• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Michelin Restaurant Guide 2019

arild hauge

Time of past OR future Camino
On the Camino since 2012
The MICHELIN Guide has announced its Spain & Portugal 2019 Selection. Good news for famished Frances peregrinos; with additional starred restaurant in Santiago as well as in Logrono and Leon; also the Molino de Urdaniz near Zubiri elevated to 2 stars!.

Altogether there are now 14 Michelin-starred restaurants available on or within few Km of CF. If you are prepared to consume food with lesser praise of Michelin Inspectors; the ‘Bib Gourmand’ and ‘Plate’ award categories bring 40 more restaurants into play; on more than half the CF stages you are now within short walk or taxi-ride reach of acclaimed food. Amongst these there are places you can eat for not much more than usual Bocadillo or “Menu del Dia”!.

You have them all listed (and linked) below; I also include an overview of the rating system.

Pilgrims on Camino Norte are of course more fortunate; with route through Basque Province being the finest gastronomic territory on earth; with density of top-rated restaurants only matched by Paris/New York/Tokyo; including several with 3 stars, so sadly yet lacking on CF. At that finer end a tasting menu is 220 Euro p/p or more (needless to say, drinks in addition).

Buen Camino!

Michelin Rated Restaurants on Camino Frances by Stage and Category
(Note: Stage numbers E0-E33 based on ‘Etapas’ from www.gronze.com. Restaurants are on or within 1-2 km of CF waymarking, anywhere within towns on CF route; additionally (in brackets) starred restaurants up to 25km from CF route elsewhere. Restaurant rating system is explained in separate table below).

E0: St. Jean Pied-de-Port: * Les Pyrénées
E3: Huarte: P: Asador Zubiando
E3: Ilarratz/Urdaitz: ** El Molino de Urdaniz
E4: Pamplona: * Rodero * Europa B Abaco P Letyana P Baserriberri P Enekorri P Alhambra P Guria P Bodegón Sarria
E7: Logrono: * Ikaro * Kiro Sushi B La Cocina de Ramón P Umm P La Galeria P Tastavin P Tondeluna
E8: (Bodega Marques de Riscal, 24km Logrono): * Restaurante Marqués de Riscal
E8: (Moncalvillo, 10km Navarrete): * Venta Moncalvillo
E9: Santo Domingo de la Calzada: P Los Caballeros
E10: (Ezkaray, 14km Santo Domingo de la Calzada): ** El Portal P Casa Masip : Echaurren Tradición
E12: Burgos: * Cobo Vintage B La Fábrica P Puerta Real P Blue Gallery P Casa Ojeda P La Favorita
E15: Fromista: P Hosteria de los Palmeros
E17: Villacázar de Sirga: P Mesón de Villasirga
E20: Leon: * Cocinandos * Pablo B Becook B LAV P Koi P Clandestino
E22: Astorga: B Las Termas
E23: Castrillo de los Polvazares: P Casa Coscolo
E25: Carracedelo: P La Tronera
E25: (Palacio de Canedo, 7km Cacabelos): B Palacio de Canedo
E33: Santiago de Campostella: * Casa Marcelo * A Tafona B A Horta d’Obradoiro B Ghalpón Abastos B Café de Altamira P Manso P Auga e Sal P A Maceta P Taberna Abastos P Don Quijote P Pedro Roca
1544379458795.png

Attachments

• The Michelin Guide to Camino Frances 2019.pdf
    287.3 KB · Views: 180
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Off the Camino Frances on the justly obscure Camino Castellano Aragonese, I found the three-toque La Boveda in Borja to be excellent. The menu de dia (18e) started me off with a revuelto of wild mushrooms, then with pork tenderloin in port sauce, and perhaps one of the best desserts I've tasted in Spain, made with local raspberries. The wine was Campo de Borja, the vineyards of which I had trudged through earlier that day. They were pleased to receive a pilgrim, and the chef came out to greet me and provide me with a very healthy shot of brandy as the first pilgrim for whom he had cooked; there is a sello in my credencial to commemorate the meal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK, nice try and contribution to the forum. I guess there's a target market for it but I just can't picture myself as a walker/pilgrim (left alone the prices of course which I can't meet) going into a Michellin star restaurant (yeah, yeah, I know you need a reservation years in advance...) in my spare shorts and flip flops.

Actually when I walk I usually don't even visit the museums. For me it's a touristy thing, kind of, which I would do another time in anothe circumstances. And my time on Camino is better spend just sitting in front of the village bar and watch life goes by while having one cold beer after the other :)

Well, it's surprising who they let in! I was a walk-in, in dusty shorts and sweat-stained Tilley, with the parfum of the dusty hills of Castile. I prefer to sit on the outside tables (none this time) and have frequently done so at upscale Spanish restaurants, mochilla sitting beside me-- as in churches, purposeful and courteous pilgrims are received with much hospitality in Spain. But, to quote a Californian pilgrim with whom I walked, these places ain't no donativo.

OK, nice try and contribution to the forum. I guess there's a target market for it but I just can't picture myself as a walker/pilgrim (left alone the prices of course which I can't meet) going into a Michellin star restaurant (yeah, yeah, I know you need a reservation years in advance...) in my spare shorts and flip flops.

Actually when I walk I usually don't even visit the museums. For me it's a touristy thing, kind of, which I would do another time in anothe circumstances. And my time on Camino is better spend just sitting in front of the village bar and watch life goes by while having one cold beer after the other :)

Kinky ...do take into consideration that the Michelin rated food in Spain is only a fraction of the price of the Micheling restos here in the north!
And like Oursonpolaire says : it is surprising who they let in.

Even more the fixed lunchmenus in these kind of places seldom cost more than a mediocre lunch in a so called gastropub outside Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I appreciated this information. However, I am a post-morbidly obese person who transitioned from living to eat to eating to live. Sigh...

Now, haute cuisine to me while on Camino, is a fresh warm, fragrant bread with ham and cheese. I dream of the perfect boccadillo...

I just can't picture myself as a walker/pilgrim going into a Michellin star restaurant in my spare shorts and flip flops.

it is surprising who they let in.

In Burgos a walking companion and I were looking for somwhere to sit down. We walked into a pleasant looking place with well dressed diners and staff who totally looked through us.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The MICHELIN Guide has announced its Spain & Portugal 2019 Selection. Good news for famished Frances peregrinos; with additional starred restaurant in Santiago as well as in Logrono and Leon; also the Molino de Urdaniz near Zubiri elevated to 2 stars!.

Altogether there are now 14 Michelin-starred restaurants available on or within few Km of CF. If you are prepared to consume food with lesser praise of Michelin Inspectors; the ‘Bib Gourmand’ and ‘Plate’ award categories bring 40 more restaurants into play; on more than half the CF stages you are now within short walk or taxi-ride reach of acclaimed food. Amongst these there are places you can eat for not much more than usual Bocadillo or “Menu del Dia”!.

You have them all listed (and linked) below; I also include an overview of the rating system.

Pilgrims on Camino Norte are of course more fortunate; with route through Basque Province being the finest gastronomic territory on earth; with density of top-rated restaurants only matched by Paris/New York/Tokyo; including several with 3 stars, so sadly yet lacking on CF. At that finer end a tasting menu is 220 Euro p/p or more (needless to say, drinks in addition).

Buen Camino!

Michelin Rated Restaurants on Camino Frances by Stage and Category
(Note: Stage numbers E0-E33 based on ‘Etapas’ from www.gronze.com. Restaurants are on or within 1-2 km of CF waymarking, anywhere within towns on CF route; additionally (in brackets) starred restaurants up to 25km from CF route elsewhere. Restaurant rating system is explained in separate table below).

E0: St. Jean Pied-de-Port: * Les Pyrénées
E3: Huarte: P: Asador Zubiando
E3: Ilarratz/Urdaitz: ** El Molino de Urdaniz
E4: Pamplona: * Rodero * Europa B Abaco P Letyana P Baserriberri P Enekorri P Alhambra P Guria P Bodegón Sarria
E7: Logrono: * Ikaro * Kiro Sushi B La Cocina de Ramón P Umm P La Galeria P Tastavin P Tondeluna
E8: (Bodega Marques de Riscal, 24km Logrono): * Restaurante Marqués de Riscal
E8: (Moncalvillo, 10km Navarrete): * Venta Moncalvillo
E9: Santo Domingo de la Calzada: P Los Caballeros
E10: (Ezkaray, 14km Santo Domingo de la Calzada): ** El Portal P Casa Masip : Echaurren Tradición
E12: Burgos: * Cobo Vintage B La Fábrica P Puerta Real P Blue Gallery P Casa Ojeda P La Favorita
E15: Fromista: P Hosteria de los Palmeros
E17: Villacázar de Sirga: P Mesón de Villasirga
E20: Leon: * Cocinandos * Pablo B Becook B LAV P Koi P Clandestino
E22: Astorga: B Las Termas
E23: Castrillo de los Polvazares: P Casa Coscolo
E25: Carracedelo: P La Tronera
E25: (Palacio de Canedo, 7km Cacabelos): B Palacio de Canedo
E33: Santiago de Campostella: * Casa Marcelo * A Tafona B A Horta d’Obradoiro B Ghalpón Abastos B Café de Altamira P Manso P Auga e Sal P A Maceta P Taberna Abastos P Don Quijote P Pedro Roca
View attachment 49734

Thanks for sharing this!

This is a great list. Props for including the links too. An excellent resource for those who might be celebrating something special en route, or who might want a special treat to mark the end of the Camino in Santiago. In Galicia, particularly, the value to price ratio at this level of restaurant is really exceptional, and they aren’t booked out months in advance, I’ve been to several with same day reservations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well I'm a foodie and admit I was getting worried the food would be...repetitive...although I'm okay with it, not really doing this for the fine dining experience. But - I love this info so hopefully I can mix in something different here and there, particularly in Santiago where I will end my trip on my birthday. Thank you for the info.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back