• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Summer 2013

Raymey42

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer (2013)
Planning on doing the Camino Frances this summer. Bit of a last minute thing, so, contrary to what I've just said, there has been very little planning! I do a lot of running, so I'd regard myself fairly fit, but it is a fair bit of walking everyday. I'm just wondering, am I mad to take this on at such short notice? :)

Regards

Raymey

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am most likely doing the same. Looks like I will be starting towards the end of August....date to be confirmed.

Just trying to finalise some sponsorship as I am going to do this one for charity. :grin:

Will update when I know more.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I think it's fine to do it last-minute, but there is a bit of a difference between running and walking. I really felt it in my hips when I first switched from running. And of course you need to get used to whatever shoes you plan on walking in. The endurance you have from running will be great though.

See if you can get up to about 4 hours of walking with a backpack before you go, and you'll probably feel a lot more confident. Take breaks every hour or so too -- you may be used to running continuously, but you'll have lots of opportunities to stop on the Camino.

If you can add some steep hills into the mix occasionally, that's even better. The first part of the Frances is hardly ever flat. But I found that even my training on mostly flat ground helped me with the hills.

Buen Camino!
Russell
http://www.farofflands.com/camino/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are far from "last-minte;" by some standards your advance timing is positively bureaucratic. I've met several people who learned about the Camino on a Monday, drove to the closest international airport on Tuesday, bought an immediate ticket and began walking Wednesday or Thursday. They seem to be doing just fine. Especially on Camino Frances, all you really need to bring is yourself and the rest will be provided - perhaps not all that you want, but certainly everything that you actually need.

I think that may be the first lesson. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I also only have a few weeks to get organised for July/August!

Just trusting in myself and the fact I am a very experienced walker and have a good mental attitude that I know shall be tested!

So grateful to have found this site!

Safe travels Ramney42!

:D

Raymey 42 ,

Just remember how the english train their horses .
Slow early mate , just a canter, and once the miles are in the legs all distances are easily covered.

Start like and old man and finish as a young one.
** The reverse will be very obvious very early.

Have a great Camino
David

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I totally agree, and if you do it in that order, by the time you get near the end you will relish the thought of a long hard climb ahead - it will feel exciting. We had a nice moment when a much younger bloke was recommended to take the easier low route at one stage, but they said to us, "You've walked from SJPP, you can easily manage the high road :) "
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

Raymey42 said:
I'm just wondering, am I mad to take this on at such short notice? :)

Raymey42--- I met a man in his 70's that learned about the Camino and the following week he was at SJPDP; no joke, for real. He was a businessman from Florida. He finished the Camino, loved it. He was a pleasure to talk to. He took the basic with him and had the means so he bought rain gear when he needed it, etc.... He was inspirational! :wink:

GO FOR IT! If it is not your time, it will not happen, simple as that.

Ive been thinking about it for months but only booked last week starting July 14th. Can't wait. By the way folks how do you post your own question on the forum. Is it correct you can't pre book the albergues. Booked first night in sjpdp after that who knows... Good luck..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Still haven't taken the plunge yet and booked anything. I'm the king of procrastination! :) I'm now thinking of just doing the first half of it for now and maybe then doing a little bit of travelling around the rest of Spain. What's a good hop of point to do this?

Raymey

Everyone's experience will vary but my experience would suggest that you will be glad if you commit to the entire Camino even at the expense of not seeing other historic and interesting parts of Spain.

It's hard to convey but once you have been walking for a week or more, you become part of a container that is co-created with your fellow peregrinos. That container is one of the most unique and special environments in which to live, and (again IMHO) much more rewarding and valuable than "just another sightseeing vacation," no matter how interesting or incredible the vacation sights might be. Far better to spend as much time in the Camino container as possible now, and make a separate trip in the future for traditional sightseeing.

My $0.02. Obviously not everyone can make time for the entire 5+ weeks to walk the whole Camino. If so doing only part of it is certainly authentic, but I have yet to meet anyone doing it that way who hasn't wished they could have done the entire thing contiguously.

I don't think it is too last minute. I'd say the most important thing is to pack light, and do a few walks with your full pack before you go to see how you feel and be able to adjust accordingly. There are some great recommendations on packing and training at: http://www.caminocommunityguide.com Shoes are key. I took hiking books, and wished I had taken trail running shoes instead. It was too hot for hiking boots. Be very careful re your feet. Stop occasionally, and take off your shoes to let your feet breath and socks dry out. There are also great recommendations about route and lodging on that site above.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.