• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances/Salvador/Primitivo/Finisterre-Muxia...Possible to visit The Cross Of Christ

SoLive

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2018)
2+ questions actually!! LOL! One about The Cross of Christ (I think it's in the Monestary of Lebaniego?) & the other about getting from Muxia to Madrid at the end of my pilgrimage.

I start my first EVER Caminos in Sept.'18! After watching & LOVING several dvd's on the Camino, (recommended by my local REI Rep/fellow peregrino) the dvd 'Footprints: The Path of Your Life' introduced me to the 'Cross of Christ' & I feel if it is even remotely possible, I MUST see it!

1) Is there a way to incorporate a visit into my existing itinerary without actually adding another full camino? And is it possible for a non catholic pilgrim to see, kiss or touch the actual cross? If so how do I gain permission?

2) If walking from Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia how would you recommend getting to Madrid. I've read that some have walked back to Finisterre to a lighthouse & end their pilgrimage by enjoying a sunset there. Anyone have suggestions? This sounds beautiful!

I will being flying back to the states (Atlanta, Ga.) from Madrid but don't really know how to plan to get there nor how to properly end my Camino! (Haven't even STARTED & already emotional by the idea of its ending! LOL!)

Thanks in advance!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1) Is there a way to incorporate a visit into my existing itinerary without actually adding another full camino? And is it possible for a non catholic pilgrim to see, kiss or touch the actual cross? If so how do I gain permission?
It is closest to the Camino del Norte, but not near the Camino Frances. There are open hours most days, but I think touching the cross is a long shot, Catholic or not. It is an important relic, and having a lot of greasy fingerprints will not help preserve it. ;)

It is closest to the Camino del Norte, but not near the Camino Frances. There are open hours most days, but I think touching the cross is a long shot, Catholic or not. It is an important relic, and having a lot of greasy fingerprints will not help preserve it. ;)
Thanks for the reply. I asked the questions about 'touching, kissing or actually seeing' because that's what the visitors in the film were able to do under direct supervision & awareness of the fact that this is indeed an 'important relic'. Coming from a family of 9 ministers I assure you my hands nor lips would be greasy if given the opportunity to cherish such a gift!;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Perhaps you might like to start on the Norte, walk the Vadiniense down to the Frances (passing the monastary on the way, 2-3 days after you leave the Norte) and then finish the route to Santiago on the Frances. If you can read Spanish (or google translate), this link shows the Camino Vadiniense: https://www.gronze.com/camino-vadiniense

I have been at the Santo Toribio monastery when the cross was brought out during a mass and everyone who wanted to was able to kiss it. This was more than ten years ago on a non-camino trip. I don't think this is a regular occurrence, though. Last year was a special holy year, and I think it happened regularly then. Only kissing, though, no touching with hands.

There is a camino from San Vicente de la Barquera, the Camino Lebañiego, which goes to Potes and then on to the monastery. From there you can go onto the Camino Vadiniense, which merges with the Francés at Mansilla de las Mulas. From Potes to Fuente Dé and on through the senda da Ramoña is one of the most spectacular mountain stretches of any camino.

The other question is more straightforward. You can take a bus from Muxia to Santiago and then on to Madrid, but you may also find that a cab share works out to be almost as cheap and much cheaper. Either way, I think the only practicable route is back through Santiago.

p.s. you can find a fair amount of info on this route by scrolling through the posts in the sub-forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-vadiniense.100/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been at the Santo Toribio monastery when the cross was brought out during a mass and everyone who wanted to was able to kiss it. This was more than ten years ago on a non-camino trip. I don't think this is a regular occurrence, though. Last year was a special holy year, and I think it happened regularly then. Only kissing, though, no touching with hands.

There is a camino from San Vicente de la Barquera, the Camino Lebañiego, which goes to Potes and then on to the monastery. From there you can go onto the Camino Vadiniense, which merges with the Francés at Mansilla de las Mulas. From Potes to Fuente Dé and on through the senda da Ramoña is one of the most spectacular mountain stretches of any camino.

The other question is more straightforward. You can take a bus from Muxia to Santiago and then on to Madrid, but you may also find that a cab share works out to be almost as cheap and much cheaper. Either way, I think the only practicable route is back through Santiago.

p.s. you can find a fair amount of info on this route by scrolling through the posts in the sub-forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-vadiniense.100/
THANK YOU too 'peregrina2000' for both responses!
I saw where someone mentioned the possibility of a taxi from Leon to the city or the Monastery & if that is possible I may do that & taxi back to Leon to continue my walking itinerary!

2+ questions actually!! LOL! One about The Cross of Christ (I think it's in the Monestary of Lebaniego?) & the other about getting from Muxia to Madrid at the end of my pilgrimage.

I start my first EVER Caminos in Sept.'18! After watching & LOVING several dvd's on the Camino, (recommended by my local REI Rep/fellow peregrino) the dvd 'Footprints: The Path of Your Life' introduced me to the 'Cross of Christ' & I feel if it is even remotely possible, I MUST see it!

2) If walking from Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia how would you recommend getting to Madrid. I've read that some have waed back to Finisterre to a lighthouse & end their pilgrimage by enjoying a sunset there. Anyone have suggestions? This sounds beautiful!

I will being flying back to the states (Atlanta, Ga.) from Madrid but don't really know how to plan to get there nor how to properly end my Camino! (Haven't even STARTED & already emotional by the idea of its ending! LOL!)
Thanks in advance!

To visit The monastery of Santo Toribio de Liébana just outisde Potes, where the Cross of Christ is located, you may follow the Camino Lebaniego starting in San Vicente de la Barquera. It's a 72 km walk. From there you might follow the Camino Vladinese and make a connection to the Camino Francés to the south. The cross normal will be taken out once a year (during easter as far as I remember) to worship it. Otherwise it stays locked in a safe. The scene in Footprints was an unique gesture to the filmmaker, I believe.

If you're in Muxia or Finisterre, you will have to go back to Santiago to go to Madrid. Both Muxia and Finisterre are rather small towns on the coast.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To visit The monastery of Santo Toribio de Liébana just outisde Potes, where the Cross of Christ is located, you may follow the Camino Lebaniego starting in San Vicente de la Barquera. It's a 72 km walk. From there you might follow the Camino Vladinese and make a connection to the Camino Francés to the south. The cross normal will be taken out once a year (during easter as far as I remember) to worship it. Otherwise it stays locked in a safe. The scene in Footprints was an unique gesture to the filmmaker, I believe.

If you're in Muxia or Finisterre, you will have to go back to Santiago to go to Madrid. Both Muxia and Finisterre are rather small towns on the coast.

Buen Camino!
Thank you very much Niels! I thought it might have been a special situation for the group in the film! It moves me even more to think of it only being taken out during Easter or other Holy-Days of the year! I knew it was a long shot but I had to ask! I extended my original Camino to afford me the opportunity to visit the Cathedral in Oviedo just so I can see the Shroud! (I loved the idea of extending my Camino in general! LOL)! I just get more & more excited as I discover more & more about all of the Caminos & what they have to offer! Thank you again for responding!

There just is so much! If arriving in Santo Torobio, you might wanna take the same route as in Footprints. They take the Ruta la Reconqiista via Ruta Cares to get to the Holy Cave in Covadunga, which really is sacred to the Spanish people. But to walk the Ruta la Reconqiista you have to be experienced in the mountains. Enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
Hola!! In need of some ideas. I'm needing to fill in some time and was wondering, what city/town/village/small village would you spend an extra day/night in and why? Or, someplace special to stay...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back