• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino frances vs portugues

BeckSTA

Hi
I'm walking the camino for a week during easter, i was thinking of doing the last bit (from sarria to santiago) but i know that it will be really busy so am considering doing the last bit of the portugues instead. can anyone recommend which one would be better? I'm going to be walking alone so would quite like to meet people along the way, but not have to fight for accommodation! this is my first camino, too : ) thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi - welcome to the forum. This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer. On the Camino Frances from Sarria there will be a lot of people over Easter - but more accommodation to cope with them. I reckon a lot of peple will also plump for Tui - Santiago on the Portugues route with a little less infrastructure. Choices, choices....no wrong answer I'm afraid! Personally I'd either go for the Camino Frances or walk the Camino Ingles from Ferrol or from Finisterre/Muxia back into Santiago!

I realise this answer is porbably not helpful!

John

I agree with Johnny here about the Portugal route. I believe that there will be loads of Spanish jumping on at Tui. Look at the stats for all of the walks, as the Spanish is the largest race of people who do this, they will be jumping on everywhere

Just my 2 cents worth

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Honestly, I can't think in terms of "better" when it comes to the Camino.
Each road is different and has it's own set of positives and negatives.
Each road is beautiful in its own way.

The only answer is to walk them ALL! ::laughing::

Given that choice I would walk from Valenca.

well, i enjoyed the walk from Braga, Portugal to Finnistera....not sure how long you have but even the walk from Tui, would be less crowded than the Franeis...but i love all of the Caminos, thats just my 2 cents. you will have no problem finding space to sleep on the Portuguese, in my opinion, which ever direction you take, will be beautiful. buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
this was my problem too, but a spanish girl told me to choose the portuguese route, and i am happy i did it!!!!!! ok, it was in May, 2 weeks AGO, but it wasn't crowded. at all. the albergues are old stone houses, beautifully restored. if you have time, i did it form Porto, along the coast, that was an excellent experience, as i am a sea-lover :)

a remark after one year and two french caminos - parts of the whole route:

i say i would do part of the french route, it has the roots, history, mountains!!! which other routes do not have!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back