• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Camino Frances Open?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unless you, as a US citizen, also have European citizenship, you are not allowed to leave the US and arrive in most European countries. A simple Google search will give you the info you require.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Judging by the latest (European) news, by Sept. The caminos will be walked by oldtimers, fully vaccinated, and with an international vaccine pass to prove it. Countries like Spain, Greece cannot afford much more lockdown.

All will be well.

September should be OK for you, as it is prior to the 2021-2022 winter respiratory diseases season.

Provided that travel from the US is not restricted, but it shouldn't be I'd guess.

Right now, according to CDC you can fly internationally if you have both vaccine shots. You will need a Covid test, however, to return the USA. See the CDC website. However, the real question is whether europe will open up....and whether you would be able to get a Covid test in a timely fashion before you fly home, I can imagine the chaos since thousands would be wanting results daily.
Another question is whether the IATA and airlines will have the global vaccine/health pass working. Without a soft-wear system working, getting through controls would be horrific.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why worry in April whether you may get a PCR test in September in time for your flight back home and among some unspecified chaos? By that time, Spain will have their summer vacation season behind them. We don't even know whether those who are vaccinated and would need a PCR test now if they could fly from Spain to the USA will still need a PCR test in September? And just look at Mallorca right now: places where you can get the required PCR test for your flight back home to an airport in Germany have mushroomed in the past two weeks. Additional capacity at the airport, in public and private clinics, at doctors' offices, even a mobile test center has been created by some enterprising spirit, and there is talk by major tour operators to provide PCR test opportunities at hotels.

Our plane tickets depart the US on Monday, Sept 13. I have had both vaccine shots and my wife gets her second shot today. I have my completed CDC vaccination card which I will get laminated, and a certificate from our State's Department of health. If we need to pay to get PCR tests before we leave the US and before returning, it will be worth paying the fees. Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why worry in April whether you may get a PCR test in September in time for your flight back home and among some unspecified chaos? By that time, Spain will have their summer vacation season behind them. We don't even know whether those who are vaccinated and would need a PCR test now if they could fly from Spain to the USA will still need a PCR test in September? And just look at Mallorca right now: places where you can get the required PCR test for your flight back home to an airport in Germany have mushroomed in the past two weeks. Additional capacity at the airport, in public and private clinics, at doctors' offices, even a mobile test center has been created by some enterprising spirit, and there is talk by major tour operators to provide PCR test opportunities at hotels.
Please don’t misquote me. I did not mention a PCR test on this thread? In fact, it appears that the antigen test is acceptable for vaccinated Americans as well. This would mean that results could be obtained at the testing site.

But for those, traveling daily on the camino with limited days, building-in time for a scheduled test is a consideration when planning your trip!

Right now there does not appear to be onsite testing at MAD or BCN. Perhaps this will change?

Worried is your descriptive, Katharina. I am looking at factors we may have to consider when planning our international flights. We are considering options.

If no sites are setup within the major terminals, then those flying out of SdC, who can not obtain a test there, would not likely not be able to fly home in one day. It would mean having to leave the airport, going off site, and likely flying out the following day..... Or, taking ground transportation ito Madrid, or Barcelona, getting tested, and then flying home the next day.

Please don’t misquote me.
Erm ... I didn't quote you at all. And "PCR test" is my handy short form for "any test that may be officially required". ☺️

BTW, this is a photo from the Santiago de Compostela airport, published a few days ago in the local press. Offers and available paths for testing are changing all the time ...

Edited to correct obvious typo.

Santiago airport 31.3.2021.jpg

Last edited:
. I have my completed CDC vaccination card which I will get laminated,
I've read more cons than pros for getting you card laminated. It's possible that you may need booster shots in the future, so I think that it's better to not have it laminated. I have ordered a plastic sleeve to hold mine.

Screenshot_20210408-073158_Firefox.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is there any word on whether the Camino Frances will be doable Sept 1 2021. Would be coming from the US.
My personal opinion as to your question and your situation (i.e. coming from the USA): Yes for 1 September, provided things continue to take the direction they are taking now. Potential future variants of the Covid-19 virus remain a concern. Further opinion, based solely on gut reaction: Perhaps a bit later than 1 September, i.e. middle of the month when the European summer vacation season has ended and the domestic Spanish summer vacation tourists and the European summer vacation tourists have gone back home. But really, that opinion is not based on any known facts whatsoever. :cool:

If your question is: Can I book a flight for September now, then the answer is: Why not and make sure that you can change the dates again without having to pay large changing fees.

If your question is: Will there be enough accommodation along the Camino Frances, then the answer would be: Nobody has a clue right now about offer and demand this September.

Last edited:
I've read more cons than pros for getting you card laminated. It's possible that you may need booster shots in the future, so I think that it's better to not have it laminated. I have ordered a plastic sleeve to hold mine.

View attachment 97172
I made a copy of my card and took a picture to store on my phone. The copy I laminated and carry with me. The original is safely kept at home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Our plane tickets depart the US on Monday, Sept 13. I have had both vaccine shots and my wife gets her second shot today. I have my completed CDC vaccination card which I will get laminated, and a certificate from our State's Department of health. If we need to pay to get PCR tests before we leave the US and before returning, it will be worth paying the fees. Bob
It has been suggested not to laminate your "covid card" so that future vaccinations can be added.

Please don’t misquote me. I did not mention a PCR test on this thread? In fact, it appears that the antigen test is acceptable for vaccinated Americans as well.
This is highly variable from one country to the next -- and from one week to the next.

As such, any test requirements in September are completely unpredictable, sorry.

Erm ... I didn't quote you at all. And "PRC test" is my handy short form for "any test that may be officially required". ☺️

BTW, this is a photo from the Santiago de Compostela airport, published a few days ago in the local press. Offers and available paths for testing are changing all the time ...

View attachment 97173

Thank you for the photo you posted! ! Do you have further information about this service?

Sorry, I am not clairvoyant so could you please explain what “PRC “ means.

I think it is important when we refer to these tests that we get it right,even-if there are changes over time.

According toCDC current guidelines

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

To clarify the Antigen test and the PCR are different types of tests.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry, I am not clairvoyant so could you please explain what “PRC “ means.
No need for clairvoyance...

Molecular test for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19:

A polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test is performed to detect genetic material from a specific organism, such as a virus. The test detects the presence of a virus if you are infected at the time of the test.

Antigen test for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19:

This test identifies protein fragments (antigens) from the virus - can be taken at a hospital, a doctor’s office or at home.

Last edited:
Europe is pretty late on their vaccination process. Theres a good chance, Spain or France (if you start in SJDPP) might not be open yet. It looks like they only rely on Aztraneca? My Plan A is Sept on Del Norte and Plan B is Oct.

Ditto! Ditto! Pushback is 12:15 PM, Monday Sept 13th, RIC bound for MAD via ORD. ... My heart is already aboard the plane.

Got both shots, laminated my CDC card (w. photocopy taped into passport, and photo stored in my e-mail account), and I'll sell the family cat if that's what it takes to purchase a pre-flight PCR test!

Last edited:
and I'll sell the family cat if that's what it takes to purchase a pre-flight PCR test!
I'll buy a poor poor thing😂🤣. I am never absent for more than two weeks because of my cat. Nothing works - a cat hotel, staying with my son, daily visits if she is at home ..... when I come back she is angry, offended, she yells at me until she loses her voice and in all possible ways shows me that I am not doing the right thing🤪. Maybe society would come in handy. Or I would have a double problem.
Definitely keep the cat😄

I'd imagine the more flights there are the greater the market for the tests will be and the companies will follow willing to take our money. It's getting out and back into my own country is the issue for me not Spain

Europe is pretty late on their vaccination process. Theres a good chance, Spain or France (if you start in SJDPP) might not be open yet. It looks like they only rely on Aztraneca? My Plan A is Sept on Del Norte and Plan B is Oct.
It is actually going very well in Europe right now: Vaccine distribution (production capasity dependent) is doubling this week, and even more in the upcoming weeks. I am due for my first shot in 5 days from now (67 years old/young), and getting a final shot on May 26. I will then be ready to go wherever, depending some on an EU (hopefully worldwide) vaccine pass, that will let people travel internationally without quarantine at either end of the journey.

Hopefully, in the US, with its vaccination program going great now, it seems, US citizens will also be allowed into the EU. Not to mention Australia/New Zealand, who have handled this mess exemplarily.

For the first time in my life, I am soo looking forward to someone sticking sharp needles into my body ...

All will be well.

Edit: I forgot to say: After a disappointing slow start in Europe, due to production issues, the vaccination progress in Europe is now blooming, and the future looks so bright, I need to wear shades. :cool:

I also think that we are somewhat overrating the mortality of the virus: In Norway, there have been +100.000 infected, and less than 700 dead... Less than a normal flu year. But it seems that Covid-19 is a nastier beast, though, for those who catch it.

Last edited:
It is actually going very well in Europe right now: Vaccine distribution (production capasity dependent) is doubling this week, and even more in the upcoming weeks. I am due for my first shot in 5 days from now (67 years old/young), and getting a final shot on May 26. I will then be ready to go wherever, depending some on an EU (hopefully worldwide) vaccine pass, that will let people travel internationally without quarantine at either end of the journey.

Hopefully, in the US, with its vaccination program going great now, it seems, US citizens will also be allowed into the EU. Not to mention Australia/New Zealand, who have handled this mess exemplarily.

For the first time in my life, I am soo looking forward to someone sticking sharp needles into my body ...

All will be well.

Edit: I forgot to say: After a disappointing slow start in Europe, due to production issues, the vaccination progress in Europe is now blooming, and the future looks so bright, I need to wear shades. :cool:

I also think that we are somewhat overrating the mortality of the virus: In Norway, there have been +100.000 infected, and less than 700 dead... Less than a normal flu year. But it seems that Covid-19 is a nastier beast, though, for those who catch it.
At least in West Virginia, the vaccination process is going very well. My husband and I received our second shots in the middle of March, and our 25 year old son just received his second shot this week. We have vaccinated about 55% of our county residents, and while the health department is still holding weekly vaccination clinics they are having trouble filling all the available appointments. We have photographed, scanned and laminated our vaccination cards. It is OK to laminate as no one knows right now about boosters and cards can be reissued if necessary. I just don't understand why most cards are white and WV cards are bright blue!?! Any other colors out there? 🙂 (And I do so much hate being on the receiving end of a sharp needle.) ☹️💉🩹

€60,-
I would be cautiously optimistic about the Camino this summer. After all it did open to a limited degree last summer.

The situation in Europe is mostly not too bad now and the vaccination process is set to be 3.5 times faster in Q2 as in Q1. The virus is better understood now than last year which should also help.

That said, the variant situation is unpredictable.

I post regular updates here: http://www.viadelaplataguide.net/pa...questions-about-walking-the-via-de-la-plata#1

All seems so uncertain. Still.
Even vaccinated, there is no guarantee.
I have read about cases where vaccinated people have contracted the virus. I have read that you can still be a "carrier" even though you have had the vaccine (plus boosters). There seem to be ongoing shots required.

I am not wanting to have the vaccine. I do not want this in my body.
This is a personal decision based on thorough research. Perhaps I will not be able to walk the beloved Camino in the near future.

I did have to have the test recently for some interstate travel (tested negative) and I understand the need to do so. I am not prepared, however, to take the vaccine. Please no lectures, just sharing my point of view.

I love your enthusiasm and spirit of hope, Marbe2. I sure hope you get to go this year

Do be sure to monitor restrictions within Spain as well as entry to the country. I live in Barcelona and currently we are unable to move outside our comarca/region unless it is for deemed essential purposes. In those rare instances, it is required to apply for a certificate in order to go to an area outside one's region. As I have an essential flight next week, departing from Barcelona's airport, I had to obtain a certificate because the airport lies outside of the region where I live (within the city of Barcelona).

Do be sure to monitor restrictions within Spain as well as entry to the country. I live in Barcelona and currently we are unable to move outside our comarca/region unless it is for deemed essential purposes. In those rare instances, it is required to apply for a certificate in order to go to an area outside one's region. As I have an essential flight next week, departing from Barcelona's airport, I had to obtain a certificate because the airport lies outside of the region where I live (within the city of Barcelona).
lindam,
Our situation now in France is similar to yours. We are under total lockdown and can only travel no more than 10 km to shop for essentials. If we must go further ie for a medical appointment we need carry a formal attestation stating why, where and when. All travel unless an emergency is prohibited during curfew from 7pm to 6am.

Good luck and do stay safe .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Been trapped in a big island for a year. Still forbidden to leave unless can prove compassionate grounds it that I am a politician, a rock star, a billionaire or famous actress.
Though I feel a great loss for so many that have had been ill it died & the great tragedy for their families & communities. Stay 1.5 wear masks get vaccinated & don't travel if you don't have to

All seems so uncertain. Still.
Even vaccinated, there is no guarantee.
I have read about cases where vaccinated people have contracted the virus. I have read that you can still be a "carrier" even though you have had the vaccine (plus boosters). There seem to be ongoing shots required.

I am not wanting to have the vaccine. I do not want this in my body.
This is a personal decision based on thorough research. Perhaps I will not be able to walk the beloved Camino in the near future.

I did have to have the test recently for some interstate travel (tested negative) and I understand the need to do so. I am not prepared, however, to take the vaccine. Please no lectures, just sharing my point of view.

I love your enthusiasm and spirit of hope, Marbe2. I sure hope you get to go this year

Brilliant, shorter waiting time for the rest of us.

I have friends who started chemotherapy recently. Vaccination is not an option for them. I have my fingers crossed that they don't catch the virus from someone who chose not to receive the vaccine.

I don't understand someone who has done "extensive research" and concludes that "since nothing is guaranteed to prevent infection or transmission, I choose to take nothing."

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It has been more or less confirmed by the Spanish Government that the State of Alarm will indeed be ending on May 9th, and therefore that all regional lockdowns and curfews will also be lifted at the latest on that date.

Some local or regional restrictions may persist, such as social distancing and masking rules, or even municipal lockdowns, or the closing of indoor bars or restaurants etc.

And some international travel bans into Spain are also liable to persist beyond that date.

But bottom line from our point of view, the Spanish Camino routes will be open in about a months time at latest (for those who can travel there).

Last edited:
Been trapped in a big island for a year. Still forbidden to leave unless can prove compassionate grounds it that I am a politician, a rock star, a billionaire or famous actress.
Though I feel a great loss for so many that have had been ill it died & the great tragedy for their families & communities. Stay 1.5 wear masks get vaccinated & don't travel if you don't have to
Same here, only on a small island 😁😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back