• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Tips

peterjbarry

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are starting the Camino this Sunday, 22nd July, from Sarria to Santiago.
We are planning to walk AND run for 5 days from Sunday-Thursday inclusive and have a few questions:

1. Parts to Run
Has anyone ever run part of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago before? If so, any tips on which bits to run? We would obviously prefer running the flatter, more manageable parts of the routes. Any tips would be welcome!

2. Accommodation
Also we have accommodation sorted in Sarria and Santiago so does anyone have tips on which albuergues to stay in in:
1. Portomarin;
2. Palas de Rei;
3. Arzua; and
4. Rua.

3. Bag transfer
From reading the forums, it seems to be ok to transfer bags from one place to the next. How does this work? Are there signs in the Albuergues advertising the service? And is it about €5?

We’re really looking forward to it, particularly after watching The Way at the weekend!
Any help appreciated!
Many thanks / Go raibh maith agaibh.
Pete and Cathy :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Its an undulating route from Sarria to Santiago - down to little streams and rivers and up the other side. You'll know the flat parts when you get there - mostly on small tarred roads!! :lol:

El Mirador in Portomarin is good. At the top of the long steep flight of stairs into the town - on the left.
Buen Camino in Palas de Rei is a private albergue with some smaller rooms.
In Arzua the Alberue Via Lactea is nice.
In Arca the Porta de Santiago is modern and comfortable.

Have a good walk/jog/run. You might be able to do the distance in 4 days if you run more than you walk!

peterjbarry said:
Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are starting the Camino this Sunday, 22nd July, from Sarria to Santiago.
We are planning to walk AND run for 5 days from Sunday-Thursday inclusive and have a few questions:

1. Parts to Run
Has anyone ever run part of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago before? If so, any tips on which bits to run? We would obviously prefer running the flatter, more manageable parts of the routes. Any tips would be welcome!

2. Accommodation
Also we have accommodation sorted in Sarria and Santiago so does anyone have tips on which albuergues to stay in in:
1. Portomarin;
2. Palas de Rei;
3. Arzua; and
4. Rua.

3. Bag transfer
From reading the forums, it seems to be ok to transfer bags from one place to the next. How does this work? Are there signs in the Albuergues advertising the service? And is it about €5?

We’re really looking forward to it, particularly after watching The Way at the weekend!
Any help appreciated!
Many thanks / Go raibh maith agaibh.
Pete and Cathy :D

Hi sillydoll

Thank you so much for your information. That's really great and much appreciated.

4 days is shall be our target so!

Thanks again
Pete.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pete and Cathy,

East of Palas de Rei on the Camino before you get to the town itself is a pleasant motel type hotel and restaurant, La Cabana. See -- http://www.complejolacabana.com/. They seem to have a special price for walkers at least in winter. I have often eaten their delicious Menu de Dia but stay in the municipal albergue next door. Once can sit in the pleasant Cabana bar for hours with free WiFi access.

Have a great run and a Buen Camino!

Margaret

Thanks again all :)

If anyone has any tips on getting our bags from one albergue to another that would be great. We'd ideally only like to carry our day bags when we're running / walking!

Cheers
Pete.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Most accommodations have a list of baggage transportation companies and the places where they will pick up and drop off. Jacotrans is one of the better advertised baggage movers, and I have successfully used them once.
http://www.jacotrans.com/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Xacotrans operate in Galicia and charge €3 per bag per stage - a stage being about 25km.

The albergues will have their contact details or you leave your bags in the foyer by 8am with the appropriate amount of money in an envelope and the name of the town/albergue where you plan on staying the next night.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.