• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances starting September 1, 2019

HML808

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
September 1, 2019
I am exited that my goat to walk the Camino is getting closer. I will start on Sept 1 in SJPAP and will hopefully arrive in Santiago on October 6th.
So far I could not make up my mind what Jacket to take along. The weather seems to be a mixed bag from 24 C to at times 9 C in the eveing in early October around Santiago. I do have a pretty nice rain Jacket that I will pack along, but I dont know what my main Travel Jacket should be ... I am leaning towards a softshell jacket (see image)

Now I wonder if I need that extra rain Jacket, since this sofshell Jacket (Decathlon) is also water resistant, or should I still take my lightweight rain Jacket along in case it really gets too cold and I will wear both of them? What do you guys think?
Camino-Jacket.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Keep your backapack super light. During september the temperature is still quite high (I started in SJPD on 23rd of August last year)... Think more in layers than pieces of equipment... So having one extra thermo shirt will provide you the potential warm instead of more clothes... Also, you will pass big cities so in case you have really bad weather you can go to Decathlon along the way... I dont even wear trousers for my caminos. I prefer running leggins and shorts... It takes up way less space... Ideally you wanna aim at the 5-7kg weight of your rucksack. For rain protection I usually use the foldable decathlon jacket for 5 euros

Take the rain jacket or a poncho. That soft shell jacket won’t hold up to a solid/lengthy rainfall which could certainly happen in Autumn.

On a related note, we will be starting our walk 8 days after you on the 9th.

Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am exited that my goat to walk the Camino is getting closer. I will start on Sept 1 in SJPAP and will hopefully arrive in Santiago on October 6th.
So far I could not make up my mind what Jacket to take along. The weather seems to be a mixed bag from 24 C to at times 9 C in the eveing in early October around Santiago. I do have a pretty nice rain Jacket that I will pack along, but I dont know what my main Travel Jacket should be ... I am leaning towards a softshell jacket (see image)

Now I wonder if I need that extra rain Jacket, since this sofshell Jacket (Decathlon) is also water resistant, or should I still take my lightweight rain Jacket along in case it really gets too cold and I will wear both of them? What do you guys think?
View attachment 61637
When i walked last spring i experienced rain, snow and heat. I used a fleece for warmth added rain jacket for rain and wind and neither for warm days. I was never cold IMO leave your jacket home. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from Sept. 6th to October 6th in 2018! I was really lucky with rain and never actually got rained on while walking. I had a long sleeve hiking shirt (lightweight sun hoodie), a 'micro-puffy' (synthetic down jacket that was very thin/minimal), and a water-proof raincoat shell. I also had a warm hat, and a buff I could put around my neck. Finally, I had a backup long sleeve 'warmer' shirt I could put on if needed. I ended up not really using it much. Sometimes I'd put it on instead of my puffy, but I don't think I ever put all of my layers on at once. I almost never hiked in any extra layers (hiked in my base hiking clothes), but put the layers on when I stopped to rest or in the mornings/evenings. It was a little chillier in the early mornings in the first week of October, and sometimes I'd walk the first hour or so in my pants, but usually changed to my shorts very quickly. I did the extension to the coast and that was by far the coldest (Oct. 6 to 11th) but I was still happy with the layers I had.
EDIT: I ended up making this website once I started digging into my pack list. Pack list information, and why I brought each item is included! My pack was 3.9kg.

Last edited:
Hi There. Walked CF in Sept a few years ago from SJPP. Hot as. Only had one rain day the whole way. Starting from Pamplona this September 3rd. Packweight 7kg or less. Wore trail running shoes, one size bigger than normal and marino double socks. Also vasiline on feet every morning. no blisters. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back