• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

[Camino Frances] walking in spring 2016 without longsleeve

Erno1978

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello all,

I'm planning to walk my first (and probably only) camino (Frances) in spring 2016. I am trying to avoid two things:

1. Huge crowds
2. Cold temperatures (<15 degrees Celcius)

I found out that spring will fix both problems. Now to the finetuning of this plan. I have a feeling that walking in March might be too cold. Walking in Juni will be crowdier. Now even more finetuning. I will be walking in April / May. But now my question: when should I start walking if I wish to avoid walking with long sleeves / a jacket? Any expert tips on this? I'm now thinking of starting in the middle of April to get the best of both worlds...

Thanks for any info!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walk in long sleeves regardless of the temperature so can't really help!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Classic Spanish Spring in April more or less 5 degrees Celesius when you set out in the morning maximum 15C and a chilly evening for sure. Having said that, there hasn't been a "classic" Spanish Spring for the last few years, not getting warmer but colder including even snow. I don't like snow but find the 5-15 degrees perfect walking weather-gets you off to a nice pace in the morning and the afternoon temperatures don't wipe you out-hard to work up a sweat.

Hello all,

I'm planning to walk my first (and probably only) camino (Frances) in spring 2016. I am trying to avoid two things:

1. Huge crowds

I found out that spring will fix both problems. Now to the finetuning of this plan. I have a feeling that walking in March might be too cold. Walking in Juni will be crowdier. Now even more finetuning. I will be walking in April / May. But now my question: when should I start walking if I wish to avoid walking with long sleeves / a jacket? Any expert tips on this? I'm now thinking of starting in the middle of April to get the best of both worlds...

Thanks for any info!

Erno1978:

Not claiming to be an expert but these would be my thoughts on your plan.

Easter is early in 2016 and all Albergues usually open by April 1, so avoiding crowds in mid April is probably doable.

Temperatures <15 degrees Celsius in the mountains is less likely. I have walked all my Caminos in the Spring and would not consider walking in only short sleeves. You could very likely not be able to do the Napoleon route at this time of year do to snow. I usually wear a light long-sleeve shirt and fleece in the mornings. Then there are the Spring rains which can be quite cold. Rain gear, imo, a must have.

Ultreya,
Joe

Erno

I suffer less from the cold so a fleece for me is not necessary - instead I wore an Icebreaker 260 weight long sleeve with a zip - one thing I found was it warmed up after an hour or two of walking once the sun appeared - I also brought a technical t-shirt or Icebreaker 135-150 - you could also bring a Helly Hansen base layer that can be used at night or early morning - but light rain gear is a must

Mike

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello all,

1. Huge crowds

Thanks for any info!
Hi Erno, I walked this year starting at the 18th of April. I only wear a light running shirt with long sleeves, I don't like to get a sun burn. And I have a light wather thigt jacket, this works for me.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

You can walk in short sleeved shirts. I have walked two Camino Frances in late April and throughout May. However, you MUST have at least two long sleeve layers. For example, wearing a short sleeve merino wool or synthetic fiber shirt is okay IF you have a long sleeve fleece that can be worn under a long sleeve waterproof jacket.

I also recommend you include a proper head cap, like a synthetic "watch cap" or fisherman's beanie. Also include something to cover your neck. The ubiquitous Buff will do nicely. Finally, I always bring a pair of very lightweight microfiber "runner's" gloves for early morning and wet weather walking.

Winter survival training taught me to keep my feet, head, and hands dry and warm. If you are exerting yourself, torso temperature will take care of itself.

You WILL encounter snow at altitudes throughout the Camino Frances in April and May. In two consecutive years, I encountered snow at Cruz de Ferro. Last year, O'Cebreiro was lost in a white out for more than an hour. It was not a lot of snow, but everyone had to shelter in place because you could not see the yellow arrows until the snow stopped.

I recommend the waterproof parka have arm pit zippers to help ventilate the excess perspiration and heat generated while walking.

Finally, on the stretch from Burgos to Leon or Astorga, temperatures can hit the high 'teens or low 20s, even in April, and certainly in May. This is one reason why I highly recommend zip-off trouser legs in addition to the short sleeve shirt. Make sure you have a good sun hat. A Buff, when wet and rolled, makes a fine "air conditioner" around your neck. I use mine that way all the time.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
@Erno1978 - Would you be able to make the same precise prediction about the area where you live? I don't think there is anywhere in the world I would travel to, in any month, without taking a long-sleeved shirt! In northern Spain, weather is quite variable and the early mornings and evenings can be cool even in fine weather. @t2andreo gave some good advice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As the late Rev. Philip J. Wren oft stated..."the rain in Spain falls mainly on...Galicia..."

Most of Galicia is close enough to the ocean that coastal weather patterns, including sea squalls commonly blow in from the west. Even if it does not rain properly, there is still the early morning fog and mist to content with. That can be persistent and, if you are walking in it, you will get soaked.

I hope this helps.

First time on the Camino (May 2010) I took 2 short sleeved T shirts, 2 long sleeved shirts and a fleece, 2 pairs of zip off trousers (pants) and waterproofs. Some of the time it was so cold I wore all 3 layers plus the waterproof trousers just to keep warm and bought a second fleece to wear over the other 3 top layers. I had a single pair of longjohns and long sleeved T for night but needed to wear them as a warmth layer in the evenings.... I was wearing my waterproof trousers over my zip-offs to keep my legs warm when walking.
This year (also May) my kit was slightly different - 2 pairs extra light longjohns, long sleeved Ts, 2 fleeces, 2 ultralight sleeveless vests. Although I wore these at the start by mid-May the long sleeved shirts were keeping the sun off my arms....and rolled up at other times.

I would suggest that you take the sort of layers that allow for walking without sleeves, but can add a long sleeve if needed. As others have said waterproofs are an essential in Galicia. Personally I like a poncho and 'over trousers'.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.