• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances over Christmas and into the New Year.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
Would there be any problem finding accommodation at this time of year?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For a list of pilgrim albergues open during winter 2017/2018
see
http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Private accommodation will often be closed for the holidays but there is usually some place open.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim.

Stay warm and Buen camino!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In a word: YES. Many many pilgrim places are closed on Christmas Eve and New Year´s Eve. In our stretch of Camino, there is only ONE place open between Carrion de los Condes and Sahagun on those two nights. It´s my house. We have room for only four people.
There may be more and more pilgrim albergues all the time, but this winter, generally speaking, more albergues and hostels are CLOSED than were in the past. Pilgrims are walking longer distances to find places to stay. The pilgrims also seem to be traveling in groups more than in the past, perhaps to simply keep warm.
Especially on the meseta, pilgrims must be flexible, as civil authorities are now stepping in to help with the flow. We had a major winter storm this week, and Guardia Civil drove the Way, picking up pilgrims who´d misjudged the daylight and weather, delivering them to shelter. (two of the soaked pilgs were brought to our house.) One man utterly refused to get in the car- leave the trail, so the police left him out there. Rumor has it he´s now in hospital in Palencia, having spent a stormy night in the open. He´s not getting much sympathy!

There will be less albergues open, but enough to make it work.
As mentioned, you will need to do some planning - most albergues will have a list close to xmas/new year of where is open on those days - these are the most difficult days, only a few places open and a need to work out food as well - as shops and restaurants may also close down

Having said that, Rebekah is the person on the spot and is correct to say that the Meseta is a place to be respected, so care and planning is definitely needed if that is where you plan to be on the 24th/25th or 31st/1st.

I think xmas on the camino is something very special, so good luck and enjoy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A small word of support......just do it...!!....

I walked El Norte from Irun in december last year, reaching Santiago on january first.....It was sweet and lovely and special and...

No trouble whatsoever. In doubt I called ahead.

Frances is has far better logistics so....?

My reasoning is that we undercommunicate the bliss of tapping into the christmas traditions in Spain. A wonderful experience that is...

Feliz Navidad!

Bon Camino!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started planning a trip - 6 days of Xmas and New Year 2018/2019. Guessing I can only do a leg about 130-150 km. Places to stay a concern. Lots of research to do!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back