• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - time to walk with most albergues open

skevin

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2015 - SJPP to SdC
Hi all,

So I’ve walked the St Jean to SdC (Sept - Oct 2015) and Lisbon to SdC ( Aug - Sept 2018). In the Frances, it was crowded, lining up for beds in many towns and having to finish for the day at about 2.00pm to be guaranteed a bed.This was the case for the most part, not all. It was a bit unpleasant really.
Total opposite in Portugal - was often alone for days at a time and sometimes only 3 or 4 people in an albergue - also because it was summer and in many ways not a good time to walk.

I’d like to wall the Frances again - this time a bit slower to smell the roses. Also I’ve a dodgy knee issue and Frances makes it easier as the next town is generally not too far away.

my question is this - what month do most albergues open to start their season? This would mean fewer pilgrims and an almost 100% chance of nabbing a bed in each town without the stress of thinking about accom each and every day. Is it March?Feb? And then Oct/Nov?I remember then months were on that awesome white gold out sheet the pilgrims office gives you must I lost mine somewhere along the way......

thank you kindly in advance for your help.
Shaun

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
April/May.
If you are walking short stages you are likely to arrive early enough to get a bed so long as the albergue is open. If you go in February/March you might encounter albergues that are still closed for the winter.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm in my "21-days-to-go" moment now ;), and the only thing regarding the Camino that I know for sure, is that I'll never see pilgrims waiting for a bed. Although until March 1st there are lots of albergues opening season, in February I never had any problem to find one open.
Less options to choose, for sure, but the price is worthy: no crowd, no tourists, calm everywhere,...

We've hiked CF three times, always from mid-Sept to late October. First camino, we had no reservations and did fine. Second and third, there were many more pilgrims walking and we were glad we made advance reservations. We're hiking CF again this fall during the same timeframe and once again have reservations every night. I'm sure there are fewer pilgrims that start in early October, but the weather may be mixed and albergues start closing in late October. Bob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suggest that starting in March to early April would work well. In fact, I think there are enough beds available throughout the year on the Frances, that you don't need to worry, as long as you check each day for the route ahead and what stopping options you might want or need. (Don't expect to arrive in a small village in January and find the only albergue open. You might need to plan the stages a bit, but there should be no problem in doing so if you have a bit of flexibility in your schedule.) There are two points to note for March-April:
  1. The Napoleon route from SJPP will be closed, so you would walk via Valcarlos or perhaps start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona.
  2. You should determine where you will be during Semana Santa, and work out a bit of a plan for the key dates - especially from Wednesday to Easter Sunday. It is a very interesting time to be in Spain, but the lodging in some towns becomes scarce.
I have walked several times in late-October-November and found it to be an excellent time to walk. The same considerations (except Easter) apply.

Gronze.com lists open dates that I have found to be quite accurate. Walking in 2018, we found most albergues open in April with a few starting May 1 (I’m looking at your San Aton!...nothing worse than being one day too early to stay.😔)

Found the route to be pleasantly uncrowded but not empty.

Gronze.com lists open dates that I have found to be quite accurate. Walking in 2018, we found most albergues open in April with a few starting May 1 (I’m looking at your San Aton!...nothing worse than being one day too early to stay.😔)

Found the route to be pleasantly uncrowded but not empty.

Excellent advice, thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In March you will need to take the lower route via Valcaros from SJPDP.
Also check when Holy Weelk and Easter occurs. The route from Sarria to SdC will be like high season...you will definitely be competing for beds then.

Also, despite indications that albergues are open in Feb + March, call ahead to verify. In bad weather some places simply close up shop...it happened to us!

Last edited:
I walked in July '19 and did found 1 Albergue closed on the whole CF from SJPdP to SdC.

Hi all,

So I’ve walked the St Jean to SdC (Sept - Oct 2015) and Lisbon to SdC ( Aug - Sept 2018). In the Frances, it was crowded, lining up for beds in many towns and having to finish for the day at about 2.00pm to be guaranteed a bed.This was the case for the most part, not all. It was a bit unpleasant really.
Total opposite in Portugal - was often alone for days at a time and sometimes only 3 or 4 people in an albergue - also because it was summer and in many ways not a good time to walk.

I’d like to wall the Frances again - this time a bit slower to smell the roses. Also I’ve a dodgy knee issue and Frances makes it easier as the next town is generally not too far away.

my question is this - what month do most albergues open to start their season? This would mean fewer pilgrims and an almost 100% chance of nabbing a bed in each town without the stress of thinking about accom each and every day. Is it March?Feb? And then Oct/Nov?I remember then months were on that awesome white gold out sheet the pilgrims office gives you must I lost mine somewhere along the way......

thank you kindly in advance for your help.
Shaun
Just finished a short walk On the Maseta. Next time I’ll wait until March. Even a number of municipal s were closed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back