• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Camino Frances - via London and Paris

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike mcbroom

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis June 17, 2015 ,Portagusee from Porto to Santiago August 2016, Francis may 2018 this year wil
We are planning to land in London on August 2 and spend a couple days then on to Paris (train) for a few days then on to SJPD.
I am getting a bit concerned about the stops in London and Paris.
Any thoughts appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Covid requirements. Worried about crossing borders

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No one can tell you now what restrictions will be 6 months from now. You'll just have to remain flexible with your itinerary.
I think you are correct

We crossed those same borders (plus Portugal!) in both early September and mid-December 2021, right as Delta waned and Omicron appeared. The regulations changed many, many times during our planning sessions and even up to the day we boarded our flight back to the US.

In short, you can be aware and prepare for changes (cancellable hurtle/flights, for instance) but there is no way to know what your situation will be when you travel. Governments want to reopen, they want tourists and the dollars they spend, and they want to make it easy as long as it’s safe. Always have a Plan B (and C…and sure, D-Z!), but don’t give up hope.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We crossed those same borders (plus Portugal!) in both early September and mid-December 2021, right as Delta waned and Omicron appeared. The regulations changed many, many times during our planning sessions and even up to the day we boarded our flight back to the US.

In short, you can be aware and prepare for changes (cancellable hurtle/flights, for instance) but there is no way to know what your situation will be when you travel. Governments want to reopen, they want tourists and the dollars they spend, and they want to make it easy as long as it’s safe. Always have a Plan B (and C…and sure, D-Z!), but don’t give up hope.
Well said. We will go if we can get to London or change that flight to just Spain.

We are planning to land in London on August 2 and spend a couple days then on to Paris (train) for a few days then on to SJPD.
I am getting a bit concerned about the stops in London and Paris.
Any thoughts appreciated.
At present because your coming from the UK into France you need to have proof that you have had 2 vaccines and your booster vaccine then have a negative pcr check 24 hours before you leave for France , as that is what I have to produce at the end of next month ...however restrictions can change at any time so just keep an eye on these restrictions

The most stringent requirements that I have seen call for fully vaccinated/boosted and a COVID neg test within 24 hours. If you allow yourself a few days in London and a few days in Paris that will provide enough time to get COVID test/results for the next leg of your journey.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The most stringent requirements that I have seen call for fully vaccinated/boosted and a COVID neg test within 24 hours. If you allow yourself a few days in London and a few days in Paris that will provide enough time to get COVID test/results for the next leg of your journey.
There was a point where travel from the UK was only permitted for essential reasons. But hopefully that won't happen again.

Booked to depart Australia on August 16, transit in Heathrow depart August 17 for Paris, overnight then train to SPdP. Stop overs in Madrid, Paris, London on way home in October.
Worry about restrictions and entry conditions a couple of weeks before hand. Confident things should be easier but wait and see.
Buen Camino all.

No one can tell you now what restrictions will be 6 months from now. You'll just have to remain flexible with your itinerary.

Yes, being flexible is the key. If you test positive for COVID, you better be flexible and have the funds to stay an extra week in Europe.

If you don't like the uncertainty, then stay at home like me and a lot of other people.

-Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is very unlikely that current covid stuff will survive much longer. Even so, August is so far away as to be beyond prediction.

At present because your coming from the UK into France you need to have proof that you have had 2 vaccines and your booster vaccine then have a negative pcr check 24 hours before you leave for France , as that is what I have to produce at the end of next month ...however restrictions can change at any time so just keep an eye on these restrictions
Is it negative PCR for entry into France, from UK, or will lateral flow be ok?

What if you go through London, but don’t leave the airport?

€149,-
It can be either PCR or antigen test (lateral flow) but must be certified by a recognised laboratory. So, you can't use a self-test. You need to book and pay for a private lab test.

It can be either PCR or antigen test (lateral flow) but must be certified by a recognised laboratory. So, you can't use a self-test. You need to book and pay for a private lab test.
Ok, thanks. We had to get a lateral flow before flying to Porto in September. Just booked a test at the airport. Quick and efficient. Results in 44 minutes to our phones. This time we're going by Eurostar, to Paris. Travelling to London the day before and will book a test at St Pancras, if needed (end April)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it negative PCR for entry into France, from UK, or will lateral flow be

Both PCR and lateral flow tests are the same except that it's the latter you want at a designated government approval clinic if you want to leave the UK within 48 hours ..this is the one I will opt for in 6 weeks time if the French still insists all UK arrivals should have one ..then I simply download the result onto my e-ticket along with my covid passport so when I check in they just scan the QR Code and the French will do the same

Well said. We will go if we can get to London or change that flight to just Spain.
Hopefully France will only have non vaccinated restrictions in place shortly it save everyone from getting a covid test but if for some reason thete is the option of flying to San Sebastian via Madrid and start from the Spanish boarder with France thus just losing out by one stage

Both PCR and lateral flow tests are the same except that it's the latter you want at a designated government approval clinic if you want to leave the UK within 48 hours ..this is the one I will opt for in 6 weeks time if the French still insists all UK arrivals should have one ..then I simply download the result onto my e-ticket along with my covid passport so when I check in they just scan the QR Code and the French will do the same
Will you take this at home before flying or upon arrival in London? Thx!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The responses so far cover most of the elements of what was required when my wife and I travelled to England in January:

a. we required a negative PCR test to fly, and a further negative PCR test to leave isolation when we arrived in the UK. We tested at Heathrow on arrival and were allowed to travel to our accommodation to isolate. We could have travelled from Heathrow to our accommodation first, and tested there. Either way, we had to have a test booked to complete the UK Passenger Locator Form which has to be completed before travel. The PCR test results took about 36 hours both times we tested (on arrival and before departure). On arrival, during this time you are not allowed to leave your accommodation. We were fortunate to be staying near our son and daughter-in-law, who arranged for a food parcel to be ready for us when we arrived. Getting meals delivered would also have been an option.

b. The rules for travel from the UK to Australia changed while we were in England. We knew this might happen, and had been holding out from booking the tests for our return travel, but as soon as we had booked the slightly more expensive PCR tests, the Australian Government changed the rules to allow rapid antigen (aka lateral flow) tests. There was a price difference of about 15% between the two type of tests at the lab we used.

c. Tests need to be done by a recognised lab, and self-administered tests will not be accepted. When checking in, we saw passengers ahead of us sent of to see if they could get a rapid test at the airport when they attempted to use self-administered test results. I didn't see them again, so I can only hope that they got their results back in time to be allowed to board.

d. On arrival in Australia, we were required to isolate until we had a negative test, which could have been either PCR or RAT. We use RATs we had obtained in the UK while we were there, so we could do this as soon as we had arrived in Sydney at the end of our international flight legs. As a result, we were not required to isolate any longer once we arrived home.

For the OP, you might find that a large part of your 'couple (of) days' in London is taken up in isolation if the isolation rules don't change and you still need to do a PCR test. There may be services that can provide results sooner than we experienced, but expect to pay more for that.

I wholeheartedly agree with the advice that things can and will change. Having a general idea of what might be required is fine, but detailed arrangements shouldn't be contemplated until much closer to one's travel dates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back