• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino frances mid sep to mid/late october

Linamay

Hallo everyone.

Im planning my first camino this year starting from sjpp mid september.

From what i have read about the camino frances this time of year, it is still very crowded. But i was wondering just how crowded? is it like in july/august where the albergues/shelter sometimes are fully booked, and you'll have walk to next city to find a place to sleep. It's not a disaster if it happens, just part of the camino:) but i might prosponed it a week or two, what are your experiences?

all the best Lina.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started walking in SJPdP the 7th of September 2011
I arrived in Santiago d C the 7th of October 2011
It was crowded comparing the year before during the same period. I arrived in Roncesvalles around 16:00 and I was something like pilgrim nr. 100. (I started walking at 7:00 in SJPdP and many passed me in the mountains) The next morning, they told me that 20 pilgrims had to sleep in the old building. (The new building has much more comfort than the old one.)

If you arrive in general before 16:00 in an albergue, you will normally have a bed. Never panic if you're late, you will always find a solution very quickly. No one of "the family" (pilgrims I know since the beginning and met regulary during the camino) had to walk till the next town.

Example: In Cacabelos, an Israelian girl arrived around 19:00 at the albergue where the rooms are constructed around a church. There was no more place. A guy decided to sleep outside and offered his bed.

I suggest you take with you a recent list of the albergues with the number of beds so you can plan a bit where you will land.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Lina,
I walked the camino twice during autumn/winter 2011 and i think if you want a balance between hot weather/ overcrowding and bad weather/ closed facilities and you are starting from St Jean i would suggest starting between september 20th- october 1st.
Paul

Hi Lina,
I started from St Jean on Sept 14 in 2010 (a Holy Year and thus very busy)and finished on Oct 25, and only once did I not find a bed at my planned albergue, and then it was only a 2km walk to the next where I had a bed. However, I always arrived before 4 pm. Last year, also in Sept and Oct, several albergues were full after I arrived, but there were other albergues in the town/village with vacant beds. Do not stress - you will always find somewhere to sleep and normally the hospitalero will be very helpful in finding you somewhere to sleep. David

Linamay said:
Im planning my first camino this year starting from sjpp mid september. From what i have read about the camino frances this time of year, it is still very crowded.
Last year, on 6th September, my wife and I arrived in Roncesvalles after 7:00 pm. to find the place super booked (more than 400 pilgrims). We 'phoned a hostal in Burguete, and after the pilgrims' Mass we walked in the pitch dark the 3 km to this next village.
Two years before, during the same period, we did not find a bed in Roncesvalles either. The owners of the hostal drove us to accommodations in Espinal and picked us up the next morning so that we could start walking from Roncesvalles.
We found out that there are waves of pilgrims: sometimes it is sufficient to wait a day somewhere and find the going easy afterwards. Watch out for week-ends and holidays, particularly once you reach the 100 km mark before Santiago. Also do budget some extra expense for occasional accommodation as an alternative to albergues. For the 2 of us we often find a reasonably attractive room with shared bathroom for around 26 Euros. It needs some shopping around, particularly late in the afternoon. However, there is a trade-off between beds with sheets in a quiet room (watch out for bell towers!) and the camaraderie in albergues, where you also have facilities for washing your clothes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
dfitzg773 said:
Lina, I'm starting from SJPP on September 15!
Hey Maybe we will meet:)

Thank you all for your responses!!

It made me alot more calm, i love how people are willing to help here in this forum, can't wait too join this wonderful group of people on the camino.

All the best Lina.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Re:camino frances mid sep to mid/late october : irish newbie

Hi im also starting the camino in mid september 2012
myself and my mate both female in our 20's are flying from dublin to biarittz on the 17th september so hoping to start the camino about the 18th from st jean a pied de port and walk to santiago de compostella and on to finisterre by the start of november as were graduating from college the 9th of november weve gotta fly back to ireland by then :)
anyone doing this route when we are? :)
anyone got any tips for us \newbies on packing :?:
, the route :?:
, great alburgues :?:
any info greatly appreciated :D thanks buen camino !! :mrgreen:

Linamay said:
dfitzg773 said:
Lina, I'm starting from SJPP on September 15!
Hey Maybe we will meet:)

Thank you all for your responses!!

It made me alot more calm, i love how people are willing to help here in this forum, can't wait too join this wonderful group of people on the camino.

All the best Lina.

Hi friend, I will in Paris(from Malaysia) 17th Sept, start the pilgrimage 30th, hope to meet you guys there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back