day for me and I had trained a lot. Late snow last year so cold, wet, muddy, snowy at top of the climb at Roncesvalles. If weather is bad or foggy you can take the road for the last, steepest, maybe coldest bit. If there's still snow on the ground it will be pretty cool in the shade. It was warm around midday in the open. It also got warmer once I headed down towards Zubiri. I don't know if there's a long range weather forecast for this year. First few days can be cool mornings, lots of shade in the forest/valley up towards Roncesvalles, take gloves and a scarf. Don't get dehydrated - easy to do even if it's cool. You'll get used to proper hydration later on but it will be easy to get that wrong on those first days. Do a last minute weather check at the pilgrim office at SJPDP and get a map so you get off the main road ASAP just after SJPDP. Last year, some people got into trouble in foggy weather on the last bit of the climb up towards Roncesvalles. So check into the pilgrim office the morning you leave for an update.

From Pamplona on, you'll be cruising.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Edit: After a few days walking if you find you need some extra key bits of gear try Caminoteca in Pamplona.
Thanks for these helpful tips, Mike. We won't be trying to set any speed records so will take it easy at the start, and be mindful of hydration, as you suggest.

I did the Valcarlos way in late March, some years ago. Arrived in the morning to SJPP, walked 4 hrs to Valcarlos, stayed in the municipal albergue. Next day, 5 pleasant hours to Roncesvalles. Not difficult at all...
It was cold (0-5 C in the morning), a bit warmer later. Some occasional light rain. The last section to Ibañeta, by the forest, was muddy in some parts, but perfectly doable. Consult the weather reports some days before your trip.
It was lonely, just another pilgrim (there will be more now, since the Napoleon route is closed until April 1)
Buen camino!
Thank you, Felipe - it's minus 30 today where I live so anything warmer than -10 is like a spring day!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
March/April 2011 was 29 - 30 degrees Celsius on the Norte. I am not sure what the Frances was. But if it is unseasonably warm, you can buy shorts along the way. The convenience of the Camino is that you walk through a few cities and can get what you don't take.

Where are you from in the Yukon?

Kathy (from Vancouver)

The weather in Spain in the spring reminds me of living in the western high plain of Colorado, it snows but it's quick to melt, the rain can be much like Victoria real heavy, & can last for days. But for the most part it will be warm during the day & rain at night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The weather in Spain in the spring reminds me of living in the western high plain of Colorado, it snows but it's quick to melt, the rain can be much like Victoria real heavy, & can last for days. But for the most part it will be warm during the day & rain at night.

Thanks, MT - appreciate your helpful advice. As we say in the north, there's no bad weather, just poor clothing choices!

Rain-wise, be sure to bring a backpack cover and an actual rain jacket, not just a poncho. Ponchos are a nightmare on windy days (so, all the time in the mountainous areas) and the plastic doesn't dry out quickly.

Buen Camino from Montreal!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Rain-wise, be sure to bring a backpack cover and an actual rain jacket, not just a poncho. Ponchos are a nightmare on windy days (so, all the time in the mountainous areas) and the plastic doesn't dry out quickly.

Buen Camino from Montreal!
Thanks, Chloe!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back