• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances or Camino Portugues... in 2 weeks?

Matthew R

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2015
I will be a first-time Camino traveler and am in the planning stage for my journey this coming summer. I have only two weeks to hike along the Camino (I am trying to squeeze it in between the end of work and the beginning of my next college semester). I originally was thinking of starting the Camino Frances, making it as far as I can, and then taking a bus/train to Bilbao and flying out from there, but now I am wondering whether it would be better to take the Camino Portugues instead (as it is shorter).

-Would it be possible for me to finish the Camino Portugues in two weeks (I exercise regularly yet I don't necessarily want to rush the walk)?
-One seeming advantage of the Camino Portugues is that it begins in a very accessible city (Lisbon), how difficult/expensive is it to get to St. Jean Pied de Port from the nearest airport?
-I am trying to make this trip as inexpensive as possible, which route option is relatively cheaper (costs of albergues, etc.)
-More generally, which route is more scenic/enjoyable?

If anyone who has walked both trails could help me out in answering these questions, it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum

Portuguese is obviously shorter - but you are unlikely to manage to walk from Lisbon in two weeks (you'd have to do more than a marathon every day). However, you could start in Porto and have a few days spare to look round Porto and Santiago (especially if it's your first time - or if you really want to keep walking and you've arrived in Santiago with too much time on your hands you could walk out Fisterra or Muxia).
Take a look at this guide for distances http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-portugues
Porto is easily accessible from Lisbon (a quick train trip)

Portuguese will be cheaper.

Neither will take the prize for most scenic route - but you can find beauty anywhere if you have your eyes open.

Another option would be to do the Camino Ingles and then walk out to Muxia and Finisterre. Fly in and out of Santiago, catch the bus to Ferrol and back from Finisterre at the end and spend a couple of days in Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back