• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Francés May 2022

Time of past OR future Camino
planing the camino May/June 2022
I am starting the Camino Frances May 16th, that's the plan anyways. This is a first camino for me. I am from Alberta, Canada and have some basic experience with day hikes and back country backpacking in both Jasper and Banff national park. I currently have my pack weighing in at 15lbs and I am working on shaving it down to 12lbs. My hope is to be completed by June 21 but My flight home isn't booked until June 27th so I feel I do have some flexibility. The roller coaster of excitement, anxiety and jitters are starting to percolate. Here is a pick of my training buddy. His name is Ludo he is a Mastiff Lab cross and LOVES adventures. He is staying home...lol

Attachments

• 188148DE-E219-416E-BA14-67541380665E_1_201_a.jpeg
    188148DE-E219-416E-BA14-67541380665E_1_201_a.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 133
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am starting the Camino Frances May 16th, that's the plan anyways. This is a first camino for me. I am from Alberta, Canada and have some basic experience with day hikes and back country backpacking in both Jasper and Banff national park. I currently have my pack weighing in at 15lbs and I am working on shaving it down to 12lbs. My hope is to be completed by June 21 but My flight home isn't booked until June 27th so I feel I do have some flexibility. The roller coaster of excitement, anxiety and jitters are starting to percolate. Here is a pick of my training buddy. His name is Ludo he is a Mastiff Lab cross and LOVES adventures. He is staying home...lolView attachment 113634
Ludo is a handsome boy indeed.
You should do fine in that time frame and all your emotions are completely normal.
Enjoy the training, planning and anticipation. And once there savour every moment. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started walking my first Camino on May 14th (2019). Like you, i only had experience day-hiking. Admittetly, I had many concerns before starting. Most of them turned out to be only theoretical and i had a great time and arrived in Santiago on June 16th.
If things go really well, i'll be starting again on May 14th next year.

Anyways, if you got any questions, feel free to ask.
And make sure to get that backpack down to 12lbs at least. 10lbs would be better.

I am starting the Camino Frances May 16th, that's the plan anyways. This is a first camino for me. I am from Alberta, Canada and have some basic experience with day hikes and back country backpacking in both Jasper and Banff national park. I currently have my pack weighing in at 15lbs and I am working on shaving it down to 12lbs. My hope is to be completed by June 21 but My flight home isn't booked until June 27th so I feel I do have some flexibility. The roller coaster of excitement, anxiety and jitters are starting to percolate. Here is a pick of my training buddy. His name is Ludo he is a Mastiff Lab cross and LOVES adventures. He is staying home...lolView attachment 113634
What a lovely dog! If you haven't already done so I recommend joining the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. And if you are near Edmonton or Calgary there are local chapters. This organization has many resources including a CCoP pilgrim passport. I live in Northern BC, about 600 km from Edmonton but I always try to join the Edmonton chapter for group walks and, in the past, group meetings whenever I am there. Happy planning!

Hi Amy
On my first Camino my pack was 13 kilos (27lbs) and I thought I had done pretty well. When I came home, I threw to one side everything that I didn't use and for my next three I carried 7 kilos (15lbs). 12 lbs seems really ambitious to me but good luck to you if you can manage it. Remember if you need anything there are plenty of places on the Camino that you will be able to buy stuff so don't worry if you under pack.
Buen Camino
Vince

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Amy,

I'll be a week or so ahead of you at the start an a day ahead of you at the end. I'm planning a slower hike than many others because I have plenty of time. I plan on averaging about 12 miles per day with a rest day after about every 7 days of hiking (TBD). My goal is to reach Santiago on my 65th birthday (June 20). I also plan to continue onto Finisterra after a day of rest in Santiago.

I have yet to pull together my "desired" pack and weigh it in. I've been mostly working on a "desired" packing list. This week I'll probably start putting things together into a preliminary pack to get an initial weigh and adjust from there. I also need to see if I can get it all to fit in my 28L pack, or if I need to purchase a larger one.

Buen Camino!

May 16 to June 21 is the plan but my flight home isn't until the 27th of June so I have flexibility.

I start on the 3rd

I'll be a week or so ahead of you
If any of you would like to be included on the list of pilgrims starting in May, go over to this thread, and add a post with your date and starting point. Then, moderators can easily see the information and add you to the list in the first post. (We are deleting the individual posts regularly, to make the thread easier to manage.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm arriving in SJPdP May16 and starting on the 17th heading to Orisson the first day. Love your training partner! I have a 75 pound lab/rottie mix who enourages me.

What a lovely dog! If you haven't already done so I recommend joining the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. And if you are near Edmonton or Calgary there are local chapters. This organization has many resources including a CCoP pilgrim passport. I live in Northern BC, about 600 km from Edmonton but I always try to join the Edmonton chapter for group walks and, in the past, group meetings whenever I am there. Happy planning!
You can't be to far from me then, I'm from GP. and yes I've joined the Edmonton chapter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi fellow Canadians - I am from Montreal and am starting the Camino Frances on May 14th - can't wait - completely understand the jitters - very much looking forward to this adventure of a lifetime !

I'm arriving in SJPdP May16 and starting on the 17th heading to Orisson the first day. Love your training partner! I have a 75 pound lab/rottie mix who enourages me.
Hi - I am also arriving SJPdP May 16 and (fingers crossed) heading to the Orisson on the 17th - it they reply to my booking request. Walking the first 10 days with my twenty-two year-old daughter so if you see two Brits with dark curly hair give us a wave. I have two airedales but they are not enthusiastic about my longer walks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi - I am also arriving SJPdP May 16 and (fingers crossed) heading to the Orisson on the 17th - it they reply to my booking request. Walking the first 10 days with my twenty-two year-old daughter so if you see two Brits with dark curly hair give us a wave. I have two airedales but they are not enthusiastic about my longer walks!
Very good! I'll look for you. I'm a dark-headed Texan.

if you see an awkward Canadian sporting a maroon pack asking what she got herself in to, stop me and say hi.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.