• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances route

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
My name is Joe Flavin. My friend and are planning on hiking the Camino this Spring 2010. I am looking to skype or email with anyone who has recently had this experience. I am intrested in what went well and also any difficulties you might have had. My skype address ia Flavjoe. My email is jpflavin@msn.com.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the forum, Joe.

I think you will find almost all of the basic information you are looking for on these forums and on other parts of the website.
I would suggest you spend some time looking around and then see what main questions you have and ask them here.
Buen Camino.

Grayland:

Thanks for the feedback. I have been reading many forums and am inundated with information. Mostly they raise mor questions than answer. To start my questions chronologically, I am interested in the best way to get to SJ from Chicago and from Santiago back to Chicago. I am still interested in skyping or emailing someone who has recently had the experience.

Joe Flavin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hallo Joe,
would say best way to return home would be to fly back to london stansted from Santiago by low-cost airline Ryanair. There you can connect easily by National Express buses to other London airports such as Heatrow or Gatwick where you have several flights to Chicago,at very reasonable rates.
Getting to SJPP is somehow more complicated and you can have several options, best one possibly again flying to london then taking Ryanair to Biarritz where you can have a short train ride to Bayonne and then to SJPP
My experience on the Camino frances is 10 year's old but since then we have been walking all other Camibos in Sapin,Italy and France so i would be more than happy to email you and/or skype about camino's matters. Will send a PM with my details.
Have a nice day
Giorgio

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For $952 on Iberia Airlines:

JOURNEY1 - Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Chicago › Madrid
Departure 17:45 / Chicago , O'Hare International , Terminal 3
Arrival 7:40 Day 25 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4S
Madrid › Pamplona
Departure 12:00 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4
Arrival 12:55 / Pamplona
Duration 13h: 10m
Changes permitted before flight departure with a penalty of 175$

Refund permitted prior to the departure of the first sector with a penalty of 215$
Baggage
Hand luggage: 1 item / 10 kg
In hold: 2 Pieces
Departure 9:40 / Santiago de Compostela
Arrival 10:45 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4
Madrid › Chicago
Departure 11:50 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4S
Arrival 15:20 / Chicago , O'Hare International , Terminal 5
Duration 12h: 40m

Changes permitted before flight departure with a penalty of 175$

Refund permitted prior to the departure of the first sector with a penalty of 215$
Baggage
Hand luggage: 1 item / 10 kg
In hold: 2 Pieces

From Pamplona, you can start walking, or take a bus/taxi to Roncesvalles or St. Jean Pied de Port for your start.

Needless to say, there are other flights, but the basic concept is to fly to Pamplona and return from Santiago de Compostela. That avoids stops in England, where you will need to change airports for Ryan flights, which rarely match up with arrivals from the U.S., often resulting in hotel/motel fees in England.

Have fun!

Another option, which I am considering, is to fly into Paris and take a train from Paris to St. Jean. I've been told by several travel agents that flying into Spain is expensive and to avoid it if possible. The train sounds more reasonable to me than trying to backtrack. Also, for me, I am using the Camino as a starting point for an around the world trip and Paris made the most sense to be my European "base". From Santiago, I will head to Stockholm, Rome, and possibly the UK. Trying to figure out if I can swing Croatia too, before heading to Israel, but not looking good at the moment.

EDIT: There's a section here on the forum on how to get from place to place. I'm looking at flying into Paris, taking an Easyjet flight to Biarritz and then a train to SJ. The flights in April are only 40 Euros or so, plus fees.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
renegadepilgrim said:
I'm looking at flying into Paris, taking an Easyjet flight to Biarritz and then a train to SJ. The flights in April are only 40 Euros or so, plus fees.

If you book ahead, the train can be not only more friendly to the environment and more beautiful, but also cheaper than flying. I have just checked the SNCF website and see, for example that for 48€60 you can take the 12.05 train from Paris on 26 March which will put you in SJPP at 7.35 p.m., just in time for supper. Oh, this is the 1st class price too, which for some reason is cheaper than 2nd class. On the day before the same train costs only 30€60 in 2nd class which is really cheap.
Of course you have to book pretty quickly. :wink:

Hi Joe,
I am leaving from Southern California in late April 2010. Another fellow I met here on the forum (Barry) is also coming from San Diego. I plan on flying to Paris, then train down to SJ. Perhaps we could coordinate. What month are you leaving? Flights to Paris in the spring are cheaper than to Madrid, and the train ride seems inviting to me. Let me know. Would be happy to have company.
Joni

I want to thank all of you who have responded to my inquiries. I now have the information I need to solidify my plans. My goal as of today is to leave Chicago on March 23rd and fly to london. I plan to train from London to SJPdP and start on March 25th. If all goes well, I should reach Santiago on or about April 26th. Thanks again for all your support and guideance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
jpflavin1 said:
I plan to train from London to SJPdP and start on March 25th.

Cool!
You will be going through the chunnel. (English Channel tunnel)
Have a good journey

David, Victoria, Canada

Amen. This is one of the best sites for train travel information that I've seen.

http://www.seat61.com/

Best of luck on your travels.

lynne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rindy/Lynne:

Thanks for the feedback on the man in seat 61. Great website. I have booked to Bayonne and it seems I will have to bus from there to SJPdP. Does anyone know how far it is from the train station in Bayonne to the bus station to get to SJPdP? Also, if I arrive in SJPdP at 1936 will it be difficult to find a place to stay or should I make reservations ahead of time. I will be arriving on March 25th.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi - It's about 50 km from Bayonne to SJPDP. Hardly long enough to get settled in your seat, but long enough to make some plans for your arrival. Depends how many people have already checked in for rooms - you may luck out but you may have to really scratch for a room at that time of day. Why not prebook something?
Have fun!
lynne

hi joe
can't remember a bus station in bayonna-the bus stops are all round the train station square.here's a link to a view of the square from the hotel paris madrid (so good they named it twice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JxUkYYKLJg I stayed here and "l'esprit du chemin" well recomended 8euro's and an extra 9 for dinner with wine-I can still taste the food now-plus its opposite the pilgrim office.
have fun
Ian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The substitute bus while the train is out of service will leave from the train station at 29 Rue de Maubec 64100 Bayonne, France. Ask at the information counter. Even when the train is running, there are a couple of buses each day.

http://www.cambo-les-bains.net/sncf.pdf

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Are there any recommendations on where to stay in SJPdP?

Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It appears the "L espirit du chemin" does not open until April 2nd. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a place to stay in SJPdP?

Errecaldia is a good B&B to stay tim@errecaldia.com http://www.errecaldia.com/

Here is a list someone posted on the forum last year of other places to try:

Monsieur BONHOMME
21, rue d' Espagne
64220 St Jean Pied de Port
Capacité : 18 personnes
12 Euro
Tel : 05.59.37.20.71
Fax : 05.59.37.20.71
gite@bonhomme.net
http://www.votregite.com

Lucien HURMIC
55 rue de la Citadelle
Capacité : 25 personnes
8 Euro
Tel : 05.59.37.05.09
caminopa@hotmail.com

Jean Marie MAILHARRO
Place du trinquet
Capacité : 20 personnes
Nombre de chambres : 2
Tel : 06.79.07.52.52
jeanmarie.mailharro@wanadoo.fr

Guillaume LOPEPE
13, bis rte Maréchal Harispe
Capacité : 18 personnes
16 Euro
Nombre de chambres : 7
Tel : 05.59.49.10.17 ou 06.75.78.36.23
giteguill.lopepe@gmail.com
http://www.gite-zazpiak-bat.com

Isabelle BONNAILLIE
17 chemin de Kurutchamendy
Capacité : 185 personnes
Nombre de chambres : 40
Tel : 05.59.37.06.90
Fax : 05.59.37.35.45
stjeanpdp@valvvfvillages.fr
http://www.vvfvillages.fr

Thank you for the feedback and list. Erracaldia seems like an nice B&B not to far from anything. Does anyone have any other experiences/recommendations on places to stay in SJPdP? I will be arriving on March 25th.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks to all I am set to go. I made my reservations yesterday. I will fly from Chicago to London on March 22nd. Take the train on the 24th through the Chunnel to Paris. Trian from Paris to Bayonne and bus from there to SJPdP. Weather permitting,I will begin my journey on March 25th from SJPdP. I appreciate all the support I have received and hope to make new friends along my Journey.

Joe Flavin

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back