• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances (Leon) or Camino Portugues for a first time camino?

amc592

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino for 2-2.5 weeks in June
Hello Everyone!

I am graduating from veterinary school and I am planning my first Camino at the end of June/early July. I was planning a Camino for 2-2.5 week. I was interested in doing the Camino Portogues (Porto) or the Camino Frances (Leon). I would like to end the journey in Santiago and can adjust my starting point as needed. I am looking to experience beautiful scenery, culture and meet some people along the way. I am not sure which route to choose, and would love to get some perspective on the pros and cons of each route. Any advice is welcome! Thank you all!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My first camino was Leon to Santiago, which I loved so much I section walked the rest of the camino frances over a couple of years. It was a great city to start in, provided some easy walking days to get warmed up, and encountered some key points of the Frances at Cruz ferro and O'cebreiro.
I also walked the Portuguese, (from Lisbon) in sections. I also really enjoyed this route! Enjoyed the Portugues food, pastel de natas were perfect coffee break snacks. And you get to enjoy two countries. Worth walking out of Porto on the river/coastal route even if you switch over to the central at Vila do Conde. And this may also give you the option to walk onto Muxia or Finisterre if that is of interest to you.
Truthfully either is a great route! But the last 100km on Frances from Sarria can be busy and noisy with lots of extra pilgrims which can be a bit of shock to the system but adds a different component.
I don't think either is a bad choice!

In 2017 I walked the CP from Porto (Central route), followed (after a break in London) by the CF from Leon to SdC. I loved both "short" Caminos. As a first Camino experience I would probably lean ever so slightly towards the CF from Leon. Whichever you choose I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2016 my wife and I walked the CF from Leon to Santiago, and in 2018 we walked the CP from Porto. On the CP we switched to the central at at Vila do Conde -- we live in Florida and have lots of beach time.

Be warned that whatever one you pick first, you will do the other next, and then....I am doing the Primitivo starting April 29 from Oviedo.

I think the CF was a great first camino with lots of great sites and you can share the experience with many more past and current walkers. The CP was a lot less crowded and the food in Portugal was amazing. I read an article on the plane '40 Portuguese pastries to eat before you die'. In Spain you get toast.

Here are a couple Blog posts if you are interested.

Hello Everyone!

I am graduating from veterinary school and I am planning my first Camino at the end of June/early July. I was planning a Camino for 2-2.5 week. I was interested in doing the Camino Portogues (Porto) or the Camino Frances (Leon). I would like to end the journey in Santiago and can adjust my starting point as needed. I am looking to experience beautiful scenery, culture and meet some people along the way. I am not sure which route to choose, and would love to get some perspective on the pros and cons of each route. Any advice is welcome! Thank you all!
I have done both and recommend Leon to Santiago.

Hello Everyone!

Leon is a great place to start, and the first few days will ease you into it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh, the places you'll go! I walked Ponferrada to Santiago in 2013 and Porto to SdeC in 2017. My heart is in Portugal. I envy you your choices. Vaya con Dios.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back