• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances November and early December 2013 :)

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
Hey

I am just new here and looking for some advice or just general feedback of people who have walked the Camino Frances alone in the months of November and into the early December?

I am currently on a gap year in Europe, I am returning home in September for a month and plan to leave for the Camino around the 26th/27th October....flying to Paris and spending either one or two nights depending on which flight I get, from there take the TGV to Bayonne and then local train to SJPDP. I would perhaps like to spend a night in St Jean Pied de Port before I start my Camino on the morning of the 30th of October 2013

I have basically until the middle of December to complete this and am doing it for personal reasons, I would like to walk to Finisterre and finish my journey there. Perhaps then head to Barcelona before heading home to spend Chirstmas with my family as I missed it last year! I have read a similar post on here about another girl walking last year alone in November but it didn't follow up with how she got on.

Any advice would be great, negative and positve :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
caminoforme86 said:
Hey

I am just new here and looking for some advice or just general feedback of people who have walked the Camino Frances alone in the months of November and into the early December?
Any advice would be great, negative and positve :)

Hello caminoforme86,

Welcome to the Forum!

Over the past years I have walked the Camino Frances eight times alone in late autumn/winter. It is always has been a most rewarding challenge!

The best advice is to BE PREPARED for extreme and varied weather. Days are usually sunny (except in Galicia) and the air crisp; nights can be cold with freezing rain or even snow. It is important to read the sky for possible storms. Regarding the state of the path and weather forecasts be sure to ask the locals and watch TV reports. In bad weather do NOT take any chances; descents in heavy rain, deep mud or snow can be treacherous. Even late last November the climb up to O Cebriero was packed deep with snow. Luckily the open albergue offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Not all albergues will be open after mid-October but the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. You will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere; generally they will either be heated or have blankets, but not all. It may be cold but there are plenty of bunks!

Be sure to read the Forum topic on Equipment - Questions for a multitude of suggestions on what to take and wear. My kit has evolved to be warm and cozy but still a lightweight 6.5 kilos; it has been comfortable in 'difficult' weather conditions including deep mud, heavy wind, lashing rain, freezing albergues and three true blizzards as well as walking in glorious golden sunshine. Like many veteran pilgrims do I layer basic items when necessary. One important change made over time is now the jacket is bright reflective yellow and for my next camino starting mid-October the poncho will be day-glo orange for maximum safety. Here is my kit list >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Whatever you plan to take be sure to test wearing and carrying it. Tried and true is better than new and never worn for all your camino gear.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I went last fall about the same time frame as you are planning.

There are a lot fewer pilgrims than in summer. Space in the albergue will not likely be a problem. The problem will be that many albergues are closed for the season. The pilgrims office in SJPdP provided a sheet showing all of the public albergues and many association albergues with dates indicating when they are open. The list wasn't 100% correct but it was good enough so I never had to walk extra because of an albergue being closed.

The numbers of pilgrims dropped in Burgos at mid November with many people going home as the weather turned colder and less reliable. Some days there were only 5 or 6 other pilgrims in the albergues. Be prepared to be self reliant.

Since the weather is less reliable the highest risk areas are the pass between Astorga and Molinaseca and the pass between Villafranca and Triacastela. These areas are remote. If you get cold there will be few places to stop and warm up.

I got to Fisterra on 12 December 2012. It started raining. There were several severe squalls while I stayed in Fisterra that made me glad I was off the camino. The streets filled with running streams in about 5 minutes. Apparently the rains started late in 2012.

Overall it was a good walk. The weather never got really snotty; it was warmer, sunnier, and drier than it was at home. I'd recommend to anyone to go at this time of year while echoing Margaret's comment about being prepared for anything.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino!
I will 3 days in front of you!
I sincerely hope you have 'fair' weather and an incredible experience.

I once walked from Pamplona to Leon over the Christmas break. It was one of my all time favorite caminos.

I never had a problem finding a place to stay and there were about 5-7 pilgrims per night.

I had good weather....but there was a huge snow storm the day I finished walking. Leon was covered in 6-8 inches of snow. It would have made seeing yellow arrows very difficult.

Go for it! PM me if you have any specific questions.

Jeff

Hello, My wife and I will be leaving from St Jean to walk to Leon three or four days before you. We take our time, so perhaps we'll meet up at some stage. I'd strongly endorse the advice from mspath in her 11 July post; while there's additional good information in the post three below yours, by Jakenmarie on 30 May. Hope to see you in a few months, Buen Camino, wes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many thanks to you all so far for responding, hoping to get my flights booked soon. So much information to take in but thank you all, I can read and read up on things via the internet but always better hearing first hand from the real people that have been on it.

I plan over the next few weeks to do some long distance walks, I do not have the boots here with me that I will be using in November but I will get a good month in them back home before I set out, I used them for 5 months when I was travelling Europe and have a couple pairs of the smartwool socks which I would be looking at getting another pair, I found them wonderful.

I will be using my ecco sandals for this long distance walks and in August I plan to step it up a bit and do some long distance walks with my backpack. The one I have used for my travels is around 2kg, Lowe Alpine, I would be planning to take this one with me. When I left for my Eurotrip in November last year I think it was around 12kg and I soon realised I didn't need half the stuff I had taken with me, so guessing I should manage easily to keep it under 10kg.

Great to hear already that a few of you will be leaving around the same day as I am, a nice comforting thought.

Many thanks again, I shall continue reading all this new information, thanks

hi just seen this thread whilst looking for info on the camino.. also last minute :S
travelling by bike through france and italy and should be around arles to start my camino beginning of november... on bike if i still have it lol. if not il walk! hoping to find open refugios and albergues on route without too much planning.. il learn along the way i guess. just hope its not too cold getting through the pyrenese to jaca but il have waterproofs. hope to see any of you guys on this adventure!

Good luck with your camino :)

My brother is a very keen cyclist, he, his wife and their two kids at the time aged 5 and 2 cycled from Fife in Scotland to Holland camping along the way. He thinks I should be doing my pilgrimage by bike but my knowledge on keeping the bike in working order is slim so well done to you, your journey sounds amazing.

If you pass me give us a wave :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
ah brill that sounds like 1 cool trip!! yes hopefully il still have my bike by then if not il be walking. il look out for you :D

Doubt is setting in and it's taking its toll...

I am due to leave on 27th Oct for Paris and start on 30th from SJPdP.

I just came back from 11 months travel in Europe and living in Poland and jumped straight into 3 weeks work to fund the last part of my camino.

However I am working long hours and no where near ready for my camino. I finish work on the 21st and while working I am not finding the time to get out and walk let alone with the pack. I haven't even finalised my pack and what I will bring.

Doubt is creeping in if this is my time,or I would be better postponing it ensuring I am both mentally and physically prepared...

I know only I can make this decision,

I would be better postponing it ensuring I am both mentally and physically prepared.
The mental part is up to you, but physically you can use the camino as your training ground. Just don't plan to do journeyman days the first week. You don't go to the gym for the first time and expect to do maximum reps with maximum weight. Don't expect to do what you "used to" do until you have built up to it. As a result, your time schedule might require a new plan. Conform to the camino; don't try to force it to fit your expectations. Have fun!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
caminoforme86,

I seriously doubt than anyone could be COMPLETELY PREPARED for such a journey. For me each camino is not only a walk of personal thanksgiving, discovery and hope, but also a test of tenacity and endurance through chance. Nothing is a certainty for any pilgrim; after all this is life.

Try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. Be thankful at the end of each day for simple shelter, a bunk, working toilet, hot shower, something to eat and if possible good companionship.

Remember that the most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! As Falcon and many other veteran pilgrims suggest start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it....You will have an unforgettable journey.

Carpe diem!

Margaret Meredith

Doubt is setting in and it's taking its toll...

I am due to leave on 27th Oct for Paris and start on 30th from SJPdP.

I just came back from 11 months travel in Europe and living in Poland and jumped straight into 3 weeks work to fund the last part of my camino.

However I am working long hours and no where near ready for my camino. I finish work on the 21st and while working I am not finding the time to get out and walk let alone with the pack. I haven't even finalised my pack and what I will bring.

Doubt is creeping in if this is my time,or I would be better postponing it ensuring I am both mentally and physically prepared...

I know only I can make this decision,

Hi, I'm still pondering walking the Camino in Nov 2013 aswell, as my original thought was March 2014. I haven't booked tickets, looked at the route or any walking in preparation so far...But tend to procrastinate, so probably won't be more prepared by March anyway. I might start moving very quickly now to be ready in 20 day... Hope to see you on route.

Buen Camino

Hey, thanks for replying!

I do have my flights booked to Paris and my train to Bayonne, so in theory there should be nothin stopping me. only myself.

I know if I postpone till March there is a good chance I won't like yourself be ready by then either.

I change on a day to day basis and perhaps it is just a little bit of cold feet setting in...

I can taste the regret if I don't at least go and start this.... I think I need to stop thinking I can't and start believing I can!

thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
November/December for me too. Planning to leave SJPP for Roncevalles 2nd or 3rd Nov. Napoleon route or Valcarlos? Hostel Orrisson is closed. What sort of weather conditions can I expect taking the high road?

Buen camino!

Ketil

Hi,

I've chilled out a bit again and managed to find time last night to go and get some other things from my list! So I am now equipped with my base layers and gloves and so on.

Still quite a bit to get done but feeling more positive it will be achieved.

Getting my pack taken in tomorrow to do just over a week of walking with the pack.

I would like to do the Napoleon route but obviously weather permitting.

Look forward to seeing you on the road somewhere.

Kathryn

Hi,
Just as encouragement I think you will be fine. I never walked with a pack before I went away so I did as suggested, i.e. started easy and took care of myself - my weaknesses toughened up en route. Also I'm so glad that I listened to the wisdom of many posters and kept my pack weight pretty low. These two things combined, I think you should not expect any insurmountable problems.

Buen camino
Robert

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok this is going to sound a bit dumb. Please bear in mind that I'm from Australia which doesn't have the snow/climate of northern Spain and a lot of the rest of Europe etc - I'm used to sunshine and beaches - please be kind.

What are the actual dangers or things to be wary of or things to take into consideration when walking in the snow at this time of year? Apart from getting caught in a snow storm and dying from exposure and missing the path due to snow coverage and being really cold - like that's not enough
I've hiked in snow in Tasmania (6 days on the Overland Track in late winter/early spring, sleeping in mountain huts).

Am I out of my league in comparing it to what you would experience in a winter in Spain? I'm talking about the physical aspect of actually walking in the snow not the depth of the snow (which I would assume would be much greater in Spain).

I hope I'm being clear - perhaps people could discuss any experiences where they felt unsafe or things they would do differently next time.

Thanks

Sharni
there's a wide spectrum of views on this forum about what people believe is safe/prudent walking. The forum tends to be quite cautionary, but then it caters for a wide range of people and advises many who aren't either as strong as they used to be or particularly fit. If you've hiked in Tasmanian snow and have a pretty good sense for assessing the conditions and risks against your capabilities, then you have nothing to be anxious about. If there are freak conditions of blizzards and heavy snow in difficult places (like at the beginning of this year on the Pyrenees to Pamplona), then people on the ground will advise you what action/alternatives to take. When I walked in November/December in 2008, we had quite heavy snow in the mountains at Manjarin and O'Cebreiro. In the one case it was possible to walk on the road which runs close to the way
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/3167221787/in/set-72157625466500581/lightbox/
and in the other, to follow the cyclists route on a small road. The people I was with included a pregnant 38 year old and a 65 year old woman with a mule and a donkey - and it didn't deter them. The only guy who decided he couldn't go on was wearing open sandals - with socks ("es el camino").

Hi fellow pilgims

I just finished my Camino on 12/9/2013 , 26 days to complete. SJPDP to Santiago. With a side trip Muxia to Finisterre.
I am now home in Australia, suffering from Camino withdrawals. I am coming back to do
It again in November. The Way will look so much different.
All my questions ref the conditions have been answered here. Thanks
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also had cold feet going it alone ino europto but im now in chamonix v cold winter setting in cant b no colder than here lol. Im still doing camino by end oct so maybe see you guys :D. Aaron

Going to start in SJPDP on November 3rd as well, just have 8 days so planning to finish in Najera or Santo Domingo de Calzada, make my way back to Biarritz somehow and then hopefully continue next year. Very excited now, looking forward to maybe meeting some of you on the way!

To all peregrinos doing the camino frances in late fall,

Good luck to your desire to walk this time of the year. Listen to the advice of the locals. Do not take risk going from sjpdp to roncesvalles, and also other places if encountered with snow. The days are short, make sure you wear high visibility vest. Put safety as your prime priority. Take a break if weather does not permit you to continue. Remember this is your camino and the camino is not a marathon.

Buen camino and may god bless and protect you for a safe camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back