• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino Frances Valcarlos route.

mingling

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal Lisbon to porto
Hola from Valcarlos! Just arrived from SJDP. Very warm. They say a heatwave is in this area.
The ambience was beautiful. The traffic challenging at times but very doable. The people are so wonderful!
Great meal here and ready for a siesta. After several glasses of wine.
Buen camino

IMG_0109.jpegIMG_0298.jpegIMG_0317.jpegIMG_0112.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Mingling!
Wish i was there; have a wonderful Camino post your progress and i will follow the thread with interest.

I was due in SJPP late yesterday from Biarritz to walk the Valcarlos route starting tomorrow 4th May!
Booked SJPP and Valcarlos last August.
But two weeks ago i fell over a wooden garden flowerbed and got a raging infection in my leg been taking mega amount of antibiotics 4x 500g a day it still wont go away and blood pressure is going nuts!!!!
I was still coming up until Friday; when my daughter put me right by saying i was a bl**dy idiot and i realised she was right.
As Arnie would say I'll be back ha! 🤣 ha!
Buen Camino
Woody

Mingling,

Do be aware that there are NO services or supply stops between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. Be sure to carry trail snacks and water for your second day.

You might want to get an early start tomorrow because of the heat. If you
shop tonight you can begin at sunrise.

Valcarlos is the route I always followed whatever the season. Take your time on all those switchbacks.

Good luck with your plans and Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola from Valcarlos! Just arrived from SJDP. Very warm. They say a heatwave is in this area.
The ambience was beautiful. The traffic challenging at times but very doable. The people are so wonderful!
Great meal here and ready for a siesta. After several glasses of wine.
Buen camino

View attachment 146138View attachment 146139View attachment 146140View attachment 146141
I hope you have a wonderful Camino as you are just getting started. I’m planning on walking in late October. The napoleon route will most likely be closed. I’d like to know about accommodations on the valcarlos, if you are staying at one of the places. Take care.

Today we had the pleasure of going from Valcarlos to Roncevelos. I cannot imagine a more beautiful day. Cool in the morning and when the sun rose it was accompanied by a wonderful breeze. We elected to leave early so that we were in the dark on the roads to avoid any type of traffic. We really did not encounter any vehicles for the first several hours and by then we had started on the trails. There were several marginal Road with very little walking space. We were so glad we chose to go early and miss the the traffic.
Although there were challenging times with steep elevation changes it was not too difficult. The trails next to the creek were bountiful with spring flowers, bees, and butterflies. The butterflies were white, some with dots and a few with absolutely beautiful, dark orange wings. You were shaded most of the way. We did go on the road several places for a very short distance and then fed right back into the beautiful creek areas.
Yes, be sure to carry enough water as there are no stops on the way. We chose to bring cheese and rolls for breakfast and stopped for a while next to a stream to eat.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola from Zubiri,
Anther beautiful day! Weather was perfect, the full moon this morning was mesmerizing and lit our way until day break. Foggy at times. Haunting bells chiming everywhere. We thought they were cows but discovered horses also wear bells.
The huge difference is that there were pilgrims everywhere. The last few days we seldomly saw more than a few.
Both ways are great. I met many interesting people today but then I have never met a stranger. People from everywhere! All understanding the language of the pilgrims.
Got to Zubiri early and walked through the town. Plan to get to bed early get to Pamplona for several days.

IMG_0343.jpegIMG_0359.jpegIMG_0183.jpegIMG_0321.jpegIMG_0332.jpeg

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I hope you have a wonderful Camino as you are just getting started. I’m planning on walking in late October. The napoleon route will most likely be closed. I’d like to know about accommodations on the valcarlos, if you are staying at one of the places. Take care.
Im walking the Valcarlos route in september. Would like info on accommodations too. Buen Camino...dont forget to drink lots of water...

Hi Mingling!
Wish i was there; have a wonderful Camino post your progress and i will follow the thread with interest.

I was due in SJPP late yesterday from Biarritz to walk the Valcarlos route starting tomorrow 4th May!
Booked SJPP and Valcarlos last August.
But two weeks ago i fell over a wooden garden flowerbed and got a raging infection in my leg been taking mega amount of antibiotics 4x 500g a day it still wont go away and blood pressure is going nuts!!!!
I was still coming up until Friday; when my daughter put me right by saying i was a bl**dy idiot and i realised she was right.
As Arnie would say I'll be back ha! 🤣 ha!
Buen Camino
Woody
Get well soon, and then ultreia y suseia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back