• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances, May 2020

chybcam

Chyna
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPdP - May 2020
Hi everyone. I will be walking my first Camino mid-May, arriving in Biarritz on the 13th from Stanstead.

This is my first trip alone and my first hiking trip altogether so I'm both excited and trying not to forget something in planning....(insurance, ect) - I'm going to camp some of the Camino to save money.

Does anyone have experience camping the way with a 33L? I'm thinking of using the Gossamer Ultralight 3-season - which I'll need a hiking pole for... Are there stores around Biarritz or SJPdP to buy hiking poles/multi-tools/blades? I wanted to avoid airport trouble since they won't be allowed on board

Thank you in advance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SJPP is a small place, enjoy wandering around, a map is not needed. Just ask at the Pilgrims office if you can’t find it. ( in the old town, just one long street)

I walked the Portugues and part of the Frances carrying a Deuter 32L pack. This was during August and I found the pack size to be sufficient. I would say maybe set the pack up so as to lash your tent and ground pad on the exterior of it if possible to give you extra room inside as walking in May you may very well need some rain gear and a fleece or puffy jacket.
Trekking poles are about 20 euro a pair in Saint Jean, if I remember correctly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You may benefit from searching the forum for "camping". I know nothing about camping on the Frances except overhearing a conversation between a potential camper and the Hospitalero at Zabaldika.

The camper was told firmly that "no" they could not camp in the grounds. Some albergues do allow camping and on some parts of the Camino free camping is prohibited, but I don't know where.

I agree with Doughnut. You should definitely research your decision about camping. It can be difficult and lonely. Camping either is not permitted or you need to get permission if you are on private land. There are albergues that allow camping on their property. You can't light fires, cook etc. There are alot of inexpensive choices for places to sleep. If you go on Gronze.com and download Wise Pilgrim or Buen Camino app you will get a wide range of places to stay as well as prices. There are alot of donativos and municipal albergues that will cost you less than10Euros in many cases. You can shop for food and eat at the albergue. When you are in the albergue you can always find people to cook with and share expenses and have priceless memories. Camping at night can be lonely and you have to contend with weather also. Please reconsider this choice. As a dad of young women your age I always worry about women's safety also. The Camino is very safe but at night and being alone as I would say to my girls, "Why tempt fate?" Have a great camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From snippets of conversations I overheard, and observations I made along the CF in May of 2017, camping was discouraged, if not outright prohibited in many places. Trudging every day with a pack that contains most of the items one would need for a back country adventure will soon get old. The lighter, the better. I echo the sentiments of It56ny and Doughnut. Every now and then geezers know of what they speak. . .

Despite all the research that people do, they don't seem to realize that the Camino de Santiago is not a wilderness experience. Any camping that is done is often in violation of the local rules. We are guests in a foreign country and should respect those rules about camping on private property.
Also along the Camino they are no outhouses or public bathroom facilities. Any of the rest areas only have garbage cans and tables. I find it sad that people use the surrounding bushes for a bathroom and then leave their toilet paper and other disgusting things so close to where people want a picnic (especially since the garbage cans are there. I've seen people set up tents in those rest areas along side a no camping sign.
If if you haven't already bought the tent you mentioned, you will save more money staying at the albergues than the price of the tent.
That that being said, if you're fluent in Spanish and an expert in stealth camping you will probably do just fine. I met a woman from Estonia that carried only a silver emergency blanket and walked until dark after eating dinner with other pilgrims and on nice nights spread her emergency blanket out under the stars and then left as soon as it was light.
I admired her when I watched the amazing sunrise at Fisterra near the lighthouse when she came out from behind a building. I had paid for a room at the hotel. I almost envied her adventure except the hotel had huge windows and I was able to watch the lighthouse light shine and see the moon myself from my room.

Hi everyone. I will be walking my first Camino mid-May, arriving in Biarritz on the 13th from Stanstead.

This is my first trip alone and my first hiking trip altogether so I'm both excited and trying not to forget something in planning....(insurance, ect) - I'm going to camp some of the Camino to save money.

Does anyone have experience camping the way with a 33L? I'm thinking of using the Gossamer Ultralight 3-season - which I'll need a hiking pole for... Are there stores around Biarritz or SJPdP to buy hiking poles/multi-tools/blades? I wanted to avoid airport trouble since they won't be allowed on board

Thank you in advance
Have a great camino. I too am starting around the 12th of May from Pamplona and am going it alone. your very brave to add the camping.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do not be put off on advice not to bring the tent. It only weights what?...about 600 grams? Not much at all and you are young. Should not be a problem and if you decide not to use it, nothing lost, nothing gained. Leave it in the pack. Not like you are asking whether or not to haul around a kitchen sink with you, lol. Besides, I have seen pilgrims carrying full blown rain parka setups on summer Caminos when it did not rain the entire month. Combine that with a rain cover for the pack and you have hauled around a lot of stuff you never used.
Without a doubt you will befriend other pilgrims your age you will walk with. Some may even be tent campers as well.
On every Camino I walked I saw tent camping pilgrims. I never saw one hassled about doing it, and I am sure you will leave no trace and have no fires. Just be reasonable, respectful, considerate and careful.
ultreia

Thank you in advance
I walked the CF in 2018. Met a fellow who, after spending one night in a dorm with what he referred to as an "Olympic Snorer" he never stayed in a dorm again. He would check into an albergue, pay whatever fee was required, use the facilities, wash clothes, eat, and then just before the doors were locked for the night, he would leave. He'd get back on the path, find a place somewhere along the way, and bed down there. Easier, and possibly less riskier, for a guy than a gal, but it can be done. Best wishes.

Yes, a good solution but if you are trying to save money by camping doesn't it defeat the purpose??

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oops - I hadn't got any email notifications about any replies, but thanks for the feedback everyone I appreciate the reponses.

Decided I won't camp after all which is probably for the best - but I will definitely check out the shops/resources mentioned in this thread. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back