Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances or primitivo as a solo older woman

Ponygirl1961

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances or primitivo (2019)
I was originally planning to walk the Frances route in July 2019 and have booked airfare and taken time off. Now I am reading about the Primitvo route and trying to decide between the two. I have a fear that one may be too crowded but the alternate fear is that the other may not be as safe for a solo woman who is winging it.... I dont want to be part of a tourist trap group but also don't want to feel unsafe. I have 5 weeks and am flying into Paris and out of Lisbon. Any guidance would be welcome. TIA

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to forum.

On any camino you’ll be relatively safe crowds or no.

If this is your first time on camino I vote for the CF. Lots and lots of infrastructure: cathedral and church tours, plenty of bars, and many pilgrims with whom to pass a day, an hour, or quite a lot time.

The real crush is from Sarria to Santiago. But, you should still find a bed and piece of mind and time to yourself if you so desire.

Buen camino whatever route you take.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would go for the CF - marvellous intro into the peripatetic pilgrim life. It isn't a tourist trap! it is a pilgrimage.
Though - depends upon what you want ... and there have been reports on this forum about solo females having problems on the Portugeuse Camino.

What do you want?? Ah - decisions ;) - don't try and over-think it .. just let go and go .. if your first decision for your first pilgrimage was the CF and you go elsewhere you just may spend the whole time wondering what you might be missing!

Buen Camino!

You will never be a tourist. You will be part of a supportive family called the Camino family If you want space you will get it. If you want or need help you will get it. I would do the France going back 9th April third time all the France. On one walk an older lady asked if she could walk with me till it got properly light in the mourning. I did not mind in fact it was a privilege . Good luck God bless And yes as David says don't over think it Just Go.

I am going alone in June and doing the Frances due to the higher level of infrastructure and just because it feels like the 'original' or 'main' route which might not be historically accurate of course! If 1961 is your birth year then you aren't much older than me 😄

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unsafe in what way? It doesn't matter whether you're male or female. It's what you're comfortable with. The Primitivo has plenty of pilgrims but depending on when you go you will have stretches by yourself. So if you get lonely easy, then that may not be the best choice.

Unsafe in what way? It doesn't matter whether you're male or female. It's what you're comfortable with. The Primitivo has plenty of pilgrims but depending on when you go you will have stretches by yourself. So if you get lonely easy, then that may not be the best choice.
... totally agree, but if you already feel uneasy, just go CF... and don’t question your intuition if you don’t have peace with the primitivo.

The Primitivo is considerably shorter than the Frances. Perhaps you could start on the Frances, and if you aren't liking it because of crowds, you could hop a bus over to Oviedo and follow the Primitivo. Or hop a bus to somewhere earlier on the Norte, depending on where you might want to switch.

I met a woman of graceful years, in Castrojerez, who wasn't liking the Frances and thinking of quitting. The next time I saw her was in Santiago, and she had switched to the Primitivo and loved it.

As women, the greatest risk to our safety is intimate partner violence. The odds of something serious happening on the camino are very small. Keep your wits about you and trust your gut.

Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will never be a tourist. You will be part of a supportive family called the Camino family If you want space you will get it. If you want or need help you will get it. I would do the France going back 9th April third time all the France. On one walk an older lady asked if she could walk with me till it got properly light in the mourning. I did not mind in fact it was a privilege . Good luck God bless And yes as David says don't over think it Just Go.
Yes when you walk the Camino you will have the Camino family.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
don't try and over-think it .. just let go and go

I am a woman of graceful years also and plan on walking the Norte/Primitive route solo May-June 2019. The quote above is exactly the mentality I am using for this pilgrimage. I know I am meant to go and this is the right time...what will be will be and I will embrace it all.

Hope I see you out there!

I walked the Frances for my first camino alone at 59 in Late March-May. I did not feel unsafe. It was a wonderful experience. I walked alone part of the time and with others I met along the way at other times. Don't worry.
Peregrina well done

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am a woman of graceful years also and plan on walking the Norte/Primitive route solo May-June 2019. The quote above is exactly the mentality I am using for this pilgrimage. I know I am meant to go and this is the right time...what will be will be and I will embrace it all.

Hope I see you out there!

“A woman of graceful years”, I love that expression.

Buen camino.

Was the photo taking in the month of august
It was September 4th. The trail looked similar when I was there in July. Actually, until I got to O Cebreiro the Camino was quieter in July/August than September.
According to this graph September has been the most popular month for starting from St Jean. The peaks are in May and September.
Screenshot_20190315-232013_Firefox.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was originally planning to walk the Frances route in July 2019 and have booked airfare and taken time off. Now I am reading about the Primitvo route and trying to decide between the two. I have a fear that one may be too crowded but the alternate fear is that the other may not be as safe for a solo woman who is winging it....

Hey Ponygirl,

I did CdN "alone" in July/August 2017 and am headed back to Spain to do the Meseta in just 2 weeks. France to Finisterre took me a very chilled 35 days. Safety is unlikely to be an issue, regardless of which route you do. I would suggest thinking more about fitness, and how long/far you want to walk. Also, you'll only walk alone if you want to - making friends/family on the Camino takes no time at all if you're open to it, and these people could become a permanent part of your life. I still have contact with many of the people I walked with and travel to meet up with some of them every 2-3 months. It's up to you how solo you want to walk.
You have 5 weeks, which is a wonderful amount of time! ;) The Primitivo is a lot like the Basque country on the CdN - which means it is a lot of up and down, and the the weather might be unpredictable. That being said, it is said to be beautiful and you will bond with the people even more because you're in the struggle together and the stages are pretty standard (unlike the CF). I'm assuming you're wanting to walk for most of those 5 weeks; if you're willing to walk a few weeks before the Primitivo - from Bilbao or San Sebastian for example - in order to build up your fitness, the Primitivo should be no issue. That being said, the CF will be fuller, which means both safer (numbers and all that...) and well... fuller.
At the end of the day, I'd say consider the information, and then go with your gut. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
It was September 4th. The trail looked similar when I was there in July. Actually, until I got to O Cebreiro the Camino was quieter in July/August than September.
According to this graph September has been the most popular month for starting from St Jean. The peaks are in May and September.
View attachment 54119
[/QUO..The fields remind me of the song the Fields of gold,i did 2 caminos in September and sow all the beautiful fields

View attachment 54119

September is the best time to walk!

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've walked both routes in April/May with a family member. As an older woman if I were walking alone, my vote would still be the Frances, hands down. There were many rather isolated stretches on the Primitivo in 2016, even though lodging was pretty filled at night, as there is less infrastructure.
That said, I did love both routes for different reasons.

I have just come back from the Primitivo, and am *so* glad I didn't make that my first Camino! It's so different from the Frances: the days are much longer and there is much less infrastructure. If you fancy a short walk made up of longer days and bigger climbs with fewer places to stop, then go for it, but I would recommend the Frances any time (especially as you have already taken time off to do so). Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ponygirl1961. I walked the Primitivo from Oviedo in September 2017 and can assure you that it is safe. I met two women who were walking solo and felt safe as well. We ended up forming a small group and walked together for most of the 14 days it took to get to Santiago. There is plenty of infrastructure on the Primitivo. You should be prepared for the physical challenge as you spend a lot of days walking up and down the Pico the Europa, with changes in elevation, which can be demanding. However, it looks like I am about 15 years older than you and I managed to do it, and follow the "younger" crowd by pacing myself and resting when I needed. Buen Camino

Here's a picture of the "crowded" Camino Francés. In early September, which is a busy time on the Camino.View attachment 53814
That picture could be misleading. What time was it taken? Not the early rush hour, for sure.

First Camino, try the French. But none would be disappointing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ponygirl, I also walked the Primitivo in september of 17,and loved it. I am 74 and did not find it too hard. I only remember one day when I got pretty tired. It has some ups and downs,but the scenery is a real draw. There were usually some people within sight. I formed a family in Boyenada and walked with most of them to Santiago. Most of them walked the camino verde,and alternative route all the way to Santiago.Never had trouble finding a bed, and managed to stay fed always. I saw young and not so young women walking alone,but also with a pardner. BUEN CAMINO

You already have a lot of replies that will help you make up your mind. So you don't need my advice as well.

Nevertheless, I do feel the need to reply. What do you mean when you refer to yourself as being an 'older' woman?

You're not an older woman, you're just a woman with a bit more years added to her youth.

So: go take a walk!!
Or 'buen Camino'.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back